• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #49

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meowmeow

selfproclaimed guru
I have to say, the name Zebstrika is awesome. You can use it in a million accents and it will be fun to say.
Competitively, Zebstrika fall short. However, Sap Sipper makes Zebstrika a great switch-in for Ferrothorn and other grass types. Motor Drive makes this guy faster. Lightningrod makes it immune to Thunder Wave, as does Motor Drive. The abilities Zebstrika has are awesome.

Physical Attacker
EVs: 252 attack and speed, 4 hp
Nature: Adamant or Jolly or Naughty
Ability: Any, but not Motor Drive if you choose to run Flame Charge.
@: Life Orb

Wild Charge
Flame Charge/Overheat
Pursuit
Double Kick

Yup.

Special Attacker

EVs: 252 special attack and speed, 4 hp
Nature: Modest or Timid
Ability: Motor Drive or Sap Sipper
@: Life Orb

Thunderbolt
Overheat
Volt Switch
HP Grass/Water/Ice

Overheat and Volt Switch go together like peanut butter and jelly. Hidden Power moves target ground types and Rotom-H/C. Grass hits Swampert, Quagsire, and Gastrodon, Water hits Rotom-H, Camerupt, Nidoking, and Nidoqueen, and Ice hits Flygon, Gliscor, and Rotom-C.

Checks and Counters

The basic "bring a ground type" doesn't work too well. Steelix, typically a great choice, has to be weary of Overheat. Ferroseed/thorn will have a tough time with Sap Sipper variants. I'd say the best option is Dugtrio. It's faster and packs STAB earthquake and has Arena Trap. Nidoking and Queen handle the physical set well, but Overheat will hurt.

Other options

Don't bother

That's the long version. The short version is, unless you really find Zebstrika's name sexy like I do, use Manectric or Luxray instead. They are better.

GirlKirbyZombie

Pokemon Rancher
I was thinking about this pokemon not to long ago. What a coincidence!

Anyways, a lighning rod Zebstrika would be the too perfect partner for Gyrados because it takes away the main killer of Gyrados, electric moves. Maybe that combined with charge beam can help Zebbie recover from overheat drops.

SwordsDanceStruggle

I need to...DANCE
Zebstrika @Leftovers/Life Orb
Ability: Motor Drive/Lightningrod
EVs: 4 HP, 252 SpA, 252 Speed
Nature: Jolly
Substitute
Thunder Wave
Charge Beam
Thunderbolt

Subsbeaming. Come in on an attack you're immune to (Sap Sipper can be used as well) and Thunder Wave or Subs on the switch. Then use the other one. Then commence Charge Beaming or attacking. NOTE: ground types will rape this set. But they generally rape Zebstrika anyway.

Last edited:

toonnee

double trouble zebstrika

so you have to of the same zebstrika:

zebstrika@cell battery
ability: motor drive/ lightning rod
nature: timid
evs: 252 spd, 252 sp atk, 4 hp
moves: discharge ( the main part of the strategy)
hp ice/grass/water
substitute
volt switch

strategy, you both use discharge on the first turn activating both cell battery and lightning rod/ motor drive. then start sweeping. if you run into trouble voltswitch out into another pokemon. hp ice/ grass/ water for coverage. substitute is there if you predict a switch so your even harder to take down.

paracelsus

Sweeper phys.

Finally one I have on my team.

EVs: speed 252, attack 252, def 4. pretty standard sweeper stuff

held item: choice band works in double battles, but Ive found an electric gem combos very well with wild charge

move set:
Wild charge
Flame charge
Double edge (egg move, can replace with giga impact)
Thrash

this set works very well in double battles, but its weak type coverage and somewhat lackluster defences make it hard to use in a single battle environment

cookies kill you

Like a boss
choice strika
Choice Band/Choice Scarf
Adamanet/Jolly
Motor Driver/Sap Sipper
Evs 252Atk 252 Spe 4hp
Flame Charge
Wild Charge
Pursuit
Return/Take Down/Double Edge

this pokemon sucks haha

Kraleck

"Pere-strika"
Any Ability
Sp.Atk boosting Nature (except Quiet or Modest), max Speed EVs, split Attack and Sp.Atk EVs
-Facade
-Spark/Wild Charge
-Me First/Toxic
-Overheat
> Expert Belt/White Herb/Focus Sash

Perestroika is Russian for "restructuring" and is also a part of their history. This set "restructures" Zeb's ability to sweep into an ability to attack and annoy. Facade works quite well if you slam headfirst into Synchronize, Flame Body, or some other Status-Effect-related Ability that'll work against you. Spark/Wild Charge is purely preference-based. Overheat is for Ferrothorn. Me First is to allow you to table-turn certain EQ and Earth Power users. Toxic is there to wear down Ground Types for your replacement to handle.

"If you hear hoofbeats..."
Sap Sipper/Motor Drive
Adamant/Jolly, Physical Sweeper EV array
-Spark
-Flame Charge
-Double Kick
-Stomp
> King's Rock/Razor Fang/Choice Band/Choice Scarf/Muscle Band/Life Orb

This set combines Speed buffs, Choice Item potential, Para-Flinch hax, and anti-Substitute tactics. You'll be solidly walled by Jellicent if your Spark is somehow disabled, however, so be careful.

Soperman

The One and Only
I have this conspiracy theory that Game Freak is basically reusing old pokemon. This is a prime example. Aesthetically, Zebstrika and Rapidash look very similar. Stat wise, it's even more similar. With movesets, however, Rapidash is superior. But whatever. Zebstrika has nice stats and a pitiful move-pool. It's abilities basically make it faster or stronger if you switch into an electric attack.

Lightningrod:Raises Sp. Atk when hit by an Electric type move.
Motor Drive: Raises Speed when hit by an Electric type move.
Sap Sipper (DW): Raises Attack when hit by a grass type move.

The Only Usable Set
- Wild Charge
- Return
- Thrash
- Flame Charge
Item: Choice Band/Life Orb
Ability: Motor Drive
EVs and Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -Sp. Atk)
252 Atk/252 Spd
Unfortunately, this is basically Zebstrika's only usable moveset. Wild Charge is STAB, Return is filler, Thrash is just a strong Attack, and Flame Charge boosts speed, and is also kind of filler.

Other Options
I guess you could run a Lightningrod set in a Double or Triple battle and teach it Thunderbolt.
Pursuit also works

Double and Triple Options
Lightningrod can only successfully work with another pokemon using Discharge on your team, but overall this guy is for singles or not at all

Partners
Take out Ground types with other Water types.

Countering Zebstrika
Earthquake is one of the most common attacks in the game. That destroys Zebstrika. Besides that, Golem and Rhyperior wall this guy to death, and easily destroy him

Zachmac

Okay, I just read a couple of the last post. I'd like to make a couple comments, but I'm too lazy to quote.

First, Cell battery does not work if it has the ability Lightning Rod or Motor Drive, only if the ability is Sap Sipper.

Secondly, Thrash is a bad idea. It has double edge, which has just as much power, but allows it to go back and forth between attacks and swap out. It won't care about the recoil with it's terrible defenses anyway. Even on a choice set, it'll stop you from swapping out.

cooljolteon

user of anything
Zebstrika in-depth

Hey, cooljolteon here.

I've been visiting the forums more often again, and I'd like to have a part in the POTW.

(I spent nigh on an hour putting these together...)

Physical Sweeper
Zebstrika @ Life Orb/Choice Band
Adamant [+Atk/-SpAtk]
EVs: 252Atk / 252Spd / 4HP
Sap Sipper/Motor Drive
-Wild Charge/Spark
-Flame Charge
-Pursuit/Return
-Rock Smash/Double Kick/Screech

1. Wild Charge for power, Spark for lack of recoil
2. Pursuit or Return, depending on preference
3. Double Kick for hitting Subbers; Rock Smash for damage and lowering Def., or Screech for only lowering Def., but more severely

Special Sweeper
Zebstrika @ White Herb/Choice Specs
Modest [+SpAtk/-Atk]
EVs: 252SpAtk / 252Spd / 4HP
Lightningrod
-Thunderbolt/Discharge
-Overheat
-Charge/Hidden Power (Grass/Water/Ice)
-Charge/Charge Beam

1. Thunderbolt for power, Discharge for Paralyzing
2. Charge for raising Tb/Dc/CB; HP GWI for countering Ground-Types; Charge Beam as the only means with which to raise SpAtk

Mixed Sweeper
Zebstrika @ Life Orb/White Herb
Rash [+SpAtk/-SpDef] (I think...)
EVs: 252Atk / 252SpAtk / 4Spd
Motor Drive
-Charge
-Wild Charge
-Overheat
-Return/Double Kick/Rock Smash

1. Return for power; DK for Subbers; RS for lowering Def

Support
Zebstrika @ Leftovers
Bold [+Def/-Atk] or Impish [+Def/-SpAtk]
EVs: 252Def / 252SpDef / 4HP
Motor Drive
-Thunder Wave/Toxic/Light Screen/Swagger/Rest/Protect/Substitute
-Thunderbolt/Discharge/Volt Switch/Wild Charge

1. TW/Tx/etc.... depends on preferences
2. Thunder Wave + Swagger = ParaFusion
3. Tb/Dc depends on preferences of power over Paralyze
4. Do not use TW + Discharge
5. Volt Switch if you want to be a scout
6. Wild Charge if you would rather get physical
7. Nature depends on Attack choice

Other options:
Rain Dance + Wet Rock
Thunder

Holy crap, that took forever!

Aurath8

Zebstrika is just one of those overwhelmingly underwhelming pokemon. Defences lower than Infernape. Decent attack scarred by a barren movepool. It's speed is very good. It's faster than Starmie but it can't really do anything about it.
Abilities
Lightningrod: Gives you +1 Spatk whenever you get hit by an Electric move. Cool, since every usable set is mixed(go on, find four good physical moves, i dare you) this is good.
Motor Drive: Same as Lightningrod but it gives you +1 Speed instead. It's not as useful as Zebby has more than enough speed.
Sap Sipper: Same as before but you get +1 ttack if you get hit by a Grass move. It's unreleased now but it's prett useful for it's dominant attacking stat is raised.

Mixed
Zebstrika@Life Orb
Lighningrod/Sap Sipper
Naive
252 Speed/200 Atk/ 56 Spatk
-Wild Charge/Thunderbolt
-Double Edge
-Overheat
-Hidden Power[Ice/Grass]

Wild Charge is your main STAB. You won't survive long so recoil doesn't matter. If you want you can choose T-bolt so you won't die after three rounds of attacking. Max Speed means we outspeed Starmie, lati@s base 108s etc. and we tie with other Zebbstrika and Serperior(if you ever play Drem World). Switch around the offensive EVs if your using T-bolt.
Double Edge is a strong move with good coverage. Overheat hits Grass types like Ferrothorn hard. Hidden Power Ice makes BoltBeam but Hidden Power[Grass] hits Water Grounds and T-tar harder. Take your pick.

Other options
Sreech lowers Defence and forces switches.
It could use Thunder Wave and Light Screen among other moves for an utterly awful support set.
You could use Rain Dance + Thunder to mess with weather.
Volt Switch could be used on a Choice set.
Pursuit could be used for frail Ghosts and Psychics.

Counters
Ground types can come in on it's electric moves for free and threaten with STAB Earthquake. Chansey has enough physical bulk to wall it. Overheat will hurt a bit, but Hippowdon works great. Scarf Flygon outspeeds and kills.
Dugtrio gets a special mention thanks to trapping, outspeeding and KOing with EQ. If your brave you can switch-in to it's electric attacks as well.
Strong pririty such as Conkledurr's Mach Punch is certain to 2KO. Even CBScizor's Bullet Punch will do about 45%. Zebstrika isn't all that threatening. It's frail, it's weak it has godawful coverage. Call me next Sunday for a better POTW.

xsedr

The Moral Aethiest
Lets not kid ourselves, the zebra just isn't that good

Mixed Zebra
Zebstrika @Life Orb
Motor Drive
Naughty/Lonely
252 Attack, 252 Speed, 6 Sp. Att
- Wild Charge
- Overheat
- Pursuit
- Volt Switch/Hidden Power (Grass/Water)

Bring it in on an electric attack, go to town. It's not going to take any hits well at all so nature doesn't really matter. Volt Switch is for escaping which the zebra is going to need to do a few times if it wants to survive very long, but if you have no other way of dealing with ground types (in which case I'm sorry for you) go with either Hidden Power Grass or Water

Last edited:

Pika ruler

Pikachu User
Mixstrika

Nature: Naughty, Lonely
Ability: Sap Sipper, Lightningrod
EV's: 100 HP/252 Atk/100 Sp. Atk/56 Spd
Item: Persim Berry

Moves:
Flame Charge
Thrash
Thunder/Thunderbolt
Pursuit

Boost and sweep. Flame Charge to boost your speed. Thrash for power and confused status, which is healed by the Persim Berry. Thunder for power, Thunderbolt for accuracy. Pursuit for those who tries to switch.

Double and Triple Battle options:
Never use Zebstrika in doubles if it has Thrash. Zebstrika isn't too good in doubles and triples.

Partners:
Drizzle Politoad is needed if you have Thunder (100% accuracy Thunder? Yes please!).

Zachmac

^Don't use thrash, I've already said why. Double Edge is much better.

Not meant for doubles(Or triples, or rotation, or singles), but it can run the Discharge+Lightingrod/MoterDrive/VoltAbsorb combo, as either the receiver or the user.

It's always best to run a +speed nature. I know 116 is a lot, but it'll still be out sped a lot without one. A pokemon would need about base 130 base speed to outrun Jolly base 108 pokemon with a neutral speed nature, though it couldn't outrun base 110, IIRC.

Last edited:

Skyart

My favourite 5th gen Pokemon by far. It's battle-usability may not be overwhelming but what does that matter when it has a great name, an awesome cry and it's an electric zebra. It's practically inspired.

Here's the one I have:

Awesome Electric Zebra
Item: Life Orb/Focus Sash
Naive Nature; 252 Atk, 6 SpAtk, 252 Spd
Ability: Lightningrod
Wild Charge
Me First
Volt Switch/Double Kick
Thunder Wave

Item choice depends on whether I feel like destroying things or guaranteeing a Thunder Wave.

Naive gives a Speed boost without sacrificing either attack stat (for Me First's benefit). It's not like the lost defences matter.

Any of its abilities are usable. Do note that in doubles/triples, Lightningrod will absorb your allies' Thunderbolts etc..

Wild Charge is basic STAB. It's sort of Zebstrika's signature move as well.

Me First is a great move. I must be missing something as I can't fathom why only one person has mentioned it for Zebstrika so far. You can come in after something falls to Outrage and throw it right back at them at 1.5x power (if they're slower, e.g. Choice Band Haxorus/Salamence). You can try chucking EQ back at grounded Steels or Rocks. Zebstrika is easily fast enough to use it reliably, and its offensive stats aren't too bad.

Volt Switch is just fun and lets you get out so long as the opponent isn't immune to it.

Thunder Wave is what it is. Just in case something tries to DD against you or something. With 3 electric moves ground types and certain abilities wall you, but why would you stay out against them anyway? (Dugtrio = instant doom regardless of what you have)

Double Kick is decent for coverage but its damage is dire, so I stopped using it.

Overheat is also a pretty good move on it. I'm not sure why I haven't tried it yet actually...

Problems with Zebstrika: suffers Electric-type movepool complex. Jolteon and Electrode outpace it; Luxray and Electivire have more moves and better Atk. There are better sweepers and annoyers available from other types.

Rayofquazar

Zebstrika@Life orb / Choise band / Choice scarf
Ability: Motor drive / Sap Sipper
Nature: Adamant / Jolly
Evs: 252 ATT / 252 SPD / 4 HP
Moves:
-Spark / Wild charge
-Quick attack / Pursuit
-Flame charge
-Tail whip / Screech / Return / Thrash / Double edge
ok. Bad physical movepool but it's enough! Spark can paralyze and recoil free while wild charge is stronger with recoil but who cares about recoil on zebstrika? Quick attack is always usefull while pursuit can punish switchers. Flame charge boosts speed wich is neat. For the last slot you have multiple options: Double edge is if you have raised your zebstrika from an egg if not or you don't want the recoil go with return. You can Thrash on your opponent if you don't mind the 2 to 3 turns doing the same thing and then being confused. You can go with a more gimmicky set with Tail whip or screech to lower you opponent defense to force it to switch and then pursuit them. Also handy if your opponent decides not to switch you will do more damage.

Zebstrika@choice specs / Life orb
Nature: Modest / Mild / Rash
Evs: 252 Sp ATT / 252 SPD / 4 HP or ATT
Moves:
-Thunder / Thunderbolt / Discharge / Charge beam
-Volt switch
-Overheat / Flame charge
-Hidden power ice / Return / Endure
The nature here really determine wich variant to use. Modest will cut your attack but retains your defenses so you can go with special sweeper set. while the other two will cut one of the defensive side so it's better to go with a mixed set.
Thunder if you have rain support, thunderbolt if you don't. Discharge if you don't have rain and you want more paralysis. Charge beam raises your special attack further more. Volt switch helps you to scout and does damage. Overheat if you are going special or flame charge if you are going mixed. Hidden power ice rounds up the coverage but return if you don't have ice as a hidden power. You can also endure a hit that would kill you to use volt switch or any other move that would KO the opponent.

Zachmac

I'd like to note that screech is completely a gimmick. Sure, it makes enemies easier to take down, but sacrificing a turn is like sacrificing Zebstrika itself with those defenses. It also has a 15% chance to miss, and can be cured just by swapping out.

Charge is also a gimmick. It's better just to attack, and it won't care for the sp.defense boost much, it's frail anyway.

chuckeroo777

#1 Bug Type Fan
One of its biggest problems is what I like to call Klink-typed. Just as Klink is a pure steel with a steel/electric movepool, zebstrika is a pure electric with a fire/electric move pool. It would be far more viable if it were double typed, but That isn't going to happen.
It is vastly outclassed, Physical electric? Electravire

Zachmac

One of its biggest problems is what I like to call Klink-typed. Just as Klink is a pure steel with a steel/electric movepool, zebstrika is a pure electric with a fire/electric move pool. It would be far more viable if it were double typed, but That isn't going to happen.
It is vastly outclassed, Physical electric? Electravire
It's only fire moves are flame charge and overheat.....

Also, I saw a set earlier where Rock Smash was an option. If you want a fighting move that badly, Double Kick is always better, getting 60 power when the kicks are combined, while rock smash just has 40. I wouldn't suggest either, though.
move set:
Wild charge
Flame charge
Double edge (egg move, can replace with giga impact)
Thrash

this set works very well in double battles, but its weak type coverage and somewhat lackluster defences make it hard to use in a single battle environment
Sorry to break it to you, but this set is terrible. Double Edge and Thrash on the same set? In doubles, you can't choose what enemy you hit using thrash, so Double Edge is superior in all cases. Giga Impact sucks. It leaves you vulnerable to anything, and also keeps you from swapping out. Hitting with it once then not hitting at all means 150 power. Hitting with double edge on the first turn then again on the second would be 240 power.

It's also weak to earthquake, while not resisting either surf or the rare heat wave.

Last edited:

jon199

Zebstrika is a cool Pokemon, not totally useless. It has a decent movepool, decent Attack and Speed, and a somewhat work-able Sp. Attack. The only thing is that it can't take a hit from anything. It has extremely low Defence, Sp. Defense, and Hp. If you do choose to use Zebstrika, hopefully you kill your opponent before they land a single hit on you.

Abilities

Lightningrod:Usefull to switch into an electric attack. You get a free Sp. Attack boost, although, Zebstrika's Sp. Attack really isn't anything special unless you have it spec'd.
Motor Drive:Really, not the best ability. It might be good to get no damage from an electric attack, but it Zebstrika doesn't need the extra speed boost.
Sap Sipper:Does exactly the same thing as Lightningrod in singles, but raises Attack instead. This is probably the best ability for Zebstrika, due to the fact that he has no other Attack raising moves, and that he'd probably die trying to use one anyways.

Movesets

Physical Zebra
- Wild Charge/Volt Switch
- Thrash
- Flame Charge
- Pursuit/Double Kick/Stomp
Item: Life Orb/Fire Gem/Electric Gem/Persim Berry
Ability: Sap Sipper/Motor Drive
EVs and Nature: 252 Atk/252 Speed/4 Hp
Adamant Nature (+ Atk, -Sp. Atk)

A basic attacking set. Until Sap Sipper is released, I would just go for Motor Drive instead. Wild Charge is one of your most powerful attacks, at the cost of some Hp. Volt Switch does a little less, but lets you switch out. Thrash is like a normal type Outrage. Powerful, but makes you confused after a couple turns. Flame Charge is there to take out any Steel types that could try to wall, plus adding a useless speed boost, due that it can outspeed most Pokemon who will oppose it. The last move slot is really a filler. Pursuit could be good for Psychic types, or anyone who tries to switch. Double Kick, even though weak, can also whittle away at Steel types if needed. Stomp is... well, just a filler.

The choice for an item depends on preference. Life Orb will give all of your moves a small boost, at a small cost of Hp. Fire Gem and Electric Gem will boost your Electric or Fire attack, depending on which you use. Lastly, the Persim Berry will get you out of confusion after Thrash, so you can go rampaging again.

Special Zebra
-Discharge/Thunderbolt/Thunder
-Overheat
-Hidden Power (Water)
-Shock Wave/Agility/Volt Switch
Item: Life Orb/White Herb
EVs and Natures: 252 Sp. Atk/252 Speed/4 Atk
Modest Nature (+ Sp. Atk, - Atk)/ Mild Nature (+ Sp. Atk, - Def)

Ok, if you REALLY want to use a Special Zebstrika, you don't have too bad of moves to work with. The Electric attack depends on what you want. Discharge a little less powerful, but is reliable and has a higher chance of Paralysis. Thunderbolt is reliable with a less chance of Paralysis, while Thunder is all power, but only 70% accurate. Overheat, takes out Steel types and anything else fire is good against, with a stat deduction. Hidden Power (Water) will take out Zebstrika's worst enemy: Ground types. In the last slot, Shock Wave never misses, point blank. Agility will let you outspeed anything that could be faster than you, not that there is a lot of Pokmon who do. Volt Switch will let you switch out after harmful stat deductions.

Life Orb will power up your moves for some Hp every turn, while the White Herb will take away any stat deductions from Overheat.

SUICIDESTRIKA
-Wild Charge
-Volt Switch
-Flame Charge
-Double Edge/Thrash
Item: Life Orb/Choice Band
Ability: Sap Sipper/Motor Drive
EVs and Natures: 252 Atk/252 Speed/4 Hp
Adamant Nature (+Atk, - Sp. Atk)

My favorite, suicuide time. Wild Charge is your main electric move, with little recoil. I hate suggesting two moves of the same type, but Zebstrika doesn't have that great of a physical movepool. Volt Switch is to get out of the battle, just in case you need to. If you have any better suggestions for a physical move, feel welcome to substitute. Flame Charge takes out Steels. It's your only move without any backfire... Double Edge is powerful, but it gives a lot of recoil damage. Thrash gives off the same amount of damage, but confuses you after a few turns. It's basically an alternative if you don't want any recoil damage...

Life Orb, as always, powers up all your moves. Choice Band keeps you restricted to one move, but multiplies your attack stat by 1.5.

Partners:
I wouldn't if I were you. Zebstrika has some of the lowest defenses, it would die quite quickly from Earthquake in Double and Triple battles. The only upside is that it gets Lightningrod, preventing any electric attack from hitting your team. If you were to use it, though, I'd pick a Water or Flyng type to go with it.

Countering:
*someone in the back screams "GROUND TYPE!"*

Any Ground type you choose will probably be able to take down Zebstrika, as long as it is the speedy Dugtrio or another Gound type that has good defenses. I would watch out for a HP Ice, but other than that... Really, as long as you have a defender that can stand at least one of Zebstrika's attacks, you should be able to take it down pretty easily.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.