• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #56

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Right guys, let's go for another one.

576.png

This week, we're covering Gothitelle

Gothitelle is a decent Psychic-type Pokémon introduced within Unova

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/576.shtml

Go nuts

AmbipomMaster

#TeamInstinct
First post! I never used Gothitelle, always preferred Reuniclus...

chuckeroo777

#1 Bug Type Fan
Gothitelle is supposed to be a defencive partner to rueniclus, but while it has higher defences, rueniclushas better HP and special attack.
Gothitelle is doomed to obscurity, at least until its dream world ability comes out.
With shadow tag, it can switch on a non-treat, then calm mind up to six, and sweep.

grantholomew

accually is dolan
Firat to post a set...
Gothitelle isn’t as good as Reuniclus, but it gets Shadow Tag from the Dream World, so with a Trick Room set up, Gothitelle can still be pretty lethal.
576.gif

Reuniclus Wannabe
Gothitelle @ Life Orb/Leftovers
Trait: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 SAtk
Quiet (+SAtk, -Spd)
- Psychic/Psyshock
- Shadow Ball/Hidden Power Fighting/Taunt
- Shadow Ball/Hidden Power Fighting/Taunt
- Trick Room
Psychic or Psyshock are for STAB. Shadow Ball and Hidden Power Fighting are for coverage. Taunt is for…taunting. Trick Room allows you to become faster than most threats because your Quiet nature lowers your speed.

They should really have a Trick Room Version of Heat Rock.

Nightdawn

Gamer Since 1987
Gothitelle, Used this on my first team was pretty decent but I guess it lacked some stats compared to other psychic types. The looks are actually not that bad :>.

Heart breaker
Modest
Leftovers/Berries
50/50 Speed/Health EV

Uproar
Attract
Psychic
Thunder Wave

This is the set I used alot for competitive, It's quite nice and it can really piss off the opponent,
Thunder Wave then Attract after that go with Psychic or Uproar, Uproar will keep the opponent from using Rest,
It's very effective against obvious rest'ers.

All Out
Modest
Choice Scarf/Scarfs
50/50 Sp.A / Speed

Psychic
Shadow Ball
Dark Pulse
Hyper Beam

Well just all out sweep, doesn't work as good as other
psychic types but I guess with her Frisk you can detect and make predictions easier.

Btchslapper
Adamant
Scarfs/Leftovers
Attack EV

Low Sweep
Payback
Hidden Power [Fght]
Tickle

Don't have to explain this set do I? Just Tickle and Sweep :>

TurboMechaElgyem

Gothitelle is quite a unique pokemon, in that it is a defensive pure psychic who relies on eliminating foes' items. It has jack-of-all trades stats, but is hindered by the lack of recovery moves. Not only that, but deoxys-d outclasses it in many ways. Still, shadow tag gives it a unique niche.

Frisk: this is useful with embargo or wonder room, but is pointless anywhere else
Shadow tag: a fantastic ability, especially on a stall set. Toxic-trapping is probably gothitelle's best set.

Toxitrapper
-toxic
-Heal block
-rest/Charm/flatter
-psychic
Shadow tag
Leftovers
252 hp 252 def 4 sp def
Bold/calm

Probably the best set. Toxic to damage. Psychic to avoid taunt bait. Heal block to insure damage. The last move is for annoying the opponent or healing.

Kraleck

Abilities
Gothitelle got two interesting choices - Frisk and Shadow Tag.

Frisk is okay if you absolutely need to know what kind of opponent a Pokemon is (Choice Sweeper, Life Orb Sweeper, Leftovers Staller, etc.). However, many Pokemon will have an obvious Item from their species alone (Blissey with Leftovers, etc.). On the other hand, it can ruin Zoroark's Illusion if the Item doesn't match the Pokemon you're facing (for example, a "Conkeldurr" with Choice Specs or a "Weezing" with Air Balloon is a dead giveaway that it's a Zoroark). It also helps with Torment, Thief, Embargo, or Magic Room.

Shadow Tag is more reliable in every way except one: Availability. The DW Abilities are not available for Unova Dex Pokemon yet, so Gothitelle cannot legally have Shadow Tag yet. However, it does give you a solid chance against Wobbuffet and allows you to neutralize with Embargo more reliably. This also allows you to weaken the Stats of an opponent with Fake Tears, Tickle, and Charm, chip away with Toxic, or mess with the opponent via Torment.

Gothitelle VS Reuniclus - Gothitelle Edition
Gothitelle has a better defensive game than Reuniclus. While it lacks Reuniclus's superior HP, Gothitelle can screw with the opponents strategy as an Annoyer/Disruptor. If you can Torment a Choice Item Pokemon, they cannot stick with their chosen Move.

As for offense, Psyshock and Dark Pulse (Egg) are your most reliable assets. Psyshock gets you around Special Defenders like the Hitmon' trio, Chans-Eviolite, Blissey, Ninetales, Muk, and more while Dark Pulse can help you flinch slower Psychic or Ghost Types if you're lucky.

Reuniclus may have a deep offensive Movepool, but Gothitelle can compliment many offensive Pokemon with an incredible status game. Psychic Types are usually known for offense, but Gothitelle makes you think when using it and fighting against it.

TimmahX

Calm Mind seeks Revenge
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Nature: Bold
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Shadow Tag

- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Calm Mind
- Taunt

An interesting yet somewhat gimmicky strategy for Gothitelle, it relies on switching into defensive Pokemon like Chansey and using Taunt to buy time for free Calm Mind sweeps. Running high Defense is critical to this set, since Gothitelle's Special Defense is perfectly useable at its base and it will just be getting boosted anyway. For offense, Psyshock provides STAB and hits Chansey for more damage than Psychic, and Chansey is a great Pokemon to switch into with this set. Shadow Ball should take the second slot for attacks so that Gothitelle can fight off other Psychic types.

This set should be viable for either of its pre-evolutions with Eviolite. It's 2nd stage winds up with better defenses after, but lacks Leftovers recovery.

A Gimmicky Room made of Screens
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Item: Light Clay
Ability: Shadow Tag

- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Trick Room
- Magic Room / Psyshock / Psychic

Gimmicks say hello again, but this one can prove to be pretty effective on a good switch in. Just set up Light Screen, Reflect, Trick Room and Magic Room as needed, or you can run an attack over Magic Room. Magic Room provides a nice way to combat being on the receiving end of Trick/Switcheroo that pans out unfavorably for one of your teammates, but you should always try to screen first if you decide to use it.

Countering Gothitelle

Gothitelle lacks a viable recovery move besides rest and its already really pressed for move slots as it is. It's really easy to outrun Gothitelle for a revenge kill, and it doesn't respond favorably to physical Dark and Ghost attacks. Absol, Tyranitar, Sharpedo, Crawdaunt, Honchkrow, Weavile, Scrafty and Bisharp all wreck Gothitelle. Outspeeding it is also just a good idea in general to put the hurt on it quickly, or you can go for the defensive route. Any Steel type should be able to wall Gothitelle.

Last edited:

Missingno. Master

Poison-type Trainer
Calm Mind Goth
Gothitelle@Leftovers
Bold nature
Frisk/Shadow Tag
252 HP/252 Def/4 Sp. Def
~Calm Mind
~Psychic
~Shadow Ball
~Rest/Protect

With Gothitelle's great defenses, it can pull off a Calm Mind set easily. CM up to boost Special Attack and Special Defense, while relying on the nature and EVs for dealing with physical damage. Psychic is for STAB, Shadow Ball is filler, and the last move depends on several things. Rest is Gothitelle's only option for restoring HP, but Protect can help let Leftovers do its work. Also works if you go with Shadow Tag (once it's legal), in tandem with Truant Entrainment Durant.

Item is obvious. Ability depends on whether or not they release Shadow Tag Gothita/Gothorita/Gothitelle. If yes, then go with Shadow Tag. If not, you'll have to go with Frisk.

Goth Sweeper
Gothitelle@Life Orb
Quiet nature
Frisk/Shadow Tag
252 Sp. Atk/252 HP/4 Def
~Psychic
~Thunderbolt/Charge Beam
~Shadow Ball
~Hidden Power (Fighting)

Gothitelle can also sweep, but its Speed is not especially conductive to such a set. Under Trick Room conditions, however, that's another matter. Psychic for STAB, Shadow Ball and HP Fighting for perfect coverage, and Thunderbolt for filler, or Charge Beam for that chance of a Special Attack increase.

Item is obvious. Ability I explained on the last set.

Other options:
*Gothitelle has a semi-decent physical movepool, including Brick Break, Rock Slide, and Frustration. None of those moves are worth it, however, with its base 55 Attack. It learns no moves to boost it, unless you count Swagger and Psych Up, a combo so old it has mold growing on it. It could, however, make liberal use of Tickle on a Shadow Tag set...
*Heal Block is an interesting option for stopping the opponent from stalling by restoring its own HP. Used in tandem with Toxic on a Shadow Tag set could prove interesting.
*Psyshock is interchangeable with Psychic in all instances. It's a little weaker, but it helps to handle those pesky special walls like Chansey and Blissey.
*Low Speed, high defenses... Gothitelle is perfect for setting up Trick Room. Alternatively, it can go the other way and make usage of Thunder Wave.

Abilities:
*Frisk: When Gothitelle is sent out, it alerts its trainer (and the opposing trainer) to the opponent's held item. In doubles and triples, it alerts them to only one of the Pokémon's items, but doesn't state which opponent is holding it. Knowing your opponent's held item is a pretty handy piece of information to have, but Gothitelle has, it must be said, a far better option...
*Shadow Tag: Gothitelle's Hidden Ability, and an Arceussend to this otherwise outclassed-by-Reuniclus Psychic-type. Or it will be, once it's released, anyway. Prevents the opponent from switching out unless it also has Shadow Tag. Does not prevent U-Turn, Volt Switch, or Baton Pass. There are so many ways Gothitelle can benefit from its opponent being unable to switch out, especially if they have Truant and Gothitelle has Protect...

Partners:
Unless it's setting Trick Room up itself, Gothitelle would appreciate help in that department. For any Shadow Tag Gothitelle, the perfect partner is Truant Durant, with Entrainment and a Choice Scarf, maxed out Speed, Hasty nature, and 0 IVs and EVs in all the defensive stats. The idea is that Durant gets out an Entrainment to give Truant to the opponent, and gets OHKO'd on the same turn. Then you bring in Gothitelle and Protect on the non-Truant turns, and set up on the "slacking off" turns. Assuming your opponent doesn't ragequit in the middle of all this, you should find it extremely easy to max out Gothitelle's special stats.

Counters:
Chandelure's insane Special Attack and STAB Shadow Ball combine to cut through Gothitelle like socially awkward butter. Any semi-decent Special wall stops Gothitelle in its tracks unless it carries Psyshock.

Opinion:
I've liked Gothitelle from the beginning. There's just something about it, but what it is, I dunno. I actually considered using it on my team in Black version, but once I found out Zoroark was available pre-Elite 4, that went out the window. It's a shame that Reuniclus outclasses it so thoroughly.

Prediction for next week:
Weezing

outlaw4

Overview:
Shallow movepool, mediocre stats most notably it's speed, a useless ability and to top it all off a bad design (IMO). Not the best pokemon on paper but if played correctly it can be a force to weary of.Judging by its stat spread nintendo intended this poke to be a tank with 70/95/110 defences and a respectable 95 base special attack.

standard Goth
Ev's: HP248/188/72
@Leftovers
Psychic/Psyshock
Taunt
Hidden Power Fighting/Ground
Tickle

A standard Gothitelle set(I think).psychic is the more powerful of the two stabs but Psyshock can hit the defence stat which can be lowered with Tickle.Tickle can force switches making it possible to safely bring in a frail sweeper and rack enrty hazard damage it can also make you more bulky in defence, soften a wall and increase Psyshocks power.Taunt makes setup on the opposing side fail and again can force switches, not the best user of Taunt due to its 65 base speed but it gets the job done.Hidden power is Mainly for steels,Ground for Arbok and fire types notably Simisear, fighting for normal types example Ursaring.Fire for that annoying Shedinja.248 give an odd HP number so you get nine Stealth Rock switch ins instead of that boring old 8.

What's Sub, Gothielle? (get it?)
@Leftovers
EV's HP252/Def252/Spa or SpD4

Substitute
Calm Mind
Psychic
Thunder Wave

Almost self explanatory.Use Thunder Wave or sub depending on the opponent (T-wave for offensive mons Sub for defensive mons).T-wave has a 25% chance of full paralysis and cuts the opponents speed by 3/4,so next turn if they try to taunt you you will hopefully be behind a sub because you WILL be faster.If the opponent gets full paralysis, you get a free Sub or the opponent may want to switch out the crippled mon, also giving you a free Sub.once safely behind the Sub and immune to pesky status proceed to Calm Mind and and attempt to KO the most opponents possible with that STAB Psychic before going down.NOTE beware of dark types, they are immune to your only attack.

Dual Screens
EV's HP252/Def4/Spd252
@Lightclay or leftovers

Reflect
Light Screen
Psyshock/Psychic
Psych Up/Thunderbolt/Energy Ball

Yup one was bound to posted but oh well.Use Reflect or Light Screen depending on your opponent (Reflect for physical mons Light Screen for special mons).reflect and light screen double your WHOLE teams defenses for eight turns with Light Clay, five without it.Psychic/Psyshock stop you being complete Taunt bait.Psych Up is for those who want to come in and set up on you, so you can copy their boosts for yourself
(how greedy!).Thunderbolt for those annoying waters that try to wall example Mantine.Energy Ball for ground types who expect a Thunderbolt and switch in example Golem.

That's it for me pm or reply with what you think, would be much appreciated since this took LOOOONG to make.Thanks for reading!

ClefairyRox

Nintendo Fan
The Black-version exclusive Pokemon Gothitelle is the counterpart to White's Reuniclus. It's one of the strangest-looking Pokemon out there, looking like gothic lolita fashion come to life. Not to mention its cry is one of the more spine-chilling ones. With all that aside, its time to get down to the analysis.

From the base stats, you can see Gothitelle is built in the mold of a slow, defensive Psychic type that also has good special attack, much like its companion Reuniclus. Unfortunately for Gothitelle, Reuniclus outclasses it on both of those fronts. Despite having lower base defenses, Reuniclus has much higher HP and access to reliable recovery in the form of Recover. Reuniclus also has a much higher Sp. Attack stat. On the other hand, Gothitelle is much faster than Reuniclus, meaning it doesn't have to work under Trick Room (though it is still outrun by many Pokemon).

Frisk is the only ability Gothitelle can have right now. When Gothitelle is sent into battle, you are immediately notified of the opponent's held item. This ability is pretty sparsely spread, and it is useful for taking out the element of surprise on Pokemon that can have multiple viable movesets. The revelation of the item can help you swap to an appropriate counter.
Shadow Tag, Gothitelle's Hidden Ability, will probably become the standard once it is released. This extremely powerful ability prevents the foe from swapping out their Pokemon unless the other Pokemon also has Shadow Tag. I don't know if Shadow Tag will ban Gothitelle, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did.

Gothitelle's movepool is quite different from your typical Psychic type. There is the usual stuff like Psychic and Shadow Ball, but there are some weird ones. Despite having a poor Attack stat, Gothitelle gets Low Sweep and Brick Break. It also gets Dark Pulse, and is unique in that it's the only Psychic type besides Mew and Arceus to get the move. It's also one of the only Pokemon to get the move Magic Room. Trick Room can make up for Gothitelle's relatively low speed, but Reuniclus is better for that purpose.

Countering Gothitelle: This Psychic type has high defenses but below-average HP. In addition, it can't take repeated beatings because of its lack of reliable recovery. Physical attacks of the Ghost, Dark, and Bug variety are the best option. Pursuit is particularly effective, as you can catch Gothitelle as it tries to slip away. Beware of Magic Room; although Gothitelle is unlikely to carry the move, you never know when someone will break the mold.

Gothitelle is a decent Pokemon, but its inferiority complex to Reuniclus usually leaves it in the dust. It's a good choice for a bulky sweeper in lower tiers, but can't compete with all the other Psychic types out there until Shadow Tag is released.

gandaf

I used Gothitelle in my first team in Black. Since it has remained on of my favorites although it is not the strongest. This is the set i used.

Special Sweeper:
Psychic
Shadow Ball
Energy Ball/Dark Pulse/Etc.
Flatter

Phychic for STAB, Shadow Ball should be obvious. Energy Ball, Dark Pulse or what other special move you want to add in. Flatter is the oddball move. I find Flatter tends to work well with Goth's defenses. By raising the Sp. Attack and confusing the opponent i find that they are likely to damage themselves if used right and this really comes in handy for faster opponents. With the confusion you can down the opponent more easily.

Ilan

Am I the only one who thinks this pokemon should have been psychic/dark or just don't exist at all... the 25% chance it can be male is scary... if you use it make sure it is female or you opponent will ragequit out of creepyness.

It have a weird movepool although it is a more defensive pokemon than reuniculus it doesn't get recover
if not for shadow tag no one would look at this poor psychic pokemon as gardevoir is a much less creepy choice (who cares about stats? gardevoir is less creepy).

well I guess it can be a decent screener in NU after serperior (which is the best screener in NU) would get to OU/UU (countrary)

Gothitelle (F) @ Leftovers/Light clay
Trait: Frisk
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Sp.Attack
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Taunt
- Psychic

reflect doubles team defense, light screen doubles team sp.defense not too much to explain
taunt makes sure you are not a set up bait and psychic is for making sure you are not a taunt bait.
If you wonder why I mention Leftovers it is because gothitelle have no decent recovery move (like serperior got giga drain) so it might be useful

after release use shadow tag and you might use it even in UU or OU for it's ability to trap pokemons and set up screens on them

Restmind

Gothitelle (F) @ Chesto Berry/leftovers
Trait: Frisk
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Shadow Ball/HP fighting
- Psychic

Instructions: set up as many CM as you can and use rest when low on HP, when on +2/+3 or if yo have ST +6 start attacking with you move of choice.

a point for reno: what's the point in 3 ice moves on castform's hail set? use hydropump for better coverage
and there's no point in sand storm set cause there are better pokemon who can use a special rock move (HP rock can be used by a stronger pokemon which gives a better effect than using it from a base 70 sp.attack)

You missed up the double weather castform too.. oh well..

Asbestospoison

Excellent Driver
Hmm... Gothitelle never really stood out that much too me. But I can try something.

Gothitelle @ Leftovers
252 hp/ 200 Def/ 56 SpD
Calm
Frisk
-Toxic/TWave
-Taunt/HP Fighting
-Protect
-Psychic/Psyshock
I tried to make something that could take a hit pretty well, hence the EVs in defense. Toxic or TWave for annoyance, HP Fighting can be used to hit dark types or steel types, while taunt can prevent set-ups. Psychic for STAB, Psyshock if you want to hit more specially defensive. It's not the best, but gothitelle isn't exactly a great pokemon.

Missingno. Master

Poison-type Trainer
Calm Mind Goth Jr.
Gothorita@Eviolite
Bold nature
Frisk/Shadow Tag
252 HP/252 Def/4 Sp. Def
~Calm Mind
~Psychic
~Shadow Ball
~Rest/Protect

NFEs everywhere have been rejoicing nonstop ever since the Eviolite was introduced, and Gothorita is no exception. This marvelous item boosts its usually bleh defenses to levels that exceed that of Gothitelle. CM up to boost Special Attack and Special Defense, while relying on the nature and EVs for dealing with physical damage. Psychic is for STAB, Shadow Ball is filler, and the last move depends on several things. Rest is Gothorita's only option for restoring HP, but Protect works if you go with Shadow Tag (once it's legal), in tandem with Truant Entrainment Durant.

Item is obvious. Ability depends on whether or not they release Shadow Tag Gothita/Gothorita/Gothitelle. If yes, then go with Shadow Tag. If not, you'll have to go with Frisk.

Other options:
*Gothorita has a semi-decent physical movepool, including Rock Slide and Frustration. None of those moves are worth it, however, with its base 45 Attack. It learns no moves to boost it, unless you count Swagger and Psych Up, a combo so old it has mold growing on it. It could, however, make liberal use of Tickle on a Shadow Tag set...
*Heal Block is an interesting option for stopping the opponent from stalling by restoring its own HP. Used in tandem with Toxic on a Shadow Tag set could prove interesting.
*Psyshock is interchangeable with Psychic. It's a little weaker, but it helps to handle those pesky special walls like Chansey and Blissey.
*Low Speed, high defenses... Gothorita is perfect for setting up Trick Room. Alternatively, it can go the other way and make usage of Thunder Wave.

Abilities:
*Frisk: When Gothorita is sent out, it alerts its trainer (and the opposing trainer) to the opponent's held item. In doubles and triples, it alerts them to only one of the Pokémon's items, but doesn't state which opponent is holding it. Knowing your opponent's held item is a pretty handy piece of information to have, but Gothorita has, it must be said, a far better option...
*Shadow Tag: Gothorita's Hidden Ability, and an Arceussend to this Psychic-type. Or it will be, once it's released, anyway. Prevents the opponent from switching out unless it also has Shadow Tag. Does not prevent U-Turn, Volt Switch, or Baton Pass. There are so many ways Gothorita can benefit from its opponent being unable to switch out, especially if they have Truant and Gothorita has Protect...

Partners:
Unless it's setting Trick Room up itself, Gothorita would appreciate help in that department. For any Shadow Tag Gothorita, the perfect partner is Truant Durant, with Entrainment and a Choice Scarf, maxed out Speed, Hasty nature, and 0 IVs and EVs in all the defensive stats. The idea is that Durant gets out an Entrainment to give Truant to the opponent, and gets OHKO'd on the same turn. Then you bring in Gothorita and Protect on the non-Truant turns, and set up on the "slacking off" turns. Assuming your opponent doesn't ragequit in the middle of all this, you should find it extremely easy to max out Gothorita's special stats.

Counters:
Chandelure's insane Special Attack and STAB Shadow Ball combine to cut through Gothorita like socially awkward butter. Any semi-decent Special wall stops Gothorita in its tracks unless it carries Psyshock.

Opinion:
II got a thing for middle evolutions, dunno why. I like Gothorita.

Prediction for next week:
Weezing

Furret Master

Champion Seeker
Overview

Gothitelle is a Pokemon that is quite interesting. It is almost always compared to Reuniclus since they are the version-specific Psychic types of 5th generation. While Gothitelle is outclassed by Reuniclus in terms of its bulk and raw sweeping potential, Gothitelle has better defensive stats, especially its Sp. Defense. Gothitelle also has some good support moves that help it stall, although it lacks a reliable recovery move, which hurts its potential. Overall, I prefer Reuniclus, but Gothitelle can do its job well if it can set itself up and is by no means a terrible Pokemon.

Abilities

Frisk: Allows you to see what the opposing Pokemon has for a hold item. This can be useful in terms of figuring out what the opponent's strategy is, such as Choice-items and Air Ballon users. Not the greatest ability, but it can be very useful.

Shadow Tag: This ability is scary. The opposing Pokemon cannot switch out normally. This can be great for trapping Pokemon that Gothitelle can use to its advantage, such as a Pokemon that it can use to set up a sweep. Unfortunately, Gothitelle has not been released in the Dream World yet, so this ability does not have a lot of merit to it as of now. Once it is released, however, this ability will pretty much outclass Frisk as the ability of choice.

Movesets

Mixed Wall/ Staller
- Psyshock/ Psychic
- Rest
- Calm Mind
- Toxic
Ability: Shadow Tag/ Frisk
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Defense/ 4 Sp. Attack

This set attempts to make Gothitelle able to take hits from both sides of the spectrum, although it usually sets up to take special hits better. The first move keeps Gothitelle from being Taunt bait. Psyshock is weaker that Psychic, but targeting the opponent's Defense instead of its Sp. Defense is useful for taking down dedicated special walls such as Chansey. Although it is not a reliable recovery move, Rest restores Gothitelle's HP and removes major status conditions at the cost of putting it to sleep for two turns. Calm Mind boosts Gothitelle's Sp. Attack and Sp. Defense by one stage, making it take and dish out hits better from the special side. Toxic is useful for wearing down Pokemon that Gothitelle cannot touch, such as many Dark-type Pokemon.

Dedicated Sweeper
- Psychic/ Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Shadow Ball
- Grass Knot/ Thunderbolt
Item: Choice Specs
Nature: Modest
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Sp. Attack/ 4 Speed

Although Gothitelle is slow with a base 65 Speed, it has the defensive stats that can help it to survive hits and then hit hard. Psychic and Psyshock are powerful STAB. You just need to determine which defensive stat you want to target. Unfortunately, Gothitelle does not get Focus Blast, so it must rely on Hidden Power [Fighting] to take on the Dark and Steel-types that attempt to wall its STAB move. Shadow Ball creates wonderful coverage with the first two moves by taking on other Psychic-types as well as Ghosts. Both Grass Knot and Thunderbolt are good for taking on bulky Water-types and just add some type coverage. Grass Knot is more for the bulky Waters that are also Ground, while Thunderbolt has a more consistent power and takes on Water/Flying types like Mantine better

Trick Room Sweeper
- Trick Room
- Calm Mind
- Psychic/ Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
Nature: Quiet
IVs: 0 Speed

This set utilizes Gothitelle's poor Speed. Trick Room makes slower Pokemon move first, which will mean that Gothitelle has a better chance to set itself up and attack. Calm Mind boosts to make Gothitelle even better in terms of its special stats. Psychic or Psyshock, take your pick. Hidden Power [Fighting] provides great coverage.

General Disruption
- Psychic/ Psyshock
- Toxic
- Heal Block
- Embargo
Ability: Frisk/ Shadow Tag

This set makes Gothitelle into a controller by messing up some of the opponent's strategies. The Psychic move is to prevent Gothitelle from being Taunt bait. Toxic is just cool and wears down the opponent. Heal Block prevents the opponent from recovering HP for 5 turns, either by moves or by items. This is good for dealing with Pokemon that will attempt to take Toxic and stall you out with a recovery move. Embargo prevents the Pokemon from being able to use its hold item for 5 turns. This is useful for messing up item-based strategies. Because of this move, running Frisk can be useful to determine how much of a priority Embargo is.

Other Options:

-Gothitelle has access to many stat-lowering moves, including Charm, Fake Tears, Capitvate, and Tickle. These can be used as pseudo-phazing moves, but in terms of actual usefulness, Calm Mind is usually the better option.
-Flatter and Swagger can be used to inflict confusion if you really want to try it.
-Gothitelle can be a dual screener by running Reflect and Light Screen to support its teammates. While it has the defensive stats to pull it off, its Speed causes it to have issues in pulling it off outside of Trick Room. Also, there are better screeners that would be worth considering, but Gothitelle can do it if it set up properly.
-Dark Pulse can be used over Shadow Ball. The major differences are the types that are covered and replacing the chance to lower the opponent's SP. Defense with the chance to flinch. Since Gothitelle is slow outside of Trick Room, this is not always the best trade-off.

Counters

If Gothitelle does not run Rest, it has little recovery outside of Leftovers, hurting its chances to stall. If Gothitelle is not running Psyshock, special walls can sit in and take hits fairly comfortably and stall with Toxic. Dark and Steel-type Pokemon that take neutral damage from Fighting-type moves can wall Gothitelle's STAB move and take its other moves somewhat comfortably. Steels also have the benefit of being immune to Toxic. Honchkrow and Bronzong are good examples of this. Hitting Gothitelle with physical moves are the best choice, especially if it runs Calm Mind. Again, Gothitelle is outclassed by Reuniclus in many ways, but it can do its job effectively and can do some serious damage to teams that aren't able to handle what Gothitelle can throw at them.

Vandslaux

Shadow Tag is literally the reason to use Gothitelle at all. If you're not using it in DW tiers, you're better off with anothe Psychic-type.

Phoenix_85x

Phantom Gengar
When i think about gothitelle i think about trick room.
And i won't use add shadow tag in any of these movesets since it isn't released yet. but when it is, use it instead of frisk.

Trick room
~ Psychic/Psyshock
~ Charge beam/Thunderbolt
~ Trick room
~ Taunt/Charm
Ability: Frisk
EV training: 252 HP, 252 SpAtk.
Nature: Quitet (+ SpAtk - Spe)

Just set up trick room and sweep or switch into a sweeper.
Psychic and psyshock are for STAB. The latter is only if you need to counter special walls.
Charge beam or thunderbolt are mainly filler moves. Charge beam is for the SpAtk bonus but since it is weak and only has 70% chance to increase SpAtk, thunderbolt is better.
In the last slot, charm is for physical attackers since gothitelle's defense isn't the best and since it lacks a reliable recovery move, it won't be able to take too many hits.
Taunt is for taunting, just in case you need to do that.

Other options
Calm mind turns gothitelle into a good sweeper, but since it lacks speed (trick room only lasts for 5 turns anyway) and a recovery move, it won't last for too long.
ChestoRest can be considered to be used but it might not have lots of use outside of a calm mind set.
HP Fighting can be used but gothitelle won't be able to defeat dark types easily even if it has it (And thunderbolt does more damage against honchkrow and bronzong).

arashik

Supreme Scizor
Gothitelle isn't really a good psychic type to choose from considering others, but using the DW ability it can be useful.

Trick Room
-Psychic/Psyshock-
-Trick room-
-Shadow ball/Thunderbolt-
-Taunt/Calm mind-
Ability: Shadow tag
EV's: 252 HP, 252 SpAtk, 4 Def
Nature: Quiet (+SpAtk, -Spd)

Trick room allows you to use your slow speed to your advantage. Both Psychic and Psyshock get stab and are special attacks. Thunderbolt is a good move to use with SpAtk and breaks through bulky water types (e.g blastoise). Taunt is for, well, taunting i guess. Calm mind is another option incase you need a bit of a stat boost.

Toxic Wall
-Toxic-
-Psychic/Psyshock
-Trick room-
-Calm mind/Hidden Power Fighting-
Item: leftovers
Ability: Shadow tag
EV's: 252 Def, 252 HP, 252 SpAtk
Nature: Quiet (+SpAtk, -Spd)

Again, Trick room takes advantage over its poor speed. Toxic is used to slowly kill the opponent (seeing as they cant switch out). Psychic/Psyshock both take STAB and are special attacks. Calm mind if you need a small stat boost. Hidden power Fighting has great coverage.

Counters:
Chandelure:
Chandelure with its insane SpAtk gets STAB and is super effective on Gothitelle. Thus, if running trick room, it gets a free turn against Gothitelle (most likely shadow ball) so it is very dangerous.

Soperman

The One and Only
The first time I got Black version, and my friend got White, I was totally jealous of his kick-butt Reuniclus versus my lame Gothitelle.
Now I know Gothitelle isn't as horrible as I thought. She has decent Sp. Atk and Defense, and nice Special Defense. She's really ugly tho .__.
ANYWAY, I feel like without Shadow Tag, Gothitelle is outclassed by Reuniclus in almost every way. Better Trick Room sweeper, better bulk, and a better moveset. Heck, even Duosion outclasses Gothitelle with Eviolote. Shadow Tag was a god-send from Gamefreak

Abilities:
Frisk: You can see your opponent's item when you switch in. Next to useless.
Shadow Tag (DW): This makes Gothitelle deadly. Shadow tag prevents the opponent from switching until Gothitell faints or switches out, or the opponent faints.

I've got you now!
-Trick Room
-Psychic
-Calm Mind
-Shadow Ball/Hidden Power [Fighting]
Item: Wise Glasses
Abilities: Shadow Tag
EVs and Nature: Quiet (+Sp. Atk, -Spd)
200 Hp/56 Def/252 Sp. Atk (0 Speed IVs)
When I said Shadow Tag was a god-send, I wasn't kidding. It turns Gothitelle from an average Psychic type into a deadly revenge killer. Switch in to a pokemon that can't really hurt you, set up Trick Room and Calm Mind, then sweep. Psychic for STAB, but let's face it, Psychic doesn't have that great coverage. So let's add in Shadow Ball for Ghost and Psychic types, or Hidden Power [Fighting] for Steel and Dark types. The item is to give Gothitelle a much-needed Sp. Atk boost on all moves by 20%. EVs are for slight bulk and maximum fire power.

Support
-Trick Room
-Thunder Wave
-Toxic
-Psyshock
Ability: Either one works
EVs and Nature: Bold (+Def, -Atk)
252 Hp/156 Def/100 Sp. Atk
Support role. Set up Trick Room or stop a sweep with TW. Toxic is filler, and Psyshock is so you aren't Taunt bait. I chose Bold over Relaxed because there's no point in making it slow if it won't sweep using Trick Room. EVs for bulk.

Other Options
Energy Ball/Thunderbolt give Gothitelle extra covarage I guess...
Future Sight can be used to cripple any walls or counters you predict coming.

Double and Triple Options
LOL no.

Partners
Pokemon like Beeheeyem or Porygon-2 who can set up Trick Room are nice. Pokemon who can take down Steel and Dark types are also appreciated.

Coutnering Gothitelle
Simple enough, really. Unless it's running HP[Fighting], it can't touch Dark or Steel types. Bisharp utterly destroys Gothitelle. Dugtrio can give Gothitelle a taste of its own medicine with Arena Trap and Sucker Punch. Chandelure works in a similar manner.

Status
Not open for further replies.