• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #7

Status
Not open for further replies.

GameMaster0000

Chaos Nightmare
I ran mix Cloyster set in-game.

Mixster
- Shell Break
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast
- Hydro Pump
Item : White Herb, Life Orb, Razor Fang/King's Rock(If Hax item is not ban)
Ability : Skill Link
EV : 252 Atk / 48 SpA / 208 Speed
Nature : Naive

2 STAB Combine with Rock Blast make it has wonderful coverage. 252 EV for maximum power of Icicle Spear and Rock Blast, 208 EV on speed with +Speed nature make it out speed scarfchomp after 1 Shell Break. White Herb Nagate Low stat make for suvivality. Life Orb for more Power and last Razor Fang/King's Rock is worth due 11.7% flinch with each hit. Icicle Spear and Rock Blast hit 5 times so chance to flinch is rise to 11.7%x5 Nearly Serene Grance flinch hax. Shell Blade can be use too 50% low defence is good and make you can change nature to Jolly and invesment some EV on HP to make him more bulk.

Last edited:

Pichu47

Fear Me, If You Dare
Cloyster Move set

;091;Spiky Lead;091;

Nature: Impish
EV’s: 252 defense, 252 hp
Item: Focus Sash
Ability: Skill Link

Moves:
1. Rapid Spin
2. Spikes/Toxic Spikes
3. Icicle Spear
4. Whirlpool​

Rapid spin is to spin off entry hazards. Spikes or Toxic spikes is to set up your own hazards, it depends which attack you want though. Icicle Spear is for straight-out damage. Whirlpool is my little thing I put in this set as kind of a last ditch move before you get KO’d. It traps the foe so you can send in a counter without fear of the opponent fleeing for an easy knockout. Focus sash is to hang on if hit by a special attack.

Last edited:

Del Mundo

Ghost Fan
(HOLY KRAP!!! CLOYSTER!!! MY ONE OF MY ALLTIME FAVORITE POKEMON!!!)

MixVersion1

Naughty-Life Orb/White Herb?/Focus Sash
Skill Link
252Atk 252Spd 4SAtk
Shell Break
Hydro Pump
Icicle Spear
Rock Blast

Max Atk and Spd all the way. Hydro Pump is to OHKO Skarmory after a SB. If no LO, take 84Spd into SAtk. Rock Blast and Ice Spear abuse Skill link and are great for power, and cutting through substitutes. though Hydro pump and Rock Blast have shaky hp. Focus sash and white herb can possibly be used to save that nice natural physical bulk.

MixVersion2

Rash-Life Orb
Skill Link
252Atk 132SAtk 124Spd
Shell Break
Hydro Pump
HP Fire
Rock Blast

This ev set can gut through a careful max sdef skarmory. hp fire kills any ferrothorns trying to ruin your day. For your physical attack, rock blast is there for coverage and gets gyarados even after its initimdate. 80 accuracy still scares me though. Speed is in the 400s which outruns everything in the norm. choice scarfs and speed abilities can get him.

I mean I calculated eveything assuming you only use one SB. You're a lucky guy if you can use two to turn into a fast fraile shell death machine!

BattleFrontierChampion

Factory Head Noland
ANNOYSTER
CAREFUL / SASSY NATURE
MAX DEFENSE EV'S
SKILL LINK
CLAMP
WHIRLPOOL
TOXIC / TOXIC SPIKES
PROTECT / ICICLE SPEAR​

haha seems pretty dang annoying to me. might not be the toughest pokemon to handle, but will annoy the crap out of anyone who stands in its way.

artbomber_97

Ultimate Aritist
^ Seriously? Clamp and Whirlpool? Lol.
Anyway Cloyster is the best attacking lead in the OU metagame, with Shell Break, Cloyster reaches 524, outspeeding lots of things except Scarfed 115 Base and Doryuuzu in the SS; and 578 Attack stat, which is respectable. But priorties rape it anyway.

Cloyster.png

Cloyster (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Skill Link
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd; -SpA)
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast
- Shell Smash
- Shell Blade
Shell Smash is duh. Shell Blade, even though has low base power, it has a nice 50% chance of lowering the foe's Defense stat. (Wish Jirachi has this one lol). Icicle Spear is a good STAB move, good Sash breaker and Sub breaker, and helped by Skill Link. Rock Blast is another cool Skill Link move, with 25 base power.

I ran mix Cloyster set in-game.

Mixster
- Shell Break
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast
- Hydro Pump
Item : White Herb, Life Orb, Razor Fang/King's Rock(If Hax item is not ban)
Ability : Skill Link
EV : 252 Atk / 48 SpA / 208 Speed
Nature : Naive

2 STAB Combine with Rock Blast make it has wonderful coverage. 252 EV for maximum power of Icicle Spear and Rock Blast, 208 EV on speed with +Speed nature make it out speed scarfchomp after 1 Shell Break. White Herb Nagate Low stat make for suvivality. Life Orb for more Power and last Razor Fang/King's Rock is worth due 11.7% flinch with each hit. Icicle Spear and Rock Blast hit 5 times so chance to flinch is rise to 11.7%x5 Nearly Serene Grance flinch hax.

This is pretty much THE Cloyster set. BTW King's Rock'd Icicle Spear has a 47% of flinching which is pretty massive when you are hitting THAT hard.

SazandoraMASTER

♥ PSG ♥
Cloyster...a very unexpected Pokemon i didnt see coming to the POTW. Oh well
Cloyster: @Leftovers
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Skill Link
-Icicle Spear
-Ice Shard
-Rock Blast
-Substitute/Waterfall
Eeh to be honest, i dont really like Cloyster and i suck using it! Well, i gave it a shot. Icicle Spear for STAB and works great with Skill Link. Ice Shard for priority. Rock Blast for coverage and also works great with Skill Link. Substitute to hide while sweeping. Waterfall for Water STAB.

mastersid

A good moveset for cloyster--
ability-skill link
moves- 1)shell break
2)spike cannon/rock blast
3)icicle spear
4)ice shard/mud shot
EXPLANATION-Shell break is the MOVE that makes cloyster so popular in this generation,breaking shell lowers defense and sp. defense but it increases the attack,sp.attack and speed of cloyster.now talking about the second move we have spike cannon and rock blast and the similarity is that both can be hit 5 times.the difference in them is the power and accuracy - rock blast has 25 power that means 125 base power (hits 5 times) but it has 90 accuracy and 10 PP.Spike cannon has 20 base power that gives 100 power and with 15 PP and 100 accuracy.choice is yours!!.
now the third move icicle spear is better than both the moves given above and it has STAB but it will not hurt some common weaknesses like fire whick rock hurts but still it's good.and the last move can be ice shard that is same as aqua jet that hits first.other than this mud shot is also a good move because it decimates cloyster's weaknesses like FIRE and STEEL and is normal with water and fighting..

THis is an ideal moveset for Cloyster... :)

windsong

WEST SIDE
Spike Cannon is a bad move that should never be used over Rock Blast, just saying. And it should never be slashed with rock blast either, as that says that Spike Cannon is viable when in fact, it isn't.

Also, sure, some spiker sets might be viable, but let's face it, they basically suck this gen.

And also it should be mentioned that SpecsChamp OHKOs you with Hyper Beam after the SpDef drop from Shell Break.

Aquadon

TCG Trainer
Considering that everyone's pretty much posting the same set over and over, I think i might try working on other sections of the PotW article.

Counters
Cloyster’s sports 4 weaknesses, all which are unfortunately very common. Being an Ice-type, it’s weakness to Rock allows Stealth Rock to strip a good 25% of its HP every time it switches in, leaving it incapable of using its Focus Sash if you have one equipped. Also even after you’ve set up, Priority moves can come in and easily wreck Cloyster. Mach Punch users like Conkeldurr, Breloom, or Infernape can take a good whack at Cloyster (even more so after Shell Smash has reduced it’s Defense), and Vaccum Wave can do even more due to Cloyster’s pitiful Special Defense stat (Infernape can also learn this, as can Lucario). Speaking of its Special Defense stat, if you’re not facing a supporting Cloyster, most Neutral Special moves should do a lot of Damage, as a 50/45 bulk isn’t going to be walling that much. Simply put, and unfortunate as it sounds, there was a reason Cloyster didn’t get much usage back in Generation IV, and those threats are still around today.

Epicpip

My stache' is better
Ugh. Clam/Oyster whatever it is I don't like it. I want Typhlosion!

Anyhow, I say that Machamp could decimate it. After a shell break a Dynamic Punch could destroy it. Or at least confuse.

rukarion

lucario trainer
MMM... let me think
Tough as steel cloyster
carefull nature
moves
icicle spear
toxic
razor shell
swagger

item: rechargable battery/focus sash
EVs 255 defence/255 sp def/255 attack/255 hp
this just tries to block many OHKOers
special set
(send out and abomnasnow out)
blizzard
surf
withdraw
toxic

calm nature

partners
garchomp
abomnasnow
gallade
all these counter super effective moves

Aquadon

TCG Trainer
Abilities
Skill Link: So this ability was around back in Generation III, although it took until now for it to finally get good. While in previous generations moves like Icicle Spear and Rock Blast got a boost to always hit 5 times, now with their improved Base Power they can deal 125 Damage as opposed to 50 in previous generations (that’s before Icicle Spear’s STAB). Factor that in with the fact that you’re demolishing Substitutes and still hitting them for Damage after the fact, and you got some lethal moves on your hands (and a fair means to stop a SubPuncher).
Shell Armor: While formerly my choice of ability on Cloyster, now probably the most useless ability out of the three. While preventing Critical Hits is nice, the chance behind a possible crit and the superiority of its other abilities puts Shell Armor at the bottom of the barrel.
Overcoat: Despite being and inferior Magic Guard, man this ability is good. Prevents damaging weather moves from damaging Cloyster, although it already had a Hail-immunity. Pretty much means that Cloyster can switch into a Sandstorm and not have to worry about taking 6.25% damage on each turn. If you’re feeling particularly gutsy that means that you could switch in and possibly threaten the Sand Streamer (of course you have to be wary of a Stone Edge to the face). Now all we have to do is wait for it to come out on the Dream World.

Partners for Cloyster
As a Pokemon whose Rock-weak, a good Spinner makes a nice partner to get Cloyster in safely and Shell Break (possible with a Focus Sash to make sure it doesn’t get OHKO’d). Forretress or Hitmontop are good partners as they share none of Cloyster’s weaknesses, although other Spinners like Donphan or Claydol could do the job too. Cloyster could also work well on weather teams, as it already has a Hail-immunity and with Overcoat it could be viable on a Sandstorm team (be careful though, as both Sand Streamers are weak to Grass moves and Tyranitar is also weak to Fighting moves). Cloyster could also use some Wish Support if you wanted to work with that, and any Wish Passers like Jirachi or Latias are plausible. Many sweepers will enjoy Cloyster’s ability to (Toxic) Spike, although if Cloyster itself is Sweeping it requires a little bit of legwork.

garchompkid

use ice,water and ground moves for best coverage

pikamanepicfail45

<dont dis da awsmnes
cloyster sucks at dealing with his counters. but if you give it 252 def ev's and a life orb, then it can survive a conkeldurr's Mach Punch and use an icicle spear. usually it dies on the next turn

cloyster sucks at dealing with his counters. but if you give it 252 def ev's and a life orb, then it can survive a conkeldurr's Mach Punch and use an icicle spear. usually it dies on the next turn

He already survives Conkeldurr's Mach Punch. It does 67% max after Shell Break. Even Breloom needs a boosting item or Stealth Rocks to guarantee a OHKO.

Much more importantly if you're going to spend any EVs at all on bulk it should go into HP.

pikamanepicfail45

<dont dis da awsmnes
didn't know that. I've never fought Conkeldurr with a cloyster, so i was making an assumption. and with the evs in defense, it does ~50%.
Conkeldurr i faced that used pwnage-
Ability- encourage(?)
leftovers
hammer arm
superpower
payback
bulk up
seriously i dont know what compelled this guy to use a set like this, but it OHKOs cloyster with hammer arm or superpower. it doesn't get any drawbacks from its attacks

Why would you use Hammer Arm and Superpower on the same set?

Also because Cloyster has such low HP and such high Defense if you are to ever invest in Cloysters defenses it means you ALWAYS MAX HP first. Maxing HP gives you about 25% more durability, maxing defense improves it by only about 16% (and doesn't do anything to help your special defense).

Reno

so adorable...
is hydro pump as useful as I think it is?

I'm sure I did some calculations and after shell break it OHKOs skarmory.

Status
Not open for further replies.