• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #62

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Time for the next entry

We're doing another classic Pokémon this week; Shuckle

213.png

Shuckle has beastly defences and, with Power Trick, can sweep and destroy nearly anything

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/213.shtml

Go nuts

I don't really use Shuckle, but here's a set:

Attack Shuckle!

- Power Trick
- Gyro Ball
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Basic set. It can do decent damage. You also have the good 'ole Ground and Rock move combo.

Edit: First post. :)

Vandslaux

Overview:

Shuckle may look like a great defensive powerhouse, but defenses are where it stops for poor Shuckle. Weakness to Bullet Punch, Stone Edge, and a weakness to SR really hold it back. It's downright pitiful HP is also a negative point. Basically, it's the opposite of Wailord and Drifblim: Huge defenses, terrible HP. It also has a terrible attacking movepool and terrible offensive stats. But it's not all bad for Shuckle. Base 230 defenses is nothing to mess with, and has effectively base 417 SpD in Sand, assuming max investment.

Abilities:

Gluttony: Don't even bother, lol
Sturdy: Use this. You can't be OHKOed (not saying he ever could..)
Contrary (DW): This would've been SO good if Shuckle got Shell Smash. Your offenses harshly fall, but you gain +1 in each defense. Too bad he doesn't, making this useless.

Sets:

The unbreakable wall
Shuckle @Leftovers
Impish
252 HP/252 Def/4 SpD
Sturdy
Stealth Rock
Toxic
Struggle Bug
Power Split

Use this in Sand, though it still might be good without.

Power Trick
Shuckle @Muscle Band
Impish
252 HP/4 Atk/252 Def
Sturdy
Power Trick
Gyro Ball
Stone Edge
Earthquake

.. Seriously, though, don't use this set.

Last edited:

Asbestospoison

Excellent Driver
Shuckle. What a... unique Pokemon. Time to make a gimmicky set that will have next to no application, ever!

Shuckle @ Choice Band
252 HP/ 252 Att/ 4 Def, 0 Speed IVs
Brave
Sturdy
-Gyro Ball
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Return
This set takes advantage of Shuckles unique attack stat, and boosts it. Max attack and minimum speed allow it to take advantage of Gyro Ball. Stone Edge is a powerful STAB attack, able to 2HKO Modest Eviolite Magikarp. Earthquake completes the edgequake combo, and Return provides good neutral coverage to all that resist it's incredible strength.

Last edited:

Vandslaux

..Seriously, though, don't use Power Trick. Sweep nearly anything? Not when you're so slow.

nanoomega

ah, shuckle, how i misunderstood you in second gen. anyway it is kind of obvious that almost any set it uses will emphasize its considerable bulk. also sand is his best friend being rock type.

Toxic Stall
Leftovers
Careful
Sturdy
252 HP/252 Def/4 Sp Def
Toxic
Rest
Power Split
Wrap/Knock Off

Shuckle Attack Mode
Life Orb/Leftovers
Brave
Sturdy
252 HP/252 Atk/4 Def/0 Speed EV's
Power Trick
Stone Edge
Gyro Ball
Earthquake

The first set obviously loves sand support and is essentially shut down by taunt. The second set say "move over deoxys, there's and new heavy hitter in town." However, this set works best in rotation battles, followed by doubles and triples, due to the fact it needs trick room to function properly.

grantholomew

accually is dolan
I HATE SHUCKLE SO MUCH BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!
213.gif

The Thing That WON’T DIE EVER!
Shuckle @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP/126 Def/126 SDef
Impish (+Def, -SAtk)/Careful (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Dig
- Toxic
- Protect
- Encore/Stealth Rock/Rest
Seriously, this thing won’t die. Unless you have Seismic Toss or Night Shade because its HP sucks. Or Taunt. All in all, it’s mostly outclassed by Ferrothorn no as a defensive Pokémon, but this thing is still as annoying as hell.

Last edited:

Psycho Soul

Psycho Trainer
Shuckle can boost allies special attack ?

Ability : Contrary
Nature : Impish
Item : Leftover - Chesto Berry
EV : 252 HP , 252 Defense
- Struggle Bug
- Rest
- Stealth Rock \ Toxic \ Protect \ Knock Off \ Encore

Well , this Strategy work only in double and treble. You need a pokemon with Skill Swap or Role Play so you can take the ability , Contrary. Then you can boost your allies special attack by using Struggle Bug. Rest to keep Shuckle healthy. And you can add the other moves which can be useful.

Striker X

Certified dumb user
In doubles it can do decently with EQ until a Flying type/Levitate user/Priority abuser/Choice scarf user comes by.

Trick room always goes last and Shuckle's slow speed makes sure it's sturdy defenses are still up while it's getting pummeled, so it has a chance at setting up Trick room + Power trick, but since it's doubles, you'll have to really rely on OHKOs on both ends of your team because after that, a good hit and Shuckle is definitely dead.

Cryochronic

Shuckle is one of my favorite Pokemon and I've actually been able to use it successfully with an original set. It works best with its Special Defense boosted in a Sandstorm causing additional passive damage, so Tyranitar/Hippowdon/Hippopotas have great synergy with it. Mind you, this set hates Steel and Poison types, so Magnezone and Heatran are also good teammates.

ToxicWrap
Shuckle@ Grip Claw/Leftovers
Nature:Impish
EV: 252 HP, 192 Def, 64 Spd
-Wrap
-Toxic
-Power Split
-Rest

IVs: 0 Atk, 0 SpA

Wrap acts as a pseudo-trapping move that causes passive damage, complimented by Toxic and Sandstorm damage. It also allows you to not be completely walled by Steel types and Poison types.

Toxic is toxic, enough said. It's passive damage that racks up to take down your opponent.

Power Split averages your measly attack with your opponent's, crippling them. When used in conjunction with Wrap, they're stuck and unable to do much damage to you.

Rest: Reliable recovery, status remover. After using the other 3 moves, you won't have much left to do. Rest heal you and prevents you from overusing and PP draining your moves in a stall war. Very few things can 2 or 3ko Shuckle. You'll be able to set up, then Rest in most situations without much of a problem.

Countering Shuckle:
Gengar completely walls the set and most Steel and Poison types mostly wall it as well.

Vandslaux

Shuckle can boost allies special attack ?

Ability : Contrary
Nature : Impish
Item : Leftover - Chesto Berry
EV : 252 HP , 252 Defense
- Struggle Bug
- Rest

Well , this Strategy work only in double and treble. You need a pokemon with Skill Swap or Role Play so you can take the ability , Contrary. Then you can boost your allies special attack by using Struggle Bug. Rest to keep Shuckle healthy. And you can add the other moves which can be useful.

Contrary doesn't affect stat changes CAUSED by you, it only affects stat changes against you.

Someone make a moveset and call it everyday I'm shuckllin. :D

Eckhartnw7

Friends Forever?

I've always loved Shuckle, I mean it's such a derp and has amazing defenses. With Contrary I've found a new way to annoy people, however only use this if you have two Shuckles, one with Contrary. xD

Shuckle 1
Rest
Struggle Bug
Guard Split
Power Split
Item: Leftovers
Nature: Bold-Max out Defense and HP for durability

Shuckle 2
Rest
Protect
Power Split
Sludge Bomb
Item: Leftovers
Nature: Modest- Max out Sp.Atk and HP

Okay, so the point is to have one Shuckle keep struggle bugging the other until you max out Sp. Atk, then use Sludge Bomb~

Rest is for obvious healing reasons. There's also Guard Split which could share one Shuckle's defense with the other. Power Split gives the Shuckle's attack to someone else before Struglle Bugging. Protect is just there, for filler actually.

This is a total gimmick, but it's fun. :D

Last edited:

Serpentine

Pokemon Breeder
Contrary doesn't affect stat changes CAUSED by you, it only affects stat changes against you.
That is exactly how Contrary works... Superpower Spinda gets +Atk,+Def. Leaf Storm Serpentine gets +2 SpAtk. Growl on a Shuckle gets +Atk. Anything that would raise/lower stats does the reverse.

ClefairyRox

Nintendo Fan
Shuckle is a beastly defensive beast. Its HP is horrible at Base 20 but Base 230 defenses apiece more than make up for it. Depending on EV investment and Nature it can boost one of its Defenses to more than 600 or around 500 apiece. That is higher than any other Pokemon in the game. Not to mention its gets that Sp. Defense boosg from Sandstorm... Shuckle's other stats, however, are horrible. Base 10 in each offense is wimpy at best and Base 5 Speed makes molasses seem fast. However, Shuckle does have two tricks that work perfectly with its poor offensive stats: Power Trick and Power Split. The former requires Trick Room support to pull off successfully, but the latter can be used in any situation. I think Shuckle's bulk enables it to be used in most tiers.
Recommended tiers: NU-OU

Sturdy is the ability to use. When Shuckle has full HP, it will survive an attack that would normally OHKO it with 1 HP. A huge improvement from 4th gen.
Gluttony is totally useless. No one uses pinch berries on Shuckle.
Shuckle is one of the only Pokemon to get Contrary. All of Shuckle's stat boosts become stat drops and vice versa. However, it lacks any moves that can benefit from it. It could be used in Double and Triple battles, but I think Sturdy is still a stronger choice.

Defensive/Supportive Shuckle should not be running offensive moves unless they have Power Split. Most of their damage will come from Toxic. Rest is important for recovery, but unlike most Pokemon Shuckle can usually survive the two turns of Sleep with HP to spare. Encore is a great choice since Shuckle is often used as set-up fodder; locking a foe into a single move is always great. Shuckle can also set up Stealth Rocks (provided its a 4th gen Shuckle), and it has the bulk to set them up multiple times throughout a match. Knock Off can be used as well.

As I said before, Shuckle's trump cards are Power Trick and Power Split. Power Split evenly divides Shuckle's Attack and Sp. Attack with the target, which can be downright crippling to them and usually forces switches. It also beefs up Shuckle's offensive stats by an enormous amount, making attacking viable. Power Trick switches Shuckle's Attack and Defense stats, making it a super-slow Pokemon with incredible Attack, paper-like Defense, and super-high Sp. Defense. It can only be viable in Trick Room.

Shuckle has only a couple of offensive options to use alongside its trumps. It gets the EdgeQuake combo, which is always nice. Gyro Ball works perfectly with Shuckle's snail-like speed. All that's left is Return/Frustration.

I saw an interesting Shuckle set on Youtube that used Rollout, Defense Curl (from 3rd gen tutors), Power Split, and Rest. The Defense Curl/Rollout combo combined with the Attack increases from Power Split allowed Shuckle to pull off some respectable damage. And if it got too weak, it would just Rest.

Double and Triple options: I think multi-Pokemon battles are where Shuckle shines the most. I myself have a Shuckle that uses Power Split and Guard Split. A Pokemon that has shared defenses with Shuckle becomes extremely hard to KO unless Toxic or a Phazing move is used. You can also use Trick Room and Power Trick on the same turn, unlike in Singles.

Countering Shuckle: It's virtually impossible to OHKO a Shuckle with no stat alterations (in fact, I think the only ones who even have a shot are +6 Haxorus, banded Zekrom, and Specs Reshiram). Heck, it's hard to even 3HKO this thing. However, Shuckle does have several disadvantages. It's weak to Stealth Rock, which really cripples its bulk. Its only means of recovery is Rest, and with the new Sleep mechanics in 5th gen, it can end up sleeping for a long time. Finally, it usually can't do much directly to its opponent.

If Power Split or Power Trick are used, however, things get tricky. Since Power Trick only has a shot of working in Trick Room, and Shuckle will be out-slowing everything in it, physical priority moves are your best shot. Bullet Punch, Mach Punch...whatever. Also, since Shuckle needs time to set up, two turns of TR will always be wasted in a Single Battle (one to switch to Shuckle, and the other to set up Power Trick).

Taunt completely ruins all variants of Shuckle. It NEEDS its non-offensive moves to function properly. Without them, it becomes helpless.

Last edited:

Ilan

Someone make a moveset and call it everyday I'm shuckllin. :D

Great idea!

Everyday I'm Shucklling
@leftovers
Impish/Bold/ the nature with - speed + defense (forgot it's name)
Sturdy
252 HP/252 Defense/4 Sp.defense
-Toxic
-Knock off
-encore/safe guard/power split/sandstorm/stealth rock
-Rest/Protect

Support shunkle: Toxic is the best way to beat a foe by shunkle means.
Knock off is to troll taunters by removing their precious leftovers/life orb/lum berry anything..

The third slot is for supporting the team: encore is good for: stalling and letting a team mate set up, safe guard protect you and your team from satus for 5 turns.. useful, power split (> bug struggle) cut all offenses, sand storm is so special atacks act to you like they act to blissey- useless.. and stealth rock is... stealth rock

the next spot is for staling rest is shunkle's sole recovery move and protect helps with: predicting and toxic damage.

now DANCE shunkle!

Last edited:

Serpentine

Pokemon Breeder
Power Shuckle
@Leftovers
Sturdy
252 HP/128 Def/128 SpDef

Power Split
Power Trick
Earthquake/Stone Edge/Rock Slide/Stealth Rock/Body Slam
Earthquake/Stone Edge/Rock Slide/Stealth Rock/Body Slam

First you use Power Split to split your horrible attack with the opponent's, ruining their stats. Then Power Trick. Now you don't have horrible defenses and you still have a super powerful attack. Then you basically rape the opponent with an onslaught of physical attacks. Earthquake because it's Earthquake. Stone Edge is your strongest STAB but has poor accuracy so you have Rock Slide which is much weaker but has better accuracy. Stealth Rock is always good to set up. Finally, it'd be good to pull of a parahax so I threw in Body Slam.

Last edited:

sbktdreed

Veteran Trainer
Personal Moveset
Gluttony w Sitrus Berry OR Contrary w Focus Sash/Leftovers/Muscle Band/Rocky Helmet
Bug Bite
Stone Edge/Smack Down
Earthquake
Power Trick

Partners
Reflect/Light Screen-users
Sunny Day-users against Water-types
Trick Room-users

Countering
Besides Steel, Rock, and Water-type attacks, it's recommended to use:
High critical hit moves like Air Cutter, Crabhammer, Cross Chop, Drill Run, Leaf Blade, Night Slash, Psycho Cut, Razor Leaf, Shadow Claw, Stone Edge, Frost Breath, and Storm Throw; equip with additional items that increase the chances like Scope Lens.
Sniper-users espically Water-types
Set damage attacks like Dragon Rage, Night Shade, and Seismic Toss
Moves that lower Shuckle's defenses, espically when Power Trick is used, like Crunch, Iron Tail, and Razor Shell.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.