• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #53

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetalCrow

I'd like to note that Twister, Hurricane, and Thunder all hit thru Fly and get a pretty little 2x bonus to damage...sure Twister isn't really viable, but the other two will surely decimate Mandibuzz

Manibuzz is one of my favorite 5th generation Pokemon!! Overcoat gives it protection and it has some decent moves. Brave Bird and Punishment get STAB. You could do Air Slash and Dark Pulse if you wanted to go special. Steel Wing gives coverage to its Rock and Ice weaknesses. You can do Taunt, Roost, or even Bone Rush for your Electric weakness. Bone Rush just won't do much.

Rayofquazar

Mandibuzz is a good defensive flying type pokemon that are rare... Aside from lugia I don't remember any other flying type beind defensive... (Maybe noctowl)! So that alone gives it some uniqueness.

The downside, being defensive really hinders it's movepool... Forced to use mainly defensive strategies because of it's lackluster attacks, it is reduced to some decent sets! You can say that makes it pretty predictable and easy to counter.

It's abilities are all also defensively inclined in some sort:
-Big pecks prevent reducing defenses (Can be good on mandibuzz but defense lowering attacks are rare and no abilities do this effect)
-Overcoat is the best... it puts mandi on any team!
-Weak armor sacrifices it's defenses for speed on each hit. (Although I think that's a bad idea... Maybe it's good on a disruptive set)

As I've read... it is a one trick phony with really limited options.
So here's my set:
Mandibuzz@leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
Nature: Impish / Careful
EVs: 252 DEF / 252 Sp DEF / 4 HP
Moveset:
-Toxic
-Whirlwind
-Roost
-U-turn
Easy set... Toxic everything other than steels and poisons, Whirlwind them and other counters away... Roost any injuries... U-turn in case you get taunted, do damage and switch out safely.

It has some other otions like Tailwind to use in doubles or triples and Mean look can trap some other pokemon that might switch out on your sight especially psychic and fighting types. Knock off can cripple a tank or a sweeper, Brave bird is a strong attack but that wouldn't matter cz you have very low ATT stat! Substitute also works well, Embargo is also a good choice that can cripple some pokemon, you can also taunt or Torment.

Really to me U-turn is the only decent attacking move you got and that is only when you got taunted!

ClefairyRox

Nintendo Fan
Mandibuzz is sort of a weird Pokemon. Her preevolution has the honor of being designed by an American. She is also exclusively female, and can only be found in Pokemon Black. Still, this bone-obsessed Pokemon has a special place in my heart, since her pre-evo was the first shiny 5th gen Pokemon I got (hatched via the Mesuda Method).

Mandibuzz presents herself as a defensive Pokemon right from the start. Great base 110 HP, good base 105 Defense and base 95 Sp. Defense, and access to Roost are all pluses for her in that department. Her typing also isn't too bad for defense, as she has two useful immunities (Psychic and Ground) and three resistances. A decent base 80 Speed rounds up the defensive package nicely, allowing her to Roost and Taunt before her opponent. On the downside, her Flying typing means she loses 1/4 of her HP to Stealth Rocks every time she switches in, so a Spinner is recommended if you use her.

Unfortunately, like many defensive Pokemon, there is so much devotion to her defenses that there is nearly nothing left for her offenses. With only base 65 Attack, even her Brave Birds won't be doing much to anything besides what they hit supereffectively. She's even worse on the special side, with only base 55 Sp. Attack, although she does get Nasty Plot. Still, there's no room for a move like that on a defensive set.

Mandibuzz's abilities aren't the best out there, but they could be worse. Overcoat is probably the best choice. It protects her from all weather damage, i.e. Sandstorm and Hail damage. This gives her a niche on teams that revolve around weather, allowing some type variation in the team. Big Pecks is relatively useless, but it does give Mandibuzz defensive insurance against Crunch and allows her to switch into Screech abusers. Weak Armor, her Hidden Ability, is probably the worst of the three. Every time Mandibuzz is hit with an attack, her Speed increases by one level, but her Defense decreases one level. Such an ability could be used if you decided to use an offensive Mandibuzz.

Your typical Mandibuzz set probably will look like this.

Brave Bird
Roost
Toxic
Taunt/Whirlwind/Knock Off

Brave Bird is Mandibuzz's strongest attack, but she still will be doing only nominal damage against those who resist it and enemies with good defense in general. That's why Toxic is there. Roost keeps you nice and healthy, and the fourth move is for support. As I stated before, Mandibuzz's decent speed means she can move before a number of other walls and Taunt them to keep them from doing any healing. On the other hand, Whirlwind allows Mandibuzz to phaze and become a great Toxi-shuffler. Knock Off removes the foe's item, which is always useful. It all depends on what you want Mandibuzz to do and how your team is built. As for EVs, you will want max HP for sure. You can focus on one defense, or make Mandibuzz a mixed wall. A little Speed investment can also be useful.

Countering Mandbuzz: Stealth Rocks really reduce the bone vulture's bulk, so try to have those up. If Mandibuzz lacks Taunt, poisoning her with Toxic is a great idea, as she will eventually fall to it. Taunting her is also a good idea, as it completely cripples her. Steel-types will send her running for the hills, as she can literally do nothing to them. Magneton and Magnezone are particularly effective, as they 4X resist her main attack and can hurt her a lot with Thunderbolt. The Magic Bounce ability also counters Mandibuzz completely.

I need to emphasize that it is quite difficult to OHKO this bird. If I recall correctly, mine actually survived a Swords Dance-boosted Outrage from a Garchomp with a little HP to spare. So do not underestimate her bulk at all.

Pre-evolution corner: Vullaby is one of the faster Little Cup Pokemon, with base 60 Speed. She also has great bulk, especially combined with Eviolite, and a decent defensive typing. By Little Cup standards, her offenses aren't too shabby, either. She has Nasty Plot to set up with, and there's also a cool mixed Scarf set on Smogon that I thought was interesting. I haven't seen a lot of her, possibly because she looks goofy, but she is a force to be reckoned with.

Last edited:

Ilan

Mandibuzz is a good defensive flying type pokemon that are rare... Aside from lugia I don't remember any other flying type beind defensive... (Maybe noctowl)! So that alone gives it some uniqueness.

You forgot one of the best walls there... skarmory!

movepool lacks: sesmic toss/night shade, thunderbolt, baton pass,will o wisp
and that's all.. if it get one of those it will be better it is still good but steels are just too dangerous to it... entry hazards + whirlwind can work but don't use it inOU you got skarmory...

Waterlover711

<=my doggy(prof.pic)
support buzz

(not likely this will get used or posted under the POTW when it comes out....so here is what i put....)

(preferably shiny)

Moves:
Torment
Tailwind
Attract
Toxic

Nature:
Calm

Ability:
Overcoat

EVs:
Hp-196
Defence-32
Sp. defence-244
Speed-36

Held item:
leftovers

Use attract to start off the set(unless its a girl or has no gender), then use toxic(if its not poison or steel), if it manages to get a move in before or after you get to the point in which you have used these moves then use torment, when its almost dead or you have used the moves above, use tailwind and switch out this pokemon to start to deal some damage to the target.

(is it just me or is manibuzz the honchcrow of the 5th gen.)

Sucker_Punch

Alright, Mandibuzz! I like the new Dark/ Flying vulture. I used one on one of my last black playthrough's, and she was pretty good. Could be better, but I still like her...

This is the Mandibuzz set I use in my Dark PO team. It's actually very successful and dangerous, when I use it correctly. She has great 110/105/95 defence's, though, like any wall, terrible 65/55 attack stats. Surprisingly, her speed is pretty good, though. Well, pretty average... still usable.

630.png

Mandibuzz @ Leftovers
Overcoat
Jolly/ Timid
252HP/36Def/216SpDef/4Spd
-Toxic
-Substitute
-Roost
-Brave Bird/ Dark Pulse/ Rock Smash/ Punishment

Simple Toxic staller, but she does it very well. She takes hit's like a house, so she can afford to move after her opponents. The EV's may seem odd, but they work! Brave Bird and Dark Pulse (depending on the nature) are her most powerful moves, but Rock Smash could be used, as Steel's can very easily shut this set down. Punishment can also be used against enemies such as Swords Dance/ Poison Heal Gliscor, as it will have to break your Substitute before damaging you, after which you can do... some damage. I don't know, it's an idea. In my opinion, Skarmory (as well as every other Steel type, but I've personally had alot of trouble against Skarmory so it gets singled out...) is the biggest threat to this set, and I strongly recommend you switch if facing the Steel bird.

Charizard Lizzy

BARRELS!!!
Mandibuzz is great defensively, with excellent base 105 Defense and nice 95 Special Defense backed up by a healthy 110 HP. Offensively, she is blessed with Nasty Plot to double her Special Attack, which would otherwise be pathetic. Unfortunately, Mandibuzz’s Special movepool is rather restricted. She has many more Physical options in comparison, but a so-so base 65 Attack makes a Nasty Plot set more appealing.

Despite how easy Steel-types completely shut down Mandibuzz’s offense, she can still provide decent support to your team.

Abilities:
Big Pecks – Mandibuzz cannot have her Defense lowered by the opponent. This is more or less the most useless ability for Mandibuzz, as in the metagame your opponent’s Pokémon are usually more concerned with raising their own stats.

Overcoat – Sandstorm and Hail don’t hurt Mandibuzz. It may not be the golden Magic Guard, but it’s still the most useful ability for her. Having Overcoat opens up more options, especially for your Sandstorm teams, as Mandibuzz’s Flying-type allows your Earthquake users to go wild in double battles.

Weak Armor – When hit by a physical attack, Mandibuzz’s Defense goes down one stage, but her Speed increases by one. Mandibuzz is very much a defensively-minded Pokémon. I don’t know why you would want to tamper with it, even for a more offensive version.

:630:
Good ‘ol Toxic Staller
Item: Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP/252 Sp.Def/4 Def –OR—252 HP/128 Def/128 Sp. Def
Nature: Impish (+ Def, - Sp. Atk)/Careful (+ Sp. Def, - Sp. Atk)

- Toxic
- Roost/Protect/Taunt
- Substitute/Roost/Taunt
- Payback

Toxic is the running gimmick of this set. Protect and Substitute will allow Mandibuzz to stall out the opponent. She can also shrug off any damage taken with Roost. Finally, so as to not become Taunt bait, Payback gets STAB and will double in power when Mandibuzz gets hit. Considering her lackluster base 80 Speed, there is a good chance she’ll get hurt before dealing damage. Taunt messes up other defensive/support-minded Pokémon.

Nasty Plot Sweeper
Item: Leftovers/Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Sp. Atk / 4 Def
Nature: Bold (+ Def, - Atk) / Calm (+ Sp. Def, - Atk) / Modest (+ Sp. Atk, - Atk)

- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse/Roost
- Air Slash/Roost
- Hidden Power Fire

Nasty Plot doubles Mandibuzz’s sad Special Attack into something quite respectable. Dark Pulse gets STAB and is Mandibuzz’s strongest Dark move available. Air Slash also gets STAB and may flinch the opponent (as well as Dark Pulse). Unfortunately, both offensive moves are resisted by Steel-types. Hidden Power Fire will take care of this problem (and still deal super-effective damage to Skarmory versus neutral with Hidden Power Fighting).

The Life Orb will give more punch to Mandibuzz’s attacks. The health sacrifice can easily be recovered with Roost.

Mandibuzz the Punisher
Item: Leftovers/Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Nature: Adamant (+ Atk, - Sp. Atk)

- Swagger
- Flatter
- Punishment
- Mean Look/Roost

The point of this set is to increase the power of Punishment, which deals more damage the more stat boosts the target has – one boost adds 20 base power to the attack. Both Swagger and Flatter confuse the opponent, but have slightly different outcomes: Swagger sharply raises the target’s Attack, while Flatter sharply raises their Special Attack. Either way, using one of the two just once increases Punishment's power by 40. You can mess with the opponent by raising one of their offensive stats that they don’t even use and keep your team safe from severe damage once the confusion wears off.

Mean Look will prevent the opponent from escaping while you use Swagger and Flatter. Roost heals as usual.

Other Options:
Mandibuzz learns Tailwind via level-up and can provide a nice Speed boost to her team.

Brave Bird is the strongest Flying move available, but keep in mind of the awful recoil that comes as a consequence of using.

Partners:
Steel- and Poison-types present the most problems to Mandibuzz. Without Hidden Power Fire or Fighting, Steels will be unaffected by Toxic and will resist all other forms of offensive power from her. Poison-types won’t cower in Toxic’s presence, either. You need to provide backup against these two types.

The Punishment Mandibuzz can provide a much needed Attack or Special Attack boost to Pokémon with the ability Own Tempo. Slowbro and Slowking are two good examples. Also note that if you’re one of the few “weird” people who use Safeguard, as long as it’s in effect, any Pokémon can receive a Swagger or Flatter boost without becoming confused.

- Air Slash – Lvl. 41, Vullaby
- Dark Pulse – Lvl. 46, Vullaby
- Flatter – Lvl. 19, Vullaby
- Hidden Power – TM10
- Mean Look - EGG
- Nasty Plot – Lvl. 14, Vullaby
- Payback – TM66
- Protect – TM17
- Punishment – Lvl. 28, Vullaby
- Roost – EGG
- Substitute – TM90
- Swagger – TM87
- Taunt – TM12
- Toxic – TM06

PhilosophicalPsychologica

Mandibuzz is...well I find her great, actually. She's Dark, but fairs well against Fighting. With bulk like that (and Roost to boot), she isn't taking much even against boosted hits. It is difficult to OHKO her even after a x2 damage multiplier.

Her Ability Overcoat allows her to deal against Sand and Hail, making it viable to not even include Leftovers. Big Pecks is...well, I don't highly recommend Crunching Mandibuzz, but if you intend on making the weather nice I suppose it's acceptable. Weak Armor is just...sad.

Mandibuzz shouldn't even think about playing offensively, not even with Nasty Plot. You don't see Skarmory using Swords Dance, do you? Just like Skarmory, Brave Bird is about as offensive as Mandibuzz will really get.

Huh, just noticed Mandibuzz does have a small inferiority complex compared to Skarmory. Mandibuzz has a much more bulky agenda, despite Skarmory's greater amount of resistances and less weaknesses. Skarm relies on its defensive typing to easily set up hazards and spam Whirlwind. Mandibuzz is a much more disruptive player, given choices like Knock Off and U-turn.

I personally run a Mandibuzz set on a defensive Sand team of mine with Rocky Helmet, Knock Off, Whirlwind, Roost, Taunt. I find her very effective as she helps set up the entire team for victory if conditions are right, given her impregnable bulk.

Shuckster

Shuckle All The Way!
Yay, one of my fave's from 5th gen, though it cant find a slot on my team ;^;

Lets start with its traits:

Traits
Mandibuzz has a excellent Defensive stats of base 110 HP, 105 Defense, and 95 Sp.Def, and for most walls, base 80 Speed is actually decent. base 65 attack and 55 Sp.Atk means its not going to make holes on most teams, but it does get Nasty Plot and STAB special attacks, but is usually not worth the slot, but the option exists. Mandibuzz has the moves to abuse these stats fairly well, with moves like Roost, Knock Off, Taunt, the now 4 turn Tailwind, and Whirlwind, and Toxic needs not to be mentioned, even the powerful Brave Bird helps too, though at the loss of HP for every use stinks.

Type-wise, Dark/Flying has its goods and bads, immunity to the common Ground and increasing treats of Psychic is useful, and resistance to Dark, Ghost and Grass is also useful, but weaknesses to common Rock, Electric, and Ice is bad, though in some cases, Roost handles this better.

Abilities

Big Pecks: Prevents loss of Defense, not too useful in the field except for Crunch's side effect.
Overcoat: No damage from weather, which on a defensive Pokemon is awesome! No need to worry about your HP chipped every time at the end of every turn, allows to set up in Sandstorm and sometimes Hail teams.
Weak Armor (DW): A boost to her Speed on every Physical hit sound good, but at the loss of its better Defense, not worth it, unless you wanna try it on a Nastly Plot set around this.

Sets

Stall @ Leftovers
Careful/Impish
252 HP, 129 Def, 129 Sp.Def or 252 HP, 252 Def, 4 Sp.Def/Spd
~Toxic
~Roost
~Whirlwind/Taunt
~Brave Bird/Payback/Taunt/Tailwind

More of a focus on Toxic stalling. Toxic Poisons, Roost Heals, Whirlwind hazes and allows of Toxic spread. Brave Bird is powerful and better coverage, but Payback ensures the troublesome Espeon and Xatu get a surprise on the switch in. Taunt can go over Whirlwind or the attack move, but without whirlwind, your pretty much setup bait, and no attack leaves you vulnerable to Taunt. The more Physically defense has its uses, as its Resistances can call for it, but Special attackers are going to prey on your weaker stat. better off going for what your team needs

Dirty-minded Vulture @ Leftovers
Modest
252 HP, 252 Sp.Atk, 4 Spd/Def/Sp.Def
~Nasty Plot
~Dark Pulse
~Air Slash
~Roost/Tailwind

Although outclassed, it comes as a suprise to those who expect something like Toxic, switch out, and getting 2 Nasty Plots with your free turn and using your bulk to your advantage. One NP leads from a measly max 229 Sp.Attack to a viable 458, and because of its bulk, can set up 2, leads to even threatening 687! Dark Pulse and Air Slash are its only viable Special moves, and both cause flinching, which can be useful. Roost increases your ability to live longer lasting, though doubling Speed with Tailwind works too, since it will double your Speed to 394, could be better, but is still a good jump. Hidden Power Fighting can be used over either STAB for better type coverage.

As stated previously, the main reason to use this over other is for the element of surprise, it usually gives Mandibuzz 2 turns to set up, usually on Espeon/Xatu, as they would be her biggest counters, but the table would turn under such conditions. Another reason is that its the most bulkiest user of Nasty Plot, along with Slowking (Who's overshadowed by Slowking) and Celebi (who has many, easily exploitable, weaknesses), though compared to these two, has much weaker Sp.Atk, and less viable movepool, plus is more easily walled by Chansey/Blissey.

Counters
Stall
Status, especially burn or poison, ruin it. Steels and Poison-types torture it as well, and a well-timed Espeon/Xatu ruin Mandibuzz as well. Main users of Magic Gaurd may either be in your way, or with Payback, somewhat dismissed. Its usually set-up bait for some, especially Ferrothorn, who can take its attacks, throw Leech Seed, and sit back, but wants to watch out for the faster Taunt. Without Brave Bird,Fighting types, like Conkeldurr, can present a problem. Stealth Rock are a problem, and should be removed. Note, also, that hazards help Mandibuzz out as well.

Nasty Plot
Burn and Poison hurts, and without HP Fighting, Steels do a good job at walling it, Poisons types themselves are less of a treat, and Special wall can put a stop to it... assuming you didnt let it get too many NP's up, as Madibuzz can set up easily under the right conditions. Powerhouses can actually dent it up badly before it can actually start sweeping, so be weary on who Mandibuzz is sent upon. More notes: Espeon and Xatu are NOT good counters on this set and are probably the best Pokemon for the vulture to set up upon.

Moonlight_Tails

Nocturnal Trainer
interesting choice, though not one I'd use.

Last edited:

Moonlight_Tails

Nocturnal Trainer
Pfft Black got the short end of the stick here. Braviary is so much cooler.

Agreed, have one on my white team
sheer force

Air Slash
Superpower
Fly
Crush Claw

not perfect but usually gets the job done

Kraleck

Mandi-sruptor
Ability: Overcoat (never anything else, please)
Item: Lum Berry/Leftovers/Muscle Band/Flying Gem/Dark Gem
Stats: Adamant/Jolly/Careful, Max defenses, rest Attack, Speed, or HP
Moves: Knock Off/Pluck/Thief, Fly/Bone Rush, Toxic, U-Turn

Your main goal is to disrupt enemy plans. Knock Off is weak, but works on all Items, though Pluck is stronger, gets 2x damage if the opponent has a Berry, but only removes Berries and Thief is a stronger Knock Off that requires you to not have an Item held. Fly for Tox-stall or Bone Rush for extra chipping factor and Substitutes (though you won't break very many of them). If you need to ask about Mandi's Toxic, you must be mentally ill. U-Turn to scout and escape.

Mandi-Choice
Ability: Do I need to repeat it?
Item: Choice Band/Scarf
Stats: Adamant, Max Attack, Split defenses (EVs won't help much at an average Base 80 Speed)
Moves: Knock Off/Punishment/Faint Attack/Payback, Pluck/Brave Bird/Fly, two of (U-Turn, Bone Rush, Steel Wing, Rock Tomb).

Yes, I suggested Rock Tomb. You may get lucky and face Flying Types trying to avoid Bone Rush, plus it's your only good attacking option VS Skarm'.

Mandi-blockade
Ability: Seriously...get off my back about it...
Item: Leftovers
Stats: Careful, Max HP, Split defenses
Moves: Fly, Substitute, Toxic, Roost

Sub up. Settle in. Fling Toxic like a monkey with so much poo. Stall away. Fly for Taunt-spammers and Tox-Stall.

Mandi's Options:
-Toxic - Not really an option...more of a must have...
-Dark Gem + Thief - Gimmicky, but a good way to neutralize certain threats.
-Fly - Great for Tox-stalling.
-Pluck - Great for, as a friend of mine would put it, "murdering Berry-reliant Pokemon in the face."
-Swagger + Punishment - Best used on Special Attackers, plus Baton Passers and BP-recipients need to beware of Punishment in-general.
-Bone Rush - Good for most Electric Types, but not all of them (Emolga, Rotom, and 'tross scoff at Ground Type Moves)
-Rock Tomb - Good for Flying Types, especially if you try anything risky against Skarm'.
-Whirlwind - Ineffective on Suction Cups and Magic Bounce Ability Pokemon, but can be used on Magic Bounce Pokemon as a means of escape if U-Turn isn't available. Great for spreading Toxic like so much manure...
-Substitute - Great defenses and Base 110 HP make this an incredible option.
-Roost - See Substitute.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Choice Vulture
Air Slash
Dark Pulse/U-turn
Hidden Power fighting
Shadow Ball
nature: Modest
EVs: 252 Sp.A 252 speed 4 HP
Item: choice specs

shadow ball and HP fighting have great coverage together. Air slash and Dark pulse get STAB but you could opt out one of these for u-turn for scouting.

ilex222

Choice Vulture
Air Slash
Dark Pulse/U-turn
Hidden Power fighting
Shadow Ball
nature: Modest
EVs: 252 Sp.A 252 speed 4 HP
Item: choice specs

shadow ball and HP fighting have great coverage together. Air slash and Dark pulse get STAB but you could opt out one of these for u-turn for scouting.

seriously,why you list shadow ball when it already have dark pulse as stab??Dark and ghost have very similiar coverage y'now

Ilan

seriously,why you list shadow ball when it already have dark pulse as stab??Dark and ghost have very similiar coverage y'now

he put a specs set of a base 55 special attack so.. it doesn't matter as this set i just awful from the begining

offensive mandibuzz is only nasty plot/roost/dark pulse/STAB or HP fighting

as it might get the chance to get the boost and only that other sets are defensive and if they want to avoid being ruined by taunt then brave bird
but this is a defensive pokemon.

thatjeremykid

.Memento.Mori.
Mandibuzz.. actually i was thinking about raising one for my sandstorm team, i think it'd make a good toxic stall.
ability: overcoat
item: leftovers
nature: probably impish or calm.
defensive ev spread
-toxic
-protect
-roost
-brave bird

kaiser soze

Reading ADWD
I don't think Nasty Plot's much better than a Specs set. You'd need way more than one Nasty Plot for OHKOs. +2 max SA Mandi can't OHKO Eviolite Magneton or Ferroseed with no SD investment.

Ilan

I don't think Nasty Plot's much better than a Specs set. You'd need way more than one Nasty Plot for OHKOs. +2 max SA Mandi can't OHKO Eviolite Magneton or Ferroseed with no SD investment.

well it need to get to +4 to do something.. not like it will survive long enough but it is the only way it can go for offence with +4 (like anything) it might be dangerous...

but stick with defensive anyway...

Status
Not open for further replies.