• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #59

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Right, back to the RNG after last week's switchoff

407.png

This week, we're covering Roserade. The Pokémon whose base-form was introduced in the same generation as it, but the middle form in the generation before

It's a fairly decent Grass-type Pokémon and receives a decent Hidden Ability so the possibilities are bigger

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/407.shtml

Go nuts

Diaglio

Roserade @ Choice Scarf
Poison Point
Timid/Modest
252 Speed, 252 Sp Attack, 4 Hp
- Energy Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Shadow Ball
- Extrasensory

Shouldn't need too much explaining.

Lucario At Service

Calm Trainer
Here is a set With its DW ability,

Roserade

Ability: Technician
Nature: Modest / Timid
Hold Item: ???
Ev's: 4 HP / 252 S.Atk / 252 Spd

- Growth / Synthesis
- Weather Ball
- Magical Leaf
- Shadow Ball / Extrasensory / Hidden Power [Ice / Rock]

This set needs "Sunny Day" support to some extent (though this can work without it).

Because of "Technician", Weather Ball would have a BP of 75 when weather isn't in effect (or else it would be get 100 BP).

Magical Leaf would be never misses and its BP would raise to 90 (without applying STAB) because of Technician.

Growth would boost the S.Atk (as well as Atk.) by 2 stages under the sun, and in normal condition 1 stage. Where as Synthesis provides a good recovery under the sun.

Shadow Ball or Extrasensory or Hidden Power [Ice/Rock] can be used for coverage. In case of Hidden Power, it would be better to use one which get 60 BP of power (not more than that) on it so that it can take advantage of Technician and get to 90 BP.

Last edited:

grantholomew

accually is dolan
407.gif

Sleep Spikes
Roserade @ Leftovers/Focus Sash
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spd
Timid (+Spd, -Atk)
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb/Shadow Ball/Hidden Power Rock
- Sleep Powder
- Spikes/Toxic Spikes
Roserade’s pretty decent. It can put other Pokémon to sleep and then set up its spikes. Giga Drain and Sludge Bomb are STAB, while Shadow Ball and Hidden Power Rock are for coverage/taking out Roserade’s weaknesses. Sleep Powder hopefully won’t miss. Spikes or Toxic Spikes, depending on your preference.

Last edited:

Doomsdaytreecko

War Of The Roses
Name: Roserade
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 DEF/ 252 SPATK/ 252 SPDEF
Moveset:
Toxic Spikes/ Toxic/ Spikes
Giga Drain
Leech Seed
Substitute
Nature: Calm (+SPDEF, -ATK)

The typical Sub Seeder with a bit of a twist. Most people would choose a Whimsicott over Roserade for a Sub Seed Job but there's usually something one pokémon can bring to the fray that the other couldn't. Substitute sets up the main def here followed by our classic Leech Seed. Afterwards use the Entry Hazard or Toxic. Giga Drain will aid you in your recovery process if nessicary or if you were taunted.

Ilan

One of the most used pokemons in UU and one of the best toxic spiker in the game, but that's not all rosrade can do it got 125 sp.attack with 90 speed pretty good for UU in OU 90 speed is MEH better use scarf in OU if you want it to attack but it's place is in UU in my opinion.
it doesn't have very good defensive stats its' defense is awful its' HP also... the sp.defense saves it a little with nice base 105 but with that HP.. don't think it can wall something..

Most people say that poison typing is awful I say it is a blessingit resist fighting but is only neutral to ground.. what's bad on it?

abilities:
natural cure: being a special attcker burn doesn't matter, being a poison type poison doesn't matter only paralyze, sleep and the rare freeze cripple Roserade best none DW ability though work good with rest.

poison point: normal poison.. don't worth it.. natural cure is much better.

Technican: the famous scizor ability! but what it can use? magical leaf is decent f you don't like leaf storm's side effect or you feel giga drain is too weak but MEH.. but it works with hidden power just make sure it is weaker .. and you get a stronger Hidden power it isn't relased yet but when it do if you don't want natural care use this one.

this time I have no idea what set to give.. I am not that sure I guess a 252/252 sp.attack/speed sets are the most usable ones due to lackluster HP and defense.

Lucario At Service

Calm Trainer
Here is a different set for it,

Nature: Adamant / Jolly
Hold Item: Life Orb
Ev's: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd

- Swords Dance
- Razor Leaf
- Pin Missile / Return
- Leech Seed

Even though it has low Attack Base Stats (70), it is still usable with the help of Swords Dance.

Because of Technician, Razor Leaf's power increases to 82 (without applying STAB) with a chance to make critical hits.

Pin Missile gets the Technician boost (because of which it gets a minimum BP of 42 and maximum BP of 105), but low accuracy of it can create problems. Return is a substitute which can be used instead of it.

Life Orb would give it the necessary boost in power and with Leech Seed it would work good.

Edit: It would be good if the Roserade line gets "Bullet Seed" as a DW move because with Technician it would have a minimum BP of 74 and maximum BP of 185

Last edited:

Monster Guy

Fairy type Trainer
407.gif

Sleep Spikes
Roserade @ Leftovers/Focus Sash
Timid (+Spd, -Atk)
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb/Shadow Ball/Hidden Power Rock
- Sleep Powder
- Spikes/Toxic Spikes
Roserade’s pretty decent. It can put other Pokémon to sleep and then set up its spikes. Giga Drain and Sludge Bomb are STAB, while Shadow Ball and Hidden Power Rock are for coverage/taking out Roserade’s weaknesses. Sleep Powder hopefully won’t miss. Spikes or Toxic Spikes, depending on your preference.

Ironically, my claim for Roserade became official today. :D My favorite Poison type.

Unfortunately, the set I use has already been posted.

I Sleep Powder something, then use Toxic Spikes. Usually, I can get two up.

I did the Chandelure POTW.. is it any good?

Also I'm not sure if I'm doing the Roserade POTW but regardless don't forget NU sets for Roselia and LC sets for whatever its baby form is called.

EmeraldGoblin

Rehab, no. Dead.

Also I'm not sure if I'm doing the Roserade POTW but regardless don't forget NU sets for Roselia and LC sets for whatever its baby form is called.

Roselia is RU.. and i think you are referring to Budew

geoy789

Thorny Rose
Roserade @ Life orb
Timid/Modest
- Leaf Storm/Energy Ball/Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder
- Synthesis/Hidden Power Fire/Rock

Generic offensive set. Takes advantage of Roserade's good base 125 SAtk and solid 90 Spd. Timid nature for speed, Modest for more offensive power.
Leaf Storm hits hard, but drops SAtk. Energy Ball is more reliable and has a chance to drop the opponent's SDef, and Giga Drain can heal Life Orb damage, for a price of % less base power.
Sludge Bomb is a secondary STAB, and Sleep Powder is just helpful
The last move is up to preference. HP Fire hits steels, HP Rock covers flying and ice types, and Synthesis is a solid healing move

Sala-imence

Rock type trainer
Roserade

I love Roserade

Item: Metronome
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Moveset:
- Petal Dance
- Sludge Bomb
- Shadow Ball
- Weather Ball

PETAL DANCE: With metronome powering it up each time, it become devastating. Then its best to switch to heal the confusion and any other status problens thanks to Natural Cure.

SLUDGE BOMB: Powerful STAB move.

SHADOW BALL: Extra type coverage.

WEATHER BALL: If there is any weather about, Roserade can make use of it.

BugZ

Look Left------>
With the highest Special Atrack of any Grass type (I think) I've always liked Roserade. I carried him through Soul Silver with me. Well, this is the only set I've seen him run.

Roserade @ Black Sludge
Timid
Poison Point
64 HP 252 Sp Atk 196 Spe
-Toxic Spikes
-Venoshock
-Giga Drain
-Weather Ball
This set basically sets up Toxic Spikes, and when they try to switch, you through off STAB Venoshocks that will OHKO if not resisted. This is to be used under the sun and can be used with Technician to power up Weather Ball, but Poison Point is recommended for the chance of poison to power up Venoshock. Giga Drain is to recover health be able to through off more STAB Venoshocks.

ClefairyRox

Nintendo Fan
Roserade is a favorite Pokemon of my sister, for understandable reasons. It has good stats in the right places, an okay typing, a good movepool, and a cool design. It sadly lacks that "oomph" factor needed to bump it up to OU, but in UU it can really shine.

Recommended tier: UU

Poison Point is a pretty good ability in-game, but it's pretty useless competitively. A Pokemon that unleashes an attack that makes direct contact with Roserade has a 30% chance of being poisoned. Since regular poison can't compare to burn or Toxic poison, this is pretty unfavorable.
Natural Cure is one of the best abilities in the game. Any status afflictions on Roserade are healed upon switching out. This is especially favorable against Sleep and Paralysis, which sweepers hate.
Technician is Roserade's Hidden Ability. It multiplies the power of any move that has a power of base 60 or less (prior to STAB and possibly other effects) by 50%. Sadly, Roserade only has a couple of moves that benefit from this ability, but at least its not completely worthless.

Roserade's stats definitely put it in the category of Special Sweeper. It's a lot faster than most other Grass types(unless Chlorophyll comes into effect), and its base 125 Sp. Attack is the highest of any Grass type. Its Sp. Defense is also good at base 105, but base 60 HP and base 55 Defense means being defensive is out of the question.

Roserade's movepool possesses a good mix of offensive and support moves. Leaf Storm is the most prominent of its STAB attacks, with a whopping base 140 power. Of course, that nasty Sp. Attack drop is unfavorable, but Roserade usually doesn't outright sweep anyways. Petal Dance is another option, acting like a special Grass type Outrage thanks to the big power boost it got in the generation shift. Energy Ball and Giga Drain are weaker, but lack the nasty side-effects. Magical Leaf can be substituted on a Technician Roserade, as it gets 90 base power prior to STAB with the boost. Sludge Bomb is another STAB option, but its poor coverage makes it unfavorable. Shadow Ball, Extrasensory, and Weather Ball are decent fillers. Most Roserade will also want Hidden Power Ice or Hidden Power Fire for coverage.

Roserade's Attack is decent at base 70 and can be improved with Swords Dance. Unfortunately, Roserade's physical movepool basically consists of Seed Bomb, Poison Jab, and Return, which is a shame. Pin Missile is an option with Technician, but its still weak.

Roserade is a very effective user of Sleep Powder thanks to its good speed. It is tied with Venomoth as the second-fastest user of the move (with Jumpluff being fastest). It can also employ the "double powder" strategy with Sleep Powder and Stun Spore. Roserade can set up Spikes and Toxic Spikes as well, but keep in mind that its frail and Spikes is illegal with Sleep Powder. It also gets Aromatherapy, but its too frail to use the move. Synthesis is in the same bucket. Worry Seed has its uses, and can sometimes force a switch. Roserade can employ the SubSeed strategy as well, although it can't do as well as Sceptile, Whimsicott, or Jumpluff due to its inferior Speed.

Countering Roserade: Most Roserade have Sleep Powder, and many counters can be shut down by it. One option is to sacrifice a Pokemon and activate the Sleep Clause before whaling on Roserade. Steel types generally do well, provided Roserade lacks HP Fire. Chandelure (who we ironically did last week) is one of the best counters, but it too is shut down by Sleep Powder.
Physical attacks are effective, as Roserade has poor Defense. And although Roserade is quite fast, it can still be outrun by a lot of Pokemon and revenge-killed. Priority moves are also effective.

The most dangerous thing about Roserade is its ability to put Pokemon to Sleep. Even so, this flowering plant packs a lot of power. Roserade's Leaf Storm is the strongest one out there; it'll hurt A LOT. This is one rose you shouldn't stop to smell.

Last edited:

Kraleck

Some interesting stuff for Roserade. Can't use either default Ability too well due to its Physical fragility for Poison Point and how it ignores Poison and Burn's Attack cut for Natural Cure. However, it doesn't get much more from the 3rd nor 4th Gen Tutors and TMs, so Technician is almost-always a superior choice.

As for Technician, you get a respectable pool of 60-and-under Moves for Special usage. Weather Ball has some good coverage with the right partners, Magical Leaf is best used outside a Sun Team, and Hidden Power is always fun. It's a pity that Venoshock has Base 65 Power, because it could easily outdo Sludge Bomb with Toxic helping out.

Unfortunately, the Budew-line has no access to their DW Ability at this time. I think they could get it in the next "update" for the DW (most likely added to Pleasant Forest or Rugged Mountain).

For now, pseudo-protection from Sleep, Paralysis, and the-random-Freeze-from-a-Move-that-should've-but-didn't-KO-you is the best thing it has for an Ability. Poison Point will only happen once, if you're lucky, because of Roserade's poor Defense and sub-average HP.

Roserade also has the Spikes-Leech Seed and Toxic-Leech Seed combos, making it capable of being an Annoyer/Spiker and Special Attacker simultaneously. Base 90 Speed gives you some pretty good, but imperfect odds of setting up one of these annoyances, too.

I like the Special Wall capacity with 105 Sp.Def, but the 60 HP is going to help you out once, maybe twice with that, and only if your opponent has an above-average or lower Sp.Atk.

Psycho Soul

Psycho Trainer
I think Roserade can works with Drought.

Item: Life Orb - Leftover
Nature: Hasty
EVs: 252 Spd / 100 Atk / 156 S.A

- Growth
- Solar Beam \ Giga Drain
- Pin Missile
- Weather Ball

Growth boost your ATK and S.A two stage in sunshine. Solar Beam is STAP which can deal a huge damage , but Giga Drain recover your HP. Weather Ball will be a fire move in sunshine. Pin Missile can deal a good damage with Growth and Technician

Standard lead. erade.
Roserade @ Focus Sash
Timid (+Spd, -Atk)
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power Fire
- Sleep Powder
- Toxic Spikes
not much explanation. sleep powder first move, then tspikes unless you think you can kill. outspeed defensive mons and potentially do damage.

Sleep Spikes
Roserade @ Life orb/focus sash
Timid (+Spd, -Atk)
- Giga Drain
- Weather Ball
- Shadow Ball/ Hidden Power Ice/Dround
- Growth
does well with sun support. good sweeper. depends on team covarage for final move to hit ghost/dragons/heatrans and chandelures.

Ilan

Yes it was pretty good, really liked the triple memento idea seems epic you just need a choiced pokemon or a wall to do it but you also need both flame charge and calm mind if you wanna sweep the entire team.

ok came up with a gimmiky OU set:
@Choice scarf
252 speed, 252 sp.attack
technican
modest
-Giga drain/Magic Leaf
-Weather ball
-Hidden Power ground (60 BP)
-Sludge Bomb

the best choice scarf set I could think of. used good on every weather except rain

technican is abused with HP ground (to hit heatran hard) if not HP ground can be used with 70 BP and natural cure.. the rest is obvious

Alaka-zam

Sweeperade
Roserade @ Life Orb
Natural Cure
Evs: 252 Speed, 252 SpAt, 4 Hp
Nature: Timid (+Speed,- Attack)
Sludge Bomb/Growth
Extrasensory/Shadow ball
Energy Ball
Hp Ice
Growth to boost, energy ball for a strong STAB, Extrasensory or Shadow ball for good coverage, hp ice to take down flying and dragons, sludge bomb for a strong STAB against another grass type

Last edited:
No one has posted a regular Spiker set yet?

Spikes
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Def., 4 Sp.Def.
-Spikes
-Giga Drain/Solar Beam
-Sludge Bomb/Extrasensory/Weather Ball
-Rest/Synthesis

This set is fairly self-explanatory. You set up your Spikes and go from there. Gia Drain is your primary STAB, and it also restores HP, which is very nice on a bulky set like this. Sludge Bomb is a secondary STAB option, but doesn't provide very good coverage, so Extrasensory can help with coverage if you feel, say, you want to hit fighting types harder. Rest restores you to full HP and thanks to natural cure, upon switching out you will lose your sleeping condition. The last three moves can be replaced if you wish to utilize Roserade on a Sun Team. Solar Beam is a more powerful STAB option with the same accuracy, but it doesn't restore Roserade's HP and will require a turn of charge if the weather is changed. Weather Ball becomes a 100 BP Fire type move in the sun, which does allow Roserade to hit pokemon such as steels much harder when you factor in the fact that Sun boosts Fire type moves. This can also be utilized on a rain team, except it becomes Water type instead, allowing you to hit Fire types harder, mainly, but it does have similar coverage to Grass. Synthesis can be used if you wish to keep Roserade in after recovering, but it doesn't heal Roserade to full even in the sun, and in rain it only heals 1/3 of her HP, a less than satisfactory amount.

Status
Not open for further replies.