• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #62

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rayofquazar

I think that Knock Off is the best taunt-bait avoidance move for defensive sets...cuz, seriously now, a full power Gyro Ball coming off base 10 attack isn't enough to grant it a spot over the utility of removing items

Sure knock off is a very good option... But a power split boosted max power gyro ball does significantly more damage...

Anyway shuckle was not made to attack so knock off is defenitely worth the moveslot.

Smugleaf-pwns-all

Here comes the storm
"Endolith! The Poison Hugger!"

Nature: Impish
Ability: Sturdy
Item: Grip Claw
EV Spread: 248 HP, 216 Def, 44 Sp. Def

Moves:
Wrap
Encore
Toxic
Rest

Ok first Shuckle MUST be paired with a Sandstorm user more likely Tyranitar or Hippowdon for the Sp.def boost, this is why you put most EVs into Def and HP. Move-wise the only direct damage move is Wrap, Yes it is a weak move but you won't be using it for power wise but to keep Pokémon in the field, so you try and use Wrap on a switch to someone who thinks they can get a free boost from Shuckle, that’s where Encore kicks into play for example the Opponent uses a Dragon Dance Gyarados well it will be struck into Dragon Dance and it can't leave the battle, use set up Toxic and let the pain strike, With damage of Sand, Wrap and Toxic going at it per turn it last only a few rounds. Most important is the recovery move known as Rest, Yes it will leave Shuckle open for two turns without the help of sleep talk but with it High Def and Sand Boosted Sp.def it might be able to stay in and continue to stall, or you can use Wish help or Heal Bell/Aromatherapy if you want Shuckle out of sleep earlier than said. This set needs a lot of prediction so if you’re going to attempt this move set I'd be careful but have fun stalling with the Epic Wall.

Zachmac

I think that Knock Off is the best taunt-bait avoidance move for defensive sets...cuz, seriously now, a full power Gyro Ball coming off base 10 attack isn't enough to grant it a spot over the utility of removing items
Sure knock off is a very good option... But a power split boosted max power gyro ball does significantly more damage...

Anyway shuckle was not made to attack so knock off is defenitely worth the moveslot.
There is no dodging taunt for Shuckle. With that attack stat, it'll be taunt bait anyway.

Charizard Lizzy

BARRELS!!!
Hmm, I realized I didn’t consider using Power Split in a set:

Shuckle Split
Item: Leftovers/Grip Claw
EVs: 252 Def / 252 Sp. Def / 4 HP
Nature: Relaxed (+Def, -Spd)

- Wrap
- Power Spilt
- Toxic
- Smack Down / Sand Tomb / Knock Off

The idea behind this set is to first trap the opponent with Wrap or Sand Tomb (or both if you really want to, as the two can be stacked); Wrap has much better accuracy, but is stopped by Ghost-types. Sand Tomb is stopped by Levitators and has an iffy 85 accuracy. Personally, I recommend Wrap over Sand Tomb.

From there, use Power Split to virtually cripple the opponent’s offenses; considering how pathetic Shuckle’s Attack and Special Attack are, the opponent will receive a harsh reduction while in a way Shuckle gains a significant boost when used on a sweeper. This method is far safer to use in comparison to the Power Trick method. Plus, with Wrap in effect, the opponent will not be able to escape this change for 4-5 turns.

Toxic will deal heavy damage on the opponent over a short span of time. Smack Down can be used for STAB as well as rid Flying-types and Levitators of their Ground immunity. Knock Off essentially cancels the opponent’s held item, although it doesn’t have much base power.

Leftovers is the standard held item to recover health to Shuckle. However, if you really want to stretch using Wrap, hold the Grip Claw, which will add 5 extra turns to Wrap’s effects.

Shuckle

EverydayI'mShucklin'
EEeEEEEEeeeeEEEEEeeEEEEEEEEEEE!

Shuckle I love you.

Anyway...these are the sets I run the best. Doubles is excellent for Shuckle because it allows him to get completely set up and ready in a short amount of time.

He pairs extremely well with Medicham and Smeargle, due to those two's ability to learn both Power Trick and Baton Pass. No coincidence, folks. Simply prepare a Telepathy Musharna to Trick Room and you've got a workable doubles (or even triples or rotation) team. Tyranitar and Hippowdon are a must-have for any Shuckle-blessed team because of their infinite Sandstorm.

Sturdy will protect Shuckle from OHKO's which, surprisingly, is useful if Shuckle is undamaged with Power Trick. Definitely an improvement over before.

Here's my singles set. I've found that Shuckle works well as an almost gimmicky last-man effort and it can actually take out any Pokemon ever provided it only has to take out one. Its not-to-be-trifled-with defenses, coupled with the moves below, are enough to defeat anything one on one.

As a side note, I have run this set in Ubers and believe me when I say that this team runs everyone else into the ground. Power Split cripples legendaries' attack and gives it to Shuckle, allowing the silly noodle rock to completely devastate. His movepool is godly for Sandstorm - if only he'd received Sand Force/Rush instead of some lame Contrary power. It's not even logical! Hydration, Magic Guard, Wonder Guard, or Sand [noun] would have been much better choices for abilities and they would totally have made sense, but instead...psh. Whatever. Maybe next gen they will see the error of their ways.

Shuckle @ [item] (I use either Mental Herb or Sitrus Berry personally, but almost any item will do.)
Sturdy/Gluttony (if you're using the Berry)
252 HP/252 Def/4 SpD (switch around or appropriate as you see fit. Make sure he keeps his HP high, though)
~Power Split
Interchangeable:
~Bug Bite
~Gyro Ball (place 0 IV's in speed for this)
~Earthquake
~Stone Edge
~Toxic

The objective here is not to cripple the foe so much as place Shuckle within an effective range for actually dealing damage. I find that this advantage disappears when a new foe is sent out so use Shuckle as a clean-up hitter instead of a driving force for your team.

Incidentally, giving Shuckle an evolution is the best thing Game Freak can do for it because Eviolite would make Shuckle shoot straight for Ubers.

Counters. Shuckle has no counters! No counters at all!

Just kidding. To counter a Shuckle, just use Magnezone. Suddenly, Shuckle is rendered completely and utterly ineffective for one round while it disables the Air Balloon, which is one round in which you can cripple it. While it is patently impossible to OHKO Shuckle even if Sturdy somehow didn't exist, a 2HKO is certainly possible, and a 3HKO is not ridiculous. Especially if you paralyze Shuckle and prevent it from moving. I find that Rock-types with huge offensive boosts and strong Rock moves are not conducive to survival in Shuckle terms. Other than that, just look for something that resists Shuckle's godawful movepool and use it.

(ogawdican'tbelieveI'madvisingpeopleaboutcounteringshuckle)

Pair Shuckle with things that can defeat its weaknesses (levitating steel primarily because of its resistance to everything Shuckle can use) and you should do fine. Works best against metagamers who can't understand why anyone would want to use Shuckle because they're addicted to Smogon.

EDIT: Reading through this thread makes me sad inside.

Come on, you guys. Shuckle is more than just a tool for lowering the opponent's offenses. While Knock Off, Gastro Acid, Toxic, and Power Split are really nifty as defensive tools, Shuckle has access to a few really great moves and can cover a wide variety of popular types
*Weavile turns in its sleep*
so there's really no need to senselessly hate on it. With the best defensive stats of all time, and with Power Trick the best offensive stats of all time, it is a force to be reckoned with.

Sure, I agree that it's Game Freak's superdefensive jokemon. Yes, I understand it seems about as useless as Magikarp...on the surface. If Magikarp can OHKO everything with some clever setup, think of what Shuckle could be capable!

...but I guess you're going to go back to your Choice Scarf Max Attack EV'd Swords Dance Sand Force Edge Quake Excadrill and wonder why you don't see too many Shuckles competitively.

Last edited:

Zachmac

^Though, as Jesusfreak said, Swords Dance Marowak does a better job at that.

In double battles, I like to use it as Guard Split Support.

MetalCrow

Lololololol....I love how I was specifically referring to defensive sets, and you decide to drop the gyro ball and talk about gyro ball outdamaging knock off... I mean, duh it's gonna outdamage it...knock off only has like 20 base power...

Ok, rant is done... Anywho! I really like the doubly Sand/Wrap +Binding Band idea... I think that it has potential to do greater good by abusing what Shuckle does best...staying alive and dealing consistent damage

Kraleck

Move combos for Shuckle:
-Power Split + Power Trick - Gives you a better Attack Stat to switch with your Defense Stat while crippling offensive Pokemon.
-Smack Down + Mud-Slap - Gives you an option against Flying Types.
-Gastro Acid + Mud Slap - Gives you an option against Levitate Ability Steel Types and Keen Eye/Clear Body/White Smoke Ability Pokemon.
-Gastro Acid + Knock Off - For those pesky Sticky Hold Ability Pokemon.
-Acupressure + partner's Psych Up - Random, but effective if you get the proper buffs.
-Substitute + Gluttony Ability + Acupressure + Rest - If you thought Shuckle was annoying before...

Lololololol....I love how I was specifically referring to defensive sets, and you decide to drop the gyro ball and talk about gyro ball outdamaging knock off... I mean, duh it's gonna outdamage it...knock off only has like 20 base power...

Ok, rant is done... Anywho! I really like the doubly Sand/Wrap +Binding Band idea... I think that it has potential to do greater good by abusing what Shuckle does best...staying alive and dealing consistent damage

Just one problem; unless you're running some sort of gimmicky offensive set (lol), you should never run anything besides Leftovers on Shuckle. The thing is short enough on recovery as it is, and the lack of Leftovers just means that passive damage and random attacks will wear it down a whole lot quicker.

MetalCrow

Just one problem; unless you're running some sort of gimmicky offensive set (lol), you should never run anything besides Leftovers on Shuckle. The thing is short enough on recovery as it is, and the lack of Leftovers just means that passive damage and random attacks will wear it down a whole lot quicker.

That's why I think that Shuckle should only be used against others who can't beat it thru direct attacks (either because of a lacking offensive stat, or lack off offensive attack all-together) And after saying such, I think I'll use this set as an example:

Shuckle@Binding Band
Relaxed + 252HP/252Def
-Wrap
-Smack Down
-Sand Tomb
-Rest

This can be utilized to take care of lots of things like Skarmory and other support pkmn... Forretress and Skarm can't beat it because of it's bulk and access to the easy-stall move known as Rest...I, personally have trouble dealing with entry hazard abusers, so I'm gonna attempt this set in the future...BTW I'd use the attacks in the exact order that I listed them to beat Skarmory

matgonor

Too cool for SSB4
Well lets see if this one works.

Get the shuckle done

Shuckle
252 hp - 252 def
@life orb
power trick
stone edge
gyro ball
substitute/earthquake

Simple.Get a partner w/ trick room,set it(bronzong wil fit nicely on this)
Then, a slow good passer w/ substitute(musharna comes to mind, friggin slow, has access to both)(if you use it, go w/ earthquake.if you dont,take substitute on shuckle)
power trick, and just physsically sweep.

Zachmac

That's why I think that Shuckle should only be used against others who can't beat it thru direct attacks (either because of a lacking offensive stat, or lack off offensive attack all-together) And after saying such, I think I'll use this set as an example:

Shuckle@Binding Band
Relaxed + 252HP/252Def
-Wrap
-Smack Down
-Sand Tomb
-Rest

This can be utilized to take care of lots of things like Skarmory and other support pkmn... Forretress and Skarm can't beat it because of it's bulk and access to the easy-stall move known as Rest...I, personally have trouble dealing with entry hazard abusers, so I'm gonna attempt this set in the future...BTW I'd use the attacks in the exact order that I listed them to beat Skarmory
Skarmory and Forretress are bad examples. They'll both get their jobs done. Forretress will get up rapid spin, stealth rock, spikes, and/or toxic spikes. To make things worse, rapid spin removes wrap.

Skarmory will get up three layers of spikes and use whirlwind to force shuckle to swap out. It can also use roost to make up for the damage taken.
Simple.Get a partner w/ trick room,set it(bronzong wil fit nicely on this)
Then, a slow good passer w/ substitute(musharna comes to mind, friggin slow, has access to both)(if you use it, go w/ earthquake.if you dont,take substitute on shuckle)
power trick, and just physsically sweep.
Pokemon uses trick room.
Swaps out, round one of TR is up.
Substitute, round two of TR is up.
Baton Pass, round three of TR is up.
Power Split, substitute is broken, round four of TR is up.
Attack. The last round of trick room is up.
Shuckle is KOed.

Last edited:

Rayofquazar

You were comparing knock off's utility to Gyro ball's power in the first place... You know power split/Gyro ball can be used in defensive sets too! Actually power split is a great move for defensive shuckle, cutting your opponent's attack and special attack in half while boosting your own without lowering your defenses. I just said you can run either way... You can knock off opponent's item if you want to cripple it or a just you want to do more damage to it with Gyro ball.

Zachmac

I'd say Shuckle would have roughly half as much attack as it's enemy would of before after power split. Say it uses power split on an adamant Lucario. It would have less then 175 attack. doesn't even top 200.

It still wouldn't be doing much damage, and then there is Gyro Balls low PP....I actually doubt it'll land any KO with that.

Vandslaux

I'd say Shuckle would have roughly half as much attack as it's enemy would of before after power split. Say it uses power split on an adamant Lucario. It would have less then 175 attack. doesn't even top 200.

It still wouldn't be doing much damage, and then there is Gyro Balls low PP....I actually doubt it'll land any KO with that.

Agreed. Power Split is mostly used on Shuckle to wipe the foe's offensive stats, not make you more offensive.

Rayofquazar

It won't KO the opponent with gyro ball... It's a defensive shuckle. It's only used as an attacking option so that taunt wont ruin it that much. Defensive variants will have to rely on toxic so they can passively KO their opponent's.

If you really don't want to be complete Taunt bait, then just run Knock Off. Seriously, removing an opponent's item for the rest of the battle is far more useful than a little more damage with Gyro Ball with no STAB, coming from an attack stat that isn't even hitting 250, even after using Power Split on an Adamant Haxorus at that.

grantholomew

accually is dolan
This is why GameFreak needs to make an item that extends the length of Trick Room, like Light Clay. But even if you go straight for Power Split-Trick Room, if you don't kill something in one turn, you're as good as dead anyway.
Again, Shuckle isn't the best defensive Pokémon because its only recovery move is Rest and it can be smashed by Pokémon with Night Shade or Seismic Toss, like Blissey.

Zachmac

As for counters? It's set up bait.

Forretress, Ferrothorn, Tentacruel and Skarmory use it to easily set up hazards, and are mentioned especially because they are immune to toxic. Scizor, Lucario, Cobalion, Venasuar, and Hone Claws Metagross can all use it to get to +6 offenses, and are also immune to toxic, though they must watch out for power split. Set up sweepers utilizing Substitute is probably the most effective, as long as they avoid coming in on toxic or power split, as Shuckle has absolutely no way of breaking a sub. Blissy and Chansy can take it out with seismic toss, and can recover from poison simply by swapping out.

Last edited:

SmogonFreak

Make that 1 HP last!
Defense Curl+Rollout
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Nature: Relaxed
-Defense Curl
-Rollout
-Power Trick
-Power Split

Just set up some Defense Curls (which boost the power of Rollout as well as Defense), Power Split the opponent, Power Trick ONLY AT +6 DEFENSE WITH A POWER SPLITTED OPPONENT , and sweep with Rollout.

+6 Defense Curl Power Split Rollout from a 252 Def Relaxed Shuckle is the strongest attack in all of Pokemon. Just saying

Status
Not open for further replies.