• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #58

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charizard Lizzy

BARRELS!!!
Woooo, Chandelure :D

I haven’t gotten around to using this cool ghost in my team, but I’ve definitely encountered it enough to know how it’s intimidating, even with its generic defenses and less-than-ideal Speed. With base 145 Special Attack, it’s a force to be reckoned with. Once it gets Shadow Tag from the Dream World, it will become even nastier.

Abilities:
Flame Body – If Chandelure is struck by a Physical attack, there is a 30% chance the opponent will be burned. Really the least appealing ability out of them all simply because there are better choices in Chandelure’s roster.

Flash Fire – If you don’t have a Shadow Tag Chandelure, this is the better alternative over Flame Body. Not only are you immune to Fire-type moves, but the first time you are hit by one, your own Fire moves get a 50% increase. This can add to your already massive Special Attack as well as safely switch in to a potential Fire-type opponent without any worries whatsoever.

Shadow Tag – THE ability for Chandelure above all the others. No opponent currently on the field can escape while Chandelure is present (unless they also have Shadow Tag, a Shed Shell, or use U-Turn or Baton Pass). Apparently, even returning Chandelure and replacing it with another Pokémon still keeps Shadow Tag in effect, meaning you can completely decimate your opponent’s team with counters they cannot run from. That’s harsh.

:609:
An attack for any situation
Item: Life Orb
Ability: Shadow Tag/Flash Fire
EVs: 252 Sp. Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Nature: Timid (+ Spd, - Atk)
- Shadow Ball
- Flamethrower/Heat Wave/Fire Blast
- Grass Knot/Solarbeam
- Hidden Power Fighting/Will-o-wisp

Shadow Ball gets Ghost-type STAB. Flamethrower, Heat Wave, and Fire Blast get Fire-type STAB, each with different purposes: Flamethrower for accuracy and standard power, Heat Wave to strike all opponents in multi battles, and Fire Blast for less accuracy but much more power. Grass Knot deals with Chandelure’s Water, Rock, and Ground weaknesses. Solarbeam is much more powerful, but only use it if you have Sunny Day support. Hidden Power Fighting gets rid of its Dark-type weakness. Will-o-wisp has the potential to increase Chandelure’s Defense just a little more by reducing the opponent’s Attack.

Since this set is purely concerned with sweeping, the Life Orb will add even more power to all of Chandelure’s attacks.

:609:
Telekinesis
Item: Life Orb
Ability: Shadow Tag (preferred)/Flash Fire
EVs: 252 Sp. Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Nature: Timid
- Telekinesis
- Inferno
- Hex
- Energy Ball/Toxic

Telekinesis will put all your attacks to 100% on the opponent affected by this move for three turns. This is highly helpful for the powerful Inferno, which has a 100% chance to burn the opponent, but very poor accuracy without the aid of Telekinesis. From there, Hex will double in power because the opponent will have a status condition. Finally, Energy Ball mostly takes care of Water-types that would resist Inferno and end up taking you down. Alternatively, if you encounter another Pokémon that resists being burned (another Fire-type, etc), then Toxic is another option to inflict them with a status and still double the power of Hex.

The biggest problems with Chandelure
Chandelure has a weakness to Stealth Rock, so be careful when switching in.

I feel Chandelure can work decently in double battles, but in almost all the instances I can recall fighting a team with Chandelure in it, the opponent just seems to expect it to work on its own. But it’s that sad base 80 Speed that really hinders it from doing so. It needs even just a little support from the rest of its teammates to truly shine. Most notably, it should have Tailwind support if it ever hopes to have a chance in the Over-Used battle scene as a Special sweeper. Otherwise, any Pokémon with even base 81 Speed has the chance to overthrow poor Chandelure with its lackluster defenses and health.

Vandslaux

Personally, I see no reason to use Modest on Chandelure, unless you're some weird special tank. w/ Modest, the Scarf set can't really outrun much boosted pokemon, as most run a Speed-boosting nature if they're boosting Speed, to outrun fast Scarfers.

Zachmac

Actually, my team has a harder time dealing with Weezing then it does with Chandalure.

Anyway, this thing is deadly in the sun. I just did a couple calcs, and Fire Blast 2HKOs both Latios and max HP latias. Even the standard Blissy is 2HKOed a good chunk of the time. Though it faces tough competition with Heatran, a choice scarf in the sun seems like the best plan to me.
Personally, I see no reason to use Modest on Chandelure, unless you're some weird special tank. w/ Modest, the Scarf set can't really outrun much boosted pokemon, as most run a Speed-boosting nature if they're boosting Speed, to outrun fast Scarfers.
It's not going to outrun too many +1 pokemon or scarfers, even with timid. Though timid could work out, if you're using scarf Chandalure, you're using it for it's sheer power. I think modest could be viable as well.

Last edited:

Soperman

The One and Only
609.gif

Chandelure. Easily one of my favorite pokemon. Coincidentally, I've just started training one in Black!
Anyway, Chandelure is a cannon. Massive base 145 Sp. Atk that can rip through almost anything. Duel STAB with nice Offense, but terrible defensive typing. Unfortunately, it only has Base 80 Speed, so it requires the Choice Scarf to sweep or even just stay alive.
Flame Body: Burns upon physical contact. His other two abilities are a lot better.
Flash Fire: Currently, his best ability. He can take fire attacks to boost his own. Very useful.
Shadow Tag (DW): This ability alone will turn Chandelure into an Uber pokemon. The opponent cannot switch out until you die, he dies, or you switch out. Basically, if there is a pokemon weak to your type, send out Chandelure to either set up or just straight up kill it.

CHAAAAAAAAAAARGE
-Flame Charge
-Shadow Ball
-Flamethrower/Heat Wave
-Energy Ball/Psychic/Hidden Power [Fighting]
Item: Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire/Shadow Tag
EVs and Nature: Timid (+Spd, -Atk)
4 Hp/252 Sp. Atk/252 Spd
I know what you're thinking: Flame Charge? That's a)a physical attack and b) gimmicky. Well you're right. However, I've used this set before. Switch in on a Fire attack (if you have Flash Fire) or on Skarmory or Ferrothorn (with Shadow Tag) and use Flame Charge. Then, with your Speed now at a nice 400, sweep. Yeah, 400 Speed after one Flame Charge, and you still have 389 Sp. Atk. Go time. Shadow Ball is STAB. Flamethrower is also STAB, but Heat Wave if you want to try for the egg move/want more power. The last attack is up to you; Energy Ball for Ground and Water types (specifically Gastrodon and Swampert); Psychic for bulky Fighting types like Conklederp; Hidden Power [Fighting] for Dark types. Air Balloon so you can survive at least one Ground Attack, possibly setting up on it.

Look at my lovely Scarf!
-Flamethrower
-Shadow Ball
-Energy Ball
-Psychic/Hidden Power [Fighting]
Item: Choice Scarf
EVs and Nature: Timid
4 Hp/252 Sp. Atk/252 Spd
Choice Scarf set. Same as last set, but you don't set up.

A bulky set is viable as well, with Substitute and Calm Mind.

Double and Triple Options
Weak to Rock Slide, Earthquake, and Surf. It knows Heat Wave. It can't really help set up or cripple anybody, soo... No.

Partners
Chandy loves the sun. Turns his already powerful Fire STAB unimaginably strong, and makes Water types do only neutral damage to him. I wouldn't suggest it, but Trick Room is an option. You want to take out Dark types, especially Bisharp, so Fighting types are good. Virizion is actually a pretty good partner for Chandelure.

Countering :609:
Bisharp, with STAB super-effective Sucker Punch, murders Chandelure. Bulky Water types wall Chandelure and deal damage in return. Tyranitar is Chandelure's worst nightmare, unless he runs Hidden Power [Fighting]

ParaChomp

be your own guru
I highly recommend mentioning that Shadow Tag might be its bane to Ubers.

I highly recommend mentioning that Shadow Tag might be its bane to Ubers.

Yeah, as soon as Shadow Tag is released, I have a feeling that Chandelure will be the easiest ban from OU that we've had all throughout 5th Gen.

As for now, Chandy is actually pretty good in UU right now, and his OU performance isn't too bad. With Flash Fire, it has 3 immunities (4 with an Air Balloon, lol), which gives it a lot of opportunities to come in on something and get to work. I'd say that the Specs and Scarf sets (which have already been posted, I believe) are easily the best sets right now. The SubCM set might be much more effective when Shadow Tag is released, but for now I've just not had too much success with it.

Kiyoshi

Veteran Trainer
Chandelure, a decent 5th Gen Pokemon. Very good Special Attack, decent (but not great) Speed, and surprisingly good defenses for a Special Sweeper. Now, for movesets...everyone's already posted a Sweeper set, but I see a bit of potential for a Physical Wall here. Okay, scratch that, potential for a Physical-except-for-ever-common-Earthquake-and-Stone-Edge-wall here. Still a possibility (certainly more gimmick than mainstream), and could save your frailer Pokemon.

I steal your muscles and your soul!
~Will-o-wisp
~Hex
~Flamethrower/Fire Blast/Heat Wave
~Night Shade/Energy Ball/Toxic/Pain Split/Memento
Item: Leftovers/Air Balloon
EVs and Nature: 252 Defense/252 HP/4 Special Attack
Bold (+ Defense, - Attack)
Ability: Shadow Tag

Fairly self-explanitory here. Switch into a Pokemon that relies on Physical attacks and isn't guaranteed to know or use right away a Rock or Ground type attack (Skarmory, Conkeldurr, etc.) and use Will-o-wisp for your opening move. The accuracy's not that great, but it's more reliable than Inferno (Will-o-wisp could be dropped for Inferno if you have a Doubles/Triples partner who can use Telekinesis, but stick to Singles with this set). With Shadow Tag in effect (the whole moveset falls apart without it, don't use until available via Dream World), your opponent cannot retreat, so they're stuck with a Burn that not only cuts away their Attack, it also deals damage over time. Hex is your primary STAB attack on this set. You know the drill by now, it doubles in power when the target has a status. That's insane damage considering how few Physical sweepers have a resistance to Ghost attacks. It also is great against Gliscor, who seems to have developed a taste for self-inflicted Poison this generation. The Fire attack is for STAB and decent power; Flamethrower is reliable, Fire Blast is stronger but much less reliable, Heat Wave is the compromise. All three can inflict a Burn, which is nice if Will-o-wisp keeps missing when you need it to hit. Overheat, is suicidal; this is a set designed to stay in for an extended period until your opponent's primary Physical Sweeper (or Attack-only user) faints, and Overheat's Special Attack lowering side effect just isn't worth it. The final moveslot is mostly filler, but still useful. Night Shade is the Ghost type answer to Seismic Toss: a solid 100 points of damage every time...that surprisingly got almost no attention last generation. Handy if your opponent pulls a Special Defense-boosting surprise on you. Energy Ball covers it's biggest Physical fears (Ground, Rock, and some Water Pokemon), and could devastate the likes of Swampert and Carracosta should the situation arise. Toxic is another status you can inflict. Because of it's fast-working nature (compared to Burn's low over-time damage), it works better with Overheat, making that Special Attack drop less annoying. It also stops any Physical Sweepers who won't be bothered by a Burn (Guts Heracross and Flash Fire Arcanine, for example). Pain Split is recovery. Recover would've been better for this set, but it's not an option. Memento is set-up; once you've Burned and Hexed your opponent out of their Physical Sweeper(s) or are too weak to Wall anything, go out and take your opponent's offensive capability with you.
EVs need no explanation; Max HP and Max Defense boost your survival while your Special Attack is good enough at it's base (145, yikes!) that you shouldn't need more than the leftovers. Speaking of, Leftovers is the item you have to use with this set; even with Pain Split, you'll need the recovery more than any offensive boost. After reading the above post, however, I see that Air Balloon makes a viable alternative; who knows, you might be able to kill off a Choice-Chomp with this set if you don't mind sacrificing healing potential for an extra immunity.

Partners:
If it would be killed by a strong Physical attack, use with this Chandelure set.

Counters:
Other than the aforementioned Earthquake and Stone Edge, there are other ways to destroy this set. Guts users ought to be your first line of offense, with Ratticate and Luxray being preferred; the former is immune to Hex while the other is all but guaranteed to carry Crunch. Dark and Ghost type attacks, being Super Effective, are going to sting no matter if they're Physical or Special. Though, given this set's purpose, stick with Special unless you can get in a strong hit or two before being Burned (Weavile is a good example, despite a Fire weakness). Anything with a Choice Item (Scarf, Specs, Band) is rather iffy; if you suspect that this Chandelure is coming out, you might kill it, or find yourself out-foxxed. (example 1: You and your opponent are using a Lucario. You suspect that your opponent is going to switch so you use Crunch. If you predicted right, then Chandelure is going to be in serious trouble right away, assuming it survived. If you predicted wrong, then you just gave your opponent's Lucario a Justified boost. example 2: Again, same starting Pokemon as previous example. Only, you use Aura Sphere expecting a Super Effective hit. If Chandelure is sent out, you've not only wasted a turn, but now you're trapped AND locked into using a move that has no effect.) Despite how much I dislike it's drawback, a Life Orb equipped Pokemon is going to do better than a Choice-Anything equipped one. Also, Normal types, especially if they run Special sets; even with your Fire attack, they'll happily use you for set-up bait unless you run Toxic.

Again, this set is more gimmick than practical, but it could work.

Last edited:

Vandslaux

Yeah, as soon as Shadow Tag is released, I have a feeling that Chandelure will be the easiest ban from OU that we've had all throughout 5th Gen.

As for now, Chandy is actually pretty good in UU right now, and his OU performance isn't too bad. With Flash Fire, it has 3 immunities (4 with an Air Balloon, lol), which gives it a lot of opportunities to come in on something and get to work. I'd say that the Specs and Scarf sets (which have already been posted, I believe) are easily the best sets right now. The SubCM set might be much more effective when Shadow Tag is released, but for now I've just not had too much success with it.

Round 1 was easy bans too, as well. At least, I'm pretty sure Round 1 was Skymin/Darkrai/Manaphy

Meowmeow

selfproclaimed guru
Chandelure is a very iconic Pokemon for me personally. It's the first Ghost-type that I use.
Chandelure's charm as an offensive beast comes more from being a Fire-type than Ghost. Having a base 145 special attack pumping out damage with STAB boosted Overheat and Fire Blast is absolutely terrifying. And that's just scratching the surface. Flash Fire gives and immunity to fire and a boost to Chandelure's dreaded STAB fire attacks. Through in some sunlight for more destruction. And I haven't even touched hold items yet.
Now, let's talk stats. Obviously, that special attack stands out. Its other stats fall short. 90 defense and special defense is not bad, but it doesn't help a small 60 HP and average 80 speed.
Movepool, Chandelure has a few charms. In addition to its STAB Fire Blast, Overheat, and Shadow Ball, Chandelure has Psychic and Energy Ball for added coverage, the latter being more useful. Its other moves include Flame Charge, Calm Mind, Pain Split, Haze, and Clear Smog.
Looking at the metagame, its a mixed bag for Chandelure. Fighting-types are usually carrying dark or rock attacks, Earthquake is everywhere, so is Surf. Top threats to Chandelure's existence include Terrakion, Tyranitar, Scrafty, Politoed, and Heatran. On the plus side, Ferrothorn and Scizor are easily taken out by Chandelure, and make great teammates for Chandelure at the same time.

The Nuke
Nature: Modest
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 sp attack and speed, 4 hp
@: Choice Specs/Life Orb

Overheat
Fire Blast/Flamethrower
Shadow Ball
Energy Ball

Very little can survive Chandelure's Specs-boosted Overheat. Fire Blast is a solid consistent option if you want to keep Chandelure in for a while. Flamethrower is more reliable, but the power drop is significant. Besides, this set is all about pumping big blasts of damage in one strike.

A bit more reliable
@: Choice Scarf

Overheat/Flamethrower
Fire Blast/Flamethrower
Shadow Ball
Energy Ball

This set acts more like a revenge killer than a wall...nuker. It's used a bit differently, but requires a bit more prediction since you might not always be blasting such big holes in your enemies.

Time for a boost!
Nature: Modest/Timid
@: Life Orb

Calm Mind
Fire Blast/Flamethrower
Shadow Ball
Energy Ball

Rather than being locked into a Choice move, Chandelure can go for stat boosts through Calm Mind for a power increase. I personally don't favor this option since switching in a fire-type is tricky (stealth rock). Switch into a choice-locked fire attack and Calm Mind. From there, break everything you see.

Time for another boost!

Fire Blast
Flame Charge
Shadow Ball
Energy Ball

This set aims to patch up that average speed for an attempt to sweep. Otherwise, it works on the same principle as the Calm Mind set. Just remember that Fire Blast is a must for Chandelur's job. Flamethrower will have even less power than before (although a Flash Fire boost will correct that issue).

Wallbreaking Sweep!

Calm Mind
Fire Blast
Shadow Ball/Energy Ball
Flame Charge

Terrakion has proven double boosting can work. Chandelure can pull it off as well, but it's really tough. Energy Ball can replace Shadow Ball if coverage is important, but it will be tough. Shadow Tag makes pulling this off much easier since switching into a choice-locked foe will make double-boosting simple.
Now, once you do pull off the double boost, then the game is pretty much yours for the taking.

It should be noted that Chandelure does great in double battles with Victini's Searing Shot nearby. Chandelure also has Heat Wave.

Countering Chandelure? Houndoom is the best choice. It resists all of Chandelure's coverage moves and Shadow Ball, as well as having immunity to fire from Flash Fire. The above examples work well too. The standard special walls Chansey and Blissey do the job since Chandelure lacks Focus Blast.

GirlKirbyZombie

Pokemon Rancher
Defensive?

Chandelure (or lampent + evolite) might have an advantage of being defensive. This set might work.

"I'm a light that lasts forever"
Nature: Calm
EVs: 252 HP, 192 Sp. Def, and 63 Def.
Ability: Any will do, but Shadow tag is preferable.
Moves:
Acid Armor
Calm mind
Toxic/Will-o-whisp
Flamethrower/Heat wave/Hex

If you want to surprise your foe with something different, a defensive Chandelure is right for you. A duel screener is a must here.

Other moves to be considered:

Clear Smog: With more pokemon that depend on stats, this move will wreck plans.

Haze: Same as clear smog, but it eliminates all stat changes. Best to be used in doubles and triples.

Pain Split: On a fast Chandelure, you can easily use this to take down defensive foes.

Memento: If you have an arena trapper or simply a defensive partner, you can use this to help the switch in.

Flame burst: Allows you to damage surrounding pokemon. It wrecks sashes and sturdy.

Furret Master

Champion Seeker
Overview:

Chandelure is a pretty sweet Pokemon that I like, and if I hadn't been running Victini in White, I would have used it on my White story team. It has the highest Sp. Attack of all non-legendaries, and its typing is pretty good with 2 immunities (3 if it runs Flash Fire), and it has two great abilities (although the best ability is not available as of now). It's movepool also can give it great coverage. However, its typing also brings it 5 weakness, including a weakness to Stealth Rock. Also, while its defenses are about average, its HP is a sad base 60, not to mention that its Speed is only about average. Overall, Chandelure is a great Pokemon that can trash Pokemon that aren't ready to deal with it.

Abilities:

Flash Fire: Gives Chandelure's Fire-type moves an 1.5x boost whenever Chandelure is hit with a Fire-type move. This is a great ability that can really give Chandelure an edge if you can time a switch just right. Plus, it acts as a pseduo-immunity.

Flame Body: The opponent has a 30% chance of getting "Burned" status whenever Chandelure is hit by a direct-contact move. This ability has its uses, but Chandelure is not sturdy enough to put this ability to the best use. Plus, its other abilities are just better.

Shadow Tag: Wow, this ability is just great. The opposing Pokemon can't switch out normally as long as Chandelure is on the field. This can be great for a set where Chandelure can switch into something that can't touch it and set itself up. Unfortunately, this ability is not released yet, but when it comes out, it will definitely be on a lot of the sets.

Movesets:
Choice Set
-Overheat
-Shadow Ball
-Energy Ball
-Hidden Power [Fighting]
Item: Choice Scarf/ Choice Specs
Ability: Shadow Tag/ Flash Fire
EVs: 4HP/ 252 Sp. Attack/ 252 Speed

This set makes Chandelure very scary because it uses that excellent Sp. Attack and just wails on the opponent's team. Overheat is a incredibly powerful STAB with the drawback of lowering Chandelure's Sp. Attack by 2 stages. Since this is a Choice-set, however, Chandelure will be switching quite a bit anyway and the stat-drop won't mean much. Shadow Ball is another good STAB. Energy Ball is great because it covers three of Chandelure's weaknesses (Water, Rock, and Ground). Since Chandelure doesn't get get Focus Blast, HP [Fighting] helps round out its coverage, and it works out well.
Shadow Tag is great to trap Pokemon that can't do much to Chandelure, but since it's not out yet, Flash Fire has to do. Choice Scarf makes Chandelure's average Speed less average, while the Choice Specs makes Chandelure hit like nobody's business. Take your pick.

Defensive:
-Flamethrower
-Hidden Power [Fighting]/ Shadow Ball
-Calm Mind
-Substitute
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Shadow Tag/ Flash Fire
Nature: Bold
EVs: 248 HP/ 252 Defense/ 8 Speed

This set is more about setting up Chandelure against something that can't take it on. Flamethrower is a solid move that is also STAB. HP Fighting is to add some coverage, while Shadow Ball is STAB. Calm Mind boosts Chandelure's Sp. Attack and Sp. Defense by one stage, making it more defensive and giving Chandelure a good offensive boost. Substitute allows Chandelure to set up Calm Mind and gives it a bit of a buffer.

Other Options:
-Chandelure can try to run a set with Will-o-Wisp and Hex. However, this isn't the most reliable set to run. The initial power seems to work better.
-Chandelure can run an Air Balloon to give it a temporary immunity to Ground-type moves. The other items can work better, but a temporary fourth immunity is pretty cool.

Counters:
Countering something that has a base 145 Sp. Attack...Hm. Well, Chansey and Blissey have great Sp. Defense, which can help them. However, neither of them have too many options as to taking down Chandelure outside of Toxic, which is hard to do if Chandelure runs Substitute. Pokemon like Porygon2 and Snorlax also work, and they tend to work better since they can hit back and their abilities help them stand up to Chandelure. A Pokemon that is fast enough to use a super-effective hit would work great, such as Aerodactyl. If the team is not running Rapid Spin support (don't know why they wouldn't) entry hazards, especially Stealth Rock, work great. Overall, Chandelure is a Pokemon that can be very difficult to take hits from and take down.

SwiftGrovyle

Official POTW Fact Checker
Ok, Chandelure. I agree with Missingno. Master. Although this is nice, either way.

Ability notice!
Flame body is a bad option. Very bad. Although it can be nice, not for our bunch of candles. Most moves involved are normal and fighting. Unless you hate scrappy for your life, don't.
Flash fire is much better and gives a good boost too. With sun, even better. Although it does cause a lot of switching, so you might wanna get rid of the stealth rocks on your side of the field.
Shadow tag is a lovely weapon in itself. Although most people here will probably take the courtesy of telling you why, but I'll add too it- add a walling, burning set. Watch the foe struggle. And burn. And writhe.

Shadow tag= Hell. Literally.
I'll be back with more to say later in the week.

Also, couple of side thoughts-
I am sorry that you didn't get your poke, MissingNo. Master.

Can we do Jynx soon? I made a weird set with a rap. A RAP.

zerofield

i miss miror
people, shadow tag is unreleased, stop posting sets with it -_-

anyway, i have to say that Sub chandy and Scarf chandy are easily the best sets. Scarf chandelure combines the highest special attack outside of ubers with the respectable speed buff the scarf provides. My personal preference is Sub chandelure, however, as the scarf is predictable and despite chandy's great coverage, it can only use one at a time. If only it got volt switch.

Anyway, sub chandy is a great pokemon. It can use its great typing to come in on a multitude of attacks, even absorbing fire moves with flash fire. If chandy comes in on a pokemon such as scizor or skarmory, they are forced to switch and allow chandelure to put up a substitute. If chandy packs shadow ball/flamethrower/hp fighting, virtually nothing can come in and break its sub without taking a huge chunk of damage. Blissey, the prevalent special tank, can do nothing to chandelure due to an immunity to seismic toss and substitute blocking status such as toxic and thunder wave. If chandelure happen to outspeed whatever they brought in, It can score a KO and maintain the sub. Chandy also works as a powerful sun counter. It walls threats such as venusaur and volcarona with ease, unless the latter carries hidden power ground, and it can even score a KO from behind a substitute. If you have a hazard such as stealth rock up, it can even defeat dugtrio from behind a substitute. Though sub chandelure is extremely powerful against sun, it can be used against virtually any kind of team, putting huge holes in sand and nonweather as well.

PhoenixShad0w13

Sword Master
I run two different sets.

Forget me not!
EVs: 252 Sp Att, 252 Speed, 4 Hp
Moveset:
- Fire Blast
- Energy Ball
- Shadow Ball
- Toxic

Fire blast for power, Shadow ball for secondary STAB. Energy ball for pesky Water/Grounds, and Toxic for dishing damage in case Chandelure might go down. Effective, but not ideal.

BLASTER

EVs: 252 Sp Att, 252 Speed, 4 Hp
Moveset:
- Fire Blast
- Energy Ball
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power (Ice)

This hits for all terms of coverage. Difference from above is the HP, and which it nails down some Dragons. Very effective.

Tips, and Tricks

Air Balloon: I run that to allow entry on Ground type moves, while removing that. While the opponent has to spend a turn to break the Balloon, it grants Chandelure a chance to 2HKO some mons.

4x weak to Fire teammates (Scizor, anyone?): These make great baits. Send them out, switch to Chandy, and get a Fire boost, making Fire Blast even more deadly. Did I forget to mention Ferrothorn should get mention, covering most of Chandelure's weaknesses?

floatzel98

→ s o a r i n g
Yay, a decent pokemon! Chandy is pretty good. It's problem would be it's speed. Really lets it down. Pretty fixable if you use a scarf set, or flame charge which can really help it boosts it speed whilst not restricting it to one move. Insane Special Attack. Can also set up trick room and has use of pretty good support moves.

PhilosophicalPsychologica

Why you hatin' on Weezing, bro?

From how I'm getting used to, ST Chandle's been Uberized. It can abuse it much more with 145 Special Attack compared to Goth's scrawny...

Chandelure's defensive Abilities are actually not so bad, but if you take into account its weaknesses and its lack of a defensive movepool, do not expect it to be walling stuff.

The most obvious set that comes to mind is Scarf to patch up that less-than-desirable Speed. Such a set uses Shadow Ball, Hidden Fight Power, Energy Ball, and Fire Blast/Overheat. If you want Specs...that's fine too.
Psychic doesn't really offer much coverage, especially considering a Fire Blast will strike most Fighting Pokemon just as hard. Hex is plausible with Specs and Paralysis spam.

Calm Mind is possible, especially with Substitute and ESPECIALLY with Shadow Tag, but you have to remember Chandelure's weaknesses are diverse and it is easily outsped. Acid Armour is an option, but you have to consider if it's really worth a moveslot.

Defensive Chandelure is really not bad; I've tried that set out some times before. I've used Pain Split, Will-o-Wisp, Clear Smog, Taunt, etc., but...meh. Chandelure just isn't very well-geared this way.

Memento is a very interesting option, again, best with Shadow Tag. You could even combine this with Trick Room.

Chandelure can kill some Conkledurr sets by just using Imprison + Payback, but this requires Shadow Tag and is situational otherwise.

Curse is a possible option, but you need Shadow Tag, Pain Split, and usually Substitute to make it worth anything. And if you can really pull off Curse on someone...why not just charge up Calm Mind instead? Curse helps break Baton Pass teams, though.
Flame Charge is also a very strong option. In early Gen V, I used various sets of Chandle. One was Calm Mind, Flame Charge, Shadow Ball, Substitute. Another involved Substitute, Pain Split, Flamethrower, Minimize.

In Ubers, where Chandle is not denied Shadow Tag, you can especially play around with Groudon's Drought. Even in the Rain, a good Overheat can completely demolish a Ferrothorn or Forretress. Overheat can be used to eradicate Groudon itself. Shadow Ball can also strike Psychic-Types, but don't expect a OHKO. I personally use Scarf Chandle in Ubers.

Litwick, with Trick Room, can be a monster with its Overheat.
Lampent, I don't really recommend with Eviolite, but rather to use its Shadow Tag when Chandle itself is banned. Otherwise, you can perhaps use both Lampent and Chandelure, with Lampent as a Memento user!

In Doubles, Chandle has Heat Wave. Stealth Rock is not as prelevant in Doubles, but beware EQ and Surf and Rock Slide and Water Spout weakness...

Last edited:

pikadon92

Raiden Maximus
Litwick @ Choice Specs / Life Orb
Quiet Nature
EV:
Moves:
-Overheat / Fire Blast
-Shadow Ball
-Hidden Power Ground
-Energy Ball

Because repeating another chandelure set is not cool.

Anyways this is an ideal set for litwick. Just give it trick room support, and watch it BURN!!!!

As a revenge killer, you may want to maximize your power with specs, though if you want to freely choose your move, life orb is an options, since litwick itself will most likely be revenge-killed.

Flash Fire is the best ability as with up to 3 abilities, litwick and switch into more mons. Shadow Tag's another option once it's released, guaranteeing a revenge kill.

The moves are pretty straigntforward. The first two are STABing purposes. Choose either overheat for fire blast depending on your item choice. HP Ground against fire, especially flash fires. Energy Ball comes in whenever you predict your foe switching.

Now, excuse me while I go and learn more on LC and calucalate its Evs spread.

[ADDED] In the EV. spread, you'll want to maximize Sp.Att for pain. 240 will do here (with 17 as maximum). You'll want to ignore speed so that it'll be the fastest in tick room. So, for the remaining EV, put them onto HP next. At least litwick can endure move better this way. For this case 196 will max its HP out (at 24). The remaining EVs are useless, though. It can only boosts the useless attack and speed stats here. This leaves its overall bulk as 24/12/12 in stats.

You may also want to sacrifise HP EVs for Defence instead. With 36 HP/ 160 Def in EVs, you'll get 22/14/12. Not likely worth it, though.

As another option, you can give litwick itself trick room. Set up once, and it'll wreck havock. But I don't think litwick can afford to set up on its first turn, maybe unless your foe wants to switch out.

Last edited:

Kraleck

Countering Chandelure
Anything with better-than-average Speed, access to EQ, Stone Edge/Rock Slide, Surf, Waterfall, Dark Pulse, Crunch, Shadow Ball, and/or Earth Power, and enough of the corresponding attack stat to use it will wreck Chand's chances of survival:
-Sharpedo, while underwhelming in comparison, has two Super-Effective STABs, Base 120 Attack, and Base 95 Speed.
-Kingdra quad-resists Fire, has better Speed, and can use either Surf or Waterfall to break you, especially with Rain support.
-Excadrill has better Speed and a huge Attack stat to EQ Chand' into submission.
-Krookodile, like Sharpedo, has 2 Super-Effective STABs, great Attack, and superior Speed, but also has access to 3 Super-Effective Types (third being Rock).
-Houndoom resists both of your STABs, carries STAB Dark Pulse, and has great Sp.Atk to use it.
-Haxorus resists Fire, has better Speed, great Attack, and access to EQ and Rock Slide/Stone Edge.
-Hydreigon is like Houndoom, but also has access to Surf.
-Salamence has tons of Move access and power.
-Flygon may give you some issue.
-Garchomp. 'Nuff said.
-Zoroark has better Speed, STAB Dark Pulse/Night Daze, and great Sp.Atk to use it.
-Mismagius has superior Speed, good Sp.Atk, and STAB Shadow Ball.
-Gengar: See Mismagius. Change "good" to "great."
-Cinccino, while underwhelming, has Technician Rock Blast, good Attack, and superior Speed.
-Floatzel is like Kingdra, except normal-resists Fire and Physical-based.
-Starmie has better Speed, Surf access, and good Sp.Atk.
-Alakazam: See Gengar. Remove "STAB" before Shadow Ball.
-Dugtrio can trap you back, has superior Speed, and STAB EQ.
-Weavile, while weak to Fire, has superior Speed, great Attack, and STAB Night Slash, plus Pressure can help its team out if it carries Protect.
-Aerodactyl: See Haxorus. Add "STAB" before Rock Slide/Stone Edge.
-Accelgor has great potential with Hidden Power (Water), commonly has Rain support, good Sp.Atk, and superior Speed.

Aside from having Shadow Tag potential and a huge Sp.Atk stat, how is Chandelure Uber-material? Tell me, please. Below-average HP and average Speed do not an Uber make, especially if it is weak to Stealth Rock. One potential Chandelure counter can also counter Wobbuffet and Garchomp if used right, and it's called Weavile.

Ilan

Countering Chandelure
Anything with better-than-average Speed, access to EQ, Stone Edge/Rock Slide, Surf, Waterfall, Dark Pulse, Crunch, Shadow Ball, and/or Earth Power, and enough of the corresponding attack stat to use it will wreck Chand's chances of survival:
-Sharpedo, while underwhelming in comparison, has two Super-Effective STABs, Base 120 Attack, and Base 95 Speed.
-Kingdra quad-resists Fire, has better Speed, and can use either Surf or Waterfall to break you, especially with Rain support.
-Excadrill has better Speed and a huge Attack stat to EQ Chand' into submission.
-Krookodile, like Sharpedo, has 2 Super-Effective STABs, great Attack, and superior Speed, but also has access to 3 Super-Effective Types (third being Rock).
-Houndoom resists both of your STABs, carries STAB Dark Pulse, and has great Sp.Atk to use it.
-Haxorus resists Fire, has better Speed, great Attack, and access to EQ and Rock Slide/Stone Edge.
-Hydreigon is like Houndoom, but also has access to Surf.
-Salamence has tons of Move access and power.
-Flygon may give you some issue.
-Garchomp. 'Nuff said.
-Zoroark has better Speed, STAB Dark Pulse/Night Daze, and great Sp.Atk to use it.
-Mismagius has superior Speed, good Sp.Atk, and STAB Shadow Ball.
-Gengar: See Mismagius. Change "good" to "great."
-Cinccino, while underwhelming, has Technician Rock Blast, good Attack, and superior Speed.
-Floatzel is like Kingdra, except normal-resists Fire and Physical-based.
-Starmie has better Speed, Surf access, and good Sp.Atk.
-Alakazam: See Gengar. Remove "STAB" before Shadow Ball.
-Dugtrio can trap you back, has superior Speed, and STAB EQ.
-Weavile, while weak to Fire, has superior Speed, great Attack, and STAB Night Slash, plus Pressure can help its team out if it carries Protect.
-Aerodactyl: See Haxorus. Add "STAB" before Rock Slide/Stone Edge.
-Accelgor has great potential with Hidden Power (Water), commonly has Rain support, good Sp.Atk, and superior Speed.

Aside from having Shadow Tag potential and a huge Sp.Atk stat, how is Chandelure Uber-material? Tell me, please. Below-average HP and average Speed do not an Uber make, especially if it is weak to Stealth Rock. One potential Chandelure counter can also counter Wobbuffet and Garchomp if used right, and it's called Weavile.

Those are revenge killers.. chandelure can easily switch into ferrothorn/scizor/choiced fighting/normal/fire moves use flame charge/calm mind and subtitute... and then what can switch into it? my answer is absolutly nothing..

none of the mokemons you noted are actually checks they might be a revenge killer but no counter.. and 90 defenses with 60HP isn't something to laugh about it is decent enough to survive an SE move sometimes...

OH-OH is also weak to SR your point is? weavile is awful as a chandeulure counter.. it switch's into a fire blast and there isn't a weavile...

sharpedo dies to energy ball
excadrill dies to fire blast and is uber anyway
kingdra still takes damage from shadow ball but it might counter
krookodile-fire blast KO

and exc.. houndoom is a good counter though but thwe rest you are just assuming they switched in safely and most people... don't keep chandelure on revenge killers.

Status
Not open for further replies.