• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
JUst have some words: IT´S BORING

It´s moveset is boring, it isn´t a dragon movepool, it is a ground type movepool. Dragons learn beams, learn a lot of type attacks. It´s usefulness is (Generic Dragon Attack) Earthquake, a Boosting move and a boring move such as a Fire move or Stone Edge. Any dragon can do that. Dragonite gets a HUGE movepool, and Salamence at least has Hydro Pump, which is a rare move on dragons. They can have lots of Movesets, but Garchomp has just two movesets. Any moveset you create won´t be as good as the SD/DD set, or a Choice set. They will be gimmick.

In my opinion, even I love dragons including Garchomp, this pokemon has a boring movepool, it doesn´t deserve your time trying to find another moveset. Use what has always worked

You apparently know so much about it's movepool but don't know Chomp can't learn DD. Rage harder next time.

JUst have some words: IT´S BORING

but Garchomp has just two movesets. Any moveset you create won´t be as good as the SD/DD set, or a Choice set. They will be gimmick.

By DD do you mean dragon dance because he doesn't learn it, but yes there will only ever be swords dance and choice band garchomps.

Epicpip

My stache' is better
Sadly, yes. I only try to look at pokemon in a new way, since fifth generation brought forth some very interesting moves.

Crobat Ray

PO Username: Ray !
The common Garchomp sets don't run Toxic, plus, Cresselia can Rest off the Toxic if needed. Garchomp also cannot kill a P2 on the switch with any move. A CB Outrage only does 40.9% - 48.1% to Prevo Stone Porygon2, far from a OHKO.

I mean who the hell using rest on P2? It can toxic on the switch then switch out to a propriate counter

Aurath8

Garchomp@Choice Specs
Modest, Timid/Sand Veil
-Draco Meteor
-Earth Power
-Fire Blast
-Surf

Laugh in the face of physical walls with SpecsChomp!
Draco Meteor is great for quickly KOing the physical wall the opponent just switched in expecting an SD.
Earth Power is Ground type STAB hitting a load of steels.
Fire Blast is for Ferrothorn and...well...Ferrothorn. Its more than enough to justify a moveslot.
Surf catches Baloon holding Excadrills and Chandelure's out and is mostly a filler move otherwise.
I'll do some move calc's on some common threats later.

I mean who the hell using rest on P2? It can toxic on the switch then switch out to a propriate counter

I said Rest with Cresselia, which is what you were referring to in your post. People would run that in 4th gen due to the commonness of SS, which is just as common if not more common in 5th gen.

windsong

WEST SIDE
Chomp is the only Dragon with Sand Veil and STAB Earthquake.
And arguably the best Dragon for running defensive sets with a great spread of resistances and defenses equivalent to Swampert's.

Don't try and tell me this thing is a generic dragon.

ddrox

OWNER OF DARKRAI
i still need a garchomp for my team can someone tell me how to get one in HGSS

Monochromatic

A.k.a: Nemo
Garchomp hasn't gained a whole lot this Gen. He's got Rough Skin, making more useful in Non-SS teams, and also Dual Chop, which can break Subs.

SubChomp @ Lefties/Life Orb
Adamant (+Atk -SpA)/Jolly (+Spe -SpA) - Sand Veil (If in SS Team)/Rough Skin
252 Atk/252 Spe/4 HP

~ Substitute
~ Swords Dance
~ Earthquake
~ Dragon Claw/Dual Chop/Outrage

Substitute helps Garchomp set up Swords Dance, and protects him from WoW and other Status Problems, which can hinder his sweep. Swords Dance boosts his Attack for much harder hits. Earthquake is a powerful move that gets STAB and good coverage. Dragon Claw is a standard strength STAB. Dual Chop hits twice for 40 damage each, breaking substitutes, but at a cost of 10 less accuracy than Dragon Claw. Outrage is both powerful and accurate, but it locks Garchomp in confusion, and he's be unable to take advantage of openings to sub/set-up, so it's more useful after Garchomp has already set up one or two SD's.

BandChomp @ Choice Band
Jolly (+Spe -SpA) - Sand Veil (If in SS Team)/Rough Skin
252 Atk/252 Spe/4 HP

~ Earthquake
~ Dragon Claw/Outrage/Dual Chop
~ Fire Fang
~ Stone Edge/Crunch

Earthquake is the powerful STAB move that gets great coverage. Dragon Claw/Outrage/Dual Chop are all powerful Dragon STABs, each with their own advantages. Dragon Claw is a standard, Outrage is very powerful, but locks you in confusion, and Dual Chop breaks subs, but has 90 accuracy. Fire Fang destroys Ferrothorn and hits Skarmory, and Bronzong hard. Stone Edge gets superb coverage with Earthquake, but Crunch hits Psychics such as Cresselia hard.

Specs.Chomp @ Choice Specs.
Timid (+Spe -Atk) - Sand Veil (If in SS Team)/Rough Skin
252 SpA/252 Spe/4 HP

~ Dragon Pulse
~ Surf/Draco Meteor
~ Flamethrower
~ Earth Power

Dragon Pulse is a Gen.4-Only TM Move. It's SpecChomp's only viable Dragon STAB, aside from Draco Meteor. Draco Meteor is very powerful, but it hampers Chomps sweeping abilities. Flamethrower destroys Skarmory, Bronzong, and Ferrothorn. Earth Power is Chomp's powerful Ground STAB.

The main reason to go Spec over Band IMO is because of Skarmory's high defense that could tank a Fire Fang. It's usually not worth going Spec. over Phys. because Garchomp's Base Atk is much more impressive than his Base SpA.

Counters

Bronzong (116 Def) and Skarmory (140 Def) resist STAB Dragon Claw/Dual Chop/Outrage, and are immune to any Ground moves, making them viable switch-ins, and making Fire Fang all the more important. Cresselia is bulky enough to resist Garchomp's attacks, is immune to Ground attacks, and hits back with a powerful x4 Ice Beam.

Partners

Not sure about this one. Garchomp benefits greatly from Sandstorm because of Sand Veil's evasion boost, giving him more time to set-up and attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.