• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #72

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetalCrow

Ok, i'm going to comment on a variety of subjects here without actually quoting anybody( cuz it's a pain to do on my phone) so bear with me...

1) Spore is nice and all, but like all status moves, it gets bounced back by Magic Mirror...ya know, so you can't just throw it around so easily all the time...Personally, i keep a xatu on every one of my uu and ou teams, just for the utilty...just sayin...smeargle might be gettin kinda sleepy...

2) Ok, i agree that the FEAR sets are awesome and all, but still ...thes should be the 4 attacks: Foresight/Endeavor/Extremespeed/Filler + Focus Sash...I mean, come on...it has the means to beat ghosts on a switch, so why not abuse Foresight?

Without further to do, i give thee my perish trapper set:

Smeargle + Leftovers
Jolly +252Speed/252HP
-Perish Song
-Block
-Endure/Substitute
-Protect/Recover

If they cannot 3KO you, then this set cannot be beaten...Like walls and Blisseys and Dusclops and Magicarps...those sorts of things...or you could replace one of the last slots with Ingrain just for the pure joy of trolling

ScarySalamence

Poketopia Master
an Audino with simple beam/swagger would be a good partner for the standard set, speeding up the process

Smeargle
@focus sash
foul play/extremespeed
spore
guard swap/power swap
trick room

Smeargle has craptastic attack so why not use the opponents? dont use power swap and foul play at the same time, that would be pointless.

sbktdreed

Veteran Trainer
Damage Set
Own Tempo w BrightPowder/Leftovers/Ring Target
Timid/Jolly Nature (Since the only good stat is its speed)
255 HP & 255 Speed
Night Shade
Seismic Toss
Dragon Rage
Toxic/Will-o-wisp/Endeavor

Recover
Ability, Nature, and EVs are the same.
Item: Big Root
Leech Seed
Aqua Ring
Will-o-wisp
Night Shade/Dragon Rage/Seismic Toss

Partners
Teeter Dance users, like Lilligant, if Own Tempo is going to be used
Heal Pulse users

Countering
Generally, any speedy pokemon with fighting-type moves (most likely Physcial) like Mienshao, Infernape, Focus Blast Accelgor, Reversal Yanmega, Close Combat Staraptor, Raichu, Focus Blast Charizard/Typhlosion/Sceptile, or Low Sweep/Focus Blast Zoroark. Otherwise, one with Trick Room in effect like Scrafty, Drain Punch Seismitoad, Jump Kick Stantler/Sawsbuck, or Golurk.
Brick Break users like Salamence, Floatzel, Weavile, Garchomp, or Ambipom; in case of Reflect/Light Screen movesets.
Revenge users like Cacturne, Druddigon, or Bouffalant.

Because there's a very good chance the moveset will be Status-based, you should also consider:
Guts users like Throh, Machamp, or Hariyama.
Magic Guard users like Clefable, Sigilyph, Reuniclus, or Alakazam.
Magic Bounce/Magic Coat users like Xatu, Lopunny, or Porygon-Z.

Last edited:

Kraleck

Offensive Set
Ability: Own Tempo/Moody
Stats: Jolly (or Timid), Max Speed & HP EVs, rest to either defense
Item: Focus Sash/Choice Scarf
Moves: Spore, Seismic Toss, Foul Play, Night Shade

Basically, you can put opponents to Sleep, use their own Attack stat against them, and hit for fixed amounts of damage. If you can't put enough of a dent in an opponent, switch. A Choice Scarfed Spore will be a good setup for Smeargle's allies if the opponent is vulnerable to Sleep.

Jolly and Timid are the best Natures for this set because you don't lower either defense with them and the damage you'll output is independent of your own offensive stats. Jolly is preferred in case of Struggle, though. Not that you'll ever see it, most likely, but just in case...

Ilan

Why the hell dark void have a mention... sleep clause and lower accuracy than spore...
s@weird name ferligart guy why dragon rage even got a mention 100 HP>40 Hp

so the fear set: extreamespeed,foresight,spore, endeavour ?
well my set + foresight on the last slot :p

Power Swap is a gimmick tried it with shuckle did MEH.. it cripples but only till the switch.. and it don't give too much....

Smeargle should had prankster then he would be Uber :p

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Damage Set
Own Tempo w BrightPowder/Leftovers/Ring Target
Timid/Jolly Nature (Since the only good stat is its speed)
255 HP & 255 Speed
Night Shade
Seismic Toss/Final Gambit
Dragon Rage
Toxic/Will-o-wisp/Endeavor

Ring target is useless and Final Gambit is a gimmick. Use spore instead.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Why the hell dark void have a mention... sleep clause and lower accuracy than spore...
s@weird name ferligart guy why dragon rage even got a mention 100 HP>40 Hp

so the fear set: extreamespeed,foresight,spore, endeavour ?
well my set + foresight on the last slot :p

Power Swap is a gimmick tried it with shuckle did MEH.. it cripples but only till the switch.. and it don't give too much....

Smeargle should had prankster then he would be Uber :p

Prankster then would be near broken. Using quiver dance smeargle is using an inferior Venomoth though he does get spore but throw a zoom lens at venomoth then you pretty much have it.

Rayofquazar

Smeargle... The pokemon able to use every move in the game_a thing even mew cannot do_ finds itself forced to use only support options and gimmick attacks because of it's stats. While far from the best pokemon ever, smeargle is a very potent supporting pokemon. A load of things shuts it down mainly taunt. A taunted smeargle is a dead weight! But it's a lot of fun. When you use this pokemon is like playing a poker game, you throw it in the battlefield putting on your best pokerface and hope that your opponent won't guess what's in your hands. Gamble with smeargle, but if the strategy succeeds, you will have an unstoppable team.

Since a lot of you have done the "Boosting move", "Spore", and "baton pass", I'll try to make something new that also competitively viable. Note that it's not that different from the others but with minor changes.

Smeargle@Damp rock/Heat rock
Ability: Own tempo
Nature: Increase speed!!!!!
Evs: Increase speed and defenses!!!
Moveset:
-Rain dance/Sunny day
-Spore
-Toxic/Will-O-wisp/Thunder wave
-Foul play/U-turn

In the lower tiers where weather is rare, this guy can provide some weather support to it's team. Item is what weather you want, extending it's period to 8 turns. So, all you want to do, switch in, spore, cripple his/her next switch in with status of your choice, set up your weather and then switch out to a pokemon that can use the weather effectively. Foul play is here not to be taunt bait using the opponent's strengh that in most cases (95%) of the time will be higher than smeargle's. U-turn won't do massive damage but the goal of using it, is for smeargle to switch out safely while avoiding taunt in the same time.

Another possible set:
Smeargle@light clay
-Spore
-Reflect
-Light screen
-Foul play/U-turn

Easy, switch in, put the opponent's pokemon to sleep, set up dual screens while trying not to be set up bait or taunt bait with foul play! Switch out to a frail sweeper like "Heatmor?" and you'll have a very powerful bulky sweeper. Same here for U-turn as for above.

Imagine smeargle with prankster!!! Oh man! It will be best prankster user ever!!!!

Last edited:

John Wallrein

I am the walrein
My favorite Smeargle to use, well the only one I use. In RU it is can be devastating if the opponent makes even one mistake.

Smeargle (Level 1) @ Focus Sash
Nature: n/a
EV's: n/a
- Spore
- Trick Room
- Endeavor
- Dragon Rage

A great Trick Room abuser. Almost always should start the game, and only start the game, as as soon as hazards are up it's ruined. First turn use Spore. Then Trick Room. Then proceed to spam Endeavor + Dragon Rage, KO'ing countless amounts of Pokemon while your opponent cries themselves to sleep thinking about how they allowed a lv 1 Smeargle to take out half of their team.

Ishnura

Smeargle's the name, Speeds my game
Timid Nature
Choice Scarf
252 Speed, 252 Sp Attack, 4 HP
Moves:
Psychic/Extrasensory/Psycho Boost
Fiery Dance/Fire Blast/Blue Flare/Magma Storm
Shadow Ball/Vaccume Wave/Focus Blast
Future Sight/Doom Desire

Honestly, when it comes to speed, its almost the only thing Smeargle is good at. And Since Smeargle Can learn any move, whats wrong with using a so-called exclusive move? The Psychic type moves are for Fighting type pokemon that have smeargle cornered. Psychic is the second most powerful and lowers special defence, extrasensory is the weaker of them but has a lot of PP without even one pp up and may cause a flinch, and Psycho Boost is the most powerful but lowers sp attack as recoil. Deoxys's signature move. your call. not mine
next are the fire type moves. Fiery Dance, Volcaronas signature move, is weaker but it can also raise the Sp Attack by 1 stage sometimes. Magma Storm, Heatrans signature move, traps the opponet and is actually kinda powerful. Fire Blast is stronger, but not as accurate as the other moves. Blue Flare is the most powerful and may cause a burn, as well as being Reshirams second signature move. again, your call not mine
Shadow ball is if your not afraid of being slower or of heatran suddenly appering in NE, but if you think you'll be slower, even with Choice Scarf, theres Vaccume wave if you need it. if either Heatran suddenly appers in NE or your ballsy enough to use smeargle in the higher tiers where Heatran roam, then theres focus blast. your call. not mine
finally, we have stalled moves. Future sight is weaker and bloked by dark types, but has more PP, while Doom Desire is steel type, not easily resisted, but has only 5 PP. must i say what i said 3 times already?

If you dont have acces to one of the moves above, thats okay, i never said that the moves HAVE to be used. but hey, the serebii.net gods can remove them anyways if they want to. their call. not mine

Soperman

The One and Only
Dude...it'z all for the lulz...why so serious?
Lol so was that comment x)

Anyway, Smeargle has Sketch, giving it essentially every move in the game. So what to use? That's right. Baton Pass sets. Set up with Quiver Dance or Shell Smash and pass it to someone who needs it. So fun xD
Its stats are so mediocre you literally can't do anything else with it ._____.

jireh the provider

Video Game Designer
The Moody Ban

Okay, it's easy to see why this ability was banned thanks to Smeargle. Consider the idea of +2 on one stat and -1 on another stat every turn and that Smeargle usually is going to use Spore and a Boosting Move before it leaves play. That's plenty of time to soak up boosts, good or bad.

YES, I REMEMBER FIGHTING pOKE. ONLINE AND I lost to its boosting power passed to a STORED POWER TOGEKISS! I hate smeargle! You son of a banny cheatin bastard! I can't forgive you ...---

Sorry for the exaggeration but really. Watch out for the illegal ability of smeargle or yu could end up being whooped by its friend carrying its super boosted powers.

M4zz

Banned
I'd edit this in later, but why scream the same set 200+ times over and over?

If you ask me, Smeargle was a horrible pick, simply because it only has one set. Nothing else works with it. Even if something did work on it, there would be as least eight Pokemon that do it's job better found in standard play. Smeargle is an extremely poor Pokemon, being useful only on Baton Pass teams, and can be very easy to play around.

I vote to re-name the POTW to "The Half-Arsed attempt at making Serebii look like Smogon, but with Worse Pokemon". The acronym, THASSWP, has a nice ring to it too.

I'd edit this in later, but why scream the same set 200+ times over and over?

If you ask me, Smeargle was a horrible pick, simply because it only has one set. Nothing else works with it. Even if something did work on it, there would be as least eight Pokemon that do it's job better found in standard play. Smeargle is an extremely poor Pokemon, being useful only on Baton Pass teams, and can be very easy to play around.

I vote to re-name the POTW to "The Half-Arsed attempt at making Serebii look like Smogon, but with Worse Pokemon". The acronym, THASSWP, has a nice ring to it too.

Pokemon of the Week is done more for entertainment than to be an online reference (though I'm sure casual players have used it before).

I do agree though I'm getting tired of this string of boring useless Pokemon that no one cares about.

philzone

Ready for trumpets
Also, try this set
Endeavor punch
Endeavour
Bullet punch
Spore/dark void
Quick guard.
Brave
Evs, 252 speed, 252 att 4 sp att.
Nature, own tempo/moody
Item. Focus sash
This is a classic that isn't wasted on smeargle. Except for health regain items. With its awful defence stat, it goes well. It needs lower speed, but it is ok as a suicide lead. Endeavor+bullet punch is amazing if you add a focus sash, most pokemon fall. Then, if it is fast enough, it can use spore to put others to sleep, and destroy them, but needs to watch out for ferrothorn and rocky helmets. Quick guard is for priority moves.

The precious set
Nature: Jolly/Timid
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Spd, 4 Def
Item: Focus Sash
Ability: Own Tempo

- Shell smash
- Spore
- Extreme speed
- Baton Pass
simple. spore then smash then switch.if your opponent has prioity(I.E. they attack, you spore, they send in scizor on the turn you smash) extreme speed will let you do something before dying, and sleeping something kinda akes it out of the game so its a 1 for 1 I guess. If they are choiced and you get a free send in to set up ,even better.

counters
Espeon/xatu will destroy it. Priority allows you to stop the smash pass, but something will have been slept by then, which is bad. Something with protect/toxic orb, faster status or immunity to sleep should help. Perish songing him works well also.

Doubles/triples options:
There is no point in him being in doubles/triple except to use dark void, in which case he wil need a scarf to stop all the earthquakes, rocks slides, surfs and heat waves killing him before he can do any thing. And alot of people play sleep clause, so really that set puts a random pokemon to sleep, nothing more. So overall, not a doubles/triples guy.

Partners:
Nidoking. Smash pass to a life orb sheer force nidoking with 3 speciall attacks and 1 physical attack, and kill EVERYTHING.
Several other things can be passed to, but that requires a whole team. Smashpass to Espeon is one of 5th gens most stupid things cause stored power/hp fight/shadow ball/ re baton pass. Passing with a chain you need espeon, vaporeon and ninjask are generally good as well, and then espeon or someone else as a finisher.

An00bis

Wicked Witch
One of my favorite Pokemon. All my favorites are worthless.

Overview:

Smeargle is rather infamous for its ability to learn just about any attack. Unfortunately its only good at using about ten of them. It's only even remotely usable stat is Speed, and it requires significant investment to even get the best of that. This Generation Smeargle gets Shell Smash as its most notable improvement being one of three Pokemon capable of passing it. Even this isn't enough to save him from falling from grace, however, as several new threats have lead to his fall from grace.

Smeargle's niche is that he can pass whatever your Team needs. Shell Smash, Nasty Plot, Rock Polish, Belly Drum. Whatever the flavor of the week is. Smeargle's role will almost always be supportive. With a pitiful 20 points in either offensive stat he isn't going to be KOing anything.

Generic Smeargle

Smeargle @ Focus Sash / Sitrus Berry / Red Card
Nature: Jolly
EV: 252 Spe. / 252 HP / 4 Def.

- Spore
- Baton Pass
- Lunar Dance / U-Turn
- Belly Drum / Shell Smash / Quiver Dance / Nasty Plot / Rock Polish / Ect.

Spore is the backbone of any Smeargle set. If it hits it almost always gaurentees the turn you need to set up whatever your heart desires. This Generation you cannot Spore without fear. There are just too many threats.

Baton Pass, because Smeargle isn't going to be capable of using whatever he's passing.

Pick a Boost, because Smeargle can learn them all. Consider the needs of the Pokemon you're passing to when choosing your weapon of choice. In some cases the old standby Belly Drum can be superior to Shell Smash. Specifically when you need the additional attack more then a speed boost.

Lunar Dance has been buffed this Generation. Completely healing one of your Pokemon at the end of your turn can give you the edge you need to win a battle. Use Lunar Dance after Smeargle has successfully passed once or when you know he won't survive to pass so his loss will not be completely in vain.

or

U-Turn can be used as an option over Lunar Dance. It's designed to get Smeargle out of a bad situation more then hurt the opponent. When I say " opponent " I mean Espeon or Xatu on the switch.

Other Options

Ingrain / Seismic Toss / Night Shade / Destiny Bond / Aromatherapy / Spikes / Toxic Spikes / Stealth Rock / Rapid Spin / Will-o-Wisp / Thunder Wave / Toxic / Taunt

This is pretty much the extent of Smeargle's usable movepool.

Ingrain sounds good on paper. It would ensure that you and whatever you're passing boosts to will not be easily phased. Smeargle doesn't really have the endurance to risk an additional turn setting it up, however.

Seismic Toss or Night Shade are Smeargle's best bets for doing any sort of offensive damage. It chops 100 HP off the top of whatever your opponent might have. Note that either attack will not hit certain types of Pokemon so choose an attack based on personal preference.

Destiny Bond can be fun when bringing your weakened Smeargle back in after a successful pass. One of your best (and only) bets of directly KOing something with Smeargle.

Stealth Rock, Spikes, and Toxic Spikes are all in your disposal. Smeargle doesn't exactly excel at setting any of these hazards, but can prove to be a decent addition to team built around entry damage.

Alternatively Smeargle can Rapid Spin for you in the lower tiers. Why you would want to do that is another question entirely. At least he's better then Delibird at spinning, so there's that.

Smeargle gets more then just Spore as a status inducing move. Will-o-Wisp and Thunder Wave can cripple your opponent's sweepers before Smeargle goes down. Toxic, as always, wears down unprepared walls.

Aromatherapy can be used on a more supportive set but Lunar Dance is vastly superior to it. If you're that worried about your entire Team being wrecked by Status it may be better to have a dedicated celeric.

There are better Taunters in the game. Smeargle can still Taunt slower Pokemon to prevent their setup and buy more time.

Item Choice

Focus Sash is the go-to item for most sets. It's only really reliable if you lead with Smeargle since even even a mild breeze can render it completely useless.

Sitrus Berry is useful on a Belly Drum set since it allows you to drum twice even after Stealth Rock damage. It also allows you to drum if your opponent actually manages to hit, but not kill, you.

Red Card can be used for the same reasons Sitrus Berry can. On contact your opponent switches. You might be able to scrape by an extra turn to setup while they get their bearings.

Counters

... where do I begin?

Magic Bounce almost singlehandedly evicted Smeargle from Standard Play. You can no longer Spore with reckless abandon. Smeargle can do absolutely nothing against either Magic Bounce user except run for its life.

Priority, particularly Mach Punch or Vaccume Wave usually means the end of Smeargle's passing dreams. If you're not sashed Mach Punch will almost always OHKO you.

Phasing is even more common with the arrival of Dragon Tail. Ingrain can negate the possibility, but you may still be killed outright by the average Dragon Tail user.

Taunt shuts down 99.9% of Smeargle sets. It doesn't help that there are a slew of new Prankster Pokemon that also get Taunt which ensures they'll get theirs off before you can Spore them.

Finally, any non-Ghost attack will put a dent in Smeargle. Focus Sash is its most recommended item for a reason. Spitting in its general direction is usually enough to KO it.

Doubles and Triples

Soon ... because it's bedtime.

Status
Not open for further replies.