• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #67

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbktdreed

Veteran Trainer
Personally, there's not alot to go with. Espically, when Sturdy is the only availiable ability.

Personal Moveset:
Item: Muscle Band/Life Orb
Brave Nature
Stone Edge/Rock Slide/Smack Down
Earthquake
Curse
Gravity

Partners:
Sandstorm-Users like Tyranitar
Trick Room-Users
Heal Pulse-users like Gardevoir to help recover HP.
Helping Hand-Users
Tropius/Jumpluff cover most of Gigalith's weaknesses.

Countering:
A defensive pokemon with high sp attack and special Water/Grass/Fighting/Ground/Steel-type attacks to go after Gigalith's low Sp Defense.
Counter-users because its stats and mostly physical moveset.

Last edited:

Ilan

Please don't use solar beam on sets it is pitiful...

I searched all 3 pages and didn't see a subtitute set

my bad pun list:
Rocky rock
Rock n' Roll
Giga Impact joke set
Quakedge

Sub + 3 attacks
@ Leftovers
252 HP/252 attack/4 defense
Adamant/Brave
Sturdy (use sand force once realesed)
-Stone edge
-Earthquake
-Heavy Slam/Stealth Rock
-Subtitute

Subtitute +3 attacks normally fast pokemon do it but you know trick room or just forcing pokemons like swellow or choiced pokemon out and you can set up subtitute with good defense then you know what it talked all over the thread quakeedge + this steel move that everyone wish it was gyroball.

Salamance@Dragon Gem
Moxie
Jolly
252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP

- Dragon Dance
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw

Has a great chance to sweep if it can take down weakened steel types with fire blast (best in the sun) or can outspeed pokemon that will use ice attacks. Biggest weakness is Ice Shard users, but it can take some non-boosted priority moves.

philzone

Ready for trumpets
Salamance@Dragon Gem
Moxie
Jolly
252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP

- Dragon Dance
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw

Has a great chance to sweep if it can take down weakened steel types with fire blast (best in the sun) or can outspeed pokemon that will use ice attacks. Biggest weakness is Ice Shard users, but it can take some non-boosted priority moves.

I thought this week was gigalith, not salamence.
Anyway, good thing for gigalith is that it could do serious damage in sandstorm, with its dream world ability.
Good items:
air ballon-negates ground moves
passho/chople berry-powered down water/fighting moves
focus sash-basically sturdy in item form. ONLY USE IF USING DW ABILITY
Iron ball-brings down levitators and flying types, and makes it super useful in a trick room set.

Small movepool, great attack and defense stats. I'm not gonna bother with a set right now. I'll just review abilities and uses etc.

Sturdy - Good ability, considering Gigalith's sub-par special defense.
Sand Force - Not as good as sturdy, since Gigalith's movepool mainly make it a staller. Still works with Stone Edge and Earthquake, which are used on almost all Gigalith sets.

Counters
Taunt should be used before anything else so Gigalith can't set up Stealth Rock or Toxic. Common NU attackers, especially Torterra, as it resists Stone Edge, Earthquake, and doesn't take to much from Heavy Slam, can finish Gigalith with their STAB moves.

Vandslaux

Personally, there's not alot to go with. Espically, when Sturdy is the only availiable ability.

Personal Moveset:
Item: Muscle Band/Power Herb
Brave Nature
Stone Edge/Power Gem/Smack Down
Earthquake
Solarbeam/Flash Cannon
Curse/Gravity/Sandstorm/Rock Smash

Partners:
Sandstorm-Users
Trick Room-Users
Tropius/Jumpluff cover most of Gigalith's weaknesses
Heal Pulse-users like Gardevoir to help recover HP.

Countering:
A defensive pokemon with high sp attack and special Water/Grass/Fighting/Ground/Steel-type attacks like Cloyster or Energy Ball-Cofagrigus.
Counter-users
Hail-users, espically Abomasnow, with a special move that gives enough damage that Hail will do the rest.

Stone Edge kills Cloyster.
Cofagrigus never runs Energy Ball. WoW will deal with Giga just fine.
How will Abomasnow counter Gigalith? At the very least, Aboma will die as well.
Counter sucks, it's unreliable. Also, SR says hi to Sashed Counter.
Heal Pulse only works in multi battles. And I would use Chansey if I was playing doubles anyway.
Tyranitar>Sandstorm.
Rock Smash is redundant with EQ.
Never use special attacks on Gigalith.
The fourth slot should usually go to SR.

Also, no Explosion?

I thought this week was gigalith, not salamence.
Anyway, good thing for gigalith is that it could do serious damage in sandstorm, with its dream world ability.
Good items:
air ballon-negates ground moves
passho/chople berry-powered down water/fighting moves
focus sash-basically sturdy in item form. ONLY USE IF USING DW ABILITY
Iron ball-brings down levitators and flying types, and makes it super useful in a trick room set.

Air balloon is probably the best item out of all those. Comes real useful when you can predict correctly.

Ilan

Let's make it clear:
In my point of view

Movepool(STAB bolded):

Main options:Stone edge,Earthquake,Heavy Slam,Explosion,Stealth Rock.
Usable: Subtitute,Toxic,Curse,Rock Slide,Rest,:Sandstorm in lower tiers + Sand Force:,Return,Protect.
Gimmick: Gravity, Rock Polish/Autotomize,Smack Down,Bulldoze.
Useless: Special moves,Giga Impact.

But why no body mentioned Return it can hit flygon and claydol which some people mentioned them as counter.

Items:
Main:Leftovers,Normal Gem,Choice Band.
Usable:Life Orb,weakening berries(doubles),Air Balloon,expert belt,Chesto Berry.
Extreamly useful: Choice specs,choice scarf

Rayofquazar

lol its not that Tangrowth didn't get love, its that there are only a few things that it can do. We should do more interesting Pokemon.. Come on, Gigalith? What does it do. Stone Edge?

LOL!!! I love tangrowth... and Gigalith!
Unfortunately, if you navigate through this POTW discussion you can see that most of the users posted somewhat the same set. Few tried to be creative but lets face it, gimmick gigalith is bad, Very VERY bad!!!

The first time I saw gigalith I was like Wow!! this guy can punch! Very high attack, very high defense, Fair HP and Sp DEF and a speed that is perfect for trick room and a great design too. After further inspections I realized that it has ONE usable set and only ONE due to it's riddiculously bad movepool!

However this set is not bad at all, sure it is all it can do but it's really good. Access to quake-edge combo pretty much hits hard a lot of pokemon, stealth rock is very good on a leading set (wich is how gigalith should be always used) and explosion to go out in style.

Gigalith is a very good suicide lead in this game, team preview killed it a bit, but access to sturdy means that at least it gets to lay down stelth rocks.
Sandstorm helps this pokemon so does trick room but can function relatively well without them (Mainly being a lead).

Meowmeow

selfproclaimed guru
Gigalith's stats are pretty good (except for speed). It has an awesome ability in Sturdy. Beyond that, Gigalith is very unspectacular. Gigalith features the basics of what Rock types are about. High attack and defense, low speed, and Sturdy ability. Gigalith puts these features to the extreme. The movepool is small. Except for one thing: Gravity. Gravity is the one thing that sets Gigalith apart from other Rock types. Lets check a moveset.

Compact Jupiter
Nature: Sassy
EVs: 252 Special Defense and HP, 4 attack
@: Leftovers

Gravity
Stone Edge
Earthquake
Explosion/Stealth Rock

Gravity is Gravity. It does what it does. Stone Edge is STAB, Earthquake complements STAB and Gravity. Explosion is the best choice for the fourth slot, but Stealth Rock can be used.

lol its not that Tangrowth didn't get love, its that there are only a few things that it can do. We should do more interesting Pokemon.. Come on, Gigalith? What does it do. Stone Edge?

It could be worse. Just wait until we get Skarmory. It has literally one good set, with the only real variation being physically defensive V.S. specially defensive and Leftovers V.S. Shed Shell.

pikadon92

Raiden Maximus
Can sturdy let gigalinth survive its own explosion?

Also, as limited as its movepool are, rock/ground combo is actually good. The only pokemon that resists both are nincada, torterra and grass/fighting mons.

Last edited:
Can sturdy let gigalinth survive its own explosion?

Unfortunately, no. Now, what it can do is let Gigalith survive with 1 HP, use a Custap Berry, and then fire off Explosion before the opponent has the chance to attack. I don't think the Custap Berry is available in BW yet, but that will be a neat trick when the berry becomes available.

sbktdreed

Veteran Trainer
Response (I already made some changes)

Please don't use solar beam on sets it is pitiful...

How will Abomasnow counter Gigalith? At the very least, Aboma will die as well.
Also, no Explosion?

The biggest reason I even put Solarbeam up at all is because it might be used against water and ground-type pokemon espically those with Damp ability, like Quagsire and Poliwrath. Besides, I have no intention on using Explosion. As for Abomasnow, I thought it might use Energy Ball while Hail is in effect at the time.

Salamance@Dragon Gem
Moxie
Jolly
252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP

- Dragon Dance
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw

Are you stating a possible partner for Gigalith or are you being off topic?

philzone

Ready for trumpets
Partners
Bronzong- trick room always is good and resists sandstorm
Tyranitar/hippowdon- sandstorm is there for gigalith
Landourus,excadrill- murderous in sandstorm
Swampert-bulky enough to stop ground types

ninjanerd

Puns:
Lithin on a Prayer
The roggenrolla (rock 'n roller) is just here for a gig

I know, these puns aren't exactly a gold mine, but I hit rock bottom recently....

EDIT: For what purpose would you teach a Gigalith Solar Beam?

Ilan

The biggest reason I even put Solarbeam up at all is because it might be used against water and ground-type pokemon espically those with Damp ability, like Quagsire and Poliwrath. Besides, I have no intention on using Explosion. As for Abomasnow, I thought it might use Energy Ball while Hail is in effect at the time.

No explosion= use return no one uses damp LOL

Solar Beam= useless using an earthquake is much more effective than a *4 solar beam which also takes 2 turns to charge on sandstorm that's where gigalith should be btw.
abomasnow is weak to it's STAB so no... it might be a counter but no check.

It have a bad special attack and a HUGE attack, using special attacks is like using deoxys-A or rampardos defensively.

I think when DW gigalith will be released we will see some in sand teams on UU or trick room sand teams.

more bad puns:
Mighty Monolith( gigalith= giga + monolith)
I have only ONE (referring to gigalith's pitiful movepool)
Giga Band (choice band)

Last edited:

MetalCrow

Lololol...on the point of using solarbeam in sand...its base power is reduced to 1/2...aka a base 60power power grass type special attack that takes 2the turns to charge...very trolly, if i say so myself

Vandslaux

It could be worse. Just wait until we get Skarmory. It has literally one good set, with the only real variation being physically defensive V.S. specially defensive and Leftovers V.S. Shed Shell.

I think we did Rollout Shuckle, so maybe SD Skarm?

Kraleck

I still hold true to the fact that 'lith can use Rock Blast quite well. An opponent Sub-Stalling to activate a Berry can be bad for 'lith's health. Getting the same Power as Smack Down, Rock Slide, Stone Edge, and better in one Move:
-2 hits, you get a pseudo-Smack Down or chip off some decent HP past a Sub.
-3 hits is an effective Rock Slide or a fake Smack Down past a Sub
-4 hits gives an impressive mock Stone Edge or Rock Slide beyond a Sub
-5 hits is beyond Stone Edge or a Stone Edge-Powered Move through a Sub

Random, yes, but coming into a Sub gives an opponent a chance to KO you first without it...

Status
Not open for further replies.