• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #60

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackalacking

Greed the Avaricious
On no account let a sigilyph read poetry to you?

Last edited:
Anti-Meta Guardian
Sigilyph @ Choice Scarf/Specs
Magic Guard
Flame Orb
~Flash Cannon
~Ice Beam
~Psyshock/Psychic
~Thunderbolt

Two problems though. Why would you use Flash Cannon where it covers two types (Rock and Ice) whereas you can easily use Hidden Power fighting which covers both and as well covers two things that can counter Sigilyph (Dark and Steel). Also Sigilyph can't learn Thunderbolt :p

-Unicorno-

Think Magical!
My favorite sigilyph set.

Sigilyph @ Choice specs
Timid/Magic guard
252 sp 252 sp atk 4 sp. def
-Energy ball
-Ice beam
-psychic
-air slash

A pretty self explanatory choice set he may not have access to boltbeam air slash and psychic are pretty good replacements

Kraleck

Two problems though. Why would you use Flash Cannon where it covers two types (Rock and Ice) whereas you can easily use Hidden Power fighting which covers both and as well covers two things that can counter Sigilyph (Dark and Steel). Also Sigilyph can't learn Thunderbolt :p

I think I can guess the two main reasons for Flash Cannon:
1. It's stronger than Hidden Power at maximum Base Power. With Flash Cannon's Base 80 against Hidden Power (Fighting)'s Base 70 (if you're lucky outside a metagame), I'd take Flash Cannon, too.
2. It's easier to access outside a metagame without tearing your hair out trying to get the perfect setup for it.

If you want more reasons for Flash Cannon, I'd say:
3. So that Ghost Types can't free-switch into you.
4. You can handle most Dark and/or Steel Type with neutral coverage from the Ice + Electric Move-Type combo.
5. A rare chance to lower Sp.Def never hurts if you're lucky...
6. You'd be an idiot to stand your ground against Dark and/or Steel Types anyway.

Tyranitar and Heatran are calling anyone who would use Flash Cannon Sigilyph out.

Fight on the black top round 3 PM. They aren't afraid of Flash Cannon as much as Sigylph is afraid of the retaliation.

MetalCrow

Lol Steel is a terrible offensive type... Sigi doesn't even have STAB on it... And barely 100 base Sp.Attack isn't enough force to warrant the extra 10 base power over HP Fighting.....the super effective coverage far outclasses the slightly higher damage output in certain, distinct scenarios...
On a side note, I lol at everybody who throws attacks into the mix that Sigi can't even learn

Kraleck

Lol Steel is a terrible offensive type... Sigi doesn't even have STAB on it... And barely 100 base Sp.Attack isn't enough force to warrant the extra 10 base power over HP Fighting.....the super effective coverage far outclasses the slightly higher damage output in certain, distinct scenarios...
On a side note, I lol at everybody who throws attacks into the mix that Sigi can't even learn

I didn't say I recommended Flash Cannon, though. I merely stated facts about it in relation to why one would use it over HP (Fighting).

Sigilyph VS Dark and/or Steel Types should always end with the decision for Sigilyph to switch out. Facing your critical enemies with average defenses, even if buffed once or twice, is an exercise in futility.

Tyranitar? Sand Stream gives it a passive Sp.Def buff and will keep Sandstorm up. Heatran? Outclasses most Pokemon like Sigilyph entirely. Even then, Ground would be a slightly more appropriate Hidden Power since most Dark Types (barring pure Dark and Dark/Ghost) have a second Type that Sigilyph can exploit for Super-Effective damage with proper Move choice.

The Steel Type has more issue from HP (Ground) than HP (Fighting) as well. You lose some coverage to gain Super-Effective coverage on a few extra Types.

Dual STAB alone governs neutral-or-better coverage over everything except Steel, Steel/Psychic, Steel/Rock, Steel/Dragon, Dark/Steel, Water/Steel, Steel/Ground, Fire/Steel, Electric/Steel, Flying/Steel, Solrock, Lunatone, and Tyranitar:
-Adding HP (Ground) drops that list to Levitate Bronzor/zong, Skarmory, Solrock, and Lunatone. Two major and three minor threats for better Super-Effective coverage.
-Adding HP (Fighting) covers all of those Types and Pokemon, but with lesser effectiveness than HP (Ground) on a good selection of them. A really good trade-off to consider.
...remember that Air Slash isn't too terrible, especially with a Flinch chance, so it must always be considered.

Even after the Fighting VS Ground Hidden Power issue, you still have a fourth Move to consider. Ice Beam gives coverage over 3 of the 5 Pokemon that HP (Ground) struggles with and is a rather hearty Move staple.

Psycho Wall

Psycho Shift
Stored Power
Cosmic Power/Calm Mind
Roost

Ability: Magic Guard
Nature: Bold
Item: Flame Orb
Ev's: 252 HP, 200 Def, 56 Speed/Sp.def

The set it seems to be best suited for. Psycho Shift is the crux of the set, it off loads the burn the flame orb gives to the opponent especially if they are dark types and cripple physical attackers like Tyranitar. Cosmic Power is another crux boosting your defences to high levels that even tyranitar with or without a burn can find tricky to defeat. Calm Mind is an alternative crux and makes Stored Power even stronger.Roost heals half you health, along with your heightened defences and a burned physical attacker makes Sigilyph even harder to kill. Stored Power is its only way of attack. It gains 20 power every time it's stats go up and with cosmic power and calm mind boosting up 2 stats thats means 40 extra power each use(max:260+STAB).

Melonhead215

"That one guy"

SwiftGrovyle

Official POTW Fact Checker
Wait.

Ok I know this is a stupid request, but does anyone have any good set names? I can spew out competitive sets until my butt hurts but when it comes to original names.. yeah I suck.

Hey here's a set:
I set my weapon from stun to KILL!!
Siligyph w/ Choice specs or scarf.
252 in sp.atk and speed... 4 hp
Tinted lens
Psyshock
Ice beam
Air slash/ Shadow ball/ Flash cannon
Energy ball

Someone said to leave Tinted lens to Venomoth- I say this is better (Though I wish that Mewtwo got this ability, 'all seeing eyes for combat', y'know?)
Psyshock and Ice beam have perfect synergy with the ability. The rest are fillers, but most of them are decent enough to try.

If you really want a cool name and set combo, wait 'til Frosslass. I got an awesome set name for that. Next week: Frosslass or Jynx. PLEASE!

I didn't say I recommended Flash Cannon, though. I merely stated facts about it in relation to why one would use it over HP (Fighting).

Not facts, opinion. And on topic of Flash Cannon.. you are wrong. There is virtually no reason to use Flash Cannon if HP Fighting is usable. Sorry, hitting Lunatone harder is not a good reason.

PhilosophicalPsychologica

hehe, I'm pretty strained on time right now so I'll keep this concise

Just as Alomomola is a ripoff of Luvdisc, Sigilyph is an "evolution" of Unown.
Magic Guard outranks Wonder Skin. Tinted Lens is plausible when going offensive.

The most common set I've seen is Psycho Shift Flame Orb, Cosmic Power, Roost, Stored Power.
Other possible moves are Calm Mind, Hypnosis, and Whirlwind. Siggy is extremely unique in both its typing and the moves it has access too.

In comparison to Xatu:
Xatu is more of a supporter Pokemon, with moves like Wish and Baton Pass and U-turn. Siggy is more selfish and also more offensively-based. It is notable a few of Xatu's more useful moves are incompatible with Magic Bounce. Siggy does get Whirlwind over Xatu, though.

Of course, Magic Bounce is meant to allow Xatu to punish the opponent for using Other moves. Magic Guard is just a protection effect for Siggy exclusively. This can be seen in how Xatu can completely block the opponent from using Stealth Rock when used properly, while Siggy can allow the opponent to use SR, just not to be harmed by SR itself. With this in mind, clearly Xatu is more necessary if you intend to switch often and lack some Rock resistances, whilst Siggy intends to stay outside its Poke Ball for much of the game.

Xatu's only higher stat is Attack, which should rarely matter outside of Choice Band Xatu. Both Pokemon are also surprisingly fast, with Siggy just nudging out in Speed. In terms of Trick Room, I would usually say I would prefer to take Xatu. Siggy is plausible in itself to run Life Orbed Trick Room.

In terms of Siggy's most popular set, the Psycho Shifter, Dark-Types pose the greatest threat, especially Special Attackers, or most of all, Sableye or Houndoom.

I also don't see why Flash Cannon is becoming such a debate.
If you want a supplementary attack, at least consider Air Slash. If not that, please at least honour Siggy's vast moveset by teaching it Ice Beam, Energy Ball, Shadow Ball, anything that has better Type coverage than Steel. I'd rather use Swagger than Flash Cannon.

Last edited:

spuds4ever

This guy has been famous for frustrating a lot of lower tier players since the day he arrived.

I'm not going to write out my set, as it's already been written down a few times but I believe the best is simple old flame orb, max speed and HP, roost, CP, SP, and Psycho shift or air slash (use leftovers if the latter is being used).

Countering the totempole: Whimsicott is a great counter to him or anything with a very fast taunt. Taunt him quickly before he gets a lot of CP boosts and his SP is still weak and switch to something that can hit him hard such as aggron.

If you don't want taunt, then something with guts also does a good job, such as swellow. Plain old phazing does the job too, drapion especially, as he has taunt and whirlwind and can set t-spikes while sigiliyph is left helpless.

Using him: He is best used in UU and RU where he belongs. In OU, there are too many things that can prey on him easily before he gets a lot of boosts up, such as terrakion and scizor.

Ilan

Here's a note: since it is weak to stealth rock... no reason to use something that isn't magic guard it's like using tyranitar with unnerve or sableye with stall.. no reason AT ALL!
If it had rapid spin it would be so much better... oh well.

all the viable sets were posted (too lazy to check)

so main sets: choice specs and the stored power sets being pretty awesome on sigilyph

about the set names Machu Pichu maybe...

TimmahX

Sorry I'm late for set names but...

- It has the power! - CP+SP set
- Third Eye of Choice - Choice Specs
- Where is the neck? - Choice Scarf

Yeah some stink. Being completely serious with the first one though.

SwiftGrovyle

Official POTW Fact Checker
Sorry I'm late for set names but...

- It has the power! - CP+SP set
- Third Eye of Choice - Choice Specs
- Where is the neck? - Choice Scarf

Yeah some stink. Being completely serious with the first one though.

Neck? This thing is an automation of flight. A 'robot' of ancient times, with the ability to fly. Not to mention a Phsycic type. I did mention 'all seeing' in my last post. Why would you need a Neck??!!
Sorry, but when you are all seeing, you might understand. (not saying that I am though...)

As for the set names, the first one is good. The second is ok, it beats mine with my reference to Toy Story. Still, one of these days we should put that somewhere...

Counters
Dark types mostly. They can easily take the main STAB move- Psyshock or Stored power. Taunt can be a nusaince if you're not choiced.

Interesting trick in doubles
Skill swap with a hipnodown(screw spelling) and give it magic guard. One of the hippo's main troubles is being toxic/burn stalled anyway. You can earthquake in the mean time. The best part is if someone tries to ruin your weather, you reset it with the ability swap. No switching.

Zachmac

As for the set names, the first one is good. The second is ok, it beats mine with my reference to Toy Story. Still, one of these days we should put that somewhere...
Next time we get a dark type or ghost type, the set should be called "Evil Smells Like Strawberries".
Using him: He is best used in UU and RU where he belongs. In OU, there are too many things that can prey on him easily before he gets a lot of boosts up, such as terrakion and scizor.
I disagree. It can work in just about any tier, I've tested it.

Still don't believe me? Gamefreak made it into 30th place on Smogon using one. It's the second team listed.
Skill swap with a hipnodown(screw spelling) and give it magic guard. One of the hippo's main troubles is being toxic/burn stalled anyway. You can earthquake in the mean time. The best part is if someone tries to ruin your weather, you reset it with the ability swap. No switching.
Yes, Hippowdon is weak to toxic, but who the heck would use toxic stall in double battles? Burn maybe, but toxic?

Last edited:

Melonhead215

"That one guy"
Kinda sounding like a noob here (I am, only a handful of Wi-Fi battles, mostly losses) But what is the RU?

There arn't many good ideas for sets that haven't been said, most of the ones I was gonna post were just recently said. I guess 252/252 defences with stored power and cosmic power would be nice. "Triple eyed flying wall with protective stars"
Try putting that image in your head.

Zachmac

Kinda sounding like a noob here (I am, only a handful of Wi-Fi battles, mostly losses) But what is the RU?
Rarely Used. It's a tier introduced in 5th gen between NU and UU.

Melonhead215

"That one guy"
Rarely Used. It's a tier introduced in 5th gen between NU and UU.

Oh, thanks. Learned most of the competitive stuff back in late 4th Gen >_>

Status
Not open for further replies.