• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #56

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilosophicalPsychologica

Oh...it's the Shadow Tag guy with the hard-to-spell name.

Obviously, this Pokemon's niche is an offensive Shadow Tagger. The difference it holds from Chandelure is that Candlez has a much stronger offensive capability to abuse it with and isn't as sluggish. Sure, you can CM up Gothie and eliminate something, but watch Scizor come out next turn or something and crush you with a U-turn or Pursuit.

Stat-wise, Gothie is pretty strong defensively...but then you think about it some more and you think what does Goth really have to brag over Cresselia or Uxie? Also, being generic Psychic-Types, they have mostly the same movepool (actually, Goth is sorta inferior due to lacking key moves such as Moonlight, U-turn, or Stealth Rock). It isn't even nearly as fast. Indeed, stat-wise, the only thing Goth really can hold over them is a good Special Attack, so that must be taken into consideration.
That really is unfortunate considering Goth's movepool in tandem with its Ability makes it sort of a disruptor Pokemon instead of being a sole sweeper. In conclusion, Goth must capitalize on its Special Attack and/or its Ability (especially the Ability) to make use of its niche.

This tends to be a problem. Against offensive Pokemon, Goth might not be able to survive two hits (two strikes from Heatran's 252 Timid Fire Blast is nearly a guaranteed 2HKO). Against defensive Pokemon...Goth really can't do anything back. Goth can set up all the Calm Minds it wants or Thunder Wave that Ferrothorn - good luck withstanding Power Whip. This makes for a very awkward Pokemon. The solution to this is to make Goth a hit-and-run defensive Pokemon.

DualScreens @ Light Clay
Light Screen
Reflect
Thunder Wave/Torment
Psychic/Taunt
Max HP is a must. Otherwise, the EVs are rather free, but usually you want to pour them all into Defence if nothing else.

TR @ Leftovers/Eviolite
Trick Room
Psychic

I really don't know what to put in the last two slots - it's such a bare-bones moveset, you can put anything you think can support your team, such as Safeguard or either DualScreen.

WOBBUFFET @ Leftovers
252 HP/252
Thunder Wave
Tickle
Psyshock
Reflect/Mirror Coat/Safeguard/Hidden Power

Obviously, Tickle and Shadow Tag are meant to doom a Pokemon to Pursuit, the very reason why Wobbuffet would ever want to arm itself with Tickle. Although Wobbuffet is considerably more bulky than Goth can ever be, Goth's Special Defence is still pretty cool, and Tickle helps it Physically, both defensively and offensively (considering Psyshock). There's also the conumdrum: If Goth can set up Tickles on the opponent anyway, why bother switching in the Pursuiter when Goth can outright destroy with Psyshock or Toxicstall? Well, Goth doesn't have to stay in the whole time. It can Thunder Wave the target on the switch, and switch itself out. Later on, it can catch the target on the switch with a Tickle, then swap out to the Pursuiter. This is especially true for Psychics that resist Psyshock anyway. Also, Goth can do little to threaten a Pokemon if it knocks out the enemy itself, especially if the opponent pulls out a Scizor or a Subber. Tickle also prompts the opponent to pull out a Special Attacker on Goth, making Mirror Coat extremely dangerous. This is exemplified on in my "Other Options."

Offensive @ Choice Specs/Leftovers
Psychic/Psyshock
Dark Pulse/Shadow Ball
Energy Ball/Hidden Power/Taunt/Thunder Wave/Calm Mind/Substitute

You probably want to max out HP or SpDef after Special Attack. With Specs, you have seven even remotely offensive options to consider. In conjunction with the Shadow Tag Ability, this can practically guarantee the elimination of one opponent that can't hurt Goth. Unfortunately, Goth is rather vulnerable to a lot of things, especially when targeted for a revenge kill. It doesn't matter which move you pick - your opponent will bring in something that can set up. Scizor can Pursuit, or, even worse, Swords Dance. Salamence takes 80% and can choose to either rape Goth on the spot or set up a Dragon Dance. Dragonite can do the same thing, just bulkier.
The same applies for Calm Mind. Goth can eliminate something, but if the opponent can send out a Physical sweeper after that, Goth is doomed. With this in mind, don't max out CM boosts on the assumption they're going to get erased with Goth's KO or retreat. For this reason, Fake Tears is a very possible option. As for the retreat, keep two bulky Pokemon in mind: one that can endure Choicers (like Bronzong) and one that can counter boosters (like Quagsire). You may think a Substitute can help remedy this problem, but Goth isn't exactly bulky enough to keep a 25% shield against even the Pokemon it counters, and it also heavily detracts from its already meager movepool.

If there's one thing Goth is good at, it's defending against Special Attackers. Keep that in mind and have some Physically strong walls, preferably those that can counter against Pursuit/U-turn users.
Given Goth's in-and-out play style, Frisk may actually offer some potential as an Ability, but Shadow Tag has more practical use.
Goth has pretty good Special bulk, but in order to avoid a 2HKO from the most brutal Special attackers, Goth needs maxed HP and SpDef. With maximum bulk, Goth will be taking 40% from Scarftran's Fire Blast and slightly more from Scarftios' Draco Meteor (especially if it has -2 SpAtk). All of these can be reflected with a Mirror Coat, establishing a niche for Goth as being a viable counter to Choiced Special Attackers.
Goth is a staple for Magic Room teams. I don't see why would one want to make such a team, though.
Other possible disruptive options for Goth to use are Flash, Captivate, Swagger, and Charm.

If not using Thunder Wave and have a 252/252, put the 4 in Speed. 252 is often the best way to go with Goth, but splitting it is very viable. As with any Pokemon, Goth will max out at least one stat - usually HP. After that it's usually one of the Specials.

In Doubles/Triples, Goth's Shadow Tag gains even more power, but makes it even more suspectible to being destroyed with its low Speed. This, however, makes it possible for Goth to be a bait doll from its potentially frailer partners. If the opponent opts not to attack Goth, Goth can proceed with Thunder Wave, Trick Room, DualScreens, Safeguard, or possibly even Telekinesis on its own partner.

In LC, Eviolite + Shadow Tag is viable...but Goth suffers even more inferiority awkwardness. It really can't make that much use out of its Abilities.

Last edited:

grantholomew

accually is dolan
And i won't use add shadow tag in any of these movesets since it isn't released yet. but when it is, use it instead of frisk.

The sets are written for any possible set a Pokémon can have, including Dream World abilities that haven't been released yet.

Haru Glory

Rave Master
Bulky Offense

Gothitelle @ Leftovers
Relaxed, Shadow Tag
EVs: 60 HP/196 Def/252 SpA
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt

Zachmac

Bulky Offense

Gothitelle @ Leftovers
Relaxed, Shadow Tag
EVs: 60 HP/196 Def/252 SpA
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
How come it's only 60 HP and 196 defense? I'd just use 252 HP. When you do weird EVs like that, it's best to also give an explanation.

Asbestospoison

Excellent Driver
The sets are written for any possible set a Pokémon can have, including Dream World abilities that haven't been released yet.
There are no overworld sprites for most gen 5 pokemon IIRC, making it unlikely we'll get them before a third game. But it should go w/out saying that when/if they are released, Shadow Tag should be used over frisk. Anyways, their's always DW tiers.

GirlKirbyZombie

Pokemon Rancher
This Might work

I love this pokemon's gothic looks. Because Male Kirlia have a male evolution a gen later, will male Gothorita get one, too? I bet it would look cool!

Anyways, Here's something that could work.

Nature: Bold or Modest
EVS: 252 HP, 63 Sp. Def, & 189 Def or 129 Sp. Def, 252 Sp. Def, & 129 Sp.Att/HP
Item: Light Clay or Lefties
Moves:
Reflect
Calm Mind
Psychic
Hidden Power Fire/thunderbolt/charge beam

It could help Gothitelle last some time. Best teamed up with a good steel counter.

Ishnura

yeah... raising this thing could take a while...
Ability: Shadow Tag (when they release shadow tag gothitelle)/frisk
Nature:Adamant(+sp attack/- attack)/Brave(+attack/- speed)
Moves: Psychic/Psyshock
Dark Pulse
Calm Mind/Rock Slide/Brick Break/Toxic
Brick Break/Toxic/Calm Mind/Rock Slide
Don't ask. the main moves to point out are Dark Pulse, Rock Slide, and Brick Break. Dark Pulse will eliminate some fear from Ghost pokemon like Gengar, Rock Slide will cover some bug types, while Brick Break will cover dark types. really though, dark pulse is a need. the two others are more so fillers for one who doesn't like the support moves.

floatzel98

→ s o a r i n g
It has base 55 attack so never use brick break or any physical moves on it. Use HP fighting instead of brick break

Rayofquazar

For me gothitelle is a good pokemon although I never used one and I don't like it very much! Still the pokemon is very capable and has decent varieties of sets available to it.

Shadow tag is scary... Sadly it's not available yet. Frisk is not that scary but has it's uses can be sometimes very handy and ruin an opponent's plan.

the sets are:
Toxi-gimmick gothic
Gothitelle@leftovers
Ability: Frisk/Shadow tag
nature: Modest or Timid (if you want more speed)
EVs: 252 Sp ATT/ 252 Sp DEF/ 4 DEF or HP
Moveset:
-Charm/Reflect
-Toxic
-Psychic/Psyshock
-Hidden power (Fight)
This set makes you mega bulky... The EVs focus on your Sp DEF meaning that you'll take special hits pretty easily. Cover your physical side with reflect that will double your defense or with Charm that will cut the opponent's attack by half. Toxic will bring down tanks that are not steels and might be played as a toxishuffler of some sort with charm.
Psychic is standard best psychic type attack but psyshock can hit something defensively frail much harder. Hidden power fight is for opposing steels that you don't have any other way to deal with them!

Straight forward attacking gothic
Gothitelle@leftovers
Same as above
Evs: 252 Sp ATT / 252 HP / 4 SPD
Moveset:
-Calm mind
-Psychic/Psyshock
-Shadow ball
-Hidden power (fight)
Pretty simple... Boost then attack. For this set I'd go for psyshock instead of psychic so I can hit on the physical side of an opponent's pokemon with at least one move.

Gothitelle has plenty of other moves like Taunt, Thunder wave, thunderbolt, Energy ball, Dark pulse, Trick room, Heal block, Magic room, Light screen, Miracle eye and Mirror coat.
-Taunt is taunt no explaining to do... Makes supporter pokemon useless.
-Thunder wave and trick room are two forms os dealing with your mediocre speed.
-Energy ball, Dark pulse and thunderbolt are other decent special moves but not much of a cover.
-Heal block will ruin a tank and speed up toxic damage. Very useful since gothitelle lacks a recovery move.
-Magic room will make the items useless... Ruining an opponent's strategy is always fun.
-Light screen can be added with reflect for team support.
-Miracle eye makes psychic hit dark types... a good option in gimmick sets when you don't have hidden power fight or shadow ball.
-Since gothitelle is bulky is the special area a nice predicted mirror coat will deal a whole lot of damage to your opponent... IN YOUR FACE!

In general it has a nice movepool that can go the sweeping, tanking or supporting route... Not the best pokemon though but pretty good in every way! The main problem of this pokemon is that usually steel types will wall you completely unless you have hidden power (fight) wich will not just score super effective damage but will deal a nice chunk of HP to them seeing it's a special move!

floatzel98

→ s o a r i n g
Even with a base of 70 you won't be hitting to hard. Gothitelle does have pretty good defense as well. I was going to say you could try a eviolite set on gothorita, but it's offense isn't that great and psychic typing is kind lets it down more.

Soperman

The One and Only
There are no overworld sprites for most gen 5 pokemon IIRC, making it unlikely we'll get them before a third game. But it should go w/out saying that when/if they are released, Shadow Tag should be used over frisk. Anyways, their's always DW tiers.
What does having an overworld sprite have anything to do with it getting Shadow Tag?
yeah... raising this thing could take a while...
Ability: Shadow Tag (when they release shadow tag gothitelle)/frisk
Nature:Adamant(+sp attack/- attack)/Brave(+attack/- speed)
Moves: Psychic/Psyshock
Dark Pulse
Calm Mind/Rock Slide/Brick Break/Toxic
Brick Break/Toxic/Calm Mind/Rock Slide
Don't ask. the main moves to point out are Dark Pulse, Rock Slide, and Brick Break. Dark Pulse will eliminate some fear from Ghost pokemon like Gengar, Rock Slide will cover some bug types, while Brick Break will cover dark types. really though, dark pulse is a need. the two others are more so fillers for one who doesn't like the support moves.
Never, ever, EVER give a Special Attacker Adamant or Brave. If you want mixed, go for something that lowers Defense, Speed, or Sp. Def, never one of the stats you need.
Now, with that, there is quite a bit wrong with your set (no offense). First of all, you dont have EVs. Second, with such a low base Attack stat, don;t even bother trying to use it competitively. Teach it Calm Mind and Shadow Ball or HP Fighting, not Brick Break or Rock Slide.

Zachmac

What does having an overworld sprite have anything to do with it getting Shadow Tag?
When you get a pokemon from the DW, they appear in the entry forest as overworld sprites.

Though that doesn't mean it'll never be released.
Even with a base of 70 you won't be hitting to hard. Gothitelle does have pretty good defense as well. I was going to say you could try a eviolite set on gothorita, but it's offense isn't that great and psychic typing is kind lets it down more.
Yeah....she really got the short end of the stick, while her brother was an easy OU. In fact, Gothitelle is utterly outclassed by Reuniclus.

It's a niche pokemon, and it's niche still hasn't been released. If you're going to use it, use it in DW OU.

Last edited:

jireh the provider

Video Game Designer
I hate to burst your bubbles but did you know Ray Rizzo, the pokemon video game world champion used his gothitelle on the final round and won this august 2011 paired with escavalier? wow huh? find that on Ign i guess.

Zachmac

I hate to burst your bubbles but did you know Ray Rizzo, the pokemon video game world champion used his gothitelle on the final round and won this august 2011 paired with escavalier? wow huh? find that on Ign i guess.
Is the VGC2011 even comparable to OU singles?

One is Unova 4vs4 only with two pokemon out at a time, and OU is any generation, 6vs6, only one out on a time.

Gothitelle as of now - complete garbage.
Gothitelle when Shadow Tag is released - easy OU.. maybe even Uber.

wildbiscuit

One Tough Cookie
Gothitelle. I've always liked her design, but I have yet to use her, in-game and competitively.

While Frisk is nice for scouting, Shadow Tag will get her more use. I guess Frisk can be used with Trick or locking choiced Pokemon in a move with Protect, but there are better ways to accomplish that.

If I were to use Gothitelle, I'd probably go with something like this:

Gothitelle @Chesto Berry
Bold
252HP/252Def/4Sp.Atk

Calm Mind
Rest
Psyshock
HP Fighting

Maxed defense, boosts special defense and attack with Calm Mind, when low on health, Rest+Chesto, then starts sweeping. At least that's the theory.

It's not that Goth is too bad in her own right, at least by NU standards. Pretty nice defenses and good special attack. The problem is...why would I ever want to use this thing over Musharna? Or Mesprit? I guess there's Taunt, but that's about it. Heck, even Grumpig and Exeggutor have reasons to be used over this thing as a bulky or offensive Psychic type.

Shadow Tag might actually be Goth's claim to fame. Dream World abilities in mind, Goth is the best offensive user of Shadow Tag that has a shot at staying out of Ubers (ST Chandy doesn't stand a chance). Unfortunately, Shadow Tag Goth isn't even released yet, so there's really not much that Goth can do.

SwiftGrovyle

Official POTW Fact Checker
Great! Gothitelle- combonation of the words 'gothic', and the French word for girl.

A few things to be noted. Although it doesn't get recover, it can be a great tank. As mentioned in the Dugtrio episode, a good trick to try is get another Pokemon to 'death' fodder hp level, then use the move Memento, and then set up your Calm minds like a nut.

Another option is to use it like so many pokes with this move- Trick room. Yeah, boring much, at least now it is.

Other options(you know, the smarter ones...)
Mirror coat. Make this girl have a mink too. How fitting. :)
Tickle is another option. It can cut down foes so that you can use Psyshock better, and/or make it harder to hit you physically. And the word has been spoken:
Physical Gothitelle. Unless you want to use special Escailiver along side it... The point is, don't even think about it. It's useless.(but fun)

And for the first time, I will mention a counter to the lady in black- a pawn. No, I'm serious folks, an evolite Pawniard will do it. Take it from a guy who accomplished it. And really, any dark type can scare the... Thing... Away. Yeah.

Serpentine

Pokemon Breeder
I was so excited about Gothitelle because it was another Pokemon that could use Frisk, but then I learned it couldn't learn Theif or Covet. Kind of a put down... But this does have... very few uses in battle. One use it does have though is, when combined with what Gothitelle was basically made to do, is render items useless.

Insert Item Blocking Name Here
Timid +Spd/-Atk, Bold +Def/-Atk

Leftovers

Embargo
Psychic/Psyshock
Calm Mind
Hidden Power (Fighting)

Embargo prevents the opponent from using their items. Better than Wonder Room in the sense that it doesn't prevent you from using your item, but it's bad since the opponent can just switch out. Psychic and Psyshock are two strong psychic moves. Psyshock is unique since it does damage based on Defense. Calm Mind increases your Sp Atk and your Sp Def. Then Hidden Power (Fighting) covers Dark types which you can't hit with your psychic attacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.