• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #60

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kraleck

*Kraleck used Crack Knuckles. It's Not Very Effective. Kraleck is hurt by Recoil* Ow, ow, ow...okay, some interesting Move combos for Sigilyph may include:
-Charge Beam + Ice Beam - Pseudo-Boltbeam that only gets better as C.Beam is used more.
-Tailwind + Whirlwind - You won't get better Speed Priority for Whirlwind, but you may get lucky against a Pokemon that would barely outrun you otherwise after Whirlwind.
-Smack Down + Doubles/Triples Partner's Earthquake or Earth Power - A stretch on Sigilyph's part for Move Combo purposes, but it can wreak a bit of havoc with Pokemon like Skarmory, Crobat, most of the Appliance Rotom, or Weezing, who would be Ground-Immune otherwise.

Also of note, Skill Swap with Tinted Lens Ability could make Multi a niche for Sigilyph. I can think of several Pokemon with lackluster Abilities that could really use the boost...

Shale

gtfo
Sigilyph @ Life Orb
Bold, 252 HP/252 Defense/4 Speed

-Calm Mind
-Roost
-Stored Power
-Hidden Power (Fighting)

Same basis as a Cosmic Power set, just much more offensive.

jireh the provider

Video Game Designer
Yay! It's my team member on my firs team. Before my my charles girls that is ...

High bulk could give you a challenge. N harmonica tests your team, possibly his best early oke in the game. But a nearly unbreakable wall where only few could break the Nazca guardian or Known as the Ancient Hylian loftwing of Pokemon of the legend of zelda. Really, we should nickname this to sigilyph, Ancient Hylian Loftwing on the post of its talent.

A not so soaring crimson loftwing of Link:
-Psyshock/Psychic
-Icebeam
-Air Slash
-Twave/Shadowball/ Energyball
Item is life orb

Something that Zelda's loftwing can learn
-Psycho Shift
-Stored Power
-Cosmic Power
-Roost
Item is Flame orb/Toxic orb

Mix sets are okay

counters. I think Special killer Lucario Could work with a Nasty plot or 3. Terrakion too but soehow gets wary with its attacks.

Asbestospoison

Excellent Driver
Hey, Sigilyph. Cool.

Choice
Sigilyph @ Choice Scarf/Specs
4 HP/ 252 SpA/ 252 Speed
Timid
Magic Guard
-Psychic/ Psyshock
-Air Slash/Energy Ball
-Ice Beam
-HP Fighting

Cosmic Power Set you've probably seen before
Sigilyph @ Flame Orb
252 HP/ 200 Def/ 56 Speed
Bold
Magic Guard
-Stored Power
-Cosmic Power
-Roost
-Psycho Shift

Last edited:
Overview:

Oh boy is Sigilyph a deadly one. Magic Guard combined with fair defenses, Psycho Shift, and Cosmic Power make this thing a lethal wall, while decent offense makes it a good attacker. Sigilyph is very versatile, and can run a variety of sets.

Standard Defensive Troll
Sigilyph @ Flame Orb
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP/200 Def/56 Spe
Bold
- Cosmic Power
- Stored Power
- Psycho Shift
- Roost

Cosmic Power boosts Defenses and the power of Stored Power. Psycho Shift cripples physical attackers. Roost is recovery. Flame Orb gives immunity to sleep and paralysis.

Offensive Calm Mind
Sigilyph @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe
Timid
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock/Psychic/Stored Power
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Fighting]/Air Slash/Roost

Standard Calm Mind set. Calm Mind to give you power, random Psychic attack for STAB, Ice Beam for Dragons and Grounds, and the last spot has a variety of choices. HP Fighting hits Tyranitar, Air Slash is secondary STAB, and Roost is recovery.

Bulkier version of Offensive Calm Mind
Sigilyph @ Leftovers/Flame Orb
EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 Spe
Timid
- Calm Mind
- Roost
- Stored Power
- Ice Beam/Hidden Power [Fighting]/Psycho Shift

Bulky Calm Minder. Calm Mind is just like above. Roost is recovery. Stored Power is preferrable here because of the attempt to get more Calm Minds. Last spot is filler. Use Flame Orb with Psycho Shift.

Substitute
Sigilyph @ Life Orb/Leftovers
EVs: 4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe or 252 HP/4 SpA/252 Spe
Timid
- Substitute
- Psyshock
- Ice Beam/Toxic
- Hidden Power [Fighting]/Roost

Substitute set. Use the second set of moves with the second EV spread and Leftovers, use the first set with Life Orb and the first spread. Pretty simple.

Stereotypical Choice Set
Sigilyph @ Choice Specs/Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe
Timid/Modest
- Psyshock/Psychic
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Ice Beam
- Shadow Ball/Energy Ball/Air Slash

Standard Choice set. Psychic move for STAB, HP Fighting hits Darks and Steels, Ice Beam for Dragons and Gliscor, and the last slot for random coverage.

Hey, Sigilyph. Cool.

Choice
4 HP/ 252 SpA/ 252 Speed
Timid
Magic Guard
-Psychic/ Psyshock
-Energy Ball
-Shadow Ball
-HP Ice

Cosmic Power Set you've probably seen before
Sigilyph @ Flame Orb
252 HP/ 200 Def/ 56 Speed
Bold
Magic Guard
-Stored Power
-Cosmic Power
-Roost
-Psycho Shift

*coughcoughIceBeamcoughcough*

Huh. I just read again throught the last POTW and saw no references to Guns & Roses or "Every Rose Has Its Thorn."

But at least the sets were all good, lol.

Zachmac

A not so soaring crimson loftwing of Link:
Hey, it's not a loftwing, it's the triforce eagle. Can't you tell from it's wings?

The rare crimson loftwing is in my sig.
-Charge Beam + Ice Beam - Pseudo-Boltbeam that only gets better as C.Beam is used more.
Meh, calm mind is a better boosting move, and Cosmic Power is even better.
-Tailwind + Whirlwind - You won't get better Speed Priority for Whirlwind, but you may get lucky against a Pokemon that would barely outrun you otherwise after Whirlwind.
Eh, too situational.
-Smack Down + Doubles/Triples Partner's Earthquake or Earth Power - A stretch on Sigilyph's part for Move Combo purposes, but it can wreak a bit of havoc with Pokemon like Skarmory, Crobat, most of the Appliance Rotom, or Weezing, who would be Ground-Immune otherwise.
This could probably work. Dual Screens, Tail Wind, and maybe Smack Down, though I'm not excited about that last move, it could still work.

Actually, I think Sigilyth could be decent in doubles.
Also of note, Skill Swap with Tinted Lens Ability could make Multi a niche for Sigilyph. I can think of several Pokemon with lackluster Abilities that could really use the boost...
Not really. Wasting a turn to give a teammate a slight boost? Eh, probably won't hurt too much, but I don't think the results will be overly amazing.

baros1

Love this Poké

@Life Orb
Timid nature
Magic Guard
4 HP / 252 Spd / 252 SpA
- Psychic / Psyshock
- Ice Beam
- HP Fire / Fighting
- Air Slash / Roost

Not tricky Sigilyph's, but powerful ones that can counter effectively Gliscors and Brelooms and do a very nice job against Conkeldurr

Psychic for greater damage or Psyshock for defense exploit
Ice Beam hits hard dragons and stuff like Gliscor
HP Fire is a great addition against Pokés like Scizor, Jirachi and Celebi whilst Fighting goes for Tyranitars and other metals
Air Slash helps hitting some other uncovered types (Starmie, Slowbro) or Roost for recovering

Have always used this set on OU with tremendous success

For the set name that could be Speclyph or A Psychic bird that generates ice

Jackalacking

Greed the Avaricious
For the cosmic power one how about a reference to hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy... "The life, the universe and everything" "so long and thanks for all the sigilyph" or "the sigilyph at the end of the universe"

Honch

Head Honch
Status Inflictor/Supporter Sigilyph

Status Inflictor/Support

EV: 252 HP/4 Def/252 Spe
Ability: Magic Guard
Item: Toxic Orb
--Psycho Shift
--Reflect/Light Screen
--Tailwind
--Attract

My preferred Sigilyph: Used in double battle scenario. Begin with Reflect or Light Screen to boost defense. Then you become poisioned between turns. Use Psycho Shift to send over a special present for your opponent. Then support teammate with speed boost, Tailwind. I also like to keep Attract handy, so if in a single battle scenario, you won't need to take as many hits.

For the cosmic power one how about a reference to hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy... "The life, the universe and everything" "so long and thanks for all the sigilyph" or "the sigilyph at the end of the universe"

lol, I like this one a lot.

+ cool points for you!

Shuckle

EverydayI'mShucklin'
Sigilyph used to be that weirdo with a funny-looking body and that weird eye. Then I used it in-game, and I was like "HOLY MOTHER OF GOD!" Seriously, this thing is AMAZING.

Wonder Skin: Don't bother. This doesn't even have the level of protection of Shield Dust; I get the feeling that crack-addled Game Freak decided to make things a tiny bit more difficult for us and added in a useless ability. Like Reuniclus' Overcoat when Magic Guard does EXACTLY THE SAME THING BUT BETTER.
Magic Guard: Yes, this! This removes all extra damaging effects from poison, burn, sandstorm, etc. While certain other special sweepers already have this *coughAlakazam*, Sigilyph has a resistance, giving it a lovely niche.
Tinted Lens: Whatever Sigilyph can do with this, Venomoth can do it better, and Venomoth has access to Quiver Dance as well. While Venomoth doesn't have that sexy resistance, it does have a Gen1 movepool that is significantly better than Sigilyph's. But worry not, Sigilyph, you are loved with that Magic Guard.

Anti-Meta Guardian
Magic Guard
Flame Orb
~Flash Cannon
~Ice Beam
~Psyshock/Psychic
~Thunderbolt

Sigilyph may not have the best moveset, but by God he's got a good one. This is for all those just-past-noobs who think that Smogon is everything and everything else is nothing. Which is ironic, because Sigichoice is the very definition of meta.

Sigilyph finds a nice niche on Gravity teams, too. Gravity abuse can be really, really fun. It also learns Telekinesis and Miracle Eye. Pick any two, you'll get a no-miss hax team, no need for No Guard. Make the most of it and include Hypnosis (among others). Best used in Doubles.

Bleh, now I'm just talking for the sake of talking. Hope I helped while I was helpful! Sigilyph is a one-man army, and it's painful to go up against him without his counters, like Jynx or Weavile.

floatzel98

→ s o a r i n g
Anti-Meta Guardian
Magic Guard
Flame Orb
~Flash Cannon
~Ice Beam
~Psyshock/Psychic
~Thunderbolt

Sigilyph may not have the best moveset, but by God he's got a good one. This is for all those just-past-noobs who think that Smogon is everything and everything else is nothing. Which is ironic, because Sigichoice is the very definition of meta.
You have Flame Orb there, but you already have the 2 main items listed.
Also at the first sentence there, lol.

Melonhead215

"That one guy"
How about "The 42'nd Set"?

Status
Not open for further replies.