• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #65

Status
Not open for further replies.

365pokemon

Many people don't know about a certain move that weezing learns: memento. In NU, this allows weezing to pave the way for a setup sweeper like swords dance combusken to get a free, uncontested, boost up. If your NU team utilizes something like belly drum linoone, then you might want to consider running a standard weezing set, but replace a move on it, such as sludge bomb, with memento. Definitely a move to go in the other options section.

Melonhead215

"That one guy"
I did, but as I've been predicting Weezing as the next PotW since Serebii skipped over it in favor for Chandelure, not sure how much that counts.

Ok, good. That was pretty freaky for a sec ._.

infernape612

Village Idiot
Defensively yes, however your Special Defense would be lower and considering your only weakness is Physchic attacks and a almost all of them are Special it wouldn't be very beneficial to have an Eviolite.

So... if I changed the Defense EVs to Special Defense, would that work?

Zodiac Meteor

Poor Weezing, even with that defense and only 1 weakness you are just outclassed. Heck, Marowak has equal defensive properties if you simply move 10 points from special to physical. You can counter its awful speed with Trick Room but sadly using Trick Room support for Weezing is terrible.

Weezing has a ton of various moves, making it a versatile offensive wall, sadly, its slightly stronger physical attack offers nothing. Is it just me or is Weezing the only poison type Pokemon that does not have a physical STAB move?

Last edited:

365pokemon

Weezing has a ton of various moves, making it a versatile offensive wall, sadly, its slightly stronger physical attack offers nothing. Is it just me or is Weezing the only poison type Pokemon that does not have a physical STAB move?
Utilizing an attack stat that is just five points higher than a poke's other attacking stat simply because it's five points higher is really bad logic... it doesn't matter that its movepool focuses on a special attack stat that is just five points lower than its physical attack stat, the difference doesn't really have a large consequence.

Ilan

I would find venusaur to be an effective counter against weezing. As part-poison it would have the immunity pure grass types wouldn't have. It would have to have worry seed to negate weezing's levitate (worry seed is the most awesome underrated move in the game) and earthquake to finish it off.

Sleep powder>worry seed you've got 2-3 turns worry seed also prevent's sleep... if worry seed was THAT good cofagringus was everywhere... but that's offtopic.. also weezing can just will o wisp with your strategy .. or just switch .

Weezing puns (Warning most of them are BAD): weezup,weez o weezp (will o wisp set), Smoky Wall,.

Last edited:

Kraleck

Weez's Physical Movepool may be limited, but it isn't bad. Payback plays well with its naturally low Speed, as does Gyro Ball, Explosion is self-explanatory, and Natural Gift (Salac Berry) pairs well enough with Thief for chipping-away coverage. As for a lack of a Physical Poison Type Move, as Zodiac Meteor kindly pointed out, Natural Gift is the only way for Weez' to have one (and I do mean one) and only with Oran, Qualot, Kebia, and Petaya Berries.

Serpentine

Pokemon Breeder
Poor Weezing, even with that defense and only 1 weakness you are just outclassed. Heck, Marowak has equal defensive properties if you simply move 10 points from special to physical. You can counter its awful speed with Trick Room but sadly using Trick Room support for Weezing is terrible.

Oddish, Gloom, Vileplume, Bellsprout, Weepinbell, Victreebel, Budew, Stunky, Foongus, and Amoongus.

Zodiac Meteor

Utilizing an attack stat that is just five points higher than a poke's other attacking stat simply because it's five points higher is really bad logic
I never said Weezing should utilize physical attack >_> but Weezing would benefit more from physical (Explosion) if it could learn good physical moves.

Seriously, why doesn't Weezing learn Gunk Shot? Something is wrong when Pachirisu can learn it but not Weezing.

Oddish, Gloom, Vileplume, Bellsprout, Weepinbell, Victreebel, Budew, Stunky, Foongus, and Amoongus.

All have physical STAB moves, just not poison type.

Last edited:
Besides being able to do an okay job at walling/hazing, Weezing sucks at almost everything. You might as well make it a bit useful with this:

Weezing @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SpAtk)
- Explosion
- Destiny Bond
- Memento
- Toxic / Grudge

Tada! A suicide role! With the EVs and nature, it reaches 380 Speed which is enough to outspeed a lot of stuff. Explosion does a nice amount of damage to anything frail. Destiny Bond is great for taking out something important. Memento allows one of your teammates to set up easier or it will force a switch which also gives you a free turn to set up. Toxic is used if you want to spread status quickly and Grudge depletes all of the foe's PP if Weezing is KO'd.

Zodiac Meteor

Besides being able to do an okay job at walling/hazing, Weezing sucks at almost everything. You might as well make it a bit useful with this:

Weezing @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SpAtk)
- Explosion
- Destiny Bond
- Memento
- Toxic / Grudge

Tada! A suicide role! With the EVs and nature, it reaches 380 Speed which is enough to outspeed a lot of stuff. Explosion does a nice amount of damage to anything frail. Destiny Bond is great for taking out something important. Memento allows one of your teammates to set up easier or it will force a switch which also gives you a free turn to set up. Toxic is used if you want to spread status quickly and Grudge depletes all of the foe's PP if Weezing is KO'd.

This made me lol.

If any Pokemon does a suicide role it should be Metagross or Frolass. To bad suicide is a terrible idea.

This made me lol.

If any Pokemon does a suicide role it should be Metagross or Frolass. To bad suicide is a terrible idea.

But I was serious about that. Anything else I could have suggested probably already has been. And besides, that set I mentioned is Metagross' and Froslass' combined. It has Metagross' Explosion, Froslass' Grudge and Destiny Bond. It even has Memento.

Last edited:

Blaze12x2

2 Heads are better than 1
Weezing@Black Sludge
Bold252def/100sp.def/150sp.def
Toxic
Protect
Venoshock
Pain Split/Explosion
Very basic, toxic for gradual damage and venoshock for the 50 boost in damage thanks to toxic. Pain Split or Explosion is useful to restore Weezings health or sacrifice Weezing to get rid of something opposing a threat to your team.

ClefairyRox

Nintendo Fan
Before I begin, I have to say that I loved the pun in Red and Blue where a TR member with a cold says Koffing evolves into Weezing. (And coughing does evolve into wheezing). And I couldn't stop laughing at how much Missingno. Master was flipping out. But anyways... Weezing is a classic Poison-type Pokemon (and the signature Pokemon of Team Rocket's James for the first five or so seasons of the anime) with an excellent base 120 defense. Its HP and Sp. Defense are both iffy, but get the job done. Attack and Sp. Attack are average at best, at base 90 and 85, respectively. Its Speed is a forgettable base 60, but that is faster than a number of other physical walls (like Forretress). Weezing's movepool and ability are also quite well suited for the physical walling role. The thing about Weezing is that its remained virtually unchanged. In such a dynamic environment, Weezing really struggles. Still, its good at what it does.

Recommended tiers: NU-UU

Levitate is Weezing's only ability. All Ground-type attacks except for Sand Attack have no effect on it. This is excellent, as it leaves Weezing with only one weakness: Psychic, and it makes Pokemon that rely on Earthquake as their main attack, like Gliscor and Hippowdon, weep.

Weezing has a pitiful at best physical movepool, so Special Attacks are the way to go. Sludge Bomb is a STAB option, though it leaves you helpless against Steels. Most Weezing run Flamethrower or Fire Blast instead. Thunderbolt, Shadow Ball, Dark Pulse, and Psybeam are additional special options.

Weezing's support movepool is where it's at. Pain Split is its best way to recover, and since Weezing has a rather low base 65 HP, it usually gains from the move. Will-O-Wisp is every physical attacker's nightmare, and Weezing uses it very well. Toxic is another status option, and if you want, you can combine it with Venoshock for great damage. Haze and Clear Smog serve the same purpose: removing stat changes. The difference is that Haze works on all Pokemon on the field while Clear Smog causes damage and only affects one target. Be very aware that Clear Smog is a Poison-type attack, which means Scizor and other Steels can boost without worry. Memento can be used if your Weezing looks like its about to go down, although its a bit too slow to really use it well. Destiny Bond has the same issue. Stockpile is good for stalling, but beware of crits.

Double/Triple options: An immunity to Earthquake is great, though Weezing can't damage an opponent much. A Weezing with Haze can partner well with a Pokemon that uses Draco Meteor, Overheat, or a similar stat-lowering move.

Countering Weezing: In OU, Heatran completely shuts Weezing down. In other tiers, Psychic type moves are the way to go. Pokemon with Magic Guard and Magic Bounce are particularly effective. Taunt shuts down any non-offensive Weezing. Try to use Special Attacks, as Weezing has a rather iffy base 70 Sp. Defense.

Zachmac

Specially defensive Umbreon seems like a good partner for it too me. Umbreon happens to be immune to psychic, it's only weakness. Meanwhile, Weezing sponges bug and fighting attacks for it. Umbreon can concentrate on it's high special defense, while Weezing does it's job as a physical wall.

Melonhead215

"That one guy"
Yeah, the only other time I correctly predicted the next PotW was when I predicted Delibird. And given that it was being done for Christmas, it wasn't exactly a tough call to make.

Side conversation ftw

Anyway, you have inspired me.

Prediction for next week: Hitmonlee

menametlg

Wall-zing
@Black Sludge
Impish [ 252 HP / 148 Def / 8 Spd ]
- Toxic / Will-o-Wisp
- Protect
- Pain Split
- Taunt

This set serves as the Physical Wall Set. All moves are self-explanatory

Offensive Weezing?
@Life Orb / Normal Gen / Black Sludge
Brave / Relaxed [ 252 HP / 100 Atk / 156 Def ]
- Curse
- Gyro Ball
- Payback
- Explosion

Curse raises bulk and offense but lowers Speed. Good partner with Gyro Ball and Payback. Kills you but hurt the foe a lot.

Countering

Heatran counters Will-o-Wisp and Poison-type moves. Magic Bounce Espeon transfers status moves and also kills Weezing with Psychic. Rampardos ignores Levitate and can kill Weezing with one Earthquake.

Pre-Evo Corner

@Eviolite
Bold [ 252 HP / 100 SpDef / 156 Def ]
- Toxic / Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Destiny Bond
- Memento / Explosion

All moves are self-explanatory.

jireh the provider

Video Game Designer
Weezig, the Icon pokemon of Smogon, Poison type proud. I'm a grass type so no thanks. Can't stay too long.

EXPLOSIVE COMBUSITION!
Fire blast
Sludge bomb
Hidden power Ice
Thunder/bolt

THIS GAS WILL SELF DESTRUCT IN 5 ... 4 ... 3 ... 2 ... 1 ... BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!
Explosion
destiny bond
will - o - wisp
toxic

Status
Not open for further replies.