• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

windsong

WEST SIDE
No, it's a terrible move, and a really terrible move on Garchomp. First off, Chomp has Earthquake, which, when combined with STAB, hits 150 power (equal to unSTABbed Giga Impact) and Outrage, which, with STAB, hits 180 power (greater than unSTABbed Giga Impact). Continuing, Giga Impact is a terrible move in competitive that's only worth using if you're trolling, and even then you'll definitely find a better option for trolling out there (such as specschamp, who's classier). The reason? With Giga Impact, you give the opponent a free turn. A free turn for them to bring in something that threatens you and you can't ohko, like Balloon Double Dancer Terakion. And then watch it set up to +2. And then +2/+2 as you're forced to switch.

Get it?

Dragrath

Dragon Onslaught
Garchomp@Choice Scarf
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 252 Att/252 Spe/ 6 HP
Moves:
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Blast

His speed is bad this gen for sweeping so a Scarf set is his best option. Outrage to clean up late game and Dragon Claw early game so you aren't locked into Outrage and become set up bait, Fire Blast for Forrethorn and Skarmory and EQ for STAB and coverage against things like Heatran and Excadrill.
If it is running a choice item doesn't that make Dragon claw useless as you will be locked anyway? I think you would be better off with something else maybe something like stone edge for neutral on ballooned Heatran?
Also people Garchomp has FAR better options than Giga Impact...

Last edited:

fishyfool

And a nice chianti
Dragon Claw doesn't confuse Chomp like Outrage does.

So what to say about Garchomp then? Well...

~Compared to new dragons Haxorus and Hydreigon, Garchomp outruns both with his classic trolly 102 speed, which also notably outruns Landorus. Chomp may have lower attack than Hax and much lower special attack than Hydrei, but what chomp has is unrivalled coverage with double STAB. The classic ScarfChomp works a dream even to this day, and the Swords Dance set remains terrifying. Still, folks like the prospect of Hone Claws, despite unanymous agreement that the move is hopeless. Why have Garchomp running +1 attack and never miss Stone Edge/Dragon Rush when you can have +2 Attack and 100% accurate anyway STAB EQ and Outrage? Pure and simple, never use Hone Claws, it's an awful move just like Blizzard that is only situational.

~Chomp should be aware of some dangerous new threats. While he has the bonus of being able to beat the JelliThorn combo thanks to Fire Fang's 4x effectiveness on Ferrothorn and EQ's relative destructive power on Jellicent, there's still the matter of new threats out there, notably the defensive ones. Serperior is a good deal faster and with Perversity and deceptive bulk, Smuglord can destroy Chomp in 2 Leaf Storms, taking a relatively measly Fire Fang in return, or cripple him with the upgraded Glare. Another danger for Garchomp would have to be the presence of Boil Over, which hits Garchomp neutrally and has a 30% chance of burning him, which would obviously mess him up. There's also a higher number of faster threats, such as Thundurus and Whimsicott, both of who can use Mischievous Heart to weaken Chomp, the latter paralyzing with priority Stun Spore and the latter using his higher speed to KO with HP Ice.

Del Mundo

Ghost Fan
I liked the rest talk set for salamence. Garchomp seems to have better defenses, maybe it could work too,

Garchomp-Impish-Leftovers- Rough Skin
252HP 252Def 4SDef <-- idk, i'm not really thinking about specific case ev spreads right now, help maybe?
Rest
Sleep Talk
Dragon Tail
Earthquake/Swords Dance

Or how about some sort of staller?

Garchomp-Impish-Leftovers -Rough Skin
252HP 252Def 4SDef <-- again, any better ideas?
Dragon Tail
Stealth Rock
Earthquake
Substitute? Swords Dance? Protect?

Dragon Claw is nice if the opponent only has a little HP left and you don't want to be locked into Outrage. It's not that useful, but nothing in Chompy's 4th slot on a choice set is.

Bulky Chomp works pretty well- he's got a lotta resistances, and his defences are better than Swampert's. Chomp forces switches a lot- no-one wants to let him set up- and this makes it easy for him to lay Stealth Rock or rack up entry hazard damage with Dragon Tail. Sand Veil makes this extremely annoying. I run:

http://oi52.*******.com/2ntxr42.jpg

Garchomp (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 24 SDef / 16 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Dragon Tail
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Substitute/Protect/Dragon Claw

EVs: HP is maxed for overall bulk, though you may want to drop to 401 HP for max lefties recovery or 404 HP for 101 HP subs that can't be broken by Seismic Toss in one hit. 216 Def takes Chompy to his last 'jump point', 16 Spd is enough to outspeed max Speed Jolly Tyranitar, and the rest is bunged in SpDef.

One issue you'll have is when your Dragon Tail forces in a bulky water or dragon that outspeeds you and OHKOs- as such, you'll definitely want teammates who can switch in on dragons and bulky waters. Your main worry will be bringing in Hydreigon or Latios, since these Pokémon take minimal damage from hazards- Blissey/Chansey or bulky Steel types like specially defensive Jirachi, Empoleon, Heatran or Ferrothorn are excellent partners for soaking Draco Meteors. Salamence, Dragonite and Garchomp are more difficult to deal with; your entry hazards/sandstorm damage ought to allow you to scout out if they're running Leftovers or a choice item/resist berry/life orb, and you can react appropriately. Protect also allows you to scout for Salamence's set, since he's absurdly versatile, though try not to let him get a free Dragon Dance.

Bulky Chomp has no self recovery other than Leftovers, so Wish support is appreciated. Blissey, Chansey and Jirachi all work and allow you to kill two birds with one stone, while Vaporeon and Alomomola can also do quite well. Sandstorm support is obviously important, so Tyranitar or Hippowdon are important team-mates, and with bulky Chomp, the more entry hazards, the better. Spikes and Toxic Spikes are invaluable, even though Bulky Chomp can provide his own entry hazards; definitely consider bringing along Forretress, Skarmory, Ferrothorn, or Roserade to your team.

Last edited:

noobiess

6 different pokemon
garchomp @ leftovers
adamant (rough skin)
EV's: 252 attack, 252 speed, 6 HP
Attack:
- substitute
- dragon tail
- EQ
- fire blast/stone edge

Well, the tactic behind this moveset is to send it in against a pokemon which can't do much against garchomp. Therefore the opponent is forced to switch and you are able to substitute, making you able to either sweep the opponent or make it switch with dragon tail. Since there aren't alot of pokemon that are garchomp-counters you have a decent chance of making a new substitute again and doing some more damage.
Leftovers makes you able to substitute more so that's always handy :p
The last thing that I want to say, is that this moveset actually is only greater then the other movesets when you combine it with a nice entry hazard team.

Weavile22

Imma be
Countering Garchomp:
Garchomp could be an easy target or a terrible nightmare. Either way, you have to acknowledge his massive attack. Mainly, you should use an ice type. But fire fang will slow this down. Slaking or Medicham can pull off an ice punch as a formidable threat, but if you want STAB and a lot of power and speed, then a Weavile with ice punch or ice shard would go nicely. If you want to use a dragon type to take Garchomp down, I would recommend a Dragonite with Dragon Rush.

Dragrath

Dragon Onslaught
Countering Garchomp:
Garchomp could be an easy target or a terrible nightmare. Either way, you have to acknowledge his massive attack. Mainly, you should use an ice type. But fire fang will slow this down. Slaking or Medicham can pull off an ice punch as a formidable threat, but if you want STAB and a lot of power and speed, then a Weavile with ice punch or ice shard would go nicely. If you want to use a dragon type to take Garchomp down, I would recommend a Dragonite with Dragon Rush.

Wouldn't outrage cause more pain from Dragonite?
Also I don't think it could take a ice attack at all with that *4 weakness so anything faster than Garchomp with a strong ice attack could be a counter.
Also burn could ruin Garchomp completely...

Last edited:

knuckles1299

F*** yeah Seaking
Didn't see this set yet.
Support Chomp @leftovers
Jolly/Sand Veil or Rough Skin (preference)
252 HP/ 252 Spd/ 6 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Swagger/Rest/Roar
- Earthquake/ Dragon Claw

Chomp has an underrated HP stat as well with passable defenses with a decent support movepool. Rest is a viable option over swagger, but that only depends if you want to keep Chomp in the game. Personally, I think he's more of a throw away lead, who's useful in getting Stealth Rock fast and maybe annoy the other team a little bit. Toxic works best with Earthquake seeing as Earthquake covers Toxic resistors (+STAB) but beware balloons. Roar can also be replaced with Dragon tail.

bugcatchersdream

is not a moron
Wouldn't outrage cause more pain from Dragonite?
Also I don't think it could take a ice attack at all with that *4 weakness so anything faster than Garchomp with a strong ice attack could be a counter.
Also burn could ruin Garchomp completely...

As in Ice Punch Weavile?
But if a physical Ice attack hit Chomp, Rough Skin would destroy the attacker...
and the burn thing is true...

Epicpip

My stache' is better
And yes, that Boil Water is the biggest threat to Garchomp since... since Garchomp came along.

MUSE+.+

And so, we come to Garchomp. I wonder if my friend is going to make an apperance?

Anyhow,

Choice-Chomp+T-Tar Partner
Sand Veil
Choice Band/Choice Scarf
-Dragon Rush/Dragon Claw/Dragon Tail
-Fire Fang
-Aerial Ace
-Brick Break
Adamant, Jolly
252 Speed, 252 Attack, 4 Hp

This G-chomp works with T-Tar. There's a fighting type? Either Dragon Tail or Aerial Ace. Fire Fang is nice for Ferrothorn. And the dragon move is your choice. If you want power, but less reliability, go for D-rush. Reliability and switch outs is D-tail. And D-claw is for if you don't want either D-tail or D-rush (but I don't see any reason to use it other than that). And Brick Break covers any Blissey that come your way.

Why Brick Break for blissey?
With 10 Base defence you kill it with STAB EQ no?

bugcatchersdream

is not a moron
Anyhow,

Choice-Chomp+T-Tar Partner
Sand Veil
Choice Band/Choice Scarf
-Dragon Rush/Dragon Claw/Dragon Tail
-Fire Fang
-Aerial Ace
-Brick Break
Adamant, Jolly
252 Speed, 252 Attack, 4 Hp

This G-chomp works with T-Tar. There's a fighting type? Either Dragon Tail or Aerial Ace. Fire Fang is nice for Ferrothorn. And the dragon move is your choice. If you want power, but less reliability, go for D-rush. Reliability and switch outs is D-tail. And D-claw is for if you don't want either D-tail or D-rush (but I don't see any reason to use it other than that). And Brick Break covers any Blissey that come your way.

Why Brick Break for blissey?
With 10 Base defence you kill it with STAB EQ no?

You're SERIOUSLY running a Garchomp set without Earthquake or Outrage? That's suicide. And you contradicted yourself in there too.

pikamanepicfail45

<dont dis da awsmnes
Garchomp @ life orb/choice band
jolly nature(+spd, -sp atk)
EV's- 252 atk/252 spd/4 sp def
Ability- sand veil
Moves-
outrage
earthquake
rock slide/brick break
dragon claw/dual chop

Garchomp needs speed, as there are a lot of pokemon that are faster than it. outrage is a huge STAB move, and brick break or rock slide cover its horrible ice weakness. ive tested the dual chop and dragon claw, and the two moves have the same power when dual chop hits twice. with garchomp, super powerful STAB moves are important.

oh ****. here comes another super bowl for the steelers. again.do they have to win another one? why cant the broncos win one? why do they suck sooooo bad?

Last edited:

twcopal

Bug Catcher
(Super-Effective) Type Coverage Garchomp
Aqua Tail
Earthquake
Fire Fang
Dragon Claw/Crunch/Stong Edge/Brick Break
Nature: Jolly/Adamant
EVS: 252ATK 252SPD 4HP/Def/SP.Def
Item: Expert Belt/Fire Plate/Choice Scarf/Choice Band
Reasoning: The auqa tail, earthquake, fire fang, and dragon claw combo scores super effective hits on around 68% of type combos . the Water Fire and ground type attacks are nessecarry to do this (Water covers ground fire rock types which is key). However, dragon type can be replaced by rock, dark, or fighting still keeping the super effective coverage around 68%. For this reason this set is ment to kill on the first turn, without having to use a swords dance (which would delay garchomp 1 turn). For the other 32% or so type combos, earthquake or dragon claw should score the nuetral hit. The best counters would be (most) water and fighting types, due to they are the only types that variation of set can not score supper effective hits on. almost all, full or part, Electric, bug, rock, poison, ground, grass, ice type pokemon, and all, part of full, fire steel and dragon type pokemon can be hit by a super effective move trough this set (most Dark, ghost, flying, normal, and phychic types can be hit depending of ur choice of move: dragon, fighting, dark or rock).
Type Coverage gimmick set:
Surf
Dragon Pulse
Flame Thrower
Earth Power

EVS: 252SPATK 252 SPD
Nature: Modest
Ability: Sand Vial/Rough Skin

Last edited:
Sorry Garchomp had to get Physical with you!

Garchomp @ Leftovers
Ability - Rough Skin
EVs - 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Nature - Adamant (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Giga Impact
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Hone Claws

OMG, that was a terrible pun. But that's aside the point, EdgeQuake FTW! Hone Claws is a great move that helps you with Stone Edge and those battles that don't have evasion clause. EdgeQuake... 'nuff said. Giga Impact may leave you vulnerable, but if you can sweep, it's worth it. And besides, Rough Skin will hurt them if they attack you.

A Very Special Approach

Garchomp @ Leftovers/Choice Specs/Petaya Berry
Ability - Rough Skin
EVs - 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Nature - Modest (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Surf
- Toxic

I realize Garchomp is really bad with the Special Attack and Special Defense stats. It can't learn any moves that lowers a foe's SDef or raises its SAtk stat. So I had to go with this. Draco Meteor should only be used as a last resort, because it lowers SAtk. Fire Blast and Surf hits Skarmory and a fellow Garchomp. Toxic... well, it's Toxic! Wait long enough and it's a OHKO!

We Need More Defensiveness!

Garchomp @ Leftovers
Ability - Sand Veil
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SDef
Nature - Impish (+Def, -SAtk) or Careful (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Return
- Earthquake
- Sandstorm
- Captivate

Man, Garchomp's a great Pokemon, but it's moves fails horribly! This set centers around raising its Defenses. Captivate is really the only move I could find, and you have a 50/50 chance of that working. Sandstorm raises evasion with its ability, which makes Garchomp great with Tyranitar or Hippowdon. Return and Earthquake are just good moves.

~marioman223 :snowlax:​

windsong

WEST SIDE
Countering Garchomp:

Just saying, Slaking is a pretty bad Pokemon that shouldn't be run, well, ever, and there's basically no reason to use Medicham what with all the new Fighting types like Roob.

In addition, Weavile's more of a check.

But, uh, some counters and checks and such:
Skarmory can take on anything but chainchomp, even if it carries Fire Fang, especially since a significant of Skarmory are physically defensive now. Sets that lack Fire Fang/Blast are completely walled, and pure Spikes fodder.
Bronzong is arguably the next best (or the single best) Garchomp counter in the game, absolutely absorbing basically anything other than like, +2 Fire Fangs. Zong can HP Ice or Gyro Ball Chomp for heavy damage, as well as set up easily against it.
Balloon is worth a bit of a mention, since it significantly increases the list of stuff that can switch in on Garchomp. It also means that scarf and CB Chomp can't just spam Earthquake as easily as they used to be able to.
Lati@s can both outspeed Garchomp with their solid base 110 speed stats and Latias can OHKO all non Haban sets, while a specs Draco Meteor from Latios does the same.
Mamoswine can't switch in on anything, but can Ice Shard. Unfortunately Mamoswine sucks in this meta.

Uh, there's some other stuff, i'll edit this post when i have a bit more time.

edit: @the above post, asdgsahgajsdhgjsadgWHYGIGAIMPACT. Seriously, i break down in tears whenever i see that suggested.

Meowmeow

selfproclaimed guru
Scarf-Chomp
@Choice Scarf

-Dragon Claw|Draco Meteor
-Earthquake
-Fire Blast|Fire Fang
-Stone Edge

Nature: Hasty or Naive
EVs: 252 Speed-126 Attack- 126 Sp. Attack- 4 HP (I hope my math is right)

I am a tad surprised that Draco Meteor has not gotten much mention. This is a straightforward setup. Dragon Claw or Draco Meteor get STAB, as does Earthquake. Fire Blast/Fang hits Steel Types that EQ does not hit as hard (or at all) like Ferrothorn, Skarmory, Bronzong, Forretress, and Scizor. Stone Edge just has good type coverage.

Last edited:

SazandoraMASTER

♥ PSG ♥
Here's an interesting Garchomp
Dragon Tail @Power Band
Nature: Adamant/Jolly/Impish/Careful
Effect: Rough Skin
-Substitute
-Swords Dance
-Dragon Tail
-Earthquake/Fire Fang/Stone Edge
I though of this set from out of nowhere and I though it can be effective. Substitute to pull off some Swords Dances and srves as a protection when using Dragon Tail since you always go last. If your not in a Substitute, Rough Skin can take care of some damage to the foe if touched. Dragon Tail hurts Dragons and may KO them with the help of Swords Dance, or switch them out. That's when Earthquake, Fire Fang or Stone Edge come in. They all provide coverage and STAB with Earthquake taking care of Steels and being awesome, Fire Fang for Ice coverage, Burn, or flinch, and Stone Edge for powerful coverage.

Last edited:

TM0verlord

PSN ID is on sig
Here's my idea: A special set? Preposterous

Modest Nature@ Life Orb/Expert Belt/Choice Specs/Choice Scarf

EV's: 252 Sp. Attack
252 Speed
4 HP
Moves: Dragon Pulse/Draco Meteor
Flamethrower/Fire Blast
Earth Power
Surf/Hidden Power Grass

This can be a good set it used correctly. Dragon Pulse/Draco Meteor is one of your STAB moves. Run Dragon Pulse if you don't like the -2 Sp. Attack from Draco Meteor Or run Draco Meteor for raw power. Flamethrower is for reliability and Fire Blast is for Power. Both moves are mainly used for Scizor/ Forretress/ Ferrothorn/ Escavalier. Earth Power is your other STAB move, has good coverage, and has a possibility in lowering your opponent's Sp. Defense. Use Surf if you want to hit ground pokemon and Tyranitar for super effective damage or use HP Grass for those bulky water with Ice moves.

Status
Not open for further replies.