• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

rukarion

lucario trainer
I have two ideas for Garchomp movesets:

Classic Chomp
Dargon Claw/Outrage
Earthquake
Stone Edge
Swords Dance

EVs: 4 HP, 252 speed, 252 attack/
Nature: Adamant/Jolly
Item: Leftovers/ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Stream

This is a classic Garchomp set. Swords Dance gives it the attack power it needs to become a HUGE threat.

DONT RUSH ME I NEED TO HONE MY CLAWS
Hone Claws
Dragon Rush
Earthquake
Stone Edge

EVs: 252 HP, 252 speed, 4 attack
Nature: Jolly
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Rough Skin

This is a more different Garchomp then what you would normally see. With Hone Claws raising its attack as well as accuracy, you dont really need 252 attack EVs.

why would you use swords dance
you would get OHKOed by a starmie if you wasted a turn using swords dance

MyuX3

Mew mew mew, MEW!!!!
why would you use swords dance
you would get OHKOed by a starmie if you wasted a turn using swords dance

Swords Dance is definity not a waste of time, and there is no guarantee your opponent will have a Starmie... Swords Dance sets Garchomp up for a sweep, without it Garchomp would not be as useful.
Also remember what assassinsceptile said.

Starmie is OHKO'd by anything Garchomp has except for Fire Blast, so it can't switch in.

I really think we need a thread to define counter so people don't just think it's anything that can OHKO a certain poke.

Last edited:

rukarion

lucario trainer
what about swampert(mine even knows outrage).
starmies are common and nice and simple to get.
weavile has ice punch
even a scizor can OHKO it =[ (if it has choice band, technichen(is this how its spelt?)and bullet punch. nasty)
if you use swords dance, use it once and give it a focus sash, and make it fast

what about swampert(mine even knows outrage).
starmies are common and nice and simple to get.
weavile has ice punch
even a scizor can OHKO it =[ (if it has choice band, technichen(is this how its spelt?)and bullet punch. nasty)
if you use swords dance, use it once and give it a focus sash, and make it fast

Ice Beam is better on Swampert because Outrage is garbage without STAB and Ice Beam hits Chomp and Mence harder. Chomp even OHKO's Swampert at +2 with Outrage 101.2% - 119.4%. Starmie isn't very common in 5th gen, which is what this POTW is for, as Chomp is banned from 4th gen standard. Neither Starmie nor Weavile can switch in, making them checks not counters. Scizor is OHKO'd by Fire Blast on the switch, though it can come in on an Outrage or for the revenge kill, making it a check. Focus Sash is useless on a nonlead pokemon as entry hazards will negate your Focus Sash completely.

The best counters in 5th gen for Chomp are still Skarm and Bronzong, although it is revenge killed by a lot more now.

rukarion

lucario trainer
Have to agree, bronzong is a good counter. if it is very slow, use trick room totake chomp out.
weavile may not be able to switch in, yet, it can be a revenge killer, also starmie. mine can ko my garchomp(plus my starmie is shiney with good moves and nature. got on GTS for tyrouge any =])

Have to agree, bronzong is a good counter. if it is very slow, use trick room totake chomp out.
weavile may not be able to switch in, yet, it can be a revenge killer, also starmie. mine can ko my garchomp(plus my starmie is shiney with good moves and nature. got on GTS for tyrouge any =])

If Garchomp is holding a Yache Berry Starmie and Weavile are OHKO'd and can't do the same, as Garchomp is as bulky as a Swampert. Plus, where you got your Starmie from and the fact that it's shiny is irrelevant.

Epicpip

My stache' is better
If only it did, it could be better...

pikamanepicfail45

<dont dis da awsmnes
yea i knew it. landorus learns outrage at lv 85. also there are about 50 OU pokemon that can learn ice beam

random13

Joltic Fan
Double/Triple Battle: How about Charizard, Moltres, or Ho-oh as a partner for Garchomp. They don't get hurt by his earthquake and get super effective STAB on ice types that may attempt to get an ice attack in, or just to get rid of Ferrothorn, Skarmory, or Bronzong so that Garchomp can have an extra attack slot where you would normally have Fire Fang.
Or maybe you could use Thunderus, Emolga, or Fan Rotom for the waters that try to get an Ice Beam in.

pikamanepicfail45

<dont dis da awsmnes
that is a good idea, especially with charizard as it is faster than the others and will scare ice types away as most of them are slower than average pokemon. i dont really know what's wrong with my pictures of serperior,hydreigon, and excadrill.

Last edited:

Epicpip

My stache' is better
Here's an interesting Garchomp. Please give feedback or stuff!
Dragon Tail @Power Band/Leftovers
Nature: Adamant/Jolly/Impish/Careful
Effect: Rough Skin
-Substitute
-Swords Dance/Hone Claws
-Dragon Tail
-Earthquake/Fire Fang/Stone Edge
I though of this set from out of nowhere and I though it can be effective. Substitute to pull off some Swords Dances or Hone Claws and serves as a protection when using Dragon Tail since you always go last. If your not in a Substitute, Rough Skin can take care of some damage to the foe if touched. Dragon Tail hurts Dragons and may KO them with the help of Swords Dance, or switch them out. That's when Earthquake, Fire Fang or Stone Edge come in. They all provide coverage with Earthquake being a powerful STAB and taking care of Steels, Fire Fang for Ice coverage, Burn, or flinch, and Stone Edge for powerful coverage.

This set is pretty good, actually. Garchomp doesn't normally need subsitute, but you'd need to run leftovers or you're ice bait. Otherwise, nice idea! Dragon Tail takes care of whoever you aren't good against... so... yeah...

jamez292

Pyro Loving Trainer
Well, here goes. Sorry if any has posted this set already, I just saw the Garchomp and went straight to reply.

Boost-a-Chomp
Garchomp @ Focus Sash
Adamant / Sand Veil
252 Att - 252 Spd - 4 HP

Hone Claws
Dragon Rush
Earthquake
Brick Break / Stone Edge

Hone Claws begins by not only boosting the Attack stat, but also the accuracy which is great for STAB Dragon Rush, and also Stone Edge if your running it.
Earthquake has awesome coverage.
The choice between Brick Break and Stone Edge is where I get torn. Stone Edge works kinda ace with Earthquake, but Brick Break works fantastic against Tyranitar and covers its x4 Ice Type Weakness. Lately, it's rare I find a team that doesn't have a dark type in it (*cough* Zoroark *cough*) so I would personally prefer Brick Break.

Garchomp can take a big blow while setting up, and if its a good Ice type attack, Focus Sash gives you the reasurance that your going to be able to use that attack and accuracy boost to deal a nice chunk of damage back. Leftovers is OK for some recovery, but it may not help you if you take an Ice Beam first hit. Life Orb is cool, but you risk the loss of HP each time you attack. Choice anything is going to lock you into 1 move, and thats not a good thing for Garchomp.

In Double and Triple Battles, Sand Veil usually kicks in due to the heavily Popular Tyranitar, and thus gaining an evasion boost. Tyranitar Can usually take on what Garchomp cannot so works nicely with Garchomp, just remember that your Tyranitar is not going to be too happy about an Earthquake.

Countering Garchomp is simple enough. Bulky Waters seem your easiest way as Garchomp can't learn anything that will score a super effective hit on one. Water Types can usually carry a good Ice move and will cause Garchomp some pain, especially if you target its slightly lower Sp. Def (Hello reliable Ice Beam).

rukarion

lucario trainer
Double/Triple Battle: How about Charizard, Moltres, or Ho-oh as a partner for Garchomp. They don't get hurt by his earthquake and get super effective STAB on ice types that may attempt to get an ice attack in, or just to get rid of Ferrothorn, Skarmory, or Bronzong so that Garchomp can have an extra attack slot where you would normally have Fire Fang.
Or maybe you could use Thunderus, Emolga, or Fan Rotom for the waters that try to get an Ice Beam in.

very good idea. fire types take out weavile. but also lawnmower rotom would be better as it has levitate and STAB thunderbolt and leaf storm

good item for garchomp is a rowap berry. it hits back when your hit by ice beam. how about attack forme deoxys with ice punch and phsyco boost. that could wreack a garchomp? (only if garchomp hasn't got crunch)

I also forgot. milotic is good for a counter (on 4th gen, palmer's caused so much trouble to my garchomp)

Last edited by a moderator:
counters-Glaceon it has a reasonable defences and can hit hard with ice beam
-Mamoswine has defence and ice shard
-Skarmory deals with most things garchomp can through at it exept fire fang but should be able to take it
-bronzong almost like skarmory
-Ferrothorn- provides good defence but typing suffers from fire fang

The hone claws set is a nice addition along with dragon tail defensive sets which open up more options for chomp
although the 4th gen sets are still very effective

Update:some counters can probably be dispatched easily so it's bad on my part (first post)

Last edited:
counters-Glaceon it has a reasonable defences and can hit hard with ice beam
-Mamoswine has defence and ice shard
-Skarmory deals with most things garchomp can through at it exept fire fang but should be able to take it
-bronzong almost like skarmory
-Ferrothorn- provides good defence but typing suffers from fire fang

The hone claws set is a nice addition along with dragon tail defensive sets which open up more options for chomp
although the 4th gen sets are still very effective

Update:some counters can probably be dispatched easily so it's bad on my part (first post)

Again, the only two you listed that are counters are Skarmory and Bronzong, the rest cannot switch in.

Actually Scarf Glaceon can survive Garchomp's hits and OHKO with Ice Beam even through Yache Berry. Too bad its complete garbage otherwise.

I see what I did by listing some Pokemon who can just OHKO garchomp.
But Ferrothorn is still viable if you partner it with kingdra (ou) or palkia (uber) so it can safely switch in.

Actually Scarf Glaceon can survive Garchomp's hits and OHKO with Ice Beam even through Yache Berry. Too bad its complete garbage otherwise.

Jolly LO Outrage vs ScarfGlaceon = 86.4% - 101.8% OHKO with no SD and with rocks up 100% of the time. It can take an EQ though a bit of the time 71.7% - 84.9%. The only move Glaceon can come on safely is Fire Blast.

Status
Not open for further replies.