• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #71

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Got an absolute classic today. One of many people's favourites from Generation I

18.png

Pidgeot, the fully evolved form of the first Bird Pokémon obtainable. It can be pretty decent when used right

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/018.shtml

Go nuts

TimmahX

Wasn't it discussed a while ago that we'd consider doing "Horrible Flying Type Week" as a special? ._.

Overview

Pidgeot is the original Normal-Flying type. That said, they're generally really terrible, besides Staraptor and Braviary which are... sort of more useful? It has Tailwind + Hurricane and two attack moves most of the time. It's not bulky enough to be running around with Roost. Not even with Featherdance + Roost, which I'm sure other Pokemon outclass it in using.

018.gif

Bird strike!
Nature: Jolly
EVs for Every Pidgeot: 252 Atk, 252 Spd, 4 HP
Item: Focus Sash / Life Orb
Ability: Tangled Feet

- Brave Bird
- Tailwind
- Whirlwind
- Return / U-Turn

Okay, I'm pretty sure that this is the only viable set besides Featherdance + Roost. And as I said, there are better options for that. Brave Bird is your go to STAB attack because Return doesn't hit Ghost types. Tailwind provides fun team support, doubling your team's speed for a while which is great fun with Choice Band users that come in to revenge kill after Pidgeot inevitably kicks the bucket. Whirlwind phases and picks up entry hazard damage. Return is another STAB move, but U-Turn can scout or get Pidgeot out of dodge after Tailwind is set up with Focus Sash. Life Orb offers more damage however.

How to Counter Every Normal-Flying Type

Stealth Rock, Stone Edge, Rock Slide, Ice Beam, Blizzard, Ice Shard, Thunderbolt, Rain + Thunder.

Pidgeot's main... well they're hardly niches anyway, but it has Tailwind and Whirlwind. If it is on a team with Spikes support, you will want it gone ASAP. That said, it has a horrible typing with frighteningly... average defenses and speed. Anything with Suction Cups should get an easy kill if its going with the Whirlwind route. If you want to kill it before it gets out Tailwind, you're gonna need to outspeed and overpower it. Ice Shard users immediately come to mind: Donphan, Mamoswine, Weavile, Lapras, etc.

Last edited:

grantholomew

accually is dolan
018.gif

PIDGOOOOOOOOOOOTOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Pidgeot @ Choice Band/Life Orb
Trait: Tangled Feet
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Jolly (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Brave Bird
- Return
- U-Turn/Pursuit/Steel Wing
- Roost/Quick Attack

Pretty simple Pidgeot moveset, depending on your attacking style and choice of items. Before you kill me, note that Steel Wing is for hitting Rock-types and Ice-types. This thing is still walled by Steel-types.

Missingno. Master

Poison-type Trainer
Don't Get So Worked Up
Pidgeot@Focus Sash
Timid nature
Keen Eye/Tangled Feet
252 Spd/252 Sp. Atk/4 HP
~Work Up
~Uproar
~Hurricane
~Heat Wave

Pidgeot has decidedly average stats, but it's not like it can't make use of them at all. Work Up boosts both of Pidgeot's offensive stats, though Special Attack's the only one what matters here. Uproar and Hurricane are for STAB, and Heat Wave is for additional coverage.

Item is to help ensure at least one Work Up. Ability doesn't actually matter as they all suck.

Bandeot
Pidgeot@Choice Band
Jolly nature
Keen Eye/Tangled Feet
252 Spd/252 Atk/4 HP
~Brave Bird/Aerial Ace/Wing Attack/Pluck
~Return/Double-Edge
~Pursuit
~U-Turn

Pidgeot can also work with a physical set with its superior Attack stat, though its physical movepool is a different story. Pidgeot can learn two powerful STAB moves in Brave Bird and Double-Edge, just not both at once. I'd advise going with Brave Bird, as it still has Return to fall back on as a Normal move. If it goes with Double-Edge, however, the next best options are Aerial Ace, Wing Attack, and Pluck. Yeah. Pursuit and U-Turn give it some semblance of coverage.

Item is obvious, ability, yeah, yeah.

Pidgeospecs
Pidgeot@Choice Specs
Timid nature
Keen Eye/Tangled Feet
252 Spd/252 Sp. Atk/4 HP
~Uproar
~Hurricane
~Heat Wave
~Hidden Power (Dragon)

Pidgeot can also run a specs set, which works like the Work Up set without the risky setup turn. Uproar and Hurricane are for STAB, Heat Wave and HP Dragon are for coverage resisted only by Flash Fire Heatran (which Pidgeot has no business facing in any case).

Item, ability, you know how this goes.

Other options:
*A physical Work Up set is possible, but as two of Pidgeot's best physical moves give recoil, it's very risky.
*Ominous Wind and Hidden Power Fighting provide better coverage on the Specs set, but Ominous Wind is too weak to be really reliable.

Abilities:
*Keen Eye: Pidgeot's Accuracy can't be lowered. Borderline useless, given that nobody bothers with accuracy lowering moves.
*Tangled Feet: When Pidgeot is confused, its Evasion increases one level. Pidgeot's only feasibly useful ability, and even then, nobody's really gonna be reaching for Swagger or Confuse Ray when facing a Pidgeot. If the Evasion boost remained after the confusion wore off, that might be a different story.
*Big Pecks: Pidgeot's Hidden Ability. Currently legal on Pidgeot, but probably the most useless ability it has. Pidgeot's Defense can't be lowered. Nobody bothers with the likes of Leer or Screech, and even with attacking moves that have defense-lowering as a side effect, nothing runs Crush Claw when Return is an option, and the only thing that would possibly run Razor Shell, Cloyster, has much better moves to take on a Pidgeot with.

Partners:
Wish support and Rapid Spin/Magic Bounce are crucial. Smashpassing doesn't hurt, either.

Counters:
Pretty much any super-effective move with sufficient power behind it will thrash Pidgeot into oblivion. Cloyster in particular destroys it with Icicle Spear or Rock Blast, though it really ought to watch out for STAB Hurricane, given its paltry Special Defense. Pidgeot might be easy enough to take down, but all the same, be wary of its attacks. When its attacking stats are boosted by Work Up or an item, it really can make a dent in an unprepared team.

Opinion:
It's impossible to hate on a classic, really. Pidgeot is really cool, but sadly will forever be remembered not as a menace on the battlefield, but as the thing that got us safely across the skies of Kanto.

Prediction for next week:
Minun

SkyDriver

Hiding in the grass
special Pidgeot
Pidgeot @ Choice Specs/Life Orb/Focus Sash
timid nature, 252 SpA/252 Spe
-Air Slash/Hurricane
-Heat Wave
-Hidden Power [ice]
-Ominous Wind/Tailwind

Because it's special attack is just little worse than its attack, it is able to run a special moveset. Air Slash/Hurricane is STAB. Heat Wave is for steels. HP [ice] is for dragons and other flying types. Ominous Wind for Ghosts and Psychics, or Tailwind for some speed.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
I like to be unconventional, and Pidgeot is actually quite a bit better for that then Heatmor. Pidgeot gets some fun moves, just too bad it lacks Baton Pass or Solarbeam (it'd still be bad if it got those though, but it'd make Pidgeot more cool). I have to be honest, the last time I actually used Pidgeot was way back in the times of Crystal.

Sun Support Pidgeot @ Heat Rock
Modest nature
252 Sp.Atk, 252 Speed, 4 HP
-Sunny Day
-Heat Wave
-Tailwind
-Hurricane

This set is really not Pidgeots best way of going, but Pidgeot can provide sun support. Tailwind provides Pidgeot and its team with speed while the sun boosts Heat Waves power. Hurricane is bad in the accuracy department but it packs quite a punch, and has a good chance of confusing your victims.

mixed Pidgeot @ Life Orb
Hasty nature
252 Speed, 128 Atk,128 Sp.Atk
-Work Up
-Heat Wave
-Brave Bird
-Steel Wing

Pidgeot can go the mixed route, using Work Up to boost both its offensive stats. Brave Bird is STAB, Heat Wave covers steels, and Steel Wing covers ice and rock types like Jynx. Steel Wing is a guaranteed 1KO against Jynx without defensive investments with Stealth Rock support. When boosted by Work Up, you don't need SR anymore to OHKO Jynx with Steel Wing.

Last edited:

Mav-san

F*cking veteran
Poor Pidgeot is outclassed by almost every Normal/Flying type in existence. Like Heatmor before it, it has no niche whatsoever, so it can only suck a little less:

Poor Pidgeot tries to sweep @ Life Orb
252 Speed, 252 Atk
Nature: Adamant
- Brave Bird
- Steel Wing
- Quick Attack/Return
- Roost

And then hope you can actually manage to scratch the hide of something with this. Or use something better otherwise. Right, Staraptor?

Last edited:

Snorby

Snorby
Overview: Pidgeot is the OG Bird of pokemon. It has some of the best abilities out there in the form of Keen Eye which basically blocks mud slap.... Which your immune to anyway. It gets tangled feet, which can be used if your opponent is foolish enough to confuse you. And to top it all off, We have it's DW ability Big Pecks, which stops Tail Whip from ruining your day. It also has a monstrous base 91 in it's best stat, speed! And if that's not enough for you, it gets exactly 18 moves (including hidden power) that aren't either normal- or flying-, and a whopping total of 6 of these are usable! So, If you're looking to prove you fear nothing, Try a Pidgeot!

Pre-Evo corner-

Pidgey.
Pidgey is THE best pokemon to use in Ubers, no questions asked. If you want the ultimate pokemon, look no further. Here is it's movest that can destroy worlds:

Pidgey@Iron Ball
Keen Eye
Brave Nature
255 Att 255 SpA
0 IVS in every Stat
-Foresight

The Almighty Pidgey, who brings down Arcues with it's sheer power, runs only one attack. Why? Well, What more does it need? If your opponent foolishly does not disconnect at the sight of this destroyer of worlds via team preview, He will have a very painful battle ahead of him. Pidgey's only attack is foresight, even though it already can stare into your soul. The sheer power of this stare has forced Blissey to it's knees, doing an unfathomable 0 hp points!. Iron Ball because Pidgey doesn't need speed or it's ground immunity to kick ***. Max Attack and Special attack because Pidgey will have ungodly high single digit attacking stats. 0 IVs in all stats because Pidgey simply does not need them, he's conquered galaxies with less. Brave nature because Pidgey is the bravest, most valiant pokemon in the universe. By the way, Don't even consider using Pidgeotto, It's the worst pokemon in the universe.

Counters:

A counter? To Pidgeot? UNTHINKABLE! It is the ultimate pokemon, and despite it's weakness to Rock, Ice, and Electric, it's amazing base 83/70/75 defenses will simply shrug off all attacks. It's crippling weakness to stealth rock can be shrugged off by the sheer power of it's being.

Last edited:

Kraleck

Last week I mentioned Pidgeot had more bulk than Heatmor. Now we realize how little it matters...

Above-Average HP, Average Attack, Below-Average Defense, Below-Average-Bordering-Bad Specials, and Above-Average-Bordering-Good Speed would make Pidgeot "Rather Average," but Stealth Rock takes you down a peg. Rather useless Abilities make it lose more footing in the standings. Predictable Moves from a shallow Movepool is just another broken foothold.

Tangled Feet - Raises Evasion while Confused. Okay, but you have to risk hurting yourself, especially if you're Confused with Attack buffs.
Keen Eye - Useful against Muddy Water and Night Daze's rare Accuracy debuff and...that's about it.
Big Pecks - Useful against Iron Tail, Crunch, Crush Claw, and Razor Shell's occasional Defense debuff, but there are usually always better Moves of those Types to aim at Pidgeot.

Charizard Lizzy

BARRELS!!!
Pidgeot! I’ve always loved the design. :3

Shame Pidgeot falls into the “generic bird Pokémon” category like so many of its relatives - generic defenses, just under ideal Speed, and (without boosting) unimpressive Attack and Special Attack. However I don’t think it’s completely useless. It is funny to say that it’s more special because of Heat Wave, but yeah - it covers its Ice weakness as well as prevents Steels from walling it. Work Up is unfortunately Pidgeot’s only offensive boosting move, but it can really help it sweep better.

Abilities:
Keen Eye - Prevents Pidgeot’s Accuracy from being lowered by the opponent. Not that great an ability, but probably better than the others.

Tangled Feet - Raises Pidgeot’s Evasion when confused. I guess this ability’s okay, too. Not a life saver, but at least it gives Pidgeot some “hax” dodging.

Big Pecks (Dream World, available) - The opponent can’t lower Pidgeot’s Defense. I hate this ability, I really do. So many bird Pokémons’ ability choices are locked out because of this useless ability. Who’s going to bother lowering your defenses? Most bird Pokémon don’t even have worthwhile Defense to speak of, and especially not Pidgeot. Utter junk; ignore this ability at all costs.

;018;
Work dem chicken thighs
Item: Life Orb
Ability: Keen Eye / Tangled Feet
EVs: 252 Spd / 128 Atk / 128 Sp. Atk
Nature: Hasty (+Spd, - Def) / Naïve (+Spd, -Sp. Def)

- Work Up
- Brave Bird / Aerial Ace / Air Slash
- Heat Wave
- Steel Wing

Work Up boosts both Attack and Special Attack. Brave Bird is Pidgeot’s strongest Flying move and deals massive damage at the cost of recoil. But if you really, really, really don’t want recoil from both Brave Bird and the Life Orb, Aerial Ace is the most reliable Physical alternative or Air Slash for Special. Heat Wave is Pidgeot’s “niche”, letting it strike particularly Steel types (ignoring Heatran) and prevent being completely walled. Steel Wing hits Ice and Rock-types hard.

The Life Orb gives even more power to Pidgeot’s attacks.

Other Options:
U-turn to scout... I guess.

Pidgeot gets Hurricane, which is best in rainy weather, but you’d have to sacrifice using Heat Wave, which isn’t recommended.

Whirlwind is available, but other Pokémon are better suited to use it.

Tailwind can support the whole team as well as give a much needed boost in Pidgeot’s Speed.

I’d love to mention Roost, but... Pidgeot isn’t ideal for it because of its defenses.

Barbeller

Scatter Brained
Be good if we got actually decent NU pokes.

Anyway, I guess you could do a Mixed lure for Dragonite/Ferrothorn/Scizor or something with Brave Bird/Heat Wave/Hidden Power [Ice]. You've also got the obvious Band Brave Bird, and possibly a support suicide for Life Orb sweepers? And the trolls will be happy when they realise it can act as a sub-par Specs pokemon.

Brave bird everything.....eot.@ choice scarf/band
252 Speed, 252 Atk/ 4 HP
Nature: Adamant
- Brave Bird
- Steel Wing
- Quick Attack/Return/double edge
- U-turn

Hit hard, hit fast, and die very quickly to recoil. simple.

Pidgeot really deosn't have much going for it... good speed and HP but only decent attack, though its bulk can have if function as a defensive poke.

SubStall
Pidgeot @ Leftovers
Nature: Jolly (+Spe, -SpA) / Timid (+Spe, -Atk)
Evs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
~ Substitute
~ Roost
~ Toxic
~ Brave Bird / Heat Wave / Whirlwind

A really odd set, but can be very functional. Pidgeot's good speed allows it to tie with neutral base 105's, as well as outrunning positive base 90's and below. However, with max speed invested, this set is designed to break down anything slower with Toxic while behind a Sub, with Roost giving you nice recovery. This is particularly useful against walls, who normally can't break your Subs due to Pidgeot's HP investment. Brave Bird porvides a powerful STAB move at Pidgeots disposal, with 4 attack evs giving it a little push, while also not making the bird Taunt bait. However, Heat Wave coming off Pidgeot's slightly lower SpA can hit Steels who are immune to Toxic. If using that, the nature should be switched to Timid, and the 4 evs placed in SpA. Whirlwind is an interesting option, as it allows you to phaze out those that don't fear Toxic, such as Steels, and works well in conjunction with hazard support. If this is used, the 4 evs should be placed in a defensive stat, though the attack options are superior, as they allow Pidgeot to do something if Taunted. Leftovers provides residual recovery, which is always good.

Last edited:

ASB

Weather Team Hater
Unrelated, but upon reading the previous PotW I feel it's worth the effort to say that if the word "it's" is ever mistakenly used in place of the word "its" EVER again in a PotW feature someone's gonna die.

Ilan

I Suggest putting the rest of the generic bird of every gen swellow,noctowl,straptor and unfezant (only straptor and swellow are the good ones)

I mean if BH agree...

but oh well
Pigeot is better than delibird heatmor and unown!

Dodtrio,fearow and braviary share the same typing but are better than pigeot.. poor pigeot I liked him in gen 2 he was my favorite.

I don't have any idea what set to give him because he is so outclassed.

MetalCrow

Pidgeot...another one of those pokemon who have to live down being outclassed by something similar to it, and within its own generation...for those of you who don't know of what i'm talking about....Fearow...nuff said...

Anyways...i see slight trolling potential with moves like mirror move and featherdance, roost, toxic, etc...but, even then, there is outclassing in some slightly higher tiers for skrewball trolling

Status
Not open for further replies.