• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #53

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ilan

What's with all the NP sets? Remember, you're boosting base 55 base Sp. Atk. Even Spinda laughs at this. And you're still easily walled at +2. You need +4 to do something, and if you're getting that many NPs, then you're likely facing a bad player.

not really he get's to 458 special attack which is very high... (I think with modest and 252 EVs not sure it was mentioned in the thread) and it is a defensive pokemon so it might get to +4 maybe...

it got more coverage than swords dance skarmory.

Last edited:

Archstaraptor

Team Builder / RMT
What's with all the NP sets? Remember, you're boosting base 55 base Sp. Atk. Even Spinda laughs at this. And you're still easily walled at +2. You need +4 to do something, and if you're getting that many NPs, then you're likely facing a bad player.

Alone,I agree it's a bit vulnerable.(+4=2 nasty plots,which is manageable though)
However,
I think Mandibuzz makes for a great ally for a physical sweeper;even one nasty plot is useful,which doubles the original power(first time-power increases by 100% per 'plot).

Mandibuzz is really bulky for a bird,so it's capable of doing this-I've tried this online.
Airslash and Dark pulse are also both STAB moves(1.5x damage thank you very much).Now,add the chances of both these moves flinching if you hit first-
base 80 speed isn't that bad,but I use Tailwind for safekeeping-base speed is now 120-and you can really help your ally too.But roost is also a useful way of fending off foes with leftovers on top.

What I'm trying to say is,Mandibuzz isn't the most reliable pokemon and might not be the best choice for single battles(although it's still capable of holding its own).
With an ally though,Mandibuzz offers truly terrifying support-and if it manages to fit in 3 nasty plots,it maxes its sp.atk(invest EVs here).

I think that,paired with a team(especially a weather one)with a good strategy it could be really useful.

Although you have to admit,400% of its sp.atk is still quite threatening thing with a base of 55 ;)

That's pretty decent damage,and you've got two complementary attacks with a chance of flinching!
I personally don't think it's that bad!

Last edited:

kaiser soze

Reading ADWD
Some damage calcs on why Sweeper Mandibuzz is a waste:

Max SA Mandibuzz with HP Fighting at +2 cannot OHKO an Eviolite max SA Magneton with no additional defensive investment. Meanwhile this Magneton has a 62.5% chance of OHKOing you with Thunderbolt, 100% if you took SR damage.

Archstaraptor

Team Builder / RMT
Max SA Mandibuzz with HP Fighting at +2 cannot OHKO an Eviolite max SA Magneton with no additional defensive investment. Meanwhile this Magneton has a 62.5% chance of OHKOing you with Thunderbolt, 100% if you took SR damage.

Well,it can't win 'em all.Steels,will wall Mandibuzz fairly easily regardless,really.
It's a multimon battle contender-strong fire,fighting or ground counters would be ideal partners...

Last edited:

Ilan

Well,it can't win 'em all.Steels,will wall Mandibuzz fairly easily regardless,really.
It's a multimon battle contender-strong fire,fighting or ground counters would be ideal partners...

Dugtrio could be such a good partner to this situation... too bad it is OU now.

but magneton is REALLY bulky it doesn't count if you would say... it can't KO a spinda then.. it will be bad what about other stuff.. like psychic types uxie for example....

Pika ruler

Pikachu User
Mandibuzz, not my favorite, but not too bad eithier.

Mandibuzz@Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
Nature: Careful
EV's: 252 HP, 132 Def, 120 SDef
Moves:
Taunt
Toxic
U-Turn
Roost

Mandibuzz@Scope Lens
Nature: Modest
EV's: 252 SAtk, 28 Def, 28 SDef, 200 Spd
Moves:
Air Slash
Dark Pulse
Nasty Plot
Tailwind

Last edited:

ladykiwi

I love tights. <3
Just my 2 cents here. Do NOT add "sweeper" sets. Even when hold a life orb, +2 Mandibuzz doesn't hit hard. Sure, being able to roost and flawless coverage is sexy on paper, but it just doesn't work on practice.

Vandslaux

not really he get's to 458 special attack which is very high... (I think with modest and 252 EVs not sure it was mentioned in the thread) and it is a defensive pokemon so it might get to +4 maybe...

it got more coverage than swords dance skarmory.

GL surviving 3 attacks to get 2 NP's and attack with an SR weakness. And 80 Speed gets you past what in RU, Magneton, Gligar, Cofagrigus (two of which can poison you)..? And in OU, it gets you past Scizor, Heatran, Ferrothorn, and Breloom, only one of which it can beat. And even then, Breloom can completely **** over Mandibuzz with any of it's moves bar Seed Bomb. And he needs to run a Timid nature to even outrun half of these's most common sets, as Timid Heatran and Jolly Breloom outrun and seriously damage or cripple, meaning he loses out on even more power.

And kaizer soze, I'm guessing that calc is with HP Fighting?

Last edited:

Archstaraptor

Team Builder / RMT
Do you know how much damage HP fighting would do in a situation like that?
I'm interested.
Use it in proportion with Magneton's HP:above half? below half?Into red(unlikely)?
I'm just interested in seeing roughly how much damage this bird can do,because when I think about it,there's a fairly small number of birds that even stand a chance against steels;if it can deal decent damage,that's great-everything has weaknesses.

Vandslaux

Staraptor has Close Combat, Honchkrow has Heat Wave and Superpower, Gliscor has EQ, most Fire/Flyings make short work of Steels.

Pika ruler

Pikachu User
Another set.

Mandibuzz@(not sure)
Nature: Adament or Modest
EV's: 252 Atk, 200 Spd, 56 SDef OR 252 SAtk, 200 Spd, 56 SDef
Moves:
Swagger
Psych Up
Punishment
Brave Bird