• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #67

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Seems Tangrowth didn't get much love so we have an Unova Pokémon today

526.png

We have Gigalith. It's a pretty good Pokémon with a good ability and set

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/526.shtml

Go nuts.

philzone

Ready for trumpets
First post=]
Counters haxorus mold breaker - sturdy doesn`t work of the user has earthquake
Sets
Adamant/brave
Earthquake
Stone edge
Explosion
Sandstorm
Item: choice band
Evs 4 hp, 252 att,252 def

AquaRegisteel

Face Oblivion
Gigalith @ Leftovers
Ability: {Sturdy}
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Atk
Nature: Impish
-Stealth Rock
-Stone Edge
-Earthquake
-Explosion

This is pretty much all it gets. It has a poor movepool, but has the physical stats of Metagross. This makes it a decent tank.

Stealth Rock is arguably the best move in existance, damaging anything that switches in. Stone Edge hits flying types like Articuno and friends, whilst Earthquake hits the other steels for some damage. Since Sturdy allows you to survive a big hit, you can blow up with Explosion when you are done doing what you do.

John Wallrein

I am the walrein
Well it kinda sucks. I guess you could go EdgeQuake SR and explosion. Full atk and HP evs adamant. Or you could go full Def and HP impishto be more of a phys tank. Still is outclassed by alot but ehh whatever

grantholomew

accually is dolan
Happy Easter all! Yeah Gigalith is kinda outclassed but it's still pretty good in lower tiers. While it doesn't get STAB Earthquake, it doesn't have any double weaknesses or weakness to Ice, and it has okay Special Defense compared to other Rock-types plus it has the amazingly revamped Sturdy. They could have given it Gyro Ball but NO that would make it too broken.
526.gif

Das Gigalith
Gigalith @ Leftovers/Air Balloon/Life Orb
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 SDef
Brave (+Atk, -Spd)
- Stone Edge/Smack Down
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Curse/Explosion
So yeah, basic EdgeQuake. This set works best under Trick Room. Smack Down (don't kill me for this) could be used to give Earthquake perfect coverage, but the opponent could always switch out. Stealth Rock is for...Stealth Rocking. Curse increases your two best stats (and makes you faster if you're in a Trick Room) while Explosion is a finisher, great with Sturdy. Like Tangrowth, watch out for Special Attacks.

Last edited:

MasterLucario

No life till leather
Gigalith. What a sick looking pokemon. I mean, a giant rock spider that shoots lasers from its rocks?! It's that shabby of a battler too. Base 135 attack with great defenses is nothing to scoff at. Too bad it's movepool is so limited. It does get the normal rock type moves and is a force to be reckoned with in UU/NU.
A Lead that Rocks!
@ Leftovers
Sturdy Adamant
252 HP/ 4 Att/ 252 Def
-Stealth Rock
-Stone Edge
-Earthquake
-Explosion
Sturdy is obviously the best ability here. It pretty much all but guarantees you the ability to set up Stealth Rock. Stone Edge and Earthquake are just for normal attacking once rocks are up. Explosion for when you're done. God, imagine this thing exploding...

This things attack level is so high, it should be Band!
@Choice Band
Sturdy Adamant
-Stone Edge
-Earthquake
-Explosion
-Heavy Slam
Holy **** if you didn't think this thing would be dangerous with a Band, you'd be wrong. Stone Edge and Earthquake will put a huge dent into anything, if even it might resist it. Though not as powerful in Gen 5, Explosion will still hurt. Since this things movepool is so limited, your best bet for a last move is Heavy Slam, since Gigalith is pretty heavy. But the first 2 attacks will be your most used. Sturdy lets you get off at least 1 hit, if rocks aren't up. Once Sand Force comes out, it's attack will rise even further.

philzone

Ready for trumpets
Set 2
Adamant

Earthquake
Stone edge
Explosion
Heavy bomber
Evs: hp4,att252,def252
Item : air balloon

One unusual set. Weight makes it semi usable except with wailord or other heavy Pokemon.
You could sub heavy bomber for facade if it is attacked by will-o-wisp, though only if the foe was not ghost type.
Honestly, outclassed by golem, by alot.

Lord Zoroark

Master Tactician
Make sure that Sandstorm's running. This guy can wall if it is, as long as Excadrill isn't around.

Gigalith - Ridin' the (Sand)Storm
EVs: 4 Attack, 252 Defense, 252 Special Defence
Moves:
Toxic
Stealth Rock
Smack Down
Mud Slap
Item: Leftovers
I'M SERIOUS. Use Toxic to eat at Pokemon not immune to it (and most will also take Sandstorm damage). Stealth Rocks because... you know why. Mud Slap to screw with the accuracy of the opponent's Pokemon, eventually forcing a switch. Smack Down to knock down those who are immune to Mud Slap, then go back to spamming it.
If you're not prepared, this gets annoying pretty fast.

Serpentine

Pokemon Breeder
Why Gigalith can't learn Gyro Ball puzzles me because it should. It has practically the same body shape as Metagross. I can picture it using Gyro Ball and yet it can't. Another bad thing about Gigalith is its lack of a decent movepool. He has the basic standard moves all Rock Pokemon have but besides that he doesn't have much going for him except for his incredible Attack and Defense. Other than that, not much going for him.

Adamant
HP 252, Atk 252, SpDef 4
Life Orb

Stealth Rock
Earthquake
Stone Edge
Explosion

Stealth Rock is a good move. EQ is strong. Stone Edge is your best STAB Explosion is good if you're low on HP. Best for a Sand Team because you get the Sp Def boost.

Other Options:
Replace Stealth Rock with Curse
Replace Explosion with Curse

ClefairyRox

Nintendo Fan
Gigalith isn't used very often, and for good reason. He is outclassed at just about everything he does, and his movepool is extremely shallow. But there are some good things about this guy. His Attack and Defense are equal to Metagross's, and being a Rock type, he gets the 50% Sp. Defense boost in a Sandstorm, making him a decent tank. His very low Speed (base 25) works against him most of the time, but Trick Room can help him there.

Recommended tiers: NU-RU

Sturdy prevents OHKO moves from working and gives Gigalith a free Focus Sash. Though it can be difficult to OHKO a full HP Gigalith (especially if a Sandstorm is out), this ability provides insurance against that possibility.
Sand Force gives Gigalith's Rock, Ground, and Steel-Type moves a 33% boost in a Sandstorm. Not too bad for a sand team, although I don't remember if Hippopotas was in NU or RU...

The EdgeQuake combo is central to any Gigalith, although Rock Slide is always a weaker, more accurate option. But you won't be benefiting from the flinch much, if at all. You can also pick Smack Down, though its very weak in comparison. Aside from those moves, Gigalith only has Return, Frustration, Explosion, and Heavy Slam to turn to for physical attacks. (C'mon Gamefreak, why'd you give him Solarbeam instead of something more useful? Gyro Ball would've been a big help on this guy!) Gigalith's a bit too slow for Explosions, but I've seen some people give their's a Normal Gem and Explode him. Heavy Slam is okay because Gigalith is so heavy, but its coverage is poor.

Gigalith has a couple of supportive options to pick from. He gets Stealth Rock, which is always useful. There's also Toxic and Gravity. Gigalith can raise his poor Speed with Automize or Rock Polish, but unlike Metagross, he has to use it at least twice in order to outspeed base 100s, so its not very practical. Curse is an option to further boost that Attack and Defense, and since Gigalith's so darn slow the Speed drop hardly matters.

Doubles and Triples: I've seen the Normal Gem/Explosion combo used for high amounts of damage, but otherwise, I wouldn't recommend Gigalith for Doubles and Triples.

Countering Gigalith: Pound away at him with special attacks. He has no reliable recovery and will eventually fall. On the other hand, his Attack is one of the highest (if not the highest) in the NU and RU tiers, so he might be hurting your Pokemon a lot. In RU, Tangrowth (who we coincidentally covered this week) can stand up very well to Gigalith, and Tangela can do the same in NU. Both also have Sleep Powder to shut it down, though that's best saved for another Pokemon in their case. I don't remember what tier Bronzor falls in (besides Little Cup) but an Eviolite Levitating Bronzor completely walls Gigalith. Sandslash has a high enough Defense to withstand a hit, and he can strike back with a supereffective STAB Earthquake. Torterra is another great choice, since he resists Gigalith's core combo, has high Defense, and can defeat Gigalith with his STAB moves.

Pre-evolution corner:

I freaking LOVE Roggenrola's name. I actually named mine Rock N Roll due to the fact that it sounds similar. But anyways, Roggenrola is quite useful as a Little Cup Pokemon. He can use Rock Polish or Automize to outrun many LC threats, and use the EdgeQuake combo to hurt almost everything out there. And unlike Geodude, he lacks 4x weaknesses. You can also use him in Trick Room or as a lead with Stealth Rocks. Just make sure you have something to counter Bronzor and company, and you're all set to let this guy loose!

Last edited:

BugZ

Look Left------>
I would have done Togekiss, in honor of Easter, maybe even Lopunny but meh, whatever. Here's my standard Gigalith set.

Gigalith @ Normal Gem/Lum Berry
Sturdy
Adamant
12 HP 252 Atk 244 Spe
-Stone Edge
-Earthquake
-Stealth Rock
-Explosion
With an immense amount of defense, (hey, that rhymes :p) Gigalith finds it very easy to set up Stealth Rock. Stone Edge gets STAB and is the primary attack, and Earthquake gives him the EdgeQuake combo. Explosion is to be used when the deed is done, and does a huge amount of damage. You maybe looking at the EV spread thinking, what the hell is with all the investment in speed? Well, with 244 Spe, Gigalith outspeeds base 55 and lower Pokes who don't have anyinvestment.

Missingno. Master

Poison-type Trainer
ChoiceLith
Gigalith@Choice Band
Brave nature
Sturdy
252 Atk/252 HP/4 Sp. Def
~Rock Slide/Stone Edge
~Earthquake
~Heavy Slam
~Return/Frustration/Explosion

Gigalith has incredible Attack, good Defense, decent HP, and crappy everything else, up to and including movepool. It does have several usable moves at its disposal, though. Rock Slide is for STAB, though Stone Edge is an acceptable substitute if the accuracy loss isn't an issue for you. Earthquake is for coverage with the STAB move. Heavy Slam and the Normal move of your choice are, sadly enough, the rest of Gigalith's viable options.

Item is obvious. Ability is the only legal one currently and is the best one regardless.

Autotomolith
Gigalith@Muscle Band
Jolly nature
Sturdy
252 Atk/252 Spd/4 HP
~Autotomize
~Rock Slide/Stone Edge
~Earthquake
~Return/Frustration

A more gimmicky option, but Gigalith can attempt a sweep outside of Trick Room conditions, too, thanks to Autotomize, which doubles its iffy Speed to... 326. Hardly a desirable total, but nevertheless much better than 163. Rock move for STAB, EQ for coverage, Normal move for filler. Heavy Slam would be redundant with Autotomize, given the latter's weight-loss side effect.

Item boosts Attack and allows free switching of moves, without Sturdy-interfering recoil. Ability basically guarantees Autotomize usage.

Other options:
*Gigalith has some nice special options, such as Power Gem, SolarBeam, Flash Cannon, and Hidden Power. A pity the same cannot be said for its paltry Special Attack of 60.
*Gravity is a decent novelty move, and it would negate the low accuracy of Stone Edge and allow Earthquake to hit everything. It can work on a Trick Room Gigalith; a Muscle Band version of the Choice Band set that replaces Heavy Slam (for the two are illegal on the same Gigalith).
*Curse sounds like a good idea in theory, but generally the best users of Curse have great Special Defense. Gigalith's is merely average, though a Sandstorm can fix this.

Abilities:
*Sturdy: If at full health, Gigalith can survive any attack with 1 HP remaining. Total immunity to OHKO moves like Fissure and Guillotine. Gigalith's best ability, as well as the only legal one at this time. Practically guarantees that Gigalith will be able to use a set-up move or otherwise get in at least one attack.
*Sand Force: Gigalith's Hidden Ability. Increases the power of Gigalith's Rock, Steel, and Ground moves by 33% in a Sandstorm. Not actually legal on it yet. It would make for a good option for a Choice Band Gigalith in a sandstorm... and Trick Room... OK, pretty situational.

Partners:
Either a Trick Room user, a Sand Stream mon, or both.

Counters:
Anything with Mold Breaker can bypass Sturdy with Earthquake, possibly for the OHKO, despite Gigalith's impressive Defense. After a Shell Smash, Gigalith would be hard-pressed to stand up to a Cloyster's Icicle Spear. Marowak's Bonemerang is a gimmicky yet effective option.

Opinion:
Looks cool.

Prediction for next week:
Throh

I look at Gigalith and I think, "What on Earth happened?" It has an incredible base 135 Atk stat, making it the strongest Pokemon in NU bar only the crippled Slaking and Regigigas. It also has great 85/130 physical bulk and decent 85/70 special bulk, which becomes nearly equal to its physical bulk in the Sandstorm. And yet it's near the bottom of the barrel in NU. Sure, it does have that middling base 25 speed, but that's not always a major problem. Ferrothorn turned out alright, didn't it? The major problem is its movepool. Simply put, it's terrible. Literally all it can notably do is throw around QuakeEdge, set up Stealth Rock, and then blow up on something. Not to mention that its only released ability, Sturdy, is a waste on a Pokemon with such good bulk. Its typing does take away the double Water and Grass weaknesses that the many Rock/Ground types have to deal with, but then it runs into problems with Regirock. Regirock's 80/200/100 defenses curbstomp Gigalith's, and although it's not quite as powerful, it's much faster (which still isn't saying much) and has many other movepool options. What's worse is that while Regirock at least has RestTalk for recovery, Gigalith can't do anything to heal itself bar Wish support and Leftovers.

I guess what Gigalith does have going for it is the fact that it's so powerful, and it'll be the strongest user of Sand Force in the standard metagame once that's released, but I digress. Its line is also one of only four 5th Gen lines that has access to Stealth Rock, giving it a little extra something to call its own. Let's also not forget that despite the nerf, Explosion is still hitting with the power of a STAB Stone Edge and Earthquake back-to-back, so it's still an excellent option. Gigalith can also use its massive physical bulk to switch in easily on the many birds in the tier and become much more of an offensive threat than Regirock or Golem. If you were to ask me, the best way to play Gigalith is just to take advantage of its strong points with the classic Stone Edge/Earthquake/Stealth Rock/Explosion set. The Smogon analysis suggests 244 Spe EVs to outspeed neutral, uninvested base 55s, but I find that to be a waste of Gigalith's bulk. I'd personally run just 44 EVs to outpace neutral, uninvested base 30s (mainly Bastiodon, Duosion, and Amoonguss) and throw the rest into HP. So yeah, my two cents.

jeffdavid102

TSS Forever
Counters: With Sturdy, Gigalith can KO most Pokemon in one hit. Sturdy needs to be stopped with entry hazards or hail. Don't even try to get through Gigalith's defense. Use special attacks such as Earth Power or Focus Blast. Any powerful move that's super-effective. Giga drain will also heal you. One of the best counters is Ferrothorn. Leech Seed will heal Ferrothorn and damage Gigalith, taking away Sturdy. If a previous Pokemon has burned Gigalith, its enormous attack is gone. Ferrothorn will nearly be immune to Gigalith. The damage it takes will heal from Leech Seed and Leftovers. Once Ferrothorn is safe, Gyro Ball can be great, though I prefer Power Whip.

jeffdavid102

TSS Forever
I would have done Togekiss, in honor of Easter, maybe even Lopunny

I agree with that. Or maybe Azumarill. It's a rabbit too. And it's even better than Lopunny

UbersSuck20

#FreeGenesect
I'm offering to write how to beat Gigalith.

Any bulky Water or Grass-type Pokemon, such as Milotic, Blastoise and Tangrowth, can easily counter the "huge" monster, but they need to be wary of the Choice Band set. Also, keep in mind that Gigalith cannot be OHKOed at full health if it has Sturdy. In general, you're gonna want to target Gigalith's Special Defense because it sits at an average 70. Any special attacker that has an attack that is super effective against Gigalith works confortably as a check. Physical attackers have a harder time due to Gigalith's gargantuan Defense of 130, but Conkeldurr will almost always destroy Gigalith with STAB Drain Punch, while Landorus can hit very hard with Earthquake unless Gigalith is carrying an Air Balloon. All of these checks, however, need to watch out for the rare Curse set. Taunt can somewhat limit sets that carry Stealth Rock, Curse, or Toxic, but Gigalith is an offensive benemoth, so the taunters will have few opportunities to switch in. Burn is another nightmare for Gigalith; having such a great Attack cut in half makes Gigalith useless.

Last edited:

Vandslaux

This is basically all Gigalith can do.

Gigalith @ Leftovers
Adamant
Sturdy
252 HP/252 Atk/4 Speed
Stealth Rock
Earthquake
Stone Edge
Explosion

Ingame, I actually had to run Rock Slide on this thing.

Kraleck

Sturdy's 5th Gen effects give you more of a reason to use priority Moves. Even a 1-HP-damage Fake Out will wreck a Sturdy Ability Pokemon, especially if they have low Speed like 'lith. Ludicolo, Shiftry, Blastoise, Dewgong, Persian, Mr. Mime, and a few others can wreck 'lith's chances due to Fake Out access and access to Special-based Water or Grass Moves.

However, 'lith has one of the best Trick Room Speed Stats at Base 25. Sturdy is a reason to unleash this beast after a use of Trick Room - it will survive a hit from anything without Mold Breaker + Special Moves (only Basculin could be a significant threat of this kind since the others have negligible Sp.Atk compared to their Attack). From there, 'lith is going to wreak havoc and destruction.

Good HP, beastly Attack and Defense, subpar Sp.Atk, average Sp.Def, and low Speed are nothing new for a Rock Type, but the mono-Type gives 'lith a huge advantage over another Rock Type with similar stats, Sturdy potential, and 2 quad weaknesses: Golem. The existence of 'lith gives players even less of a reason to use Golem.

wunderkind

Everyone's doing sets with Sturdy, so I'mma do one with Sand Force :3

Use the (Sand) Force
Ability: Sand Force
Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SpA)
Item: Smooth Rock/Leftovers
EVs: 252 Atk/252 HP/4 Def
-Sandstorm/Curse
-Stone Edge
-Earthquake
-Heavy Slam/Explosion

This set is all about getting boosts from Sand Force. Which is perfect, since the only move-types Gigalith can learn are Rock, Ground, and Steel. If you don't have Sand Stream on your team, you can go with Sandstorm/Smooth Rock. Otherwise you can use Curse to power yourself up, and the Speed drop doesn't matter, seeing as Gigalith doesn't have one. EdgeQuake should be obvious. Explosion can be used as a last ditch move, but Heavy Slam could be used as well since Gigalith is a really heavy Pokemon, plus it gets the SF boost as well. Could work better if you have a teammate that can Trick a Pumice Stone onto an opponent.

Oh, and does anybody know whether or not Iron Ball adds to weight? If so, that could be used w/ HS.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
I reckon this thing can work well with proper support, like Trick Room and Sandstorm support.

Gigalith @ Leftovers
Brave nature (+Atk, -Spd)
Sand Force
252 Atk, 156 Def, 100 HP
-Curse
-Stone Edge
-Earthquake
-Heavy Slam / Explosion / Facade

Gigaliths main problem is its lack of movepool, it gets very little to fill up that last moveslot. But still, this set takes advantage of Gigaliths strong points, namely being a physical wall while also providing an offensive threat that won't allow foes to just happily set up. The EV's also follow this. With these EV's Gigalith gains max attack at 405, and the remaining EV's provide maximum physical bulk, leaving it with 336 HP and 335 Def. Move EV's from HP to Def, and the bulk will drop. Move EVs from Def to HP and the bulk will also drop, this combination provides the maximum possible bulk with the remaining EV's. It's a trick that I've also used on Metagross in the 3rd gen Battle Frontier, and it could take any physical hit without much trouble. Pinsirs Swords Dance boosted Endured Flail hits this thing at about 25% damage. Explosions do about the same if not less. Any EQ not having STAB or a CB backing it won't 2KO, except for Slaking (who is practically still 3KO because it takes Slaking 3 turns to do 2 Earthquakes). Any STAB-boosted or CB boosted EQ won't OHKO, except from extreme hitters like Groudon. The moveset is fairly self-explanatory I think.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.