1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We're currently having an issue where e-mails sent to gmail accounts are not going through and are bouncing back. We're currently working to resolve this matter and apologise for any inconvenience
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Community POTW #70

Discussion in 'POTW Collaboration' started by Serebii, Mar 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Serebii

Serebii And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared... Staff Member Admin

2. Neosonic97

Neosonic97 Fastest thing Alive

Oh boy, this thing.

Let's go over its stats and abilities:

Base Stats: 100 Across the Board- Good

Jirachi doesn't lack in any area to be specific due to its base stats being the Mew-Brand 100 across the board. It's decently bulky, decently fast, hits decently hard, but... it doesn't particularly excel in any area, either.

Its typing is great, though, and its ability, well...

Ability: Serene Grace.

This ability. OH GOD, THIS ABILITY. Remember how Togekiss loves Flinchhaxing its foes to death? Well Jirachi does it too, except better because it's faster! It also gets plenty of moves for the job, such as Iron Head and Zen Headbutt. It can also use Serene Grace to assist its HUGE movepool of other moves, such as Body Slam, The Elemental Punches, Psychic, Shadow Ball, Flash Cannon, Thunder/Bolt, Water Pulse and more.

However, Jirachi's stats leave it a lot to be desired, so what people REALLY enjoy regarding Jirachi is its large support movepool. Here's one such moveset using that movepool.

I wish for rocks!
    Jirachi
    Ability: Serene Grace
    Item: Leftovers
    Nature: Careful (+SpD, -SpA)
    EVs: 248 HP, 108 SpD, 152 Spe
    - Stealth Rock
    - Iron Head
    - U-Turn
    - Healing Wish

This Jirachi's role is simple: Set up Rocks, Flinchhax stuff, U-Turn to pivot out against switchins like Magnezone, Heatran or Lando-T, and when you're about to bite the dust, Healing Wish to restore a wounded ally.
    It uses high HP and SpD investment to check the likes of Mega Diancie, Magearna and ESPECIALLY Tapu Lele, whom Jirachi is one of the best checks to. The Speed EVs allow it to outspeed Jolly Tapu Bulu to threaten it with Iron Head, as well as Magnezone and Tyranitar, so it can avoid being trapped. Leftovers is to increase Jirachi's longevity, and while Jirachi doesn't have a choice but to use Serene Grace, that 60% flinch chance on Iron Head is great.

3. generic villager #5

generic villager #5 Your ad here!

Does anyone still like mixed Jirachi for this gen? I haven't seen much of it if so, but I think its broad movepool and solid offensive stats make it useful despite the changes to OU. Granted, the set always had its flaws, in particular its EV spread, its inability to hit as hard as some other sets, and of course, the loss of speed (and therefore reduced flinch hax) from not having a Choice Scarf. I haven't tried using it yet so I wouldn't know how well it works in practice.

4. Sceptile Leaf Blade

Sceptile Leaf Blade Happy Minun

I haven't seen Jirachi being used at all this generation, not even once. Of course it being banned in regular play is a big bummer for it, it's just not powerful enough to compete with the likes of Primal Groudon, Primal Kyogre, or Mega Rayquaza. When with max Sp.Atk your Thunder can't 2KO Kyogre and your Dazzling gleam can't 2KO Rayquaza you're in for a rough time. To compare, Primal Kyogre can OHKO with Origin Pulse, Primal Groudon OHKOs with either Precipice Blades, Fire Punch, or Overheat and Life Orb Mega Rayquaza can OHKO with Earthquake. For doubles it gets Helping Hand, Icy Wind, and Gravity but not much else, it really wishes it'd get Ally Switch, it's one of the few Psychic types not to get it, and Ally Switch + Wish is a pretty good combo in doubles.

Also, is it just me or is it really weird that Jirachi gets all these punching moves (like Thunder Punch, Ice Punch, Fire Punch, Drain Punch) while barely even having arms?

5. MetalSonic

MetalSonic Orderan' Defendan'

It's just lacking in power and people tend to be very wary of more popular mixed attackers such as Jirachi, especially if it doesn't receive lefties like a usual defensive rachi would. It's just underwhelming in the face of this gens current walls unless is scoring 4x damage with its luring moves on the popular mons it tends to lure in like Lando, Scizor, and Heatran. Though once it has succesfully chunked a Pokemon like that, you could say it's done its job so long as there's a Pokemon in the back of your team that'll appreciate it!

All in all; it's decent at luring still.

Wooper proved anything can punch!

~~~

[​IMG]
    rach it crissy (Jirachi) @ Normalium Z
    Shiny: Yes
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Happy Hour
    - Iron Head
    - Zen Headbutt
    - Fire Punch / Drain Punch

NO, LEAVE ME ALONE, THIS IS A FUN SET.
    Z-Happy Hour can make for a surprising late game sweeper once all checks and counters have been cleared, of course. Z-Happy Hour gives Jirachi a +1 boost in every EV'able stat aside from HP, and from there you just pick an appropriate coverage move and attempt a sweep. Even if you can't OHKO something with a +1 hit, chances are your +1 speed will allow you to outspeed and flinch it! Even if they do break through; there's a chance you'll live the hit due to your +1 defenses! See where im goin with this? Lastly we have Fire or Drain punch. Fire Punch can more readily break through mons that can tank Jirachis other move like any common OU steel aside from Heatran and Drain Punch can help you hit the aforementioned Heatran and especially Greninja.

6. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Active Member

If you want to go mixed, you should choose between Iron Head & Zen Headbutt and Psychic & Flash Cannon. Choose the opposite type.
    Also, I would recommend a special or mixed set having Charge Beam. It has a 70% chance of raising your special attack, so it is effectively a 100% chance with Serene Grace.

7. Smokin' weedle

Smokin' weedle Well-Known Member

So a set i like to use is av jirachi

Jirachi @ Assault Vest
    EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Modest Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk
    - Charge Beam
    - Flash Cannon
    - Psyshock
    - Moonblast/ancient power

Because av doesn't allow for cm boosting charge beam is a good moves to keep getting those boosts. Flash cannon is a good STAB move and even has a chance to drop sp.def. psyshock is goos for special walls, dealing good damage. Moonblast is mostly coverage, but also has a chance to drop sp.atk, making av even more effective. Ancient power could be used to get a scummy boost in all stats, but even 20% chance is relatively low, and 60 base power is not the best.

8. MetalSonic

MetalSonic Orderan' Defendan'

all this talkin about a mixed set but no ones postin one! ><

[​IMG]
    Jirachi @ Expert Belt
    EVs: 32 HP / 100 Atk / 124 SpA / 252 Spe
    Naive Nature
    - Iron Head
    - Thunderbolt
    - Fire Punch
    - Icy Wind

Alrighty well, I find this set gets the best all around-coverage in OU so this is the mixed set i'll be going for! 100 Atk EV's allows it to 2HKO max max Clefable pretty much 100% of the time after Leftovers and bolsters Fire Punch which is already hitting the things its supposed to like Ferro, Scizor, and Kartana really hard. The speed has been maxed as to always be able to outpace its common lures in Zygarde, Lando-T, and even Mimikyu. T-Bolt is mosly there to round out the coverage and hit things like phys def Skarm hard, Greninja on the switch, and is your coverage against waters basically. Against unbearably bulky waters, however, you'd better have another plan. 32 HP gives you a sizably higher chance to live uninvested Lando's EQ, but you could bolster the SpA if you feel its not worth the HP. Like I said, this set gets pretty OUniversally great coverage and every move has the potential to benefit the team in some shape or form by luring and severely weakening a check or popular Pokemon for another teammates benefit. I find that staples to lurerachi are Iron Head, Fire Punch, and Icy Wind so the other move can be mixed and matched for your teams convenience, Psychic hits Pex harder. If you go Psychic, you may wanna drop the 32 HP into SpA soz you can always 2HKO it on the switch after rocks. Hidden Power Ground is almost exclusively for Heatran, 2HKO's solely max HP variants. Grass Knot is viable against Swampert who otherwise gives Jirachi the business due to its tight typing. It aaall depends on what your team already coverzzzzz

sorry for two sets but i really like Jirachi

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  9. HeatEdgeSword

HeatEdgeSword Member

I guess I should be covering Jirachi for Doubles then. More specifically, Doubles Ubers as it was banned there in Generation 7. Jirachi is easily one of the best redirectors around here. While the demand for setting up isn't high in Doubles Ubers save from the obvious Geomancy, Jirachi still serve its role relatively well there.

Jirachi @ Sitrus Berry
    252 HP/ 92 Def/ 164 SpD
    Nature: Impish

Follow Me
    Trick Room/ Icy Wind
    Iron Head
    Protect

Follow Me is Jirachi most defining move, it redirects any single-target attack to it.
    Icy Wind and Trick Room are for speed control.
    Iron Head has a high chance of causing the target to flinch thanks to Serene Grace. Useful for crushing the opposing Xerneas' hopes and dream.
    Protect is an important arsenal in Doubles, that's all.

Jirachi is usually the one that does the support. However, if one so desired, Tapu Fini can assist Jirachi by with its Misty Surge ability, protecting Jirachi from the dreaded sleep status.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.