• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #61

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Kind of got a special one here...a three-for-one

This week, our focus is upon the Pokémon Gorebyss and its brother Huntail

368.png
367.png

Gorebyss and Huntail are great Pokémon, and capable of a lot, being one of the only Pokémon with the Shell Smash / Baton Pass combo.

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/368.shtml and http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/367.shtml

In addition to this, pre-evolution corner is one of the awesome ones where it gets its own article.

366.png

Clamperl is capable of doing some decent damage and is rather bulky

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/366.shtml

Ttar's stone edge

League Legend
Gorebyss is in RU at last check, and hasn't really shone till Gamefreak gifted it with Shell smash+hydration which is just brilliant IMO

Smash sweep (original name right)
Timid nature
evs; 4 hp 252 Spd 252 SPa (fairly standard)
Item: life orb/ lefties/white herb
~ Shell Smash
~ Surf
~ Ice Beam
~ Hidden Power Grass
Pretty standard. Smash, then demolish what ever you can. Herb to prevent the defence drop. Hp grass for quaggy and lanturn who else destroy this thing. Other moves for cover, surf over Hydro as it has bad accuracy

Other sets.
Quite obliviously, a baton pass set could be used, but beware of phasers as passing is quite common.

Other moves: hydro pump has been mentioned but shaky accuracy is off putting
HP fire for grass, but Quaggy and lanturn would have a field day with this thing.
Physical should be avoided, as it has terrible atk.

Counters: Quaggy and lanturn, mentioned it too much.
That's all chaps, overall this thing is a devastator if teams are unprepared for it. Expect a lot of phase pokemon needed for this thing

Next weeks: Camerupt.

Last edited:

Ttar's stone edge

League Legend
Also, what the hell is wrong with the latest POTW? It has roselia and budew sets on the bottom from roserades set... 0.o

Lucario At Service

Calm Trainer
Here is a set for Gorebyss,

Ability: Swift Swim
Nature: Modest / Timid
Hold Item: ???
Ev's: 4 HP / 252 S.Atk / 252 Spd

- Shell Smash
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Shadow Ball (or) HP [Electric/Ground/Grass]

Last edited:

Monster Guy

Fairy type Trainer
Item: White Herb
Ability: Hydration/Swift Swim
Nature: Calm
252 HP 232 Spd 24 SpD
Baton Pass
Shell Smash
Surf
HP Electric/HP Grass/Ice Beam

Smash pass set. This is banned in RU, but is allowed in UU and above. The idea is to pass the boosts from Shell Smash to a sweeper. She can also take advantage of the boosts herself.

Last edited:

Snorby

Snorby
Next Week: Raticate

Anyway, I'm goin to do the ultimate set for a Clampearl so watch out

ULTIMATE SET FOR A CLAMPEARL
Clampearl@Wise Glasses/Leftovers/Life Orb
252 Special attack, 252 Speed
Timid
-Shell Smash
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-HP Electric/HP Grass/HP Fire

Shell Smash is amazing. Doubles offensive stats at the cost of -1 in defensive ones. Clampearl is also fairly bulky after the Smash, so it can actually take a hit. Surf gets STAB, Ice Beam for Grasses and Flyers and Grounds (Oh My!) and other scum. HP electric gets that cool pseudo-boltbeam, HP grass kills Water-Grounds, while Hp Fire kills Ferroseed.

Psycho Soul

Psycho Trainer
Gorebyss

Item: Leftover
Ability:Swift Swim
Nature: Modest
252 S.Attack , 252 Speed
Baton Pass
Shell Smash
Surf
Substitute

Clamperl :

Item : Evolite
Ability : Shell Armor
Nature : Bold\Calm
252 Defense , 252 S.Defense
Aqua Ring
Toxic
Whirlpool
Confuse Ray

Ilan

Statwise gorebyss is decent though it have bad speed and HP it's defense and special attack are pretty high for a low tier pokemon smashpass is it's main niche but it is able to use SS its' self.

hydration or swift swim: if used in drizzle teams then use hydration as SS+drizzle is banned in rain dance teams (there are some) use swift swim for more speed.

here is a set which with rain support is very dangerous:

@life orb/white herb/dump rock (the one which prolongs RD)
Modest
40 HP/216 sp.attack/252 speed
Swift swim/Hydration
-Shell Smash
-Surf/Hydro Pump
-Ice Beam
-HP electric/grass/rain dance

this is a sweeping set without smashpass (which was banned for a reason in RU...
it's very dangerous 406 speed and 608 special attack after 1 shell smash scary huh? (you can also put the HP evs in special attck but I think it is strong enough...

the set is pretty clear... just sayin' rain dance + shell smash + swift swim + hydro pump= GG

infernape612

Village Idiot
My first set, so... Don't be too harsh!

Stall Clamperl
Leftovers
Calm
164 HP/192 Def/252 Sp. Def
Rest
Protect
Sleep Talk
Surf

Clamperl is't really constricted to LC, since it can cause severe damage in NU and even RU with a DeepSeaTooth

Calmperl @ DeepSeaTooth
Evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Nature: Timid (+Spe, - Atk)
Ability: Shell Armor / Rattled
~ Shell Smash
~ Surf
~ Ice Beam
~ Hidden Power [Grass] / [Electric] / [Fire]

Clamperl's SpA reaches a devestating 988 after one Shell Smash with the DeepSeaTooth, and can outspeed all positive base 113 speed pokemon and lower (bar scarfers), and can pull off devestating sweeps in the lower tiers. Surf is STAB, and crushes all that don't resist it. Ice Beam is for Grass-types who can sponge your Surfs, while the Hidden Power depends on preferance. Grass hits troublesome Water-types, most notably Quagsire and othe Water / Grounds. Hidden Power Electric also hits Waters, but misses out on Water / Grounds to hit pokemon like Mantine. HP Fire is there to hit bulky Steels. Shell Armor is preffered, as you don't want a crit ruining your set up, but Rattled can net you a nice speed boost if facing an unexpecting opponent. Eviolite can be used to ease set up, but is pretty much useless after you set up the Shell Smash. Modest can get Clamperl to a point where it can OHKO most of the metagame, but it really needs the speed provided by Timid.

Ilan

OH I forgot something... rest + hydration + drizzle/rain dance = full healing not like it can take hits but.. it can heal life orb damage...

Stall Clamperl
Leftovers
Calm
164 HP/192 Def/252 Sp. Def
Rest
Protect
Sleep Talk
Surf

no point to protect in a sleep talk set
clampearl want's eviolite most of the time

I was considering that. It's still on the RNG and I don't want to overwork Blue Harvest

Actually we should do Huntail. Gorebyss is basically Shell Smash + Rain Dance sets and Clamperl is just NU / LC Shell Smash so maybe Huntail will make this less boring.

Actually we should do Huntail. Gorebyss is basically Shell Smash + Rain Dance sets and Clamperl is just NU / LC Shell Smash so maybe Huntail will make this less boring.

I agree that we shoudl do all 3 they all have similar stratgies so i think we should do all 3 there is my 2 cents

natrivv

Gorebyss Grace

Ability: Hydration/Swift Swim
Nature: Calm
252 HP 232 Spd 24 SpD
Baton Pass
Shell Smash
iron defence/aqua ring
scald

This is my thought about smashpass is with shell smash many become that are good, but just need a little more speed or attack to be a sweeper suddenly get it. If your planning on useing a hp high sweeper go for aqua ring if not go for iron defence which any poke would like. After a shellsmash The Special attack should be high enough that a lower base scald will still do a nice amount of damage along with a good chance of burn to ruin physical sweepers.

Just my thoughts but I don't do much competive battleing much.

Charizard Lizzy

BARRELS!!!
Gorebyss? Ah whoop-de-doo, I found this thing iffy even in Ruby and Sapphire – what’s that? Shell Smash and Baton Pass at its side?

Putting that last paragraph aside, Gorebyss does appear to have just about everything a standard sweeper needs – A nice base 114 Special Attack, Swift Swim to double and fix that pitiful base 52 Speed, and Shell Smash, one of the greatest setup moves around. In addition, base 105 Defense adds a little extra bulk to this sweeper – but I stress only a little, because 55 HP isn’t going to back up much. Still, Gorebyss fits the standard sweeper quota and even has a couple unique tools of its own to use over other Water-types.

Abilities:
Swift Swim – Doubles Gorebyss’ Speed in Rain. For an offensive attacker, Gorebyss needs this; even if Shell Smash will do the same effect without this ability, bringing Gorebyss out with Drizzle Politoed can give it even one crucial turn to setup for the battle.

Hydration – Cures all status problems on Gorebyss when it’s raining. This is another very nice ability to use, and if you’re trying to pull off a Baton Pass set, not having to worry about passing a bad condition to your teammates is invaluable.

;368;
Gorebyss SMASH!
Item: Life Orb/Focus Sash/White Herb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Sp. Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Nature: Timid (+ Spd, - Atk) / Modest (+ Sp. Atk, - Atk)
- Shell Smash
- Surf/Scald
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Use Shell Smash to double your offensive stats and Speed, then prepare to sweep. Surf gets STAB and great power, but if you don’t want to harm your partner in doubles (although as I write this I don't think Gorebyss would do well in doubles), Scald is another good option. Ice Beam is the standard partner with any Water-type attack, getting rid of Grass-types that would pose a threat otherwise. Hidden Power Grass prevents other Water-types from resisting and stalling you.

There are a few item choices that would go well with this set. Life Orb gives even more power to your attacks, Focus Sash keeps you alive from a fatal hit (mostly while setting up Shell Smash), and the White Herb rids Gorebyss of the Defense and Special Defense drops from Shell Smash.

;368;
I have Shell Smash! Pass it on! (Baton Pass set)
Item: White Herb/Focus Sash
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 Sp. Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Nature: Timid/Modest
- Shell Smash
- Baton Pass
- Surf/Scald
- Ice Beam/Hidden Power [Grass]

This set plans for Gorebyss to mainly function as an assistant to a stronger member of the team with Shell Smash and Baton Pass. Use Shell Smash to double Attack, Special Attack, and Speed, receive no reduction in defenses with the White Herb; however, being Swift Swim won't be around to help Gorebyss' sad base 52 Speed, the Focus Sash can keep it alive just long enough to use Baton Pass the next turn. Finally, Baton Pass the boost to someone else. Hydration is recommended in this set because Gorebyss won’t end up passing a status condition to its teammates, which would create complications otherwise. Shall Gorebyss be placed in a corner and need to attack, Surf/Scald and Ice Beam/HP Grass are there like from the previous set.

;368;
LOOK AT ALL THE STATS I GIVE! (Gimmicky set)
Ability: Swift Swim/Hydration
EVs: 252 Spd/252 HP / 4 Def
Nature: Timid
- Baton Pass
- Shell Smash
- Iron Defense
- Amnesia

Lol, this is a stupid set. Like, really stupid – you’re Taunt bait, no questions asked. Plus, being Gorebyss is so frail, where would you get the time to use all these moves before getting plowed over? But this set is intended more as a list to show just how versatile Gorebyss is in the way of what it can pass to its teammates. Shell Smash and White Herb have been explained before. Iron Defense doubles Defense. Amnesia doubles Special Defense. Gorebyss literally can double any stat both offensively and defensively, and that’s pretty amazing. Too bad it’s so weak defensively itself. If you can manage to mess up your opponent to the point they can’t harm Gorebyss as it uses this set, you truly deserve a cookie.

Last edited:

ClefairyRox

Nintendo Fan
Gorebyss and Clamperl, eh? I wonder why they didn't throw in Huntail as well... Well, whatever. I'll put Gorebyss on this post and Clamperl on another.

Gorebyss would probably be a generic Water type Pokemon if not for two things: Shell Smash and Baton Pass. Alongside its sister Pokemon Huntail, it is the only Pokemon that gets both moves. Okay, there is Smeargle, but Smeargle gets every move... Unfortunately, the use of both moves on the same set is banned in NU and RU, removing Gorebyss' niche there. That said, Shell Smash can be used on its own to great effect with Gorebyss' decent Special movepool, and it can Baton Pass other things. Because of this, I'd say Gorebyss can be used in any tier to at least decent effect, although this depends on the set it runs.

Recommended tiers: NU-Uber

Swift Swim doubles Gorebyss' Speed in rain. As Gorebyss' base speed is pretty pitiful at base 52, this is a major help. It can give Gorebyss up to 446 Speed, and if you take Shell Smash or Agility into the equation as well, it becomes nearly unmatched in Speed. Of course, if you do use this ability, you can't have a Drizzler on the same team.
Hydration works well for a more defensive Gorebyss. It has a great Defense stat and decent Sp. Defense; even with poor HP this ability can make a good Rain-Rest set. And, you can use it with Drizzle.

Gorebyss' movepool is shallow, making it predictable, but it's good at what it does. The Shell Smash set is standard now, working off Gorebyss' great Sp. Attack and increasing its poor Speed to great heights. The downside is the defense drop, but all Shell Smashers suffer that weakness. Surf or Hydro Pump provide great STAB power, while Ice Beam provides good coverage. Shadow Ball, Psychic, and Hidden Power can be used for filler.

Gorebyss can Baton Pass Aqua Ring, Substitute, Agility, Barrier/Iron Defense, and Amnesia. It is unfortunately outclassed in all of these cases. Shell Smash Baton Passing is where its niche lies, although you can only use that set in UU and higher. As I said before, a Rain-Rest set with Hydration can be used, but only in the lower tiers as Vaporeon majorly outclasses it in OU and Ubers.

Countering Gorebyss: Gorebyss doesn't have much HP and its Sp. Defense is average at best. Special Grass and Electric type moves will destroy it quickly. Beware of Shell Smash sets; they can leave you reeling in pain quickly. Remember that Gorebyss becomes quite fragile after even one Shell Smash though, so taking it out with priority moves can work. Ferroseed and Ferrothorn are probably the best counters to this pink fish, as they can take anything except Hidden Power Fire.
Getting rid of any Rain is strongly recommended, as both of Gorebyss' abilities rely on Rain.

Last edited:
lol, I'm just going to add Huntail in. Its not a big deal, I just don't want to get stuck doing a Huntail-only POTW a few weeks down the road.

Smash Pass
Gorebyss @ Leftovers
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Spd / 140 Def / 118 SpDef
Calm Nature (+SpDef, -Atk) or Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Shell Smash
- Baton Pass
- Confuse Ray
- Aqua Ring / Substitute

Confuse Ray gives the foe a 50% chance of attacking itself which might let you get away with Baton Pass. Aqua Ring and Substitute can also be BP'd.

Smash Pass 2
Gorebyss @ Focus Sash
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 HP / 4 SpDef
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Shell Smash
- Baton Pass
- Protect
- Filler

Unlike the previous set, this set isn't built to last. You Shell Smash and live a hit with your Focus Sash then Baton Pass. Simple as that. Protect is used for scouting. You're a lot more vulnerable to priority attacks but you'll end up Baton Passing more often because of the Sash.

Status
Not open for further replies.