• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #53

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Right guys, one year gone, time for the Pokémon that will go live on January 8th.

630.png

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/630.shtml

Mandibuzz is an interesting Pokémon. You don't see it much but it can do some decent things

Go nuts.

kaiser soze

Reading ADWD
Reserved. 10

Mandibuzz is an overlooked new 5th generation pokemon with good defensive stats, OK typing, decent speed, and most importantly a good recovery move with Roost. Furthermore, Overcoat gives it viability as a teammate for Sand and Hail teams since it doesn't have to worry about weather damage. It works best in lower tiers thanks to the reduced amount of Steel opponents; however, the only non-OU weather starter is Hippopotas in UU. I'm going to focus on UU threats to it.

On weather teams, one of its advantages it its uncommon typing, being one of the few non-Ground/Rock/Steel types that fit on a Sand team (or Ice on Hail).

For items: Always use Leftovers.

Abilities: Overcoat is clearly its best ability, as it offers an immunity to weather. Not as good as Magic Guard, but there's pokemon with worse.

Teammates: Mandi appreciates someone who can set up entry hazards for the opponent as it adds extra damage, plus she can force switches with Whirlwind, raking up damage. Hippopotas can start Sand in UU for it, and in higher tiers Tyranitar, Hippodown, and Abomasnow have autoweather abilities. Rapid Spin support is appreciated thanks to its typing. Ground type teammates can help absorb Rock and Electric attacks aimed at it. It can also pair well with a Steel or Rock type and switch into Ground (and to an extent Fighting) attacks aimed at them.

Counters: Four things Mandibuzz hates: Steels, Poison types, Magic Bounce, and Taunt. Steel and Poison type pokemon are immune to Toxic, Mandibuzz's best form of damage; best plan is to Whirlwind then away. Magic Bounce (namely from Xatu) makes Mandibuzz dead weight, as Toxic, Whirlwind, and Taunt are reflected back. Taunt prevents Toxic and Roost recovery, and Mandibuzz lacks the offensive stats to do much damage to anything neutral and doesn't have a move like Seismic Toss or Night Shade.

Last edited:

Ice Blue Dragon

I belive I can fly!
First non-resverved.

Ablities:
Big Pecks: Basiclly useless. Now you are protected from leer.
Overcoat: Protects you from weather, usefull on hail and sand teams.
DW Weak Armor: You defense goes down when hit, but your speed goes up. Because this guy is more of a wall, with 110 hp / 105 def / 95 sp.def it will not get that much use.

Last edited:

MetalCrow

Phazer/ PP Staller
-----------------------------
Overcoat+Leftovers
Jolly + 252HP/252Speed/4Def
-Whirlwind
-Taunt
-Substitute
-Roost

Designed specifically to abuse spikes and rocks support...and PP stall out walls if the need be

Iceydude168

Overcoat+Leftovers
Impish + 252HP/96Def/160SDef
-Roost
-Taunt
-Toxic
-Knock Off/Whirlwind.

Basic Stallbreaker. Roost to recover health from SR damage and random hits you take. Taunt to prevent Refresh, Heal Bell, Aromatherapy, and Rest/Recover/Softboiled/any other recovery move. Toxic to Badly Poison walls, Knock Off to mess up Pokemon that need their item to do anything (i.e. Chansey, Tangela, Porygon2, Choiced Mons that need an item for speed or damage like Banded Dragonite who might attempt a switch on a Taunt)

Set-Up Wall
Taunt
Toxic
Protect
U-Turn
Item:Leftovers/Focus Sash
Jolly Nature(+Speed-Sp.Attack)
Ev's:4Attack/124Defence/124Sp.Defence/252Speed

Simple set.You taunt,if it's a steel type or a threat U-turn or else Toxic Protect Stall.

ruyjohn

ace trainer
Overcoat+Leftovers
careful+248 HP / 244 SpD / 16 Spe
-Taunt
-Roost
-Toxic
-Brave Bird / Whirlwind/Fly

Brave Bird/Fly wont do a lot of damage, but it´s a way to take some HP. Fly is great: gives one turn without damage and more toxic damage (toxic is the best way to take damage). This is a great wall, but with a better movepool it would be a great pokemon

grantholomew

accually is dolan
Mandistall
Mandibuzz @ Leftovers
Trait: Overcoat/Big Pecks
EVs: 252 HP/88 Def/168 SDef
Careful (+SDef, -SAtk)/Impish (+Def, -SAtk)
- Pluck/Aerial Ace/Brave Bird
- Protect/Whirlwind
- Toxic
- Roost
Pluck or Aerial Ace or Brave Bird are for STAB. The rest are for stalling. Overcoat is good for weather battles but Big Pecks is good for non-weather battles.

Porgon-XYZ

Wut are you saying?
Bulky Booster
Mandibuzz@Leftovers
Nature: Calm/Modest
Ability: Overcoat
Evs: 248Hp/252satk/8sdef
Moves:
-Nasty Plot
-Roost
-Air Slash/Hidden Power Fighting
-Dark Pulse/Taunt

Thanks to Mandi's natural bulk, it can easily get in multiple boosts with Nasty Plot, and heal off damage with Roost. This set is meant for the lower tiers, for in higher ones it is outclassed. You'll usually need at least 2 boosts to sweep. Air Slash is a STAB move, but can be replaced with HP Fighting so Steels won't wall you as badly. Dark Pulse and HP Fighting have near perfect coverage together, but Taunt can be used so you won't have to worry about entrys, status, taunts, and all that.

Striker X

Certified dumb user
I would recommend 4-8 speed EVs to outspeed other Mandibuzz's, possibly Dragonites, possibly Brelooms, etc. (Even though it's rare, I don't expect you to really miss those 8 EVs when you taunt a different Mandibuzz). Unless of course, it's in a trick room team.

Just a suggestion.

Last edited:

Ilan

Wannabe Skarmory
@leftovers
ability:eek:vercoat
nature:impish
EV: 252 HP, 212 Defense, 40 SP.defense
Brave Bird
Roost
Whirlwind
Toxic/will o wisp

well it is a UU version of skarmory without spikes and a lot weaker, Brave Bird is STAB and prevent being taunt bait (might 0Hko hitnonlee... not sure), Roost heals damage, Whirlwind phazes set up stuff and spreads toxic, will o wisp shut down those physical sweepers for the rest of the match (or till rest/heal bell is activated)

need to be used with stealthrock or spikes to work effectively
no sure about EVs but I always spread it

Meowmeow

selfproclaimed guru
I wouldn't say Mandibuzz is bad, but I will say it is weird. It's a completely different beast compared to Honchkrow. Mandibuzz does have the tools for the job as a defensive Pokemon or a bulky Nasty Plot set.
As far as abilities are concerned, Overcoat is the way to go. There are not many moves that drop your defense stat, making Big Pecks kinda pointless and Weak Armor is not something a defensive Pokemon should be using.

A Standard
Nature: Sassy/Careful
EVs: 252 defense and HP, 4 special defense
@: Leftovers

Roost
Taunt
Tailwind/Toxic
U-Turn/Toxic

A pretty basic support set.

Another standard

Nature: Sassy/Careful
EVs: 252 defense and HP, 4 special defense

Roost
Substitute
Toxic
Torment

You'll have to be careful of Taunt users, but this can get the job done.

Bulky Nasty Plot

Nature: Timid/Calm
EVs: 252 speed and HP, 4 special attack

Nasty Plot
Roost/Tailwind
Dark Pulse
Air Slash/Roost

While a base 55 special attack is nothing to boast about, Mandibuzz can pull off a surprise offensive with Nasty Plot. Dark Pulse and Air Slash are the attacks to use. The last slot depends on what you want. Roost gives Mandibuzz staying power while Tailwind can support your team while enhancing Mandibuzz's offensive. If you want both, Air Slash is the best move to drop for Roost. If you want both attacking moves, leave Tailwind support to someone else if you really want Roost.

Other options:
Whirlwind is a phazing move that Mandibuzz can make great use of alongside Toxic. It would be better if Mandibuzz could set up entry hazards, but Whirlwind is still a good move to use.
Incinerate can destroy berries.
Same goes for Pluck.
While Brave Bird is a strong STAB move to use, the recoil is a turn off for Mandibuzz. If a solid offensive is what you want, better to run Nasty Plot.

That's Mandibuzz!

Sala-imence

Rock type trainer
Yes! Mandibuzz!

Item: Leftovers
Nature: Careful (High SpD, Low SpA)
EVs: 252 HP / 122 Atk / 130 Spd
Ability: Big Pecks
Moveset:
- Fly
- Roost
- Toxic
- Protect

I love this set. It is a good support set for one of the bost defensive flying types in the game. BIG PECKS ensures that physical pokemon do not make it easy for themselves. Overcoat is ok, but leftovers and roost can deal with the damage from hail and sandstorm.

TOXIC: Start with this, to give constant damage

PROTECT: Stalls the foe's attacks, and gives you a free turn to heal with leftovers and for the poison to take more effect.

ROOST: Useful for when you have just used protect, and you need to heal. The lack of flying type for the rest of the turn may give you an advantage.

FLY: Like protect, it provides a stall turn, in which you heal and posion does damage. It also stops you from being Taunt bait.

Sucker_Punch

I use Mandibuzz very succesfully on my Dark type team on PO, and I like her alot actually. I'll update with the set I use later.

Stall Wall

1.Toxic
2.Roost
3.Brave Bird
4.Taunt/ whirlwind/U-Turn

Nature: Careful
EV's: 252 HP, 252 Sp.Def, 4 Def

The only kinda set she should run cos of her poor offences. Toxic is her main for of damage which when combined with Sandstorm or Hail and Entry Hazards can really hurt the opponent badly. Whirlwind can be use to exploit this. Taunt is to stop opposing walls setting up on her. Because of her weakness to stealth rocks and their ever presence U-turn may be bad but allows her to scout out to a rapid spinner if you have one that is. Roost shakes off the stealth rock damage and prolongs her stay even more in general thanks to leftovers too. Brave Bird is there to stop her from being taunt bait plus it's base 120 power + STAB this vulture mama might deal some nice damage too.

Other options:

Nasty Plot: Allows a special offence set which would Probably be good if wasn't for her Sp.Atk base of 55.

Defog: If you are, for some reason, unable to have a rapid spinner in your team, this vulture mama can take on that role with Defog with its similar effect. It also removes opposing teams Safeguard, Mist, Light Screen and Reflect too and lowers Evasion. Bonus! * *(Will likely need to replace 4th slot move)

Fly: Helps stall toxic and that's about it. It can replace Brave Bird as an attacking move but if you're already taunted and the target is not poisoned it's probably not worth it.

Jolly Nature: If you are confident in Mandibuzz's natural Defences then you can have her jolly so she can taunt opposing walls easier as they most likely have little or now Speed investment.

Last edited:

Ice Blue Dragon

I belive I can fly!
Defog: If you are, for some reason, unable to have a rapid spinner in your team, this vulture mama can take on that role with Defog with its similar effect. It also removes opposing teams Safeguard, Mist, Light Screen and Reflect too and lowers Evasion. Bonus! * *(Will likely need to replace 4th slot move)

Defog also removes entry hazards on your opponits side.

lucas9999ize

Dog Trainer
Please change the Pokémon. Mandibuzz isn't really good. It does not even have a good dark type move and it's attack stat isn't impressive to.

BanetteFan

Finally, one of my favorite Unova Pkmn. She's one of the reasons why I chose the Black version instead of White.

Bulky Buzzard
Nature: Careful/Impish
Toxic
Roost
Brave Bird
Taunt/Whirlwind/Knock Off

Pretty much the only Mandibuzz you will ever see, but it's the best and it's good at what it does: wall. Toxic is really the best way to deal any real consistent damage with Mandi's mediocre offensive marks, while Roost lets you outstall the opposition. Brave Bird is Mandi's strongest STAB move; it stops you from becoming completely helpless against fast Taunters (like Crobat) and you can just Roost off the recoil damage. The last slot depends on your own taste—Taunt can shut down other walls, Whirlwind is good for stat-boosters and if you have entry hazards set up, Knock Off can screw over things that rely on items (Choice users and their Bands/Scarfs, walls and their Leftovers, NFEs and their Eviolites, etc.).

*Hippowdon would make a good partner for Mandibuzz. It's Ground-typing can stand up against Electric and Rock attacks, making it an effective shield against two of Mandi's weaknesses, it can instantly create a sandstorm (good with Overcoat) and can reliably set up Stealth Rock. Claydol is good too for similar reasons, and it can Spin away the opposition's Stealth Rock, which, as a wall, Mandi hates. Something that can take Ice-type attacks is recommended to add to you team because the vulture and the hippo are weak to Ice.

Ride the (Tail)Wind
Nature: Impish/Careful
Tailwind
U-Turn
Roost
Brave Bird/Taunt

This makes Mandi more of a team player. Start with Tailwind and use U-Turn to both damage the opponent and switch to a slow but powerful counter, like Swampert, Ursaring, whatever you wish. Roost off any damage taken from Brave Bird if you think you can really nail something on your own. Taunt makes it even safer for sweepers to come in because it guarantees the opposition can't hit you with any Thunder Waves, Will-o-Wisps, etc.

Scheming Vulture
Nature: Timid
Nasty Plot
Air Slash
Dark Pulse
Roost

Really more of a novelty set for Mandi's mediocre offensive power, and because Honchkrow hits way harder with it but the vulture still at least has the move pool (and she's must sturdier than the boss raven). Nasty Plot raises Mandi's Sp. Attack to, respectable, levels, Air Slash and Dark Pulse offer special STABS, and both are powerful with a chance to flinch the opponent. Roost off any damage taken and proceed to sweep. I suggest pairing this set with something that can break through Steel-types or those armored annoyances can stand in your way all day.

Serpentine

Pokemon Breeder
Swagger and Punishment.

Mandibuzz can get a base power of 120 not including STAB. Not only that but she can increase the amount of damage done to the opponent when it gets hurt in its confusion. Mandibuzz can also use Flatter. Sableye, Vullaby and Mandibuzz are the only ones that can pull of this combo of Swagger, Flatter, and STAB Punishment. However, Mandibuzz is better due to its high HP and Defenses, therefore it's able to take a hit.

Bone Rush is a must have since it can cover both of Mandibuzz's weaknesses.

Although Mandibuzz's Attack is higher, Mandibuzz has access to both Nasty Plot and Fake Tears. It's Sp. Attack isn't much lower so it can benefit to have a Special Mandibuzz, though your movepool will be limited.

Status
Not open for further replies.