1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Community POTW #6

Discussion in 'POTW Collaboration' started by Reno, Feb 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reno

Reno so adorable...

[​IMG]

yeah, it's that mother beast garchomp. banned from 4th gen pre-platinum, it hasn't had a good OU run in... ages!

one of the best pokemon in the game, unique speed tier, great... everything. go wild. garchomp is cool.

2. garchompkid

garchompkid Well-Known Member

use garchomp@leftovers with:

sword dance
    dragon claw
    fire fang
    earthquake

to get good coverage
    nature to power up speed or attack

3. bugcatchersdream

bugcatchersdream is not a moron

A good partner is Virizion.

Vzon and Chomp cover each other quite well, actually.
    Fighting moves kill Ices and Leaf Blade gets rid of grasses that learn Ice moves.
    Just watch out for Sap Sipper Azumarills.
    Waiting for Slaking here...

4. Monochromatic

Monochromatic A.k.a: Nemo

SD-Chomp

Garchomp@Life Orb?
    Adamant/Sand Veil

~Swords Dance
    ~Earthquake
    ~Dual Chop/Dragon Claw
    ~Stone Edge/Fire Fang

Boost with Swords Dance. EQ for STAB and good coverage. Dragon Claw/Dual chop are Dragon-Type STABs. The rest depend on what other types of coverage you need. Stone Edge for an EdgeQuake combo, Fire Fang for Ferrothorn and other steels.

Crunch or Brick Break can also be used.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  5. Missingno. Master

Missingno. Master Poison-type Trainer

Garchomp@Yache Berry
    Jolly nature
    252 Atk/252 Spd/4 HP
    ~Hone Claws
    ~Stone Edge
    ~Earthquake
    ~Dragon Rush/Outrage/Dual Chop

Garchomp is among the many Pokemon to gain access to Hone Claws. It may seem like an inferior Swords Dance, but anyone who's had a Stone Edge miss at exactly the wrong moment would probably disagree with that. The Accuracy boost will do wonders for Stone Edge, not to mention the STAB Dragon Rush. Outrage is insane on Garchomp, true enough, but Dragon Rush doesn't lock you into the move, nor does it confuse you at the end. Dual Chop is optional if you live in fear of enemy Substitutes, but overall, Dragon Rush is the better option. The Yache Berry is to provide Garchomp with a better chance of surviving an oncoming Ice Beam or something, allowing it to set up.

Off topic, I'm kinda peeved that none of the previous POTWs so far have used any of my ideas. Especially the Work Up mixed sweeping Machamp, that was genius.

Anyway, as far as ability goes, I suppose it's your call. Rough Skin makes foes think twice about using physical contact moves (illegal with Outrage, however), while Sand Veil is as useful as ever on Sandstorm teams.

Unlike some of its fellow dragons, Garchomp lacks access to Dragon Dance. Of course, this could be a good thing, as that thing has high enough Attack and Speed as it is.

And please tell me the next one's not gonna be ANOTHER pseudo-legendary.

6. garchompkid

garchompkid Well-Known Member

any pokemon that can start a sandstorm is a good partner if running sand stream

7. rukarion

rukarion lucario trainer

Garchomp

My basic garchomp sweeper
    moves

OUTRAGE
    EARTHQUAKE
    CRUNCH
    IRON TAIL/BRICK BREAK/FIRE FANG/double team
    item: rowap berry, focus sash,
    nature: adamant/jolly
    max attack,speed,HP

good partners
    TYRANITAR (sand stream) + EXCADRILL

How to take down
    use timid starmie with ice beam!!!

8. Monochromatic

Monochromatic A.k.a: Nemo

Just saying...

Double Team is banned, isn't it?
    And there was no need for Caps >.<

9. #TWERKTEAM

#TWERKTEAM Banned

Garchomp@Choice Scarf
    Nature: Jolly
    Ability: Sand Veil
    EVs: 252 Att/252 Spe/ 6 HP
    Moves:
    - Outrage
    - Earthquake
    - Dragon Claw
    - Fire Blast

His speed is bad this gen for sweeping so a Scarf set is his best option. Outrage to clean up late game and Dragon Claw early game so you aren't locked into Outrage and become set up bait, Fire Blast for Forrethorn and Skarmory and EQ for STAB and coverage against things like Heatran and Excadrill.

10. adl222

adl222 Well-Known Member

I think Garchomp should be a power hitter

Garchomp-Adamant
    -Earthquake
    -Stone Edge/Rock Slide
    -Fire Fang
    -Dragon Claw

11. Aerodact

Aerodact Member

Counter to Other Garchomps

I've always found this set very useful at countering other Garchomps and setting yourself up to sweep the rest of the team.

Garchomp @ Focus Sash
    Ability: Rough Skin / Sand Veil
    Nature: Jolly
    - Dragon Claw
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge
    - Swords Dance
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP

So, you're facing another Garchomp which has perhaps even used a Swords Dance and is wrecking your team to pieces? This is the perfect counter, my friend. The key is for it to be faster! When sent out, your higher speed will allow you to get in a Swords Dance before the foe will wipe you out... or bring you down to 1 HP thanks to Focus Sash. From there, you can get a OHKO with a reliable Dragon Claw and focus on the rest of the opposition's team with a very powerful dragon. One problem with this team is the fear of High-Speed Priority moves like Quick Attack, but if you're using him in the Battle Subway, where only 3 pokemon are allowed for entry, the foe team is likely to lack a very fast move. This set obviously works well at countering other sweepers who are having a similar effect on this pokemon's teammates. EVs are plain simple and boring ;) but it is a necessity to get Garchomp's speed to the max possible!

As for counters... Cryogonal is faster and one Ice Beam will probably exterminate Garchomp. Weavile is the obvious Ice-type which can OHKO Garchomp with Ice Punch.

Partners... Hmm.. Machamp's No Guard could make your Garchomp deadly and if it's fast, it can protect Machamp with Crunch and Stone Edge as well as doing fierce damage with Dragon Rush whilst Machamp can use Dynamic Punch and Bullet Punch to fend off Ice Types which pose a threat to Garchomp. But I find Machamp goes well with everything... You basically need something which can avoid earthquake by sharing the type of flying or having levitate!

12. smayer

smayer masters apprentice

my garchomp now would have to have
    dragon tail
    crunch
    brick break
    iron head

nature and evs to speed

item:choice scarf

dragon tail to attack and phaze anything and everything. crunch and brick break cover every type for netral damage at least. and iron head takes out ice types if you get fast enough to hit before them.

13. jespoke

jespoke Nintendo Stalker

I don't see anything but Swords Dance- and Choice sets on Garchomp

Garchomp
    @Leftovers/Choice Band/Choice Scarf
    Rough Skin/ Sand Veil
    Swords Dance/Stone Edge
    Earthquace
    Dragon Claw/Outrage
    Fire Fang
    Jolly/Admadant
    252 Atk/ 252 Spd/ 4 Hp

Short explanation:
    Only use Sand Veil in a sand team. Otherwise use Rough Skin
    Swords Dance in a swords set, or Stone Edge for covering.
    Earthquace is awesome an gets STAB
    Dragon STAB. Dragon Claw is reliable, but Outrage got more power.
    Fire Fang for Ferrothorn, Forretress and, in the swords set, Ice types.

14. Reno

Reno so adorable...

okay, I'll include every single set everyone posts.

yeahno.

I can't include every single set. sweeping machamp doesn't work, and mixed sweeping machamp? maybe not.

15. #TWERKTEAM

#TWERKTEAM Banned

Dragon Tail has negative priority which makes the Choice Scarf useless.

16. ASB

ASB Weather Team Hater

Oh joy, the pokémon that killed Flygon, one of my faves. As much as I loathe this thing, it's a very useful tool.

I'll try to make sets that aren't just restatements of the 4th gen sets, as nearly everything I've seen so far is simply a 4th gen set.

[​IMG]

Mence @ Life Orb
    Sand Veil
    Jolly (+Spe, -SpA)
    4 HP/252 ATK/252 SPE
    ~Earthquake
    ~Outrage/Dual Chop/Dragon Tail
    ~Fire Fang/Brick Break
    ~Swords Dance

Pretty much a normal physical sweeper set with a few minor additions. Ground/Dragon STAB moves are unresisted outside of Skarm and Levitating Bronzong, but these can be taken down by Fire Fang. Outrage is more powerful than the other moves slashed in with it, but it locks you in for a few turns and then confuses you. Dual Chop breaks subs that Erufuun may try to set up using Mischievous Heart, but it is not all that powerful. Dragon Tail phazes and temporarily gets rid of things that you simply don't think you can take down, but the negative priority hurts. Balloon Heatran would cause Chomp some trouble, so you may opt to use Brick Break, though Skarm (and Bronzong to a degree) would be much more problematic. I guess everything depends on your team.

Other Options: Hone Claws, Stone Edge, Dragon Rush. Using either of the latter two moves without Hone Claws is strongly discouraged, they're rather inaccurate.

Team Options: Ttar and Hippo help for obvious reasons. Opponents will hate your Mence, and they'll hate it even more if they can't hit it on the rare occasion that they outspeed it. OU Steel-Types other than Ferrothorn, Excadrill, and Skarm resist all of this guy's weaknesses (Ice and Dragon), but Heatran is especially great as it resists Ice x0.25, which would hit Chomp for quadruple damage. Empoleon is rarely seen, but it can do the same thing.

Counters: As mentioned above, Skarmory walls him if he isn't carrying Fire Fang, BalloonTran if he doesn't know Brick Break. Not only is Heatran a good compliment to Chomp's weaknesses, he can also take down an enemy Chomp. Sharders, especially Mamoswine, help. Mamoswine can threaten to shard and then EQ the inevitable Heatran switch-in unless it has a Balloon.

17. Epicpip

Epicpip My stache' is better

And so, we come to Garchomp. I wonder if my friend is going to make an apperance?

Anyhow,

Choice-Chomp+T-Tar Partner
    Sand Veil
    Choice Band/Choice Scarf
    -Dragon Rush/Dragon Claw/Dragon Tail
    -Fire Fang
    -Aerial Ace
    -Brick Break
    Adamant, Jolly
    252 Speed, 252 Attack, 4 Hp

This G-chomp works with T-Tar. There's a fighting type? Either Dragon Tail or Aerial Ace. Fire Fang is nice for Ferrothorn. And the dragon move is your choice. If you want power, but less reliability, go for D-rush. Reliability and switch outs is D-tail. And D-claw is for if you don't want either D-tail or D-rush (but I don't see any reason to use it other than that). And Brick Break covers any Blissey that come your way.

Partner this with: T-Tar, Swampert and other Water types, and Machamp.

Hone-Chomp
    Muscle Band
    -Hone Claws
    -Dragon Rush
    -Stone Edge/Earthquake
    -Fire Fang/Giga Impact
    Jolly/Adamant
    EVs: 252 Speed, 252 Attack, 4 Hp

Here, you use Hone Claws to make Dragon Rush really really scary! Bigger attack and accuracy boost makes it a killer. Then, you can choose Stone Edge for the scary thing or Earthquake for STAB. And for the last thing, I'd go with Fire Fang, but that Giga Impact would be very nice... and for the natures you can go for speed (this set has enough attack) or more attack.

Partners: Togekiss and the fliers, T-Tar (but only if no earthquake), and Blissey (again, NO EARTHQUAKE).

Counters: Blissey walls special sets, especially with that Ice Beam. Empoleon works well on the non-Earthquake or Brick Break sets. Manaphy just will wall any Garchomps who think they're so cool and are Ubers. And then there's Frosslass. Speedy things with Ice moves and the immunity to Brick Break AND Earthquake. And, of course, Flygon. Ice Punch or a Dragon Claw, Flygon is overlooked for Garchomp, but it can beat them.

18. shinymanmick

shinymanmick Too Good For Words

make latias pokemon of the week! its so cute but unbeliveably powerful at the same time! :)

19. windsong

windsong WEST SIDE

Garchomp@Brightpowder
    Jolly | Sand Veil
    252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP

- Swords Dance
    - Substitute
    - Dragon Claw (CHOMP MODE)
    - Earthquake

This Garchomp is capable of massively pissing people off as shown by eternal's use of it in the spl, where he single handedly haxed out panamaxis (iirc) with it. Continuing, it annoys the **** out of people and is best paired with SubTWave Jirachi for added fun.

Also, Togekiss makes a good partner, as does Wobbufett.

ALSO THE FACT THAT PEOPLE ARE ACTUALLY SUGGESTING GIGA IMPACT MAKES ME SAD... ;_;

edit: and sd sets don't need outrage, since you already KO most important stuff with +2 DClaw, and being locked into Outrage is just asking for a steel to come in and kill you

edit2: and you should still mostly run jolly because being outsped by gliscor, base 100s, and other garchomp sucks

20. Epicpip

Epicpip My stache' is better

And so why not Giga Impact? It's a suggestion. No one said you HAVE to use it. It's a powerful move, and some people like those moves.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.