• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #65

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zachmac

Lastly, Zero offensive presence? *Looks at Skarmory and Deoyxs-D* Meh, I disagree on that. I prefer Taunt over Brave Bird to stop the ever so popular Ferrothorn.
Deoxys-D is usually used as a lead instead of a wall anyway, and it just spikes and screens until it's down. Skarmory can still threaten it's counters with whirlwind.
YOU use taunt... btw ferrothorn can be whirlwinded or spiked...
Actually, taunt turns Ferrothorn into a set up fodder, since Skarmory x4 resist both of it's attacks. Besides, it stops ferrothorn from getting and SR, T-wave, or an extra layer of spikes before being hit by whirlwind.

Lastly, Zero offensive presence? *Looks at Skarmory and Deoyxs-D* Meh, I disagree on that. I prefer Taunt over Brave Bird to stop the ever so popular Ferrothorn.

If you're using Taunt on Skarmory instead of Brave Bird, you're just asking for the opponent to Taunt Skarm and force you into Struggle. In addition to what BH was saying, walls also generally need to run some sort of offensive utility (Skarm's Brave Bird, Ferro's Gyro Ball/Power Whip, Jellicent's Scald, Blissey's Seismic Toss/Flamethrower/whatever, etc.) to keep from being Taunt bait, and while they're running that offensive utility move, they might as well be good at it. While Weezing can do that fairly well with a decent base 85 SpA stat and a solid STAB move, as well as decent coverage moves, Koffing cannot.

Oh yeah, and posting this...

lol, envy Blissey's offenses, do you even know how walling works? You know, if a Pokemon has a massively huge special attack of 85 with NO boosting moves, it's best used as an attacker!
Offensive Blissey, because when I think Blissey, I give it moves like Earthquake, Rock Slide, Wild Charge and Present. Why not? Did ya see dat that 10 physical attack? With STAB present I have a 10% chance to bust out 120 base damage! Oh and 20% chance to heal my opponent 50% health.
I did some calcs and it takes 10 hits to kill Sunkern with Rock Slide, yay! Get this, only 2 hits to kill Pichu with Earthquake! Poor Pichu's 20/15/30 defenses it never stood a chance.
With that 75 special attack, it's obviously a special attacker, silly me, give it specs and teach it Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, Shadowball and Hyper Beam.

...was a really bad idea. You could have left that part out, still made the same point, and not sounded like such a smart aleck.

Melonhead215

"That one guy"
Quick, we need some gas puns!

Um....Kick Gas?

Is there a "post twice within 5 minutes in same forum" rule? Tell me if there is ._.

Gass Cannon
I hope that Turtwig brought it's gas mask
Cargastrophe (can't spell that great, might be pun gone wrong)

Kindrindra

大事なのは自分らしいくある事
I'd just like to say that Umbreon and Weezing make one of the best Wall combinations ever.

The two quite litterally completely cover eachother's weaknesses- Umbreon is immune to Weezing's sole weakness in Psychic (and most psychic move users are special attackers, which is great when you consider Umbreon's godly special defense) while Weezing resists both of Umbreon's weaknesses in Bug and Fighting (And, again, Fighting and Bug type attackers are typically physical. However, the lower teirs have a lot of specially focused bug-type attackers, such as Venomoth, Yanmega, and Galvantula). But the combo doesn't end with their typing and complementary defensive stats- Weezing has no way to heal itself outside of Pain Split which, while a good move, can be less than optimal at times. That's where Umbreon's Wish comes in. The move allows Umbreon to heal it's partner simply by switching after using the move (Or using Baton Pass- And the rest of the team can also benifit from Umbreon's gratuitous healing). The best part? Thanks to Gen V's new wish mechanics, Umbreon's heafty Wishes will actually heal more than half of Weezing's health, due to a higher HP stat. But don't even start to think that Umbreon is all that holds the combo together- Weezing carries something Umbreon wishes (no pun intended) he had- Will-O-Wisp. The ability to easily inflict the foe with both residual damage and a 50% cut to their attack stat makes the combo work like glue and allowing them to do exactly what walls do- hold the foe off and wear them down either to nothing, or until a heavy-hitting teammate can come in and smash right through the crippled team.

I double checked calcs and you're right, Koffing takes 2% more damage against special attacks. I don't know how I missed that.

Its closer to 10% which is important as Koffing, AGAIN, has no Leftovers recovery. Koffing has only 7% higher defenses which it literally useless when Weezing has Leftovers.

This is why Koffing sucks even at taking Physical hits

Koffing switches in on a physical attack. Takes 50% from CB TTar Stone Edge. 50% HP remaining.
Weezing switches in. Takes about 46.5%. Heals 6.25% from Leftovers. 52.75% remaining.

Ok so Koffing takes hits from both spectrums worse. It hits like a flower with its 60 base Special Attack. It can't even 2HKO Skarmory with Flamethrower. Its a bad choice.

Pain Split by far isn't the best recovery move, but easy to work around? Switch in a Pokemon with low HP to take Pain Split, while spikes are up... Pain Split is a great move for Weezing.

Pain Split is very easy to work around. Avoid switching in your Blissey and its not hard to stop. Much of the time you don't gain more than 30% and the other side loses 30%. While this is nice it won't keep Weezing around forever.

Lastly, Zero offensive presence? *Looks at Skarmory and Deoyxs-D*

Yeah, because Spiking / Rocking / Whirlwinding isn't dangerous? A few turns of Spikes early on is arguably more terrifying than any one sweeper.

Meh, I disagree on that. I prefer Taunt over Brave Bird to stop the ever so popular Ferrothorn.

Cool, but Taunt / Whirlwind / Spikes is FAR more than Koffing will ever do.

Um....Kick Gas?

LOL

Ísjaki

Flood Of Red

SwiftGrovyle

Official POTW Fact Checker

Um....Kick Gas?
The following I saved for the occasion. Laugh hard, if you will:

Laughing gas is laughing at you. As I wall.
Bit of Helium in your way.
Quit smoking, it's nasty!
The pun of a smoke alarm.
I just go BOOM!
Needs deodorant or mint breath (Take your pick)
Gas-oline the room, then strike a match!
Knocks the wind outta ya (or kicks, if you want!)
Tear Gas? Who needs that when you got me!
I am flammable. And you?
Caution: (insert pun)

Last edited:

Serpentine

Pokemon Breeder
I'd just like to say that Umbreon and Weezing make one of the best Wall combinations ever.

The two quite litterally completely cover eachother's weaknesses- Umbreon is immune to Weezing's sole weakness in Psychic (and most psychic move users are special attackers, which is great when you consider Umbreon's godly special defense) while Weezing resists both of Umbreon's weaknesses in Bug and Fighting (And, again, Fighting and Bug type attackers are typically physical. However, the lower teirs have a lot of specially focused bug-type attackers, such as Venomoth, Yanmega, and Galvantula). But the combo doesn't end with their typing and complementary defensive stats- Weezing has no way to heal itself outside of Pain Split which, while a good move, can be less than optimal at times. That's where Umbreon's Wish comes in. The move allows Umbreon to heal it's partner simply by switching after using the move (Or using Baton Pass- And the rest of the team can also benifit from Umbreon's gratuitous healing). The best part? Thanks to Gen V's new wish mechanics, Umbreon's heafty Wishes will actually heal more than half of Weezing's health, due to a higher HP stat. But don't even start to think that Umbreon is all that holds the combo together- Weezing carries something Umbreon wishes (no pun intended) he had- Will-O-Wisp. The ability to easily inflict the foe with both residual damage and a 50% cut to their attack stat makes the combo work like glue and allowing them to do exactly what walls do- hold the foe off and wear them down either to nothing, or until a heavy-hitting teammate can come in and smash right through the crippled team.
HOW COULD YOU FORGET ONE OF THE MOST PROMINENT SPECIAL BUG TYPE POKEMON! VOLCARONA! THE BEST BUG TYPE EVER! ALTHOUGH ITS TYPING IS TRULY HORRIBLE! IT CAN USE FLY! FLYYYYY! AND IT HAS FLAME BODY! IT'S THE PERFECT BREEDING... I think I've gone too far. I like your ideas. :3 However, be wary of Flash Fire Pokemon.

Is there a "post twice within 5 minutes in same forum" rule? Tell me if there is ._.

Gass Cannon
I hope that Turtwig brought it's gas mask
Cargastrophe (can't spell that great, might be pun gone wrong)
I think it'd be better as Catgastrophe. Not so much Car gas trophe.

If you're using Taunt on Skarmory instead of Brave Bird, you're just asking for the opponent to Taunt Skarm and force you into Struggle. In addition to what BH was saying, walls also generally need to run some sort of offensive utility (Skarm's Brave Bird, Ferro's Gyro Ball/Power Whip, Jellicent's Scald, Blissey's Seismic Toss/Flamethrower/whatever, etc.) to keep from being Taunt bait, and while they're running that offensive utility move, they might as well be good at it. While Weezing can do that fairly well with a decent base 85 SpA stat and a solid STAB move, as well as decent coverage moves, Koffing cannot.

Oh yeah, and posting this...

...was a really bad idea. You could have left that part out, still made the same point, and not sounded like such a smart aleck.
Why are you guys talking about Skarmory?

The following I saved for the occasion. Laugh hard, if you will:

Laughing gas is laughing at you. As I wall.
Bit of Helium in your way.
Quit smoking, it's nasty!
The pun of a smoke alarm.
I just go BOOM!
Needs deodorant or mint breath (Take your pick)
Gas-oline the room, then strike a match!
Knocks the wind outta ya (or kicks, if you want!)
Tear Gas? Who needs that when you got me!
I am flammable. And you?
Caution: (insert pun)
Hmm... I think "I Kick Gas" should go after Caution:

Kraleck

"Cannon Monoxide"
Stats: Modest, Max Sp.Atk & HP, rest Defense or Sp.Def
Item: Choice Specs
Moves: Sludge Bomb, Shadow Ball, Flamethrower, Thunderbolt

Purely damage output. Easy to remember, hard to forget, decent against Trick Room Pokemon when it expires.

Alternate Moves for Weezing:
-Psybeam - Yes, it's weak, but it's mostly for Fighting Types and other Poison Types.
-Stockpile - Only to boost your Defense and Sp.Def, but pairs well enough with Pain Split.
-Torment - Mostly to screw with Choice users.

Status
Not open for further replies.