• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #75

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASB

Weather Team Hater
Awesome, a former Scarf master that's kinda fallen from grace due to the power creep in Gen 5 among other things.

tomjames1966

Flygon, the insectoid dragon.

My claws tear the earth
Nature: Careful
EVs: 189 Sp. Def, 67 Def, 252 HP
Item: Chesto Berry, Apicot Berry, or Yache berry
Moves:
Home Claws
Fissure
Dragon Tail
Roost/Rest

A moveset so devastating that it is banned. The hone claws give fissure boosted accuracy and dragon tail more power. Ice types will be your worst enemies, so having rest or roost handy is the best way to go. Weakness? HAZE and CLEAR SMOG!!! Also, any pokemon with sturdy, levitate, and a flying type can stop it, too.

Read the post below. I made the same mistake!

OHKO moves aren't affected by accuracy or evasion modifications. Fissure would still have 30% accuracy.

Nice glasses, these!
Nature: Modest/ Timid
Item: Choice Specs
EVs: 4 HP/252 Sp.Atk/252 Spd
Earth Power
Draco Meteor
Fire Blast/ Flamethrower
Hidden Power [Rock]/ Giga Drain

Another Standard Choice, this set works like the previous set, just off Flygon's Sp.Atk instead. Draco Meteor is your Dragon STAB, just don't use it if you want to keep in for a long time. Earth Power is your secondary STAB, and hits many Pokémon for SE damage. Fire Blast is to dispose of Ice Types, while Flamethrower is there if you don't like Fire Blasts accuracy. Hidden Power [Rock] gives Pseudo EdgeQuake coverage, Giga Drain is there for recovery while still doing damage.

Prediction for next week
Again, Weavile (come on RNG!)

Meowmeow

selfproclaimed guru
Flygon is pretty good. That's really it though. It's not great, just good.

Solar Dragon
Nature: Modest
EVs: 252 sp attack and speed, 4 hp
@: Life Orb

Dragon Pulse/Draco Meteor
Fire Blast
Earth Power
Solarbeam/Sunny Day

Flygon can be used in sunlight pretty well. It is pretty odd, but it works quite well. It does require Ninetails support. In UU, Sunny Day can be used over Solarbeam.

Flygon's a Boxer
Nature: Adamant/Jolly
EVs: 252 attack and speed, 4 hp
@: Life Orb

Outrage
Earthquake
Fire Punch/Screech/Hone Claws
Roost/Screech/Hone Claws

Ground and Dragon have great coverage. It sucks that Flygon doesn't have Dragon Dance, but lets work around that. Beyond STAB, Fire Punch hits the floating Steel Types Skarmory and Bronzong while Roost lets you recover Life Orb recoil. Hone Claws will power you up. Screech is the closest thing to Swords Dance Flygon has.

Flygon Special Attack
Nature: Modest
EVs: 252 sp attack and speed, 4 hp
@: Life Orb/Choice Specs

Dragon Pulse/Draco Meteor
Fire Blast
Earth Power
Roost/Giga Drain

Gimmicky, but very doable.

Flygon's ultimate gimmick
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 hp and speed, 4 attack
@: Leftovers

Sand Tomb
Screech
Outrage
Earthquake

This is gimmicky, but kind of doable. Not really.

The biggest issue Flygon has is the lack of any big stats and a reliable boosting move outside of Hone Claws, which is not enough. Flygon would have loved Dragon Dance. Even Work Up at the very least would be usable.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Nobody has yet mentioned Quick Attack, but it's not a bad move at all on Flygon, especially with set up.

Flygon @ Life Orb
Jolly nature
252 Atk, 252 Speed, 4 HP
-Hone Claws
-Dragon Claw / Outrage
-Earthquake
-Quick Attack

fairly self-explanatory

Flygon @ Life Orb
Timid nature
252 Sp.Atk, 252 Speed, 4 HP
-Fire Blast
-Earth Power
-Dragonbreath
-Draco Meteor

Flygon can do special too. Earth Power is reliable STAB, Fire Blast is support against Skarmory, Bronzong, and balloon Metagross. Draco Meteor is your high power move, and Dragonbreath is a neat support move that is in my opinion underrated, with its really nice paralyzing chance. Most foes won't expect being paralyzed by a Flygon at all, so it has a nice surprise factor. Besides you already have your other moves covering the higher power needs.

Other options:
-Giga Drain isn't powerful, but it carries surprise to any water type thinking they can switch in and Ice Beam you down. Apart from Swampert and Quagsire it barely hits harder than Earth Power though
-Iron Tail is a powerful move, yet not one that Flygon really needs. Steel just doesn't have any super effective coverage addition to its conventional moves and neutral coverage is not something that Flygon lacks
-Mimic is just cool to have in your movepool, but generally not useful in a moveset.
-Roost can be used to recover health
-Sand Tomb can trap foes. It's not really good as it takes a turn to use before the opponent is trapped, but it isn't bad at all, especially on unconventional sets that require different counters from the generic set.
-Stone Edge can be useful in combination with Hone Claws to kill flying types
-Tailwind can be used as support.

Opinion:
Flygon may not be the best pokémon in the world, but it is unique and it is quite good. It also boasts a very large movepool for the UU tier, and it can be quite unpredictable due to all the things it can do. It can support, attack physically, attack special side, and it has quite a bit of resistances. It works well in doubles due to its immunity to Discharge and Earthquake, its resistance to Heat Wave and Rock Slide, and it has its own Heat Wave and Earthquake as well. It also resists Stealth Rock, is immune to Spikes and Toxic Spikes, and it works well in both sun and sand. Flygon is really cool.

Last edited:

Aurath8

Ah, Flygon. He has probably the best offensive typing in the game, Dragon/Ground. Levitate means he is immune to Spikes and Toxic Spikes and takes minimal damage from Stealth Rock, making him a very low maintenance Pokemon to use and can be simply slapped on a variety of teams with little thought. The only thing letting him down is his stats. He's stuck with average 80/80/80 defences and while 100 Speed is good 100 Atk and 80 Spatk are hardly threatening compared to his OU brethren, Salamence, Dragonite, Haxorus and Hydreigon. He also lacks good boosting moves such as Dragon Dance, having to make do with Hone Claws if he wants to setup. He still has his amazing STAB coverage and the lack of many Steels means he remains a big UU threat.

3 attacks + Roost
Flygon@Life Orb
Jolly
252 Atk/252 Spd/4 Spdef
Levitate
-Outrage
-Earthquake
-Fire Blast/U-turn
-Roost

This really abuses Flygon's ability as a low maintenance sweeper. 3 attacks + Roost gives you consistent power and freedom from the Life Orb while you can Roost when given an opportunity allowing you to sweep again.
Your STAB moves of choice cover all of UU (bar Bronzong). Fire Blast takes care of it as well as Shaymin, Tangrowth and Escavalier. You could also use U-turn to keep up offensive pressure and do decent damage to Grass, Psychic types and the odd Zoroark.

Counters
Flygon is pretty hard to Counter in UU. Scarf variants tend to U-turn at first sign of trouble, Band variants 2KO the majority of the tier and Life Orb variants are free of the restrictions of prediction and can heal themselves for another sweep.
Eviolite Gligar is probably your best bet to try and counter all this. 252/252 Gligar only takes 37.72-44.31% from a Choice Band Outrage. It can then use Toxic and stall it out with Roost. It takes minimal damage from any other Attacks being 3KOed by LO Outrage and 4KOed by Choice Scarf Outrage.
Bronzong is another big one. It's the only Pokemon in the tier that resists it's STABs and has a strong Gyro Ball to retaliate with. It does have to watch out for Fire moves though. Slowbro is a pretty safe bet. Bar CB Outrage it fares quite well and has Regenerator.
If Flygon doesn't have a Scarf, then a lot of Pokemon revenge it. Frosslass, Weavile, Azelf etc. all prey on it's average Defences with their wonderful speed and offences.

Flygon is versatile, low maintenance and quite a threatening Pokemon to go up against. While outclassed by all other Dragons (bar Altaria), Flygon is really at home in UU and will probably remain a big threat right through this generation.

Star Champion AJ

3 attacks + Roost
Flygon@Life Orb
Jolly
252 Atk/252 Spd/4 Spdef
Levitate
-Dragon Claw
-Earthquake
-Fire Punch/U-turn
-Roost
Changes in bold.

Outrage takes away Flygon's freedom during 2-3 turns and leaves him confused and allows your opponent to switch to a Steel type or a Pokémon with Ice Shard (mostly via revenge kill)
Also I would use Fire Punch over Fire Blast because of the chosen nature and Fire Punch has better accuracy than Fire Blast.
I agree with your comment about Flygon being a low maintenance sweeper (as long as you don't find an Ice type Pokémon or a Water type with Ice type moves).

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Special Sand
Flygon@Life Orb
Timid nature
Levitate
252 Sp. Atk/252 Spd/4 HP
~Dragon Pulse
~Heat Wave
~Earth Power
~Giga Drain

A special version of the previous set. Same general idea behind it. Dragon Fire coverage, Ground move, filler. Though in this case, the filler move is Giga Drain, for restoring lost health from Life Orb.

Item and Ability I already explained.

Flygon can't learn Dragon Pulse and I like the idea that you predict a NU for the next POTW:)

EDIT: sbktdreed summed up the problem with dragon pulse, sorry

Last edited:

sbktdreed

Veteran Trainer
Personal Moveset
Item: Yache Berry
Dragon Claw
Earthquake
Flamethrower
Stone Edge

All-Physcial
Item: Muscle Band/Life Orb
Adamant
252 Attack/252 Speed/6 Defense OR 172 Attack & Speed/84 Defense/82 Sp Defense
Dragon Claw/Outrage*
Earthquake
Stone Edge/Rock Slide
Hone Claws/Crunch/Aerial Ace/U-Turn/Fire Punch*

All-Special
Item: Wise Specs/Life Orb
Modest
252 Sp Attack/252 Speed/6 Defense OR 172 Sp Attack & Speed/84 Defense/82 Sp Defense
Draco Meteor
Earth Power
Flamethrower
Toxic/Sandstorm/Signal Beam/Giga Drain*/Ominous Wind*

* Gen 4 Move

Partners
Earthquake-uses if you use Dig
Clear Smog/Haze-users if you use Draco Meteor and not hold a White Herb like Weezing or Gengar.
Sandstorm-users holding a Smooth Roch or Tyranitar/Hippowdon
Safeguard/Heal Bell/Aromatherapy-users if you use Outrage as well as Skill Swap-user with Own Tempo like Grimpig.

Countering
Gravity/Smack Down-users
High Defense pokemon with Ice-type moves like Ice Shard Donphan, Starmie, or Ice Punch Lopunny, Ice Fang Gliscor. If Trick Room is in effect, Blizzard Glaceon/Frost Rotom/Slowbro/Walreign/Gorebyss, Blastoise, Ice Fang Huntail/Feraligatr, and Ice Punch Dusknoir are recommended.
Avalanche-users like Cloyster, Vanilluxe, Swampert, Mamoswine, and Beartic.
Other pokemon include Froslass and Weavile.

Last edited:

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Other Options:
Tailwind- this is a good support move but Flygon isn't cut out for it
Signal Beam: provides some coverage

@sbktdreed like I said to MissingNo. Master, Flygon can't learn Dragon Pulse and dragonbreath is useless. Also all Chandelure don't run Clear Smog and Faint Attack, as well as Fly shouldn't be used on flygon

Star Champion AJ

Other options: Roost is good for recovery but use life orb. It's secondary effect won't work on flygon and I'm not sure if that's a good or a bad thing. (mostly bad in flygon's case!)

Roost can be good or bad depending of the situation.
Unlike Dragonite and Salamence, Roost retains Flygon's Ground immunity (unless your opponent used Trick to pass an Iron Ball or a Target Ring), Gravity is in play or your opponent used Worry Seed.
Unlike Dragonite and Salamence, Roost retains Flygon's 4x Ice weakness.

Rayofquazar

Just stop! Stop comparing flygon to the other OU or even Uber dragons in the game... Flygon is between the very few of dragon type pokemon to be used in a tier that is not OU or above and in the UU tier it shines so brightly that no other dragon type even tries to faint it's light! Sure, there are plenty of better dragons in the game but flygon is the best dragon in UU facing competition from no other dragon types (altaria is defensive while druddigon is completely different). Flygon is backed by a wonderful movepool, although better in the previous generation where it had easier access to some stronger moves like outrage and fire punch loosing some good coverage and making it relies on flamethrower or fire blast, it is still good enough to make flygon a huge threat. Flygon's STAB grants it great coverage and with an ATT stat respectable enough, it will leave deep holes in your opponent's team with stabbed earthquake and outrage. It's defenses are balanced but not amazing while it's typing makes it a target for Ice type attacks. Nevertheless, Flygon is a respectable pokemon in every aspect, even in uniqueness: It's based off of an insect, but it's not a bug type, it have wings and can fly but it's not a flying type. It's first form has nothing to do with it's other forms, it's completely different that it also has a different typing, different abilities and an all in all different usability. Speaking of trapinch it is the only pre evolved pokemon that is better than it's own evolution not counting eviolite or other items. Trapinch, have the highest attack stat of all arena trap users (diglett and dugtrio being the others) making it a very good trapper and revenge killer under trick room. Vibrava on the other hand is no where near as usable even in the NFE tier having mediocre stats and an ability not as useful.
This family of pokemon is very unique indeed and does not trade uniqueness with power as other pokemon do, but it is still a very frightful family to face even with it's smallest member!

Flygon@choice band/Choice scarf
Ability levitate
Nature +Speed , -DEF/Sp def or +ATT, -DEF/Sp DEF
Evs: 252 ATT/ 252 SPD/ 4 HP
Moveset:
-U-turn
-Outrage/Dragon claw
-Earthquake
-Crunch/Fire punch/Fire blast/Quick attack
A very straight forward set! Attack until your opponent's fall using the move that is most effective against it. Outrage is the most powerful move flygon has access to (Draco meteor is special) making it a clear choice for the set but if you don't have access to it via move tutors in 4th gen, dragon claw is a viable option but you'll notice the significant loss of power. Earthquake is that kind of move when a physical sweeper can learn it in any possible way, it GOT to be on the set or you're just being foolish! U-turn is for scouting while dealing decent damage. The last slot is for a filler move. While earthquake can hit steel types really hard it fails to KO air balloon users or skarmory. Fire punch is here to cure this issue hitting super effectively and with decent power. For the same reasons as above, you can replace fire punch with fire blast using flygon's mediocre but usable special attack stat. Crunch can be used to hit ghost types and psychic types really hard if you find that a fire type move is not important. Quick attck is just here for quicker opponents but really isn't that useful in providing good coverage or dealing good damage. It's just a priority attack!

Other options: Roost is good for recovery but use life orb. It's secondary effect won't work on flygon and I'm not sure if that's a good or a bad thing. (mostly bad in flygon's case!)
Dragon tail is good for phazing but flygon lacks the bulk to use it effectively but can be considered for a surprise defensive flygon "?"
Hone claws is flygon's solo boosting move... it is better off with using a choice item.
Stone edge is a good attack with good coverage.
Substitute could be added to the defensive set... I really don't know how that would work!!
Flygon's special movepool is very good actually and can be used for a mixed set or a surprise pure special sweeper but it is completely outclassed by physical flygon.

Flygon is not a difficult pokemon to support, just use a partner that can get rid of opposing ice types or and flygon should be fine.

As for next week, I think it will be wailord, as wailords are so huge!! ;)

sbktdreed

Veteran Trainer
like I said to MissingNo. Master, Flygon can't learn Dragon Pulse and dragonbreath is useless. Also all Chandelure don't run Clear Smog and Faint Attack, as well as Fly shouldn't be used on flygon

According to the website, Flygon can learn Dragon Pulse as an Gen 4 TM move, which I believe I stated before I made the change. Dragonbreath can cause paralysis. Clear Smog is an egg move as well as Haze for Chandelure. Flygon is one of only a few pokemon that can Fly that is not weak against Thunder like Dragonite, Altaria, Salamence, Golurk, Hydreigon, and Volcarona.

Rayofquazar

Roost can be good or bad depending of the situation.
Unlike Dragonite and Salamence, Roost retains Flygon's Ground immunity (unless your opponent used Trick to pass an Iron Ball or a Target Ring), Gravity is in play or your opponent used Worry Seed.
Unlike Dragonite and Salamence, Roost retains Flygon's 4x Ice weakness.

That is why I was not sure... Sticking with the ground immunity is good but sticking with that 4x weakness is bad! Although roost's effect lasts for one turn, it won't make that difference anyway.

sbktdreed said:
According to the website, Flygon can learn Dragon Pulse as an Gen 4 TM move, which I believe I stated before I made the change. Dragonbreath can cause paralysis. Clear Smog is an egg move as well as Haze for Chandelure. Flygon is one of only a few pokemon that can Fly that is not weak against Thunder like Dragonite, Altaria, Salamence, Golurk, Hydreigon, and Volcarona.
Isn't golurk immune to thunder due to it being ground type? Hydreigon also resist thunder.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl

Ah I see, thanks for clearing that up and I mean the moves are bad, You will never see a Chandelure set with Clear Smog since it is always attacking with full powerful moves, and fly is still hit by Hurricane as well gives your opponent a free turn to set up. Faint attack is weak though U-turn has potential to hit then switch.

Vandslaux

A set nobody's posted yet.

SubRoost

Flygon @ Leftovers
Jolly
100 HP/156 Atk/252 Spd
Levitate
Substitute
Roost
Earthquake
Dragon Claw

Send this in on something the Scarf set threatens, like CB Terrakion. Then set up a Sub, and stall like you would any other SubRooster.

Furret Master

Champion Seeker
Overview:
Flygon is one of those good Pokemon that suffers an inferiority complex. Much like Dragonite was in the shadow of Salamence, Flygon is outclassed by Garchomp, who shares the Dragon/Ground typing. This does not mean that Flygon is bad, however. Flygon sports base 100 Attack and Speed, which are above average (Flygon is only 2 base points lower than Garchomp in terms of Speed). Also, Flygon sports 80/80/80 in his defensive stats, which are only average but not horrible. Flygon has one advantage over Garchomp: the ability Levitate. This gives Flygon an immunity to Ground moves, which it can use to switch on, as well as not being affected by Spikes and Toxic Spikes, something Garchomp can't do. Flygon's movepool also mimics Garchomp's, thus having what it needs to do its job. A double weakness to Ice and not having outstanding stats puts Flygon in the lower tiers, but he is left unchecked, you'll see why Master Drake of the Hoenn Elite Four used Flygon.

Abilities (well, ability):
Levitate: Makes Flygon immune to Ground-type moves, Spikes, and Toxic Spikes. This is a great ability, as it gives Flygon more opportunities to switch in and sweep.

Movesets:

Choice
-Earthquake
-Outrage/ Dragon Claw
-U-Turn/ Stone Edge
-Fire Punch
Item: Choice Band/ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Jolly/ Adamant
EVs: 252 Attack, 4 Sp. Defense, 252 Speed

This set aims to let Flygon be boosted right off the bat and sweep. Earthquake is one of the best moves in the game, and has STAB on Flygon. Outrage also gets STAB on Flygon and hits hard on almost everything. Because Outrage locks you in and confuses you once the move is over, Dragon Claw can be an option, although the power drop is very noticeable. U-Turn allows you to scout and keep your momentum up, but Stone Edge provides some extra coverage, particularly many Ice-types. Fire Punch also covers Ice-types, as well as providing a good way to deal with Bronzong.

The choice item is dependent on whether you are looking for power or to make Flygon more of a revenge killer. Either nature could be run with either choice item, but Jolly with Choice Band and Adamant with Choice Scarf works best. The EVs maximize the two stats Flygon needs.

Non-offensive Flygon?
-Dragon Tail/ Dragon Claw
-Substitute
-Roost
-Toxic/ Tailwind
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Impish
EVs: 248 HP, 252 Defense, 8 Sp. Defense

Flygon isn't really defensive, so this set is very much a gimmick. However, Flygon does sport 2 immunities and 3 resistances, so it may not fail too badly. Dragon Tail is great if you have entry hazards up, which can help you rack up extra damage. If you don't have entry hazards for some reason, Dragon Claw works better, plus it has higher accuracy, power, and priority. Substitute gives you a buffer against status conditions and some damage, while Roost heals off damage done to Flygon, even HP lost to set up a Substitute. Toxic can wear out foes, but Tailwind is if you really want Flygon to give extra support to the team by boosting Speed. It does help Flygon, though, so it is a decent option.

The nature and EVs make Flygon into a physical wall of sorts, but a Careful nature with 248 HP, 8 Defense, and 252 Sp. Defense can be done if you want more of a special wall. Again, this set is more of a gimmick than anything else.

Other Options:
-Flygon can go a mixed route, but with a base 80 Sp. Attack and no boosting moves, it isn't advised.

Counters:
Flygon is not easy to counter, but physically bulky Pokemon can somewhat counter Flygon. Suicune and Milotic can tank some of Flygon's moves and hit back with a super-effective hit. Escavalier can take any non-Fire moves and can strike back with powerful moves like Megahorn. Weavile can desimate Flygon with its powerful STAB Ice moves, but it will need Ice Shard to outspeed a Choice Scarfer. If you can burn Flygon somehow, he won't be able to dish out as much damage. If you can play it smart, you can keep this mini-Garchomp from wrecking your team.

Status
Not open for further replies.