• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

pikamanepicfail45

<dont dis da awsmnes
ha you guys don't care that the packerz r pwning da steelerz i was reel wrong 21-10
also the special sets are kind of worthless because the the physical sets will always be overused. it's just like starmie using a physical set.

Last edited:

GirlKirbyZombie

Pokemon Rancher
A good friend

To make Garchomp more beastly in non-sandstorm double teams, partner it up with a Liligant with Own Tempo. It can learn Make Friends and have Garchomp not get confused after an Outrage. Just in case that doesn't happen, give Garchomp a lum berry. But you MUST make sure you can counter ice types or other possible ice move carriers.

PhilosophicalPsychologica

okay, I'll include every single set everyone posts.

yeahno.

I can't include every single set. sweeping machamp doesn't work, and mixed sweeping machamp? maybe not.

If you are quoting me, that were not my exact words! XP

The point is...well, a lot of Gen 4 Pokemon have lost their niches.

Oh well, um, Garchomp...eh?

Garchomp has received very little bonuses in Gen 5, aside from being promoted back to OU. It's still the same powerhouse as it always has been. It can utilize Aqua Tail and Fire attacks more efficiently yet mpre difficulty with the advent of Drizzle and Drought. All in all, its bonuses are Hone Claws and Rough Skin, and those are only very mild options. Dragon Tail is possible, but is better used by more defensively-oriented monsters.

pikamanepicfail45

<dont dis da awsmnes
****!!!! da pakerz win 31-25

GameMaster0000

Chaos Nightmare
I see most people suggest Hone Claw+Dragon Rush. IMO, it is not worth. it is get only 225 atk, while Sword Dance+Dragon Claw is get 240 atk.

Hone Claw is get +accuracy but what will it is used? Stone Age? Dragon+Ground+Fire is get perfect coverage, Fire Blast? SD+Fire fang do more damage. 95 accuracy is nearly perfect.

Last edited:
Here's my idea: A special set? Preposterous

Modest Nature@ Life Orb/Expert Belt/Choice Specs/Choice Scarf

EV's: 252 Sp. Attack
252 Speed
4 HP
Moves: Dragon Pulse/Draco Meteor
Flamethrower/Fire Blast
Earth Power
Surf/Hidden Power Grass

This can be a good set it used correctly. Dragon Pulse/Draco Meteor is one of your STAB moves. Run Dragon Pulse if you don't like the -2 Sp. Attack from Draco Meteor Or run Draco Meteor for raw power. Flamethrower is for reliability and Fire Blast is for Power. Both moves are mainly used for Scizor/ Forretress/ Ferrothorn/ Escavalier. Earth Power is your other STAB move, has good coverage, and has a possibility in lowering your opponent's Sp. Defense. Use Surf if you want to hit ground pokemon and Tyranitar for super effective damage or use HP Grass for those bulky water with Ice moves.

Sadly, this is almost completely outclassed by Hydreigon except for speed, which honestly isn't a big enough boon when you've got such a low Special Attack stat that Cacnea laughs at you. Seriously, Grovyle is hitting harder with Leaf Storm than this thing is with Draco Meteor.

As for those posting defensive sets, might I recommend a Jolly EV spread of 252HP/76Def/120SpD/60Spe? There's enough speed to outspeed neutral Base 90's, enough HP and Def investment to survive a +2 Earthquake from non-Life Orb Excadrill, and the rest for more special bulk. Also keep in mind that should you opt for Rough Skin, Stealth Rock, Sleep Talk, and Aqua Tail all become illegal in combination, iirc.

Rockleon

Veteren
Dragon Claw doesn't confuse Chomp like Outrage does.

So what to say about Garchomp then? Well...

~Compared to new dragons Haxorus and Hydreigon, Garchomp outruns both with his classic trolly 102 speed,

Haxorus is only out sped by 5, if ev trained in speed he could probably beat him, and Hax also gets dragon dance while garchomp has no way of increasing speed. Thank god they didnt give him sandrush.

Anyway I think a good set for garchomp would be

Swords Dance
BrickBreak
Outrage
Earthquake

Brick break over fire fang because of 10 extra power, also breaking like reflects and light screens is pretty awesome.

Last edited:

windsong

WEST SIDE
Haxorus is only out sped by 5, if ev trained in speed he could probably beat him, and Hax also gets dragon dance while garchomp has no way of increasing speed. Thank god they didnt give him sandrush.

Anyway I think a good set for garchomp would be

Swords Dance
BrickBreak
Outrage
Earthquake

Brick break over fire fang because of 10 extra power, also breaking like reflects and light screens is pretty awesome.

Ononokuso (Haxorus) has only 5 less base speed than Garchomp, which translates into a bit more than 5 speed when both are EV'd at level 100. In addition, most Garchomp (all Garchomp pretty much) will be EV'd to outspeed at least base 100s.

In addition, Brick Break has basically no merit other than breaking screens. The extra 10 power is unimportant because it doesn't hit the stuff that you actually use Fire Fang for hitting (Bronzong and Skarmory) very hard at all.

Rockleon

Veteren
Most scarmorys arent using any def increasing moves, so swords dance brick break could do damage. Brick break was for ice types and dark.

If wanna be taking out scarm, wouldnt you want a special set anyway?
I can see what you mean for bronzong though.

GameMaster0000

Chaos Nightmare
Seriously, guy...Please stop suggest Giga Impact!! STAB EQ attack power is 150 equal to giga impact but not lost your turn.

Even Outrage still better +STAB damage is 180 and confusion is more better that lost your turn.

Dragonite's

Talented Trainer
I have two set ideas for Garchomp

Evasion:
Sandstorm
Double team
Dig / Earthquake
Dragon claw / Crunch

Nature-Jolly Item-Leftovers
Ability-Sand Stream

Sandstorm and Double team for evasion, plus Sandstorm which is the main reason I put Dig in as an option instead of Earthquake, depends if you want damage from Sandstorm and waste an opponents PP (potential boost) or do more damage in ONE turn. Definently Dragon claw w/ dig and Crunch is optional w/ earthquake if your worried about ghosts or psychics.

Power Chomp

Earthquake
Dragon claw
Fire Fang
Iron Head / Crunch

Nature-Adamant Item-Life orb/Choice band
Ability-Sand Stream

Earthquake and Dragon claw are your stab moves. Fire Fang is for Steels that can take Earthquake and Ice types. Iron head takes out Aerodactyl and Crunch takes out Gengar.

Now time for Double and Triple battles!
Double battle, Evasion set
I would suggest Teaching Garchomp dig w/ a Pokemon that knows surf.

Double Battle, Power Chomp
I would suggest a special hitter like Gengar or Togekiss.

Triple battle, Evasion set
All the other pokemon w/ you Power Hitters that once again know surf

Triple Battle, Power Chomp
Put Garchomp in the middle with pokemon immune to earthquake like Gengar and Skarmory.

and thats the end from me for Garchomp.

I have two set ideas for Garchomp

Evasion:
Sandstorm
Double team
Dig / Earthquake
Dragon claw / Crunch

Nature-Jolly Item-Leftovers
Ability-Sand Stream

Sandstorm and Double team for evasion, plus Sandstorm which is the main reason I put Dig in as an option instead of Earthquake, depends if you want damage from Sandstorm and waste an opponents PP (potential boost) or do more damage in ONE turn. Definently Dragon claw w/ dig and Crunch is optional w/ earthquake if your worried about ghosts or psychics.

First off, I think you mean Sand Veil, not Sand Stream. Next, Sandstorm is kind of a waste on Garchomp. You'd be better off using Tyranitar or Hippowdon for automatic Sandstorm. Also, Double Team is usualy banned in competitive play, unless you can convince your opponent to drop the Evasion Clause. Crunch isn't really covering anything of note that Garchomp's STABs don't hit harder. After all, Chomp's STABs alone hit everything in the game for strong damage except Skarmory and Bronzong. One more thing, never use Dig. As soon as someone sees you charging, they can just switch to a Flyer/Levitator to absorb it. And if they switch the turn you are charging anticipating an Earthquake, then you've given them a whole turn to do whatever the heck they want.

The other set's alright. You'll just need Jolly nature and some better moves than Iron Head and Crunch.

multi-scale

for counters, can shell break cloyster work? with its big defense it's probably going to take at least one hit, then +2 STAB ice move should OHKO.

rukarion

lucario trainer
double team won't really work if you use it.
just make it a sweeper
use
iron head or iron tail or fire fang
another partner may be bronzong. make garchomp hold iron ball and make bronzong use trick room. oh, and give garchomp fling if trick room wares out

rukarion

lucario trainer
use timid starmie with ice beam to 1 hit ko garchomp
(as i hate these in wifi battle tower, lucky i use a focus sash =] )

garchompkid

garchomp is made for physical, physical, physical and yet more physical.

use timid starmie with ice beam to 1 hit ko garchomp
(as i hate these in wifi battle tower, lucky i use a focus sash =] )

Starmie is OHKO'd by anything Garchomp has except for Fire Blast, so it can't switch in.

I really think we need a thread to define counter so people don't just think it's anything that can OHKO a certain poke.

I really think we need a thread to define counter so people don't just think it's anything that can OHKO a certain poke.

Good point. Fried Rhys mentioned this in an old guide of his:

So many noobs use this for their reasoning that Salamence shouldn't be uber. Well noobs, Weavile is not a counter. A counter is a Pokémon that can SWITCH IN to another Pokémon with little to no risk to its own well-being, and also immediately threaten the opponent. Weavile cannot take anything from Salamence. Not all Salamence are Dragon Dancers. 50% are mixed. So when you bring in your Weavile, don't ***** you lost your "counter" when it is KOd by Draco Meteor. So, Weavile is not a Salamence counter, it is merely a "check".

Pretty much, a "counter" is something that can safely switch in to an opponent and threaten it, while a "check" can merely threaten an opponent although it might be threatened as well.

garchompkid

going on that a bulky steel (bronzong,skarmory) would be a REAL counter

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.