• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #47

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zachmac

I'm thinking having psycho cut isn't such a good idea. Tyranitar (and any other dark type) is immune (and is safe if you're choiced) and is resisted by all the steels, especially metagross and jirachi, with the occassional bronzong. If you're running a stat boosting move, have shadow sneak over it, because it at least gives you priority. Psychic is not the best STAB in the world, as its really only useful for fighting types, who can easily switch out into a steel.
But it's fighting attacks can handle T-tar and steel types.

Skarmory, Bronzong and friends would wall it anyway. Though it can hit the most popular of them(ferrothorn) super-effectively with fighting STAB.

The Psychic/Fighting combo is on only resisted by enemy psychics(and shedinja, but that doesn't count).

Last edited:

SoulMuse

Shadow of nothing
I agree with Zachmac on this one. If you don't want an immune Tyranitar, then just don't choice it. The choice items are not the only way to power up an attack, and they wouldn't work well with Gallade anyway.

Serpentine

Pokemon Breeder
I think that t-wave paralyzing ground types was a rumor running around in early gen 5, and some people haven't realized that this hasn't changed.

Oh relly? Yeh, I was following the launch... ^^; Oops. Fixing~

Last edited:

Usatoday

Eternal God
This is the way to run a bulky set up gallade
475.gif
@ Leftovers
Careful
Steadfast
252 hp 60 atk 196 sp def
Wish
Drain Punch
WoW/Psycho Cut
Bulk Up

Zachmac

This is the way to run a bulky set up gallade
475.gif
@ Leftovers
Careful
Steadfast
252 hp 60 atk 196 sp def
Wish
Drain Punch
WoW/Psycho Cut
Bulk Up
How does it get wish, anyway? I can't find it on it's pokedex page, so I figured it's an event....not easy to get on wi-fi.

Ice Punch and Night Slash work for moveslot three, also, both provide good coverage.

Usatoday

Eternal God
Thats a good idea FYI there were a series a wish event pokes in gen III and ralts was one of them

Kraleck

Or rather then worrying about it's strong point, you can simply take hit it's weak point, it's defense. You'll have to watch out for will-o-wisp though.

Physically defense tentacruel will be something to worry about, since Earthquake is usually a was on fighting types. It hits mostly rock and steel, which fighting already does.

Edit: Gallade might carry Psycho cut, though, so physically defensive tentacruel only counters some sets. Sending in a strong physical attacker like Salamence or Gyarados is probably a better idea. Fortunately, Cinccino and Marowak aren't too common. Non of them are safe swap ins, though. Usually when someone sees a fighting type, they won't use Cloyster. The only pokemon with dual chop are Garchomp and Haxorus, and one of them is Uber.

They all handle fighting sub punch, though, but they will need to realize it's subpunch first.

All very true and really good points. That's part of why I love Sub-Punch Gallade (it's like the Spanish Inquisition from Monty Python) and why it's almost entirely futile to aim for the Sp.Def. Like you said, none are safe-ins and you won't see much of 'chomp nor Hax' unless you actually set foot on their lawn.

However, Burns, as you've pointed out, are slightly more of a threat to Gallade's offense. Special Moves on Gallade are too useless because of Gardevoir, so only a true fool would shy away from Status and Physical on Gallade to use 'voir's...Special-ty...with it (I know, bad pun, but I think I deserved that one).

Notable counters are likely going to have a difficult time getting in because Gallade can cover so many Type-bases. Only Sableye, Spiritomb, and Elektross are going to have near-universal neutrality to Moves (barring Scrappy+Fighting for the Ghosts and Mold Breaker+Ground for 'tross), so they can come into Gallade's STABs and EQ/Bulldoze, respectively, but only on a well-predicted switch (going to get slammed by any other Move, though).

Flying Types have somewhat of a hassle, despite the Type advantage. Staraptor, Salamence, Gyarados, and Skarmory are the best candidates to screw with your offense with Intimidate (for the first three) and colossal Defense (for Skarmory). However, you still have to worry about elemental punches with them.

Most of the Ghost Types that could hassle Gallade also get hassled by Gallade because they fall under one or more of the following:
-Reliant upon Sp.Atk
-Low Defense
-Low HP
-Low Speed
...that said, Eviolite-clops, Dusknoir, and Cof' are the major threats. Cof' is probably the worst by a small margin because of its insane Defense and the contact-Ability, but Eviolite-clops and Dusknoir also have colossal Defense plus Pressure, Shadow Sneak to compensate for low Speed, and Pain Split to compensate for low HP and low Speed. Gallade's Shadow Sneak and Night Slash will have issues with all 3, despite the Type advantage, plus you can't use your superior Fighting STABs over Psycho Cut for DPS.

sbktdreed

Veteran Trainer
Personal Moveset
Ability: Justified
Item: Scope Lens/Mental Herb
Psycho Cut
Brick Break
Thunderbolt
Night Slash

Muscle/Choice Band (Physical-only)
Abilty: Justified
Adamant nature with 255 Defense/100-150 Attack/105-155 Speed
Psycho Cut
Brick Break
Stone Edge/Rock Slide/Aerial Ace
Night Slash

Choice Specs/Wise Glasses (Special-only)
Abilty: Steadfast
Modest Nature with 200-225 Sp Attack/200-25 Defense/ 60-110 Speed
Psychic/Psyshock
Focus Blast
Thunderbolt/Charge Beam
Shadow Ball

Partners:
Apparantly using Weavile or Houndoom to use Beat-up on Gallade can take advantage with Justified.
Other than that personally, having a rock, electric, ice, dark, or steel-type can do nicely.

Countering:
Shadow Claw, Shadow Punch, Brave Bird, Drill Peck, Bounce, Fly, and uneuipped Acrobatics are the most useful againse Gallade; espically if it's a Flying and/or Ghost-type.
Equip with Power Herb, Sky Attack can be useful.
Trick Room Dusknoir, Will-o-wisp Cofagrigus, Acrobatic Gliscor, and Fan Rotom are the most recommended highly-defensive pokemon I recommend.

kal2400

The evolutionofchaos
Gallade an excellent set
Nature:Adamant/Jolly
Ability: Steadfast/Justified
Held item:Chocie Band
Evs: 4hp/252Atk/252spe
moveset
Close Combat
Ice Punch
Shadow Sneak
Psycho cut/ Night Slash

Gallade
Nature:Adamant/Jolly
Ability:steadfast/Justified
@Leftovers/life orb/ lum berry
Evs:124Hp/252Atk/132 spe
Moveset
Close Combat
Ice Punch
Shadow Sneak
Swords Dance

MajinYoshi

Dragon Master
Critical hits are your bff, NOT Paris Hilton!
Psycho Cut
Night Slash
Stone Edge
Leaf Blade/ Close Combat
Item: Scope Lens
Ability: Steadfast/Justified
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Nature: Adamant (+Atk/-Sp.Atk.)
This set uses four nice moves with a high chance of scoring a Critical hit (with Sniper or Super Luck, Gallade could increase damage done from Criticals or increasing the odds of scoring Criticals)
Psycho Cut is your STAB move, while Night Slash and Stone Edge covers Ghost and Flying opposition respectively. For your last slot you can choose between Close Combat (for another STAB) or Leaf Blade (for Critical hits)
Scope Lens increases the odds off getting Critical hits.
Relying on Crits is EXTREMELY risky and Night Slash is weak.

kal2400

The evolutionofchaos
A counter to her counter sets A special attacker appears.

Gallade
Nature:Timid
Evs:4hp/252SpA/252spe
item: Leftovers
Moveset
Focus Blast
Psyshock
HP Ice
Calm mind

Tested it out usually took out 1-2 pokemon in 20/25 matches on PO.

Kraleck

A counter to her counter sets A special attacker appears.

Gallade
Nature:Timid
Evs:4hp/252SpA/252spe
item: Leftovers
Moveset
Focus Blast
Psyshock
HP Ice
Calm mind

Tested it out usually took out 1-2 pokemon in 20/25 matches on PO.

The obvious is not so obvious. Seeing Gallade as a pure Physical Attacker leaves your opponent struggling to salvage their strategy when a wannabe-Gardevoir appears. However, your damage suffers with Gallade's subpar Base 65 Sp.Atk, even after CM boosts.

That said, Special Gallade, while unusual and underwhelming, can benefit from Hypnosis+Dream Eater because few expect it. Charge Beam could be a better alternative to CM on that set. Wise Glasses, too.

Zachmac

I'd suggest that special gallade is something to go under other options, if anything. It's not good enough to be one of the main sets.

I'll bet it's better then specavalier, though.

Ilan

The obvious is not so obvious. Seeing Gallade as a pure Physical Attacker leaves your opponent struggling to salvage their strategy when a wannabe-Gardevoir appears. However, your damage suffers with Gallade's subpar Base 65 Sp.Atk, even after CM boosts.

That said, Special Gallade, while unusual and underwhelming, can benefit from Hypnosis+Dream Eater because few expect it. Charge Beam could be a better alternative to CM on that set. Wise Glasses, too.

Dream eater is useless... sleep clause...

Like I stated before: SPECIAL GALLADE=GARDEVOIR!!!!!!!!!! so no point trying

Status
Not open for further replies.