• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #47

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tornadus is common enough, and hurricane on dragonite is somewhat viable, as well as nasty plot lucario w/ shadow ball

Tornadus is UU and takes 54.5% - 64.2% from a +2 LO Shadow Sneak. Dragonite and Lucario both run those moves, though both sets are by far less common than physical versions and Lucario can't OHKO anyway. If Gallade runs Jolly you outrun most Dragonite / Lucario.

Gallade is outclassed by Lucario but it still has a lot of cool options.

Offensive Swords Dance. Different stats / typing / movepool from Lucario.. Jolly hits higher speed than Adamant Lucario and 99.7% the same attack (effectively the same). It usually beats Lucario's counters / checks like Gliscor (Ice Punch + survives EQ), Gengar (Shadow Sneak), Scarf Tyranitar, Scarf Heatran, Defensive Hippowdon and Mach Punch Infernape.

Defensive Bulk Up. Bulk Up / Drain Punch / Ice Punch / Shadow Sneak with a specially defensive EV spread. Set speaks for itself. Bulk Up to grain great bulk and attack then sweep. It can run Substitute too.

Choice. Close Combat / Night Slash / Trick / Ice Punch. 2HKOs pretty much every Pokemon in the game barring Cresselia if you hold a Choice Band. Trick Scarf screws with stall if you need it to.

Status. Great Special Defense and Will-O-Wisp / Thunder Wave / Pain Split / a ton of other annoying options. Pretty much outclassed by Gardevoir unless you like throwing around Close Combats.

Zachmac

Wait what?
I think that t-wave paralyzing ground types was a rumor running around in early gen 5, and some people haven't realized that this hasn't changed.

T-wave is still good on some sets, though.
The best partner for Gallade is probably a baton passer... aka Ninjask... Ninjask and Gallade are buddies to the end because of how incredibly, insanely, ludicrous, and unfortunately odd Gallade's speed is. And Ninjask is the perfect cure for all those problems...
I mean, it's way too fast to abuse Trick Room, but too slow to have a chance at a sweep without(insert baton pass ideas here)boosting...
I think Ninjask is perfect for passing a couple of speed boosts(at least) as well as a Sword Dance... Cuz Gallade sure enjoys them swords
Most speed passers would work. Smeargle would also do a good job, baton passing dragon dance or shell smash.

menametlg

Ability:
Steadfast- Once flinched, the Spd raises by 1. Good ability.
Justified- Raises Atk once hit by Dark Type move. Good ability.

Swords Dance Sweeper
@Life Orb/Left-overs
Steadfast / Justified
Jolly / Adamant [252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SpDef]

- Swords Dance
- Psycho Cut / Close Combat
- Leaf Blade / Drain Punch
- Stone Edge / X-Scissor / Night Slash

Easy. Swords Dance for bost. Psycho Cut and Close Combat as offensive STAB. Leaf Blade is another offensive move while Drain Punch is for healing. Stone Edge and Night Slash cover your weaknesses while x-Scissor are for those Psychic Type who will try to resist your STAB.

Support?
@Light Clay
Careful [ 252 HP / 244 SpDef / 8 Atk]
SteadFast / Justified

- Thunder Wave / Toxic
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Taunt / Ice Punch / Drain Punch / Zen Headbutt

Although not that good, Gallade is also campable on supporting, thanks to its moderate SpDef and great Status Movepool. Thunder Wave and Toxic shuts some pokemon that serves as your threat. Light Screen and Reflect explain themselves. For the last slot, Taunt taunts the foe before they taunt you. Ice Punch is a damaging move that has no immunity. Drain Punch and Zen Headbutt are reliable STAB moves.

Choice
@Choice Band / Choice Scarf
Steadfast / Justified
Jolly / Adamant [252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SpDef]

- Psycho Cut / Close Combat
- Leaf Blade / Drain Punch
- Stone Edge / X-Scissor / Night Slash
- X-Scissor / Ice Punch / Thunder Punch

This set is a choicer. Moves explain themselves.

Partners
Anything that cover its weaknesses. Golem, Zweilous, Golurk, Stunfisk.

Countering
Since most set of Gallade are sweeping, Paraplinchers and Trick Room ruin him. Jirachi, Togekiss, Rotom, Jellicent.

Pre-Evo
Kirlia is cute. This is the reason why I just add him here.

I don't know if someone posted this already, but I will, so here goes.

Gallade@Leftovers
Ability:Steadfast
EVs:not too sure
Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SpAtk), Jolly (+Spd, -SpAtk)
-Bulk Up
-Substitute
-Drain Punch
-Shadow Sneak

This set runs Bulk Up and Substitute to become more bulky and stronger and boost its weak Defense. It also has Drain Punch to heal off Substitute damage and for Fighting STAB and also to complete Ghost-Fighting neutrality with Shadow Sneak.

(was this an ok post? its my first!)

Specscavalier made Other Options. There's living proof that it is, in fact, a sexy beast.

Gallade is pretty cool in RU. It works in upper tiers, I suppose, but it's very nice in RU. Bulk Up is my personal favorite, since you can stay alive pretty well as long as you can land a Drain Punch every now and then. Evolite Gligar don't even do squat because of Ice Punch. SD is also very nice, since Close Combat just kills things.

Yeah, I'm really trying to make this post look useful.

He spies... he hits
@Scope Lens
Ability: Steadfast / Justified
EVs/Nature: Jolly / Adamant [252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SpDef or 4 HP or 4 Def]

- Close Combat / Drain Punch
- Psycho Cut
- Leaf Blade
- Shadow Sneak

In my opinion, apart from maybe adding Swords Dance, this is your only viable set for Gallade. Close Combat for sheer power or Drain Punch is you want a healing option as STABs that can take out most Steels. Psycho Cut as another STAB that gets boosted by a doubly high crit ratio (thanks to scope lens). Leaf Blade is a strong move that takes out Bulky Waters. Shadow Sneak for priority.

Zachmac

Scope lens is a gimmick, since crits are still going to be rare anyway...It's probably worthy of mentioning under other options, though.

Usatoday

Eternal God
Seriously guys try running a wish set
475.gif
@ Leftovers
Careful
Steadfast
252 hp 60 atk 196 sp def
Wish
Drain Punch
WoW
Bulk Up

GirlKirbyZombie

Pokemon Rancher
Here's a common Gallade set.

Nature: Careful
Ability: Either will do
EVs: 126 HP + Attack, 188 in defence, and 63 in Sp. Def
Moves:
Shadow Sneak
Bulk up
Drain Punch
Psycho Cut/Encore

You can encore on a flinchy (if you had steadfast) or non-harmful move or start bulking up right away. Drain Punch will keep your health up and not risk loosing defenses. Lastly, shadow sneak gives you priority.

SwiftGrovyle

Official POTW Fact Checker
Scope lens is a gimmick, since crits are still going to be rare anyway...It's probably worthy of mentioning under other options, though.

Speaking of the Devil. And it's one of my Favs. I have three.

Other Options

Gravity is gimmicky, but if you want to try it with Stone edge and Earthquake, be my guest.
Trick room fits ok with an Iron ball, I guess. Can't say I haven't seen it.
Focus punch combined with either Hypnosis or Substitute works well. Hypnosis is also useful for switching.
Other statuses from Burn, to Taunt to parahax, to Toxic, to even confusion. A lot of choices.
Zen headbutt works with any status, and can be a good Stab move. Sadly, the accuracy is 90, and most people will perfer Psycho cut.
Destiny bond is a classic lead move, and works with his low defense. A pokemon for a pokemon, possibly ruining a sweep, too.
Elemental punches work well, Fire hurts Ferrothorn, Thunder hurts bulky waters, and Ice hurts Gliscor, Evolite-Gligar, and dragons.
Scope lens, as my friend has mentioned, boosts critical hit ratio. Nice if you carry Stone edge, Psycho cut, Night slash, and/or Leaf blade. It also doesn't hurt to mention because of Gallade's bulk- too little for leftys at times, and more than enough for life orb at others. Then of course, we also have the Expert belt.

Missingno. Master

Poison-type Trainer
Also, why night slash? That's dark type, so it doesn't get any STAB.

Since it would be Gallade's only attacking move on that set, I wanted something that nothing was immune to. Ghost-types laugh at Drain Punch, Dark-types sneer at Psycho Cut, Steel-types deflect Poison Jab with ease, anything with Sap Sipper just eats Leaf Blade right up, Ground-types don't feel ThunderPunch, anything with Flash Fire doesn't feel the burn from Fire Punch, Normal-types don't believe in Shadow Sneak, Flying-types soar above Earthquake, Shedinja is immune to Ice Punch, Aerial Ace is too weak, and Stone Edge has too little PP and too low accuracy for such a defensive set. This leaves only Night Slash. Well, and Rock Slide, but imperfect accuracy and lower PP leaves Night Slash the superior choice.

Ninja Gallade

Epic ninja
Since it would be Gallade's only attacking move on that set, I wanted something that nothing was immune to. Ghost-types laugh at Drain Punch, Dark-types sneer at Psycho Cut, Steel-types deflect Poison Jab with ease, anything with Sap Sipper just eats Leaf Blade right up, Ground-types don't feel ThunderPunch, anything with Flash Fire doesn't feel the burn from Fire Punch, Normal-types don't believe in Shadow Sneak, Flying-types soar above Earthquake, Shedinja is immune to Ice Punch, Aerial Ace is too weak, and Stone Edge has too little PP and too low accuracy for such a defensive set. This leaves only Night Slash. Well, and Rock Slide, but imperfect accuracy and lower PP leaves Night Slash the superior choice.

Actually, what about another Gallade, or the unova dogs, or anyone who has the ability JUSTIFIED?????????

Zachmac

Actually, what about another Gallade, or the unova dogs, or anyone who has the ability JUSTIFIED?????????
They aren't actually immune, but they do get attack boost.
Focus punch combined with either Hypnosis or Substitute works well. Hypnosis is also useful for switching.
Ooh, you just gave me some inspiration.

Wannabe Breloom
Leftovers/Stead Fast
Impish/252HP/252attack
-Hypnosis
-Substitute
-Focus Punch
-Ice Punch/Night Slash/Stone Edge

Hypnosis puts an enemy sleep, forcing a free swap out. Then, you can substitute safely. Third move is STAB, and last move is coverage.

PhilosophicalPsychologica

"If you go off topic, I'll infract you."

I must say that made me lol...

You'd think we'd do Gallade and Gardevoir together, but I regress...

inb4medichamcomparisons
First off, Gallade obviously benefits from the Drain Punch power boost (especially due to resisting it itself). What makes him stand out over Medicham is pure bulk, so Gallade can charge up the Swords and theaten with DP very easily (Medicham obviously is a much more brash Pokemon, esp. with HJK).
Gallade is one of the more defensive Fighters out there, which is an advantage Gall must use to avoid overshadowing by the other new Fighters.

Key moves of Gallade's include Shadow Sneak and also the variety Psychic-Type brings, like another STAB and a plethora of TMs and Egg Moves like WOW and T-Wave.

Gallade also strongly benefits from Justified, as it is a Psychic-Type not weak to Dark. This is especially helpful on Psychic-mono teams. It also Gallade to appreciate switching into an attack such as Knock Off, and especially Beat Up in multi-battles. Otherwise, Gallade can use Skill Swap.

It is also notable how comfortably Gallade can combat Jellicent, with moves such as Leaf Blade, Magic Coat, Safeguard, Taunt, and pure SpDef.

In multibattles, Gallade's options broaden by much:
Reflect, Light Screen, Safeguard, Hypnosis, Helping Hand, Heal Pulse, Encore, Disable, Ally Switch, Destiny Bond, Memento, Grudge.

Although use these moves at your discretion; Gardevoir's support options are identical to that of Gallade's, and Gardevoir has the Telepathy Ability to make use of.

I have the feeling we'll do Vanilluxe very soonish...

Kraleck

Wannabe Breloom
Leftovers/Stead Fast
Impish/252HP/252attack
-Hypnosis
-Substitute
-Focus Punch
-Ice Punch/Night Slash/Stone Edge

Hypnosis puts an enemy sleep, forcing a free swap out. Then, you can substitute safely. Third move is STAB, and last move is coverage.

I love Sub-Punchers as much as the next guy, but Gallade is one you'd least expect. That said, you can catch so many people off guard with Hypno-Sub-Punch Gallade. They'll see Hypnosis and likely think you're a Status-spammer, only to get Focus Punched in the face.

Any Pokemon capable of Sub-piercing (Technician Cinccino, Icicle Spear-Cloyster, Dual Chop-Dragons, Bonemerang/Bone Rush-Marowak, and a few others) will have a good chance to ruin a Sub-Punch since Multi-hit Moves (like those mentioned) are Physical. Rock Blast is the least worrysome because of the bad matchup of Rock VS Fighting, so you have a slim chance to keep your Sub, even with Gallade's low HP. My mention of Rock Blast use reminded me of Garbodor, who has access to Acid Spray, and that got me thinking further...

Among potential Special options for countering Gallade, Acid Spray is one of the ones to worry about. Your Sp.Def getting halved in one hit ruins any Focus Sash potential (unlikely) and decreases Gallade's ability to Special Wall. Few Pokemon have the Sp.Atk to use Acid Spray properly, but Tentacruel, Accelgor, and Octillery have the best potential. However, all 3 have issues against Gallade's offense:
-Accel' fears getting hit in-general* and can only neutral-hit Gallade
-Octillery needs Trick Room to outrun Gallade, is easily handled by either Thunderpunch or Leaf Blade, and is only-slightly-less of a glass cannon than Rampardos
-'cruel has low Defense, slightly-above-average Sp.Atk, and is handled by either Thunderpunch or Bulldoze/EQ
-All 3 may only get a single shot in if they have to switch into Gallade

* Crunching the numbers, CB-Shadow Sneak is a rarely-3-mostly-2 KO (barring Giga Drain, Leftovers, Sitrus Berry, etc.) against an Accelgor with 31 IV, 4 EV HP and 31 IV, 0 EV Defense (those EVs are rather likely, given its high Base Speed and Sp.Atk stats). CB-Shadow Sneak is guaranteed to 2KO after a single Justified boost. Given Gallade's possibility for stronger Moves, you'll probably only see this matchup (if at all) when both are at the start of a battle.

VictiniKing

King of W.I.S.H.
I love Gallades! They have that knight feel to them. A matter of fact, Galade is named after a famous sword, Gladius!

Zachmac

Among potential Special options for countering Gallade, Acid Spray is one of the ones to worry about. Your Sp.Def getting halved in one hit ruins any Focus Sash potential (unlikely) and decreases Gallade's ability to Special Wall. Few Pokemon have the Sp.Atk to use Acid Spray properly, but Tentacruel, Accelgor, and Octillery have the best potential. However, all 3 have issues against Gallade's offense:
-Accel' fears getting hit in-general* and can only neutral-hit Gallade
-Octillery needs Trick Room to outrun Gallade, is easily handled by either Thunderpunch or Leaf Blade, and is only-slightly-less of a glass cannon than Rampardos
-'cruel has low Defense, slightly-above-average Sp.Atk, and is handled by either Thunderpunch or Bulldoze/EQ
-All 3 may only get a single shot in if they have to switch into Gallade
Or rather then worrying about it's strong point, you can simply take hit it's weak point, it's defense. You'll have to watch out for will-o-wisp though.

Physically defense tentacruel will be something to worry about, since Earthquake is usually a was on fighting types. It hits mostly rock and steel, which fighting already does.

Edit: Gallade might carry Psycho cut, though, so physically defensive tentacruel only counters some sets. Sending in a strong physical attacker like Salamence or Gyarados is probably a better idea.
Any Pokemon capable of Sub-piercing (Technician Cinccino, Icicle Spear-Cloyster, Dual Chop-Dragons, Bonemerang/Bone Rush-Marowak, and a few others) will have a good chance to ruin a Sub-Punch since Multi-hit Moves (like those mentioned) are Physical.
Fortunately, Cinccino and Marowak aren't too common. Non of them are safe swap ins, though. Usually when someone sees a fighting type, they won't use Cloyster. The only pokemon with dual chop are Garchomp and Haxorus, and one of them is Uber.

They all handle fighting sub punch, though, but they will need to realize it's subpunch first.

Last edited:
I'm thinking having psycho cut isn't such a good idea. Tyranitar (and any other dark type) is immune (and is safe if you're choiced) and is resisted by all the steels, especially metagross and jirachi, with the occassional bronzong. If you're running a stat boosting move, have shadow sneak over it, because it at least gives you priority. Psychic is not the best STAB in the world, as its really only useful for fighting types, who can easily switch out into a steel.

Status
Not open for further replies.