• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #58

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atratus

Antimatter Trainer
We can probably add Snorlax to the list as well. With Thick Fat it resists both Fire Blast and Shadow Ball, and is bulky enough to take everything else too.

Kraleck

We can probably add Snorlax to the list as well. With Thick Fat it resists both Fire Blast and Shadow Ball, and is bulky enough to take everything else too.

Ahh, yes...Normal Types with good or better Sp.Def can hassle Chand' quite nicely. Snorlax, Blissey, and Chans-Eviolite can either Wall-and-Stall (Chansey/Blissey) or Wall-and-Wallop (Snorlax) Chand' in long-term tactics. Togekiss also boasts a resistance to Energy Ball, so it has a decent switch-in (short of a good prediction to use a Fire Move).

Miltank has 3 Abilities that can screw Chand' over if played right (Scrappy allows it to use STAB, Thick Fat halves Fire, and Sap Sipper converts Energy Ball to an Attack buff). The problem, though, is that its Sp.Def is below average, so you only have 1 chance to make Miltank count against Chandelure.

Certain Pokemon with a naturally high Sp.Def will also check, though not necessarily counter, Chandelure:
-Non-Drought Ninetales can soak up a Fire Move or Energy Ball
-Wash and Heat Rotom naturally resist Fire (Wash is riskier, but can use Hydro Pump)
-Gyarados is neutral to both Energy Ball and Shadow Ball while resisting Fire
-Dragonite ties your Speed and is bulky to boot
-Drizzle-toed can shut down your Fire games, but loses to your Speed and Energy Ball (though it has done its job by merely entering)

Pokemon with Focus Sash + Mirror Coat will be deadly to Chandelure, especially if they can outrun the next Pokemon and avoid damage (either from Stealth Rock or Chand') first. Electrode, Lopunny, Tentacruel, and Serperior are the most viable candidates for this, though not for fighting much else if they're used in this fashion.

Atratus

Antimatter Trainer
Milotic with Mirror Coat (like mine) can KO Chandelure after taking an Energy Ball. Taunt should be an option for Chandelure to mess up guys like Blissey, Chansey and Milotic.

I wouldn't count on Togekiss too much with Chandelure. It probably won't outspeed and doesn't have a move that can hurt Chandelure that much. I don't make calculations, but I strongly doubt Togekiss can take more than a couple of Fire Blasts.

MetalCrow

Porygon-2 should be added to that list of counters against Flash Fire Chandi... It's immune to both Fire and Ghost via Trace...also, it's bulky enough to take anything else Chandi tries to use...maybe except for HP Fighting, but I'm not so sure

floatzel98

→ s o a r i n g
Yeah, trace is a really good ability on Pory. Helps it if it switches in on Dragonites and stuff. I would say with an Eviolite Pory would be able to bulk a HP fighting.

DiamondSeedII

Flame Charge

Chandelure (M) @ Focus Sash/Life Orb
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)/Modest Nature (+SAtt -Atk)
- Flame Charge
- Flamethrower/Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball/Hidden Power(ground)

I don't think many people will use this set, but it has helped me a lot. I recommend using this under the sun. With timid, using Flame Charge will bring you're speed up to 388. Fire Blast, Flamethrower, and Shadow Ball are you're STAB. Energy ball can help you with water-types that think they can wall you, but Hidden Power ground can also let you OHKO Heatran. (As long as the balloon is popped.) Finally, you can use a life orb to hit harder, but focus sash would probably help you more, since Chandelure already has a ton of Sp.Att.

Last edited:

jireh the provider

Video Game Designer
Review: Chandelure, the luring pokemon of death. It says that it burns the souls of humans and pokemon using its flames as it lures their victims in a hypnotic trance. As it wraps its victims with is flames, it burns their spirits to crisp without even burning the body itself. Very scary thought + a candidate for Halloween and creepypasta. Once you met chandy on the E4 member shauntal, get ready for the hard bite of your life (esecially, If your the serpent queen). Online battle, that thing is a terror. With a 145 SP attack, I think it gives gengar, the original ghost killer of kanto a run for his money. She is the Candle Jack skelington of pokemon in my POV.

SP.Atk. Gengar stat pardox: If timber is Unova's Machop, then Chandelure is Unova's Gengar.
Ev. Go for 252 speed and Sp, Atk.
Items: Expert belt / life orb
Shadow Ball
Flamethrower/fire Blast
Energy Ball
Psychic

Anti YuYu Hakusho chandelier
Items: Leftovers (weird that chandy should've crisped it in 1 touch)
Evs: 126 Defense, 126 SP. def. , 252 HP / focus on one def. stat and HP
Will o wisp / Calm mind / Pain Split / toxic
Substitute
Flamethrower/ fire Blast
Shadow Ball / trick room

Never get this Chandelure set on Raging fire

Items: Life orb / Leftovers
Evs: Sp attack and Speed of 252
Flame charge
Flamethrower
Shadow ball
Psychic / Energy Ball / HP fighting

How's the review I shared?

BugZ

Look Left------>
Yay!! Chandelure!! Chandelure has been one of my favorite new Pokemon ever since they were announced and shown, along with Scrafty, Mienshao, and Conkeldurr. I got a pretty good set with him that I have had success with.

SubCM
Chandelure @ Leftovers
Flash Fire
Bold
252 HP 100 Def 156 Sp. Atk
-Substitute
-Calm Mind
-Shadow Ball
-Hidden Power Fighting

Alright, the EV spread may look weird but, you can change it around any way you want to your desire, I just like this one. So you basically use this as any other SubCM set and try to put dents in the enemy team with your Special Attack that's higher than any non-Uber. Shadow Ball is your main attacking move that is reliable and powerful enough to do significant damage. Hidden Power Fighting gets perfect coverage with Shadow Ball and allows you to hit everything with neutral damage and take out Tyranitar and Heatran.

tatter

Veteran 10+ yrs
This set is useful for double battles and I used it for the last tournament to stop trick room set-ups and such.
Doubles Support
Ability: Flame Body
Nature: Modest
Ev's: 252 HP, 252 SpA, 4 Def
Item:Ghost Gem/ Leftovers/ Lum Berry/ Fire Gem
-Imprison
-Shadow Ball/ Flamethrower/ Fire Blast
-Protect
-Trick Room

This worked out great in doubles whenever the opposite team would try to set up trick room. Taunt is now cured by lum berry so stopping the opposite team with imprison is great. This also prevents them from using protect and shadow ball seeing as most trick roomers are ghost or psychics that run shadow ball and protects you from super effective damage. Flame body is there for more defensive routes seeing how you'll be going in as a lead chances are you won't get hit with a fire move. plus if your running shadow ball you won't have any fire moves.

pikadon92

Raiden Maximus
^Given chandelure will only have one special attack, overheat is another option besides shadow ball and the other 2 moves.

tatter

Veteran 10+ yrs
^that could work but i found it that keeping the other team from setting up trick room was a priority. switching out would mean that have a chance of setting up again. the drop from overheat would be a step back because of it being the only special attack available. with fire blast you can still maintain a high level of offence should you want something with more power than shadow ball/ flamethrower.

Rayofquazar

Chandelure, the one stat wonder pokemon! Chandelure stat distribution makes it a superb special attacker. It's other stats are not so crazy. 60 HP and 90 defenses are not bad but means that you need to play it carefully cz it will not take too much hits espicially from a faster opponent and running on an 80 speed means that there is a lot of those faster pokemon... Despite all this, that one stat, the special attack makes it one of the deadliest pokemon out there... No one could stand a stabbed attack from this ghost even the bulkiest ones.
Having abilities like flash fire and flame body are good, makes it simultaneously more deadly or somewhat more bulky... But having shadow tag as a hidden ability makes it crazy, scary and detrimental... No one will be able to take it easily once this ability is released.
As no one ever mentioned it yet but a trick room supported shuckle with power split can be a decent counter! It's 145 Sp ATT stat will become 78 and with all those defences and leftovers enables it to take the new attacks with ease and toxic it to death! Also sandstorm helps shuckle too.
Anyway... lets not think about a counter for this thing... It's so amazing.
Sets:
Really any set work (Special set of course). Give it a speed boosting item. A Sp ATT boosting nature or speed boosting nature. EVs on HP, SPeed and the remains in sp ATT. (No need to raise it's Sp ATT further more... You'd rather work on speed and bulkiness). As moveset you can use any special attack: Flamethrower, Fire blast, Overheat, Shadow ball for stab, Energy ball, psychic, Hidden power fight for coverage. Heat wave could also be used. For support it has plenty of options notably Clear smog, Taunt, embargo, imprison, Haze, endure, Substitute... You can boost with calm mind, recover with pain split espicially against chansey or blissey ruining them. Hex can be used with will-o-wisp, solarbeam on sunny days sets. Finally, Night shade can be also used against high level opponents... but this won't factor in your amazing sp ATT making this option pretty meh!
Trick room is also meh... cz this pokemon has 80 speed so it's not slow enough to use it properly... but you can also use a speed dropping nature I guess.
Flame charge is good to increase your speed but it's physical... I won't use it myself cz I prefer increasing the speed by other means.

just thought i would say that hydergion is an almost perfect counter to chandy, resisting all common moves, except maybe hidden power ice.

WillieNelson

This is just a random set that came out of my head, and I'm not sure if it's any good or not:

Chandelure @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire/Flame Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Flamethrower/Fire Blast
- Hex/Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp/Pain Split
- Calm Mind

This is an attempt at a bulky Chandelure set. Calm Mind boosts your SpDef and SpAtk, if you like accuracy and more PP, use Flamethrower, if not, Fire Blast. Hex is best with Will-O-Wisp but Shadow Ball is more reliable. Will-O-Wisp is to increase your physical bulk and do passive damage, but Pain Split is recovery, use Flame Body with Pain Split, no smart opponent is going to throw a fire move on him anyway.

Again, this set just popped into my head right now, it might suck in practice for all I know.

Del Mundo

Ghost Fan
So could you at least mention how much more awesome chandelure could be with shadow tag? It probably would change it from uu to ou/uber. When will it exist!?!?!?

pikadon92

Raiden Maximus
Shadow tag lampent is more awesome. Because that's the next best thing you'll use in OU or lower tiers, depending on whether chandelure's in ubers or BL.

Ferrothorn86

Chandelure is pretty amazing: awesome sprite, even more awesome special attack, acceptable defenses, middle area speed, and decent HP.
Now for movesets:
Choice Sweeper
Item: Choice Scarf/Choice Specs
EVs: Special Attack: 252, Speed: 252, HP: 4
Ability: Flash Fire/Shadow Tag/Flame Body
Moves: Heat Wave/Flamethrower/Fire Blast/Overheat
Shadow Ball
Energy Ball/Solarbeam
Psychic/Hidden Power Ice/Hidden Power Fighting
Since this is a choice set, you want a high enough speed to hit many opponents first and a high special attack to eliminate opponents quickly. The HP stat is to let you live a little bit longer. Pick a fire-type move for STAB, this choice is really about power vs. reliability. Heat Wave is slightly more powerful than Flamethrower and can destroy opponents in double and triple battles, however it is less reliable with only 90 accuracy and only has a 10% chance at burning. Fire Blast is more powerful, but much less reliable with 85 accuracy. Flamethrower is powerful and still has 100 accuracy. Overheat is perfect for a choice set because the goal is to switch in, eliminate a threat quickly and get out. Staying in after using Overheat is not really an option, though, so use at your own risk. Shadow Ball is amazing: gets STAB, hits Ghosts and Psychics, all in all a good move. Energy Ball removes the turn for charging when it isn't sunny but go for solarbeam all the way on a sun team. Both moves hit major type threats: water, ground, and rock. The fourth move is all about coverage. Psychic leaves Flash Fire Heatran, Hydreigon, and Houndoom capable of resisting all your moves, but hits everything else at least neutrally. Hidden Power Ice hits dragons and Gliscor. Hidden Power Fighting hits darks.
As for the ability, Flash Fire gives three immunities (normal, fighting, and fire) allowing you to switch in very easily and gives your fire type move a boost if anyone hits you with a fire type move. Flame Body can cripple physical attackers by burning them, which is quite nice. Shadow Tag prevents your opponent from escaping.
As a side note, the decreased attack from adamant nature will keep you alive if the opponent uses Foul Play.

Other Options: Wise Glasses/Quick Claw
Wise Glasses works the same as the choice set, but you can change moves to suit the situation, allowing Chandelure to function even if the opponent changes. Basically eliminate the item, add Wise Glasses, and FORGET ABOUT OVERHEAT. On this set, Overheat will prove to be a VERY poor choice.
Quick Claw works like the other sets, but EVs should be eliminated from speed as you will rely on Quick Claw to act first. Take those EVs, dedicate them to HP so you live longer, and throw the other four into Defense or Special Defense. Once again: on this set Overheat == bad idea.

SwiftGrovyle

Official POTW Fact Checker
Other options
Pain split is good as a recovery option, if you wanna run bulky Chandelure.
Trick room as this guy is a good utilizer for that if made lowering speed natured.
Hex is fun to try, especially if you are running Toxic spikes, or Will o' wisp. Interesting combo, as you can reach 120 ghost bp.
Heat wave is a good option if you wanna run him in the doubles. And
Purgatory is Hell...Oops, I mean Inferno is good try if you wanna take a spin on gravity teams. Gimmicky, but hey, Chandy would be good for that due to Immunities. That's what you want on a gravity team more than the moves- the Immunities.

Double and triple battle
Ok, think about it. It may be weak to earthquake and surf, but here's the thing- with shadow tag, you can utilize him as a trap. Set up a perish song, use U-turn or volt switch or just switch out, but leave him last. You just took down a good fraction of the opponent's team. Yikes! Not to mention that you can utilize other combos such as Explosion, and flash fire-lava plume-burn. He's also resistant to Blizzard and the occasional Icy wind. Pain split can even out team member's Hp.

Like I said before- Can we do Jynx next? I have a Rap based on a hilarious set I have. It's funny, but it does involve a little cursing.

what i would use
Rather Chandy in a fight (I know, it wasnt very punny)
Item: life orb/leftovers
EVs: Special Attack: 252, Speed: 252, HP: 4
Ability: Flash Fire
Moves: Substitute
Shadow Ball
flame charge/taunt/hidden power ice
flamethrower/fire blast

the aim of this set is to come in on something defensive, then sub up. taunt is to cripple blissey send ins (seismic toss, go on and hit him) where as flame charge can let you sweep. hidden power ice adds nice coverage. to round the set of, some nice dual stabs. life orb is for flame charge and hp ice vairaiants, but watch out because stealth rock and spikes will knock your hp down fast, and with a sub, life orb will kill you. leftovers is for the tuant variant to sad some lovely recovery, so you cna come in, and heal up about 25% (1 sub or rocks) before you leave if it goes
ome in heal, defensive send in, heal, taunt, heal, they swap out, heal and thats 4. 4 lefties is another sub, or another stealth rock hit.

jireh the provider

Video Game Designer
How about we include litwick for the Little cup.

The baby candle that can KILL!
-Shadow ball
-Flamethrower
-Pain split
-Will o wisp

Pretty much, litwick will be able to use any of chandy's moves. Plays it roles just okay for little cup.

But of course some water types or ground to watch out, a wide lensed Deino and fellow dragons like dratini with Aqua tail and the like.

Status
Not open for further replies.