• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
That would give you two Stealth Rock weak Pokemon. Shandera doesn't even kill bulky waters that get in Cloyster's way although he does get rid of the bulky steels.

Grassmaster411

Dont, move, a muscle
AWSOME!! its great to have a 5th gen potw that didn't get a meintion in 4th gen.
not a big fan of cloyster, bur heres what I got.

Moves:
surf
aqua ring
ice beam
????

never really used it much, but it was a sp attack.

pikamanepicfail45

<dont dis da awsmnes
That would give you two Stealth Rock weak Pokemon. Shandera doesn't even kill bulky waters that get in Cloyster's way although he does get rid of the bulky steels.

yeah, but if they have stealth rock they're usually phyically weak (like Blissey)
or specially weak (like Gigalith).

Gigalith has sturdy, though. all of them ( i just checked) have one good defense stat and one below average. with the exception of ferrothorn, but it dies from one fire attack.
wait Probopass has 2 good defense stats, however it would die from a hp ground.
if you use them as a lead, then they don't get hurt from SR in the first place

Last edited:
That doesn't make sense, virtually all teams have Stealth Rock. Having a Blissey doesn't make you physically weak because you have 5 other Pokemon to make up for it.

ASB

Weather Team Hater
Max speed beats out Gyarados, Dragonite, and Blaziken before a Shell Break (and +2 Blaziken after).

But don't you want to use Shell Break AFTER your opponent attacks on the first turn so they don't do as much damage (unless you're using a White Herb)?

Gyarados is the only one I'd want to take a hit from and its Stone Edge OHKOs after Stealth Rocks anyway. The other two decimate Cloyster in one shot (Blaziken does 108% minimum with NO item and Dragonite does 86.3% - 102.1% with 0 SA LO Fire Blast). Theres also Breloom to deal with and in a pinch outrunning it may win a game for you (you easily live through a Mach Punch at +0, but not always Bullet Seed)

GirlKirbyZombie

Pokemon Rancher
Here I am with another double/triple tip.

For triples, you can partner up with a Blastoise and an Infernape/Typhlosion and have them use their oath moves. While the rainbow is being set up, have Cloyster shell break. Cloyster should have a Jolly nature and be raised with max speed and attack so the speed boost will be more effective. Here are some moves and such that the Cloyster should have:

Item: King's Rock
Ability: Shell Armor
Moves:
Icicle Drop
Ice shard
Secret Power (for possible Parahax)
Shell break

Or if you are willing to raise a Hasty Nature Cloyster for a mixed sweeper, here are some good moves:

Item: King's Rock
Ability: Shell Armor
Moves:
Icicle Spear
Water Pulse
Ice Breath/Icy Wind
Shell Break

I hope I did a good job. I forgot that Cloyster can't learn Waterfall. ._.

PhilosophicalPsychologica

Why would you use Hammer Arm and Superpower on the same set?

Also because Cloyster has such low HP and such high Defense if you are to ever invest in Cloysters defenses it means you ALWAYS MAX HP first. Maxing HP gives you about 25% more durability, maxing defense improves it by only about 16% (and doesn't do anything to help your special defense).

I would think 252 Def would at least be more physically defensive than 252 HP?

I would think 252 Def would at least be more physically defensive than 252 HP?

With pokemon that have a defensive stat that is much higher than their HP, it is best to maximize HP instead of the defensive stat to maximize it's ability to take hits, like Shuckle. Pokemon with a high HP stat but lower defenses normally maximize defenses before HP, like Hariyama.

ultimatedarkrai

Forbidden Empire!
I don't know. Hydro Pump one shots physical Skarmory and Icicle Spear OHKOs Special defensive Skarmory. Hydro Pump does more damage to stuff overall though but Shell Blade is more reliable.

Special defensive skarmory may be OHKOed, but how many skarmorys are special defense?

Silver Totodile

-Cloyster-

Special Shell

Nature:

Quiet

Ability:

Shell Armour

Moves:

Shell Break
Brine
Ice Beam
Explosion/Toxic Spikes/Hail

Using:

Brine is a super move when used to the best of its ability, that being when the opponent’s HP is less than half full. Other than that then it is rather useless, luckily Ice beam is used to get rid of the bulky grass/ground types and also takes care of some flying types, and when powered up with shell break, ice beam can also be used as a good weapon against Dragons.

The final slot is a very tricky space to fill. Hail chips at your opponents HP, while setting up Toxic Spikes would be a good idea if Cloyster is sent out first. If you’re feeling very risky, however, then explosion may be for you. After all, it will take a while for anyone to take Cloyster out with physical attacks so you should have plenty of warning before the end comes; giving you time to use explosion.​

Del Mundo

Ghost Fan
It might be possible that Cloyster will be moving completely to the OU tier.
If it does, I personally think that all of the defensive sets won't really be useful in OU as they could be in UU.

ASB

Weather Team Hater
Why do people keep putting Ice Shard in Shell Break sets? I say it should be in Other Options at best, even though it could possibly net you a few hits on pokemon that outspeed you. Am I missing something huge?

Why do people keep putting Ice Shard in Shell Break sets? I say it should be in Other Options at best, even though it could possibly net you a few hits on pokemon that outspeed you. Am I missing something huge?

It's actually quite useful. It helps give you a shot against priority users which, believe me, are in great supply these days. Notably it hits Breloom and Dragonite for SE damage. The problem with this is a lack of coverage, but Icicle Spear is going to be hitting a huge portion of the metagame hard enough anyways.

Icicle Spear + Rock Blast OHKOs a huge portion of the metagame while the water move is only useful on a small number of things (pretty much anything tougher than Blaziken that resists Ice / Rock, though this is a surprisingly small list). Ice Shard removes Breloom as a counter and takes down a 35% Roobushion.

It also revenge kills some dragons as said above, and takes care of frail Scarfers like Lati@s and Gengar which are pretty much the only things faster than you after a Shell Break. You even do 50-60% to Doryuuzu!

Crobat Ray

PO Username: Ray !
Since Cloyster have HUGE defense so it can be acted as a physical wall if you don't want a Skarmory. Anyway this is my favourite Cloyster set:
Haha!! Fooled you!
@ Lum Berry
Skill Link/ Shell Armor
252 HP/ 28 Atk/ 228 Spe
Impish
-Shell Break
- Spikes
- Icicle Spear/ Icicle Drop
- Explosion

If you use Shell Smash, then the opponent would think "This thing gonna sweep my team" so 70% they will switch to a counter or a sturdy wall that lols at him.

Implying the opponent switches into his worst nightmare, Ferrothorn. Usually they will tw first, which you used Spikes. Then he will switch or Gyro Ball. I can't calculate damage yet but I think it will survive it. Use the second Spikes. And if they switch into a special attacker on the third turn you may want to Spikes or just go boom

Caution: Skarmory

Status
Not open for further replies.