• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #76

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kraleck

Togekiss is a nice counter for the leader of the muskateers. Thunder wave and serene air slash makes it troubled. also aura sphere too if cobalion is on the special side

Togekiss must beware of a very-likely-to-be-on-the-Moveset Stone Edge and the possibility of Volt Switch. Togekiss is slower than Cobal', so you'll likely get a TWave in only if Cobal' is either switching in to counter Togekiss or spending a turn to buff. Counters only work if they can actually take the hit, which is less than likely with Togekiss since Cobal' won't waste a turn to buff against it due to TWave + Serene Grace-boosted Air Slash Flinching. Cobal' is either going right for the throat with Stone Edge/Volt Switch or switching to a Ground Type or something with Volt Absorb/Motor Drive/Lightningrod to punishing you for your lack of foresight...

Chidori__O

A Cobalion...this was on of my first EVed pokemon in black...

Don't Throw Rocks! Don't abuse Swords! But you can use your head
Nature: Adamant
Item:Life Orb
EVs: 252 atk, 152 spe, 100 def or 152 def and 100 spe

-Swords Dance
-Sacred Sword/Close Combat
-Iron Head
-Stone Edge/Rock Slide

First use swords dance. If you have to switch, then switch! You've seen how much damage it'll take from stealth rock! Anyway, sacred sword your opponent. If you really don't care about your defense, then switch to CC. Iron head is another useful STAB move. And then there's stone edge. If you really need the accuracy, change to rock slide.

philzone

Ready for trumpets
chandlure and golurk are quite good at countering cobalion. chandlure resists both of its STABs and can destroy it with STAB fire blast. Golurk resists fighting and can fight back with STAB earthquake. machamp is great at countering, but is slow.

Vandslaux

chandlure and golurk are quite good at countering cobalion. chandlure resists both of its STABs and can destroy it with STAB fire blast. Golurk resists fighting and can fight back with STAB earthquake. machamp is great at countering, but is slow.

Chandelure is killed by +2 Stone Edge. Golurk is 2HKOed by +2 Iron Head, I believe.

Kraleck

If you really need the accuracy, change to rock slide.

Which would involve hacking the game. Cobal' is not capable of learning Rock Slide.

Soperman

The One and Only
Cobalion is probably one of my favorite pokemon from the new generation. I just now realized his name is sort of like "Cobalt-Lion". Cool.
ANYWAY, he's pretty versatile, able to work both special and physical sets. He's pretty defensive, given his good typing. Overall, I like this guy. His ability is Justified, giving him a massive boost from Dark type attacks. He can use Flash Cannon and Volt Switch in special sets, and Stone Edge and Close Combat in physical ones. Frankly, not much else to say about him.. He shouldn't be used in Double Battles, frankly, and the easiest way to counter him is through Flygon or Magmortar. Out-speed him and hit him with strong, Special attacks.

Takeo

Puns
-Baphomet, that satanist goat (lol if you allow it)
-Dance with the devil
-Leadfist
-Musketeer-steel (Click, if you dont know what it is)
-Snap, Crackle and Pop ( I was very drunk, Puking, mind you)
-For Lady Justice !!! (may she be blind but a fine women!! *still buzzed*)
-All for one. And more for me. (...same excuse as before...)
-"I came to join the King's Musketeers." (movie quoted)
-"I can drink anything you put in front of me."(movie quoted)
-On Guard!!!
OR
-En garde!
-"En garde"? French words make me mad!
-Evil doers cower in fear, When they see the Musketeers near.
- "all for one, one for all" (Obvious)
-The Three Musketeers (or say it in french) Les Trois Mousquetaires
-Trojan horse
-There Goes My Hero!
-Executioner

Gave it to you guys early, cuz.
Trollfreak and BH can choose whatever they want from the list.

technically there are four Musketeers, these beasts are based off characters from an old fairy tail
-Athos (A character with a heart of steel) - Cobalion
-Aramis (A character of strong will) - Terrakion
-Porthos (A character who is...dandy) - Virizion
-D'Artagnan (Technically is not one of the "Three Musketeers" in the sense that although he is in fact a musketeer)- Keldeo

Last edited:

insomnimaniac11

I Destroy You!
Cobalion is an awesome pokemon. It has a great speed stat outrunning garchomp and others. It may lack a huge movepool but it has enough moves for a few good sets.

Coburst
Ability: justified- an ability that just barely passes as good but when you switch from a psychic or ghost chances are you dont need swords dance.
Moveset
Metal burst
Thunder wave
Close combat
Iron head
Item: Focus sash
EVs: 252 hp / 252 sp.def / 4 def
Description: Thunder wave can cripple bulky waters while close combat helps take out tanks and is a generally good move. Iron head is mostly filler but has stab and can flinch. Metal burst is used in conjunction with focus sash to take out scarf-chomp or other sweepers such as Latios. The ev spread ensures survivability and makes Cobalion slow enough to Metal burst more pokemon. It is best used with full hp so switching is not recommended for the justified boost.

Double and triple battle options
Weavile. Beat up Cobalion and its a free belly drum with much less hp taken.

insomnimaniac11

I Destroy You!
Cobalion is an awesome pokemon. It has a great speed stat outrunning garchomp and others. It may lack a huge movepool but it has enough moves for a few good sets.

Coburst
Ability: justified- an ability that just barely passes as good but when you switch from a psychic or ghost chances are you dont need swords dance.
Moveset
Metal burst
Thunder wave
Close combat
Iron head
Description: Thunder wave can cripple bulky waters while close combat helps take out tanks and is a generally good move. Iron head is mostly filler but has stab and can flinch. Metal burst is used in conjunction with focus sash to take out scarf-chomp or other sweepers such as Latios. The ev spread ensures survivability and makes Cobalion slow enough to Metal burst more pokemon. It is best used with full hp so switching is not recommended for the justified boost.

philzone

Ready for trumpets

Coburst
Moveset
Metal burst
Thunder wave
Close combat
Iron head

First, whismcott does better for beat up as then it can support it with tailwind or taunt. Metal burst doesn't get negative priority, so you need to go against faster pokemon for it to do damage. One bulky water that counters it is swampert, as it resists thunder wave and returns back with earthquake. Its so slow that metal burst has no effect on it.

P.S. Am I seeing double?

Last edited:

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
First, whismcott does better for beat up as then it can support it with tailwind or taunt. Metal burst doesn't get negative priority, so you need to go against faster pokemon for it to do damage. One bulky water that counters it is swampert, as it resists thunder wave and returns back with earthquake. Its so slow that metal burst has no effect on it.

P.S. Am I seeing double?

In a triple battle Weavile is usually the Beat Up user as Whimsicott uses Tailwind unless in Doubles Whimsicott is better but yeah Swampert is a great counter as so as Gligar

insomnimaniac11

I Destroy You!
swampert will counter this set no doubt about it. you could try to stay in and close combat if you want but really you should just switch. jumpluff is a great partner just watch for ice punch. wash rotom would resist a swampert and could toxic stall. or grass rotom could switch into an earthquake and leaf storm freeze rotom is rarely seen but could switch into gligars earthquake and blizzard

ninjanerd

Well, I tried to think of something Cobalion can do that isn't just a SD+ 3 attacking moves... Here's a shot

Cobalion @ Leftovers

-Toxic/Thunder Wave/ Subsitute
-Calm Mind
-Focus Miss
-Flash Cannon/HP Ghost/ HP Ice
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Spe, 252 Sp. Atk, 4 HP
Nature: Timid

Timid nature is necessary to outrun neutral Hydreigon, Salamence, and speed tie with a positive natured Infernape. This is basically a standard defensive special set. Switch in on something, Subsitute on the switch/ cripple the switch-in or grab a boost on the switch.

Rayofquazar

Cobalion.... Mmmm... What to say about this pokemon. For me, nothing stands out in this pokemon. Except the fact that is a fast physical tank! Although this pokemon can be taken down easily enough by special attacks, notably fire types, It can tank hits all day long on the physical side. All this pokemon needed is a reliable recovery move to make it a stellar tank! Having decent offenses in both attacks is a handy tool to make it sort of unpredictable in what kind of attacks it is running. It's ability is somewhat useless but can prove to be useful if you manage to grab a boost!
This pokemon's type is only shared by lucario, but this pokemon is completely different from it! As I said last week, Steel/Fight is the best defensive type combined with the best offensive type.
It's movepool is fair enough and contain decent options but really lacks a recovery move outside of rest.

This pokemon performs best if light screen is in effect cz it's weak special defense is low enough to be targeted by special sweepers, so, light screen will be able to grant this pokemon the ability to stand it's ground in front of special sweepers with ease. But of course, this is not essential.

This is not a bad pokemon, in fact it's pretty good and it does have a really good typing and a really cool regal flair in it's design!

philzone

Ready for trumpets
Well, I tried to think of something Cobalion can do that isn't just a SD+ 3 attacking moves... Here's a shot

Cobalion @ Leftovers

-Toxic/Thunder Wave/ Subsitute
-Calm Mind
-Focus Miss
-Flash Cannon/HP Ghost/ HP Ice
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Spe, 252 Sp. Atk, 4 HP
Nature: Timid

Timid nature is necessary to outrun neutral Hydreigon, Salamence, and speed tie with a positive natured Infernape. This is basically a standard defensive special set. Switch in on something, Subsitute on the switch/ cripple the switch-in or grab a boost on the switch.

First, its focus blast, so could cripple hydreigon if it had a cm boost, but most special hydreigon have flamethrower/fire blast. steels with a fighting resistance do well, as they resist both its STABs and it can only counter with a hp fire or ground. Bronzong, metagross, forretress, jirachi, ect.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
First, its focus blast, so could cripple hydreigon if it had a cm boost, but most special hydreigon have flamethrower/fire blast. steels with a fighting resistance do well, as they resist both its STABs and it can only counter with a hp fire or ground. Bronzong, metagross, forretress, jirachi, ect.

Focus Miss is a nickname for Focus Blast due to its shaky accuracy but yeah that term really annoys me.

It's really ashame Cobalion is the leader but isn't OU like Terrakion and Virizion

Rayofquazar

Steels with a fighting resistance? Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but steel is weak to fighting, so, even by combining it with the bug type for example who's resistant to fight will end up neutral to it!

The only way steel would resist fight is combining it with the ghost type that will make it immune to fighting type attacks. Regardless, a steel/ghost type is yet to exist!

RealRaymon

Good series at last!
Experienced Musketeer
(Cobalion) @ Liechi Berry
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Sacred Sword
- Swords Dance
- Quick Attack
- Iron Head

Jolly nature to Outrun Infernape, Terrakion and others. Swords Dance for power, Quick attack to ruin Scisor and Mamoswine with low HP. Iron Head is another powerful STAB with a chance of flinching and for a good coverage

grantholomew

accually is dolan
Steels with a fighting resistance? Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but steel is weak to fighting, so, even by combining it with the bug type for example who's resistant to fight will end up neutral to it!

The only way steel would resist fight is combining it with the ghost type that will make it immune to fighting type attacks. Regardless, a steel/ghost type is yet to exist!

I believe philzone just meant one with a secondary typing that resists Fighting so together it would be neutral. Also Steel/Bug brings in Bug, which is weak to Cobalion's other STAB, making Rock neutral as well. So philzone meant something like Metagross or Bronzong.

Although, a Steel/Ghost would be an interesting prescence in the metagame. So close, Golurk!

Status
Not open for further replies.