• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #67

Status
Not open for further replies.

GirlKirbyZombie

Pokemon Rancher
Happy Easter!

Anyways, here's a moveset that might work.

I'm Da Tortoise
Nature: Careful or Impish
EVs: 189 Sp. Def, 63 Def, 129 HP, and 129 Attack
Ability: Sturdy
Items: Rocky Helmet or Lefties
Moves:
Protect
Knock Down
Bulldoze
Stealth Rock/Explosion

A set that can help average speeded pokemon (or Nidorina~) and counter Trick Room (as long as bulldoze is not used). Be sure your partner runs protect so there would be no accidents during construction.

365pokemon

Standard Gigalith Lead
Gigalith@Normal Gem/Lum Berry
Nature: Adamant
EV's: 252 Atk, 12 Hp, 244 Spe

~Stealth Rock
~Earthquake
~Stone Edge/Rock Blast
~Explosion/Toxic

Speed EV's are to outspeed non speed invested base 55's or lower (Lampent, Exeguttor, Relicanth, Tropius, Muk, etc.). Max attack adamant to allow you to abuse your base 135 attack stat, fourth highest in NU. Stealth rock is pretty much given, since you're guaranteed to get it up thanks to sturdy (bar taunt, flinches, parahax, flinches, parahax, parahax, flinches.........basically bar hax and taunt). Earthquake is a great coverage move, and utilizes your attack stat. Stone Edge is a ridiculously powerful STAB move, but rock blast is more accurate and can break subs, although much weaker. Your last slot can be toxic to cripple walls, or explosion to inflict a large amount of damage before dying. Your item choice can vary-you can use normal gem if you're using explosion, to boost explosion's power, or you can use lum berry to get rid of annoying burns.

Last edited:

NoteLobo

Banned
Gigalith Ttar Counter
Ability: Sturdy (Or whenever it comes out sand force)
Item: Power Herb/ Leftovers
Solar Beam
Stone Edge
EarthQuake
Substitute
Ev's: 252 attack, 252 hp, 4 def
This is a weird set I have gotten some use out of for one reason. Ttar cannot stop it! I had a huge Tyranitar problem a little bit ago in my wifi battles. It would just sweep through my team like it was made of paper mache. So I set out to find a good counter to it. And I hit upon this guy as a great counter. You come in on a tyranitar and use Solar Beam, I know what your saying, why can a beast make out of all rock use solar power to fire a lazer? well I don't know but I'm not objecting. After Ttar has bit the dust you use substitute and earthquake/stone edge to kill at will. If you run Power herb you get an instant KO on Ttar who can't KO you due to sturdy. But if you decide to run Leftovers you can get some health back as you continue. I haven't tried this set with Sand Force (Mainly because its not out yet!) but I would imagine a Ttar counter that gets a huge boost from the sandstorm is a great idea.

ClefairyRox

Nintendo Fan
Gigalith Ttar Counter
Solar Beam
Stone Edge
EarthQuake
Substitute
This is a weird set I have gotten some use out of for one reason. Ttar cannot stop it! I had a huge Tyranitar problem a little bit ago in my wifi battles. It would just sweep through my team like it was made of paper mache. So I set out to find a good counter to it. And I hit upon this guy as a great counter. You come in on a tyranitar and use Solar Beam, I know what your saying, why can a beast make out of all rock use solar power to fire a lazer? well I don't know but I'm not objecting. After Ttar has bit the dust you use substitute and earthquake/stone edge to kill at will. If you run Power herb you get an instant KO on Ttar who can't KO you due to sturdy. But if you decide to run Leftovers you can get some health back as you continue. I haven't tried this set with Sand Force (Mainly because its not out yet!) but I would imagine a Ttar counter that gets a huge boost from the sandstorm is a great idea.

Wha? How can Giga defeat TTar with Solarbeam? Its Sp. Attack is subpar at base 60, while T-Tar has base 100 Sp. Defense (and the Sp. Defense boost from Sandstream). The way I see it, Gigalith's Solarbeam wouldn't even take out 1/3 of Tyrantitar's HP... It probably wouldn't even take out 1/4. So how does that work?

Vandslaux

Gigalith Ttar Counter
Solar Beam
Stone Edge
EarthQuake
Substitute

Congratulations, your set can 6HKO specially defensive MixTar with SolarBeam. And that's assuming it's not Sassy.

0SpAtk Gigalith (-SAtk) SolarBeam in Sandstorm vs 252HP/0SpDef Leftovers Tyranitar (Neutral): 16% - 20% (68 - 82 HP). Guaranteed 6HKO.

Sassy:

0SpAtk Gigalith (-SAtk) SolarBeam in Sandstorm vs 252HP/0SpDef Leftovers Tyranitar (+SpDef): 15% - 18% (64 - 76 HP). Guaranteed 7HKO.

Edit: Your set 8HKOes the mixed attacker set on Smogon's analysis. And 9HKOes max HP/SpD.

0SpAtk Gigalith (-SAtk) SolarBeam in Sandstorm vs 252HP/192SpDef Leftovers Tyranitar (+SpDef): 13% - 15% (54 - 64 HP). Guaranteed 8HKO.

0SpAtk Gigalith (-SAtk) SolarBeam in Sandstorm vs 252HP/252SpDef Leftovers Tyranitar (+SpDef): 12% - 14% (50 - 60 HP). Guaranteed 9HKO.

Last edited:

Soperman

The One and Only
Say hello to Gamefreak's middle finger to Pokemon. This guy has some of the most amazing stats in the game, but the worst movepool in the game. Also, it is a Rock type, which isn't that great. It has too many common weaknesses. Gigalith has one usable moveset. ONE. Thanks a bunch Gamefreak, thanks a bunch.

Abilities:
Sturdy: Will not faint after one attack. Pretty good.
Sand Force (DW): Boosts the power of Ground, Steel, and Rock type attacks in the Sand. Unreleased currently, but also really good.

The Only Set
-Stone Edge
-Earthquake
-Explosion
-Stealth Rock/Curse
Item: Life Orb
EVs and Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -Sp. Atk)
252 Hp/252 Atk/ 4 Sp. Def
Self explanatory. Stone Edge is STAB, Earthquake is good coverage, and Explosion for a lack of a better move. Stealth Rock to set up hazards, or Curse to make your already massive Attack even more massive.

Partners
Tyranitar boosts his Sp. Def, so that's nice. Anybody to take out physical walls and his weaknesses will do.

Countering Gigalith
Take a Water type, any Water type. Teach it Surf. Congradulations, you can counter Gigalith! It really is as simple as that. Well, not really. However, and Ground type with decent Defense completely walls it. Quagsire, Gastrodon, and Swampert are among his worst nightmares. Even Seismitoad and Whiscash counter him! Any Grass type works well, too. Especially Breloom. Any Steel type that resists Earthquake or at least isn't destroyed by it can wall Gigalith. Frankly, the guy's typing sucks. The types it's weak against sum up to about half of all of the pokemon in existence right now.

Airo

That One Guy
It's been way too long since I've tried a POTW. Anyways...

Gigalith is your generic physical Attack and Defense-oriented Rock type Pokemon. Average HP, low Special Attack, low Special Defense, a Speed that is only usable in Trick Room, and the Sturdy ability. The Dream World ability of Sand Force gives it an edge, though, the others don't have. Gigalith is also one of the few Pokemon that is a Rock only type, meaning a Fighting/Water type move won't cause terrible damage to it. It also has a very shallow movepool, but not a bad one.

Abilities:
Sturdy: Non-consumable Focus Sash. Also protects you from Fissure, Sheer Cold, etc, but that's not as important as the Focus Sash part.
Sand Force: Powers up Rock, Ground, and Steel type moves in a sandstorm. Sandstorms also have the extra benefit of increasing aforementioned type Pokemon's Special Defense by 50%.

Stealth Rock Powerhouse or Tank? Your Pick.

- Stealth Rock
- Sandstorm
- Mud Slap/Earthquake
- Stone Edge/Rock Slide
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Sand Force
EVs and Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SpAtk) or Careful (+SpDef, -SpAtk); 252 Atk/64 Def/192 SpDef or 4 Atk/252 Def/252 SpDef

Set up Stealth Rock and, to last longer, use Sandstorm to increase your Special Defense. This set sort of varies as it really depends on whether you want to focus on an offense or defense strategy. You could use a Calm nature and defensive EV spread with Mud Slap to make a Gigalith that can survive for a long time and forces switching with the accuracy loss from Mud Slap. In an offensive set, Stealth Rock takes somewhat of a back seat to the Sandstorm-Sand Force combo, making Earthquake hit harder and Stone Edge/Rock Slide do insane amounts of damage with Adamant nature and 252 Atk EVs. As you knock out opponents, Stealth Rock hurts the next one coming in.

Power of the Sandstorm

- Stone Edge/Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Heavy Slam/Explosion/Curse
- Sandstorm
Item: Life Orb
EVs and Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SpAtk); 252 Atk/64 Def/192 SpDef

Not too different from the offensive side of the previous set, I know. But this set takes full advantage of Sand Force by including all the types of moves it boosts and taking it even further with the Life Orb. Although, if you want to, you could replace Heavy Slam with Explosion. Heavy Slam is affected by weight comparison, so it won't always turn out to do good damage. Explosion, however always makes for a good last resort and does great damage to anything not Rock, Steel, or Ghost type. Curse, though, is another option if you want to increase Attack and Defense (with base 25 Speed, who cares about the Speed drop?).

Just Your Average Everyday Exploding Rock (Seriously, Most Rock Types These Days Can Use Explosion)

- Toxic
- Iron Defense
- Sandstorm
- Explosion
EVs and Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SpAtk); 252 Atk/64 Def/192 SpDef

Toxic, Iron Defense, and Sandstorm will make it seem like you're playing a defensive set, so they might use Taunt, expecting a switch, and then you use Explosion, destroying whatever was on their field. Of course, you can have a little fun with Toxic stalling in this set if you want.

Other Options

Not many. I usually try to make at least four sets for each POTW I do, but Gigalith's movepool is just not diverse enough.

Swagger confuses your opponent. Use it with Stealth Rock and force a switch.
Headbutt can cause flinch...in Trick Room, I guess. Not amazing, I know, but I just wanted to mention it.
Smack Down is a Rock type move with only 50 power, but, hey, it's the only Rock type physical move with 100 accuracy. Making Levitating and Flying type Pokemon vulnerable to Ground type moves is also a plus.
Gravity allows Levitating and Flying type Pokemon to be able to hit by Ground type moves. It also decreases the Evasion of everything on the field while the move it is active, so it's a viable option in Doubles/Triples.

Double and Triple Battle Options

Gigalith is well equipped in Doubles and Triples with Rock Slide, Earthquake, Explosion, and Gravity. They're all pretty handy. Low Speed means you could put it in a Trick Room team.

Partners

Flying types for Earthquake, Ghost types for Explosion (or just bring something that has Protect). You could partner Gigalith with a Trick Roomer to compliment its poor Speed. Bronzong makes a great partner because it can learn Trick Room, can Levitate to avoid Earthquake, and with Steel typing and high Defense, can take an Explosion pretty well. Other than those obvious choices, if you have a partner with low accuracy, high power moves, have Gigalith use Gravity for great results. Also try partners with OHKO moves (Fissure, etc.) for devastating results. Sure, those OHKO moves still won't always hit, but they'll be a lot easier to use with Gravity in effect.

Counters

Almost any Water type move (you know, cause most of them are Special attacks) will OHKO, except with a Sturdy Gigalith; so bulky Waters will be able to handle Gigalith's attacks and return with an OHKO. Grass type moves are also mostly comprised of Special moves, so they will OHKO as well. With Gigalith's base 130 Defense stat, it would take at least 2 hits from a Physical move to take it down. Entry hazards nullify Sturdy's Focus Sash capability, so they would help. A weather changer can stop Sandstorms to nullify Sand Force.

Pre-Evolution Corner

Boldore can really do anything Gigalith does, except maybe for Heavy Slam, because its weight is less than half of Gigalith's. Eviolite also makes Boldore's Defense very impressive.

Roggenrola has the same sets, has amazing Attack and Defense compared to the majority of Little Cup, and does extremely well in Trick Room. Eviolite makes this thing untouchable from a good amount of Physical attacks.

Last edited:

Admin13

My first POTW colaboration!!!!!!

Trick Room Sweeper
Gigalith@Life Orb
Sand Force
Brave
252Hp/252 Atk/4 spD
-Stone Edge/Rock Blast
-Earthquake
-Heavy Slam/Explosion
-Curse/Substitute/Stealth Rock

This will be awesome(in my opinion) when Sand Force became avalible. The idea is simple, put TR change gigalith and start to sweep, the two first spaces are obvius, EdgeQuake is always good, next is the choose between Heavy Slam and Explotion, for one side Heavy Slam get the boost of SF and Explotion is only for say "Bye-Bye" with Style. In the last slot Curse is the most useful option becoming more "Faster" and powerful to Gogalith but the other two have they uses.

Is easy to note that this set requier a lot of suport in order to get the goal, the obligatory ones are a sand summoner and a TR user for the first u only have three chooses, select the one u prefer acording
to the enviorment(Tier, Synergy stc) for the others Reuniclus, Porygon2, Dusclops are good ideas becase they bulk.
For the last SR suport, Cleric assitence, and other sweepers or any other that you considere precise in synergy with the rest of the team.

(sorry for the ortography)

Charizard Lizzy

BARRELS!!!
Sweet Arceus, this guy has a sucky movepool. There is literally one moveset that works effectively with Gigalith, and that comprises of the EdgeQuake combo, Steath Rock, and Explosion. There, this POTW is done.

Nah, not really. Despite the tiny movepool, Gigalith does have an impressive base 135 Attack and 130 Defense, making for quite the tank. Unfortunately, base 70 Special Defense makes it easy to overcome with a Special attacker. For this reason, Always, ALWAYS have Sandstorm support for Gigalith! Its Rock-typing grants it a much needed Special Defense boost in Sandstorms, so USE IT.

On a slight tangent, I really don’t get why Gigalith doesn’t have Gyro Ball, but it can be bred Autotomize – because base 25 Speed is so worth the time to boost! Plus, I personally think he looks kinda cool. Anyways, on with the movesets.

Abilities:
Sturdy – If Gigalith has full HP, it will survive a 1-hit KO. For Gigalith, this ability is just “ok”. If a Physical attack is thrown its way, it should be able to absorb it, rendering this ability useless. Sure, this will come in handy if it’s hit with a Special attack, but considering how slow it is it’ll most likely bite the dust next turn. Still, Sturdy at the very least will guarantee Gigalith can cripple an opponent at least once. Until Sand Force comes out, it’s an ok ability to have.

Sand Force (Dream World, currently unavailable) – Boosts Gigalith’s Rock-, Ground-, and Steel-type moves in a Sandstorm by about 33%. For Gigalith, this is like a free Life Orb boost without the recoil! Shame it’s not out, but when it does, it’ll add even more raw power to this rock goliath.

:526:
Already posted a bajillion times
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Sp. Def / 4 Def
Nature: Careful (+Sp. Def, -Sp. Atk)
- Stone Edge / Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Explosion / Toxic / Gravity

Gigalith’s Rock-typing grants a 50% increase in its Special Defense in a Sandstorm, meaning it’ll go from lackluster base 70 to a nice 105; EV investment includes Special Defense to ensure it has as much bulk as possible for any attack. Stone Edge and Earthquake form the EdgeQuake combo; Rock Slide can be substituted for better accuracy. Stealth Rock can mess up many Pokémon with the health drop, especially others with Sturdy.

There are a few choices for the final slot. Explosion, even if it has been “nerfed” in gen V, can be used as a last-ditch effort to punch a hole in the opponent’s team. Toxic could be used on physically bulkier Pokémon that give Gigalith a hard time. Gravity is a gimmicky choice, but I’ve observed several performing a semi-interesting strategy with it. With Gravity in effect, even Levitators will be damaged by Stealth Rock.

Sand Force increases Gigalith’s Rock and Ground options during Sandstorm. Again, though, Sturdy isn’t too terrible an option until Sand Force is out.

Leftovers is the only way Gigalith can recover health (besides Rest, which is negligible).

cookies kill you

Like a boss
Stealth rocker
Life orb
sturdy
Adament
stealth rock
Explosion
Stone Edge/Rock Blast/Rock Slide
Earthquake

252 Attack 252 Defense and give the rest to the hp

Last edited:

NoteLobo

Banned
Congratulations, your set can 6HKO specially defensive MixTar with SolarBeam. And that's assuming it's not Sassy.

0SpAtk Gigalith (-SAtk) SolarBeam in Sandstorm vs 252HP/0SpDef Leftovers Tyranitar (Neutral): 16% - 20% (68 - 82 HP). Guaranteed 6HKO.

Sassy:

0SpAtk Gigalith (-SAtk) SolarBeam in Sandstorm vs 252HP/0SpDef Leftovers Tyranitar (+SpDef): 15% - 18% (64 - 76 HP). Guaranteed 7HKO.

Edit: Your set 8HKOes the mixed attacker set on Smogon's analysis. And 9HKOes max HP/SpD.

0SpAtk Gigalith (-SAtk) SolarBeam in Sandstorm vs 252HP/192SpDef Leftovers Tyranitar (+SpDef): 13% - 15% (54 - 64 HP). Guaranteed 8HKO.

0SpAtk Gigalith (-SAtk) SolarBeam in Sandstorm vs 252HP/252SpDef Leftovers Tyranitar (+SpDef): 12% - 14% (50 - 60 HP). Guaranteed 9HKO.
Sorry that I wrote the wrong Ev's and Nature guys. Shoot me. I mixed it up with another set I was writting at the same time. You could have just left it at. You did something wrong no need to go crazy......

philzone

Ready for trumpets
Another good counter is mienshao. Fake out+fighting type move=2HKO
Try this set as well
Sandfreak
Brave
Stone edge
Earthquake
Explosion
Heavy bomber/facade
Item:air balloon/iron ball
Nature sand rush
Use this on a sandstorm+trickroom set. EVERYTHING WATCH OUT!!!!!
Massive destruction with all moves.
Gimmiky and good if done correctly. Partners here are hippowdon/ tyranitar and bronzong with trickroom. Counters are anything slower,that resists sandstorm,eg steelix.
Iron ball means flying types watch out for earthquake, so hard to switch to

Kraleck

Other Usable Moves
-Rock Blast - Look at 'lith's Attack. Now back to the enemy Substitute. Now back to 'lith's Attack. Now back to the enemy Substitute. Now back to 'lith's Attack. Sadly, your opponent's Substitute won't survive long with a STAB boosted, Base 25 Power, Multi-hit Move against lith's Base 135 Attack.
-Headbutt & Rock Slide - Look again. You're now in Trick Room Flinch-hax territory. The opponent will be frustrated beyond measure.
-Rock Smash - Presto. You can hit harder after a Defense debuff affects your opponent.
-Protect - BAM!!! You're now a scout.

*says Gigalith like the Pokemon would repeatedly to the Old Spice Deodorant theme*

Ishnura

Gigalith is one of the very few examples of a Stealth Rock pokemon introduced in Gen 5. Combined with great attack, slightly lower but very good Defence, fairly okay Sp. Defence, this thing can tear up things pretty easily. Then theres that REALLY low speed stat, but hey, its a rock pokemon. Isn't it tradition to make every Rock pokemon slow as heck?

"Stealth Gigalith"
Moves:
Stealth Rock
Stone Edge
Earthquake
Curse/Explosion
EVs: 252 Attack and Defence. 6 HP
Brave Nature (+Attack, -Defence)
Item: Leftovers/Normal Gem

This set pretty much revolves around the usage of Stealth Rock, then Swith it out with whatever to keep it from dying to early to sweep. When it comes out again, use Curse (if its an option) at least once, then the massacre can begin. Stone Edge is really powerful without STAB and a powerful pokemon to back it up, and Earthquake is the primary Physical move. If Curse isnt an option, and Gigalith's HP gets too low for comfort, Explosion can usually get the job done easily.
Leftovers are if your confident Gigalith can recover enough HP to let Sturdy activate again, and the Normal Gem is only if you are desperate to make Explosion KO at least one pokemon.

Seems Tangrowth didn't get much love so we have an Unova Pokémon today

lol its not that Tangrowth didn't get love, its that there are only a few things that it can do. We should do more interesting Pokemon.. Come on, Gigalith? What does it do. Stone Edge?

philzone

Ready for trumpets
More counters: ghost types in general. Resist explosion and wreak it with will-o-wisp. Dusknoir is awsome here, as it has decent defences, and can pack a punch. Giritina (o) resists earthquake (if no iron ball)and explosion and smashes it if it has protect. Lucario has bone rush,so good honest damage done here, could 1even ko gigalith.

Overall, with so little to use, I prefer golem to gigalith, as it runs the same sets, but better.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Some more counters. Flygon resists Edgequake and if it carries a Life Orb or Choice Band it can 2KO back with STAB Earthquake. Claydol also resists Edgequake and can fight back with Earth Power. Metagross has the same physical stats as Gigalith, but it gets better speed and it gets STAB on Meteor Mash while Gigalith does not get STAB on Earthquake. Curselax can also bring Gigalith down over time if Giga doesn't run Curse itself. Marowaks Bonemerang bypasses Sturdy and can cause a OHKO I think on not too defensive sets. Swampert also generally fights back well with Earthquake, especially Curse variants. Torterra resists Edgequake and can fight back with either of its STAB moves. Ferrothorn can also set up on it with Curse and use Power whip.

A good thing is that all of those counters apart from Snorlax are also immune to Sandstorm.

Kraleck

Some more counters. Flygon resists Edgequake and if it carries a Life Orb or Choice Band it can 2KO back with STAB Earthquake. Claydol also resists Edgequake and can fight back with Earth Power. Metagross has the same physical stats as Gigalith, but it gets better speed and it gets STAB on Meteor Mash while Gigalith does not get STAB on Earthquake. Curselax can also bring Gigalith down over time if Giga doesn't run Curse itself. Marowaks Bonemerang bypasses Sturdy and can cause a OHKO I think on not too defensive sets. Swampert also generally fights back well with Earthquake, especially Curse variants. Torterra resists Edgequake and can fight back with either of its STAB moves. Ferrothorn can also set up on it with Curse and use Power whip.

A good thing is that all of those counters apart from Snorlax are also immune to Sandstorm.

A lucky use of Scald that scores a Burn is an effective 1HKO. Omastar is also Sandstorm-immune and has STAB Scald. Golduck has access to Cloud Nine Ability and STAB Scald. Speaking of Cloud Nine Ability, Lickilicky can fight back with Muddy Water and tank hits rather well.

chap196

Physical Wall Gigalith
Item Leftover
Ev 252 Attack 252 Defense 6 HP
Nature Impish
Ability Sturdy
Move Set
Earthquake
Stone Edge
Stealth Rock
Curse
Earthquake help you to super effective rock, steel, fire, electric and poison, also it has high base power, the power is 100. Stone Edge has a good coverage with Earthquake, also it has STAB. Stealth Rock really annoy your opponent, also it make your opponent think hard to switch Pokemon or not. Curse will make Gigalith gain Attack and Defense which make Gigalith hard to defeat, Gigalith don't care Speed much.

Status
Not open for further replies.