• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #77

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetalCrow

Hippowdon can only take Close Combat so many times. Not only that, Terrakion would force its "counter" in, which is all it needs to use Swords Dance and be unstoppable. Not only that, switching into a Close Combat will likely take away over half of Hippowdon's health, guaranteed after Spikes/Stealth Rock. Otherwise, you're absolutely right. With a Curse set with Slack Off, that could be a pretty effective way to handle Terrakion.

Hippowdon has access to slack off for recovery, and only takes more than 50% damage from a choice band adamant close combat or at +2...the turn used to boost is a safe switch for hippowdon and jolly terrakion never does more than 45% (based on plenty of experience) ...entry hazards are something that can also be taken care of with appropriate team support...idk what you mean by forcing acounter in, but last time i checked, it doesn't get u-turn so whatever you mean, it could be abused by both sides...hippowdon could heal up while terrakion switches out, while it will ko terrakion if it chooses to stay in...it's all mind games my dear watson ;)

Takeo

You can use different words for this pun, meaning you can recycle a little.
And POTW is covering the Three Musketeers (Will Keldeo be included as well?), so some puns can be reused.

Nah that's stupid, you have to open your mind to the possibilities,
for example Terrakion, when I look at it I see a 'Bull' or 'Pitbull' as someone mentioned
so its time for Bull puns ^^

-Long horn red horn
-Take the bull by the horns
-Becoming the Bull
-Bull Fight Dance
Hell this whole Potw is full of Bull

GirlKirbyZombie

Pokemon Rancher
See, Smogon? This is why you shouldn't ban Excadrill.

Anyways, many will consider the beat up justice combo. When this happens, CLEAR SMOG or HAZE!!!

MetalCrow

Anyways, many will consider the beat up justice combo. When this happens, CLEAR SMOG or HAZE!!!

Smogon seems to be bad about putting down defensive playstyles and promoting hyper-offense...just look at their ban list, oddly placed pokemon in that list are solely there because they could potentially hinder the sweep of another "better" pokemon...and to think that they would dare say that they aren't overcentralizing the metagame :/......

Anywho, scizor is a great counter to terrakion if it can get in safe...on top of that azumarill (alibet weaker) is also a strong check as it is not usually ohko'd by jolly, if i remember correctly...neither get an ohko on the other, but aqua jet does pretty substantial damage...if you were to keep spikes on the field, it is feasible for a safe ko...of course phazing is a nifty option, as well as outright domination with some sort of overkill attack like an outlandishly powerful outrage or draco meteor from you know who

philzone

Ready for trumpets

Or phazing. And they banned excadrill???!!! Well it is an uber, and terrakion can do well in uber, so lets have some uber counters. Straight away you looking at groudon, excadrill and garchomp, as their STAB earthquake is unbelievably strong. Next, you look at speed boost blaziken, as it can set up and become devistating with STAB hi jump kick. But just be aware of the destructive force called terrakion

Edit: puns:
Matadors beware...
Bullseye
Another TERRA-BULL pun!
Red bull gives you wings (for an aerial ace set that is worth using)
JustifiaBULL (beat up abuse)

Last edited:

Star Champion AJ

Nah that's stupid, you have to open your mind to the possibilities,
for example Terrakion, when I look at it I see a 'Bull' or 'Pitbull' as someone mentioned
so its time for Bull puns ^^

-Long horn red horn
-Take the bull by the horns
-Becoming the Bull
-Bull Fight Dance
Hell this whole Potw is full of Bull

One can see bull-related puns based on Terra's look so you have a point in opening the mind to different possibilities.
However (you can call me stubborn after the post), the Musketeers lead to Justice, which leads to that "silly" Sailor Moon reference (if Lunatone becomes the POTW someday, I'd like to see that pun)

Talking about bulls
Random silly question:
Why Barry and Terrakion are best friends?

Last edited:

Kraleck

On even Speed footing, Unburden-lee can cause trouble with STAB Fighting and a "free" doubling of its Speed with Normal Gem + Fake Out. With Speed on Terrak's side, though, Priority with Fighting, Water, and Steel is a huge asset. Mach Punch, Vacuum Wave, Aqua Jet, and Bullet Punch can chip away at Terrakion, but few can survive if Terrak' does, especially after it buffs up. Ice Shard and Shadow Sneak can help, too, despite a lack of Type coverage on Terrakion.

Because of these Moves, it may be advantageous to a Terrakion-user to have Quick Guard as a Move option...

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
On even Speed footing, Unburden-lee can cause trouble with STAB Fighting and a "free" doubling of its Speed with Normal Gem + Fake Out. With Speed on Terrak's side, though, Priority with Fighting, Water, and Steel is a huge asset. Mach Punch, Vacuum Wave, Aqua Jet, and Bullet Punch can chip away at Terrakion, but few can survive if Terrak' does, especially after it buffs up. Ice Shard and Shadow Sneak can help, too, despite a lack of Type coverage on Terrakion.

Because of these Moves, it may be advantageous to a Terrakion-user to have Quick Guard as a Move option...

Indeed as this can cause trouble with some OU pokemon with strong priority move.

Last edited:

Zachmac

IMO, physically defensive Slowbro with T-wave is Terrakion's best, all purpose defensive check. Even if it comes in on a choice band X-Scissor, it can always swap out again and replenish health with regenerator.

But my main point is that it does a better job at it then Skarmory and Gliscor, but is more viable in OU then Claydol and Nidoking. Power whip Tangrowth works in a similar manner, but I believe it takes more damage from Close Combat then Slowbro takes from Stone Edge.

Physically defensive Dusclops also checks it pretty well. Only losing 34-41% of it's health to choice band stone edge, it can cripple Terrakion with will-o-wisp.

SwiftGrovyle

Official POTW Fact Checker
They are all goats. Think about it, I know they are supposed to be musketeers, but they do look that way.
Terrakion is a mountain goat. A rather bulky one too. Bahahahaha! (XD)

Other options
Work up and running mixed with maybe Hp fire, to make things interesting.
Ariel ace if it ever meets Heracross, and also, if smogon gets funny and bans this guy to the ubers sometime, then it can take care of Shedninja...(I know about Rock stab, just joking)
Reflect and Calm mind can both be run, though perfered together if you are running special scare.
Focus blast is for the special set. Name the hidden power you want (31 all Ivs for dark!)
Quick attack... Even the dumb kids know better. Seriously, it was only good for Scizor in 3rd gen.

This guy should get Megahorn. After all, Donphan can bounce.

Ilan

They are all goats. Think about it, I know they are supposed to be musketeers, but they do look that way.
Terrakion is a mountain goat. A rather bulky one too. Bahahahaha! (XD)

Other options
Work up and running mixed with maybe Hp fire, to make things interesting.
Ariel ace if it ever meets Heracross, and also, if smogon gets funny and bans this guy to the ubers sometime, then it can take care of Shedninja...(I know about Rock stab, just joking)
Reflect and Calm mind can both be run, though perfered together if you are running special scare.
Focus blast is for the special set. Name the hidden power you want (31 all Ivs for dark!)
Quick attack... Even the dumb kids know better. Seriously, it was only good for Scizor in 3rd gen.

This guy should get Megahorn. After all, Donphan can bounce.

Special terrakion LOL

Aurath8

hoo boy,Terakion. He has the stats, STABs and movepool to become the ultimate physical sweeper. Arceus has really blessed this pokemon with everything it needs to succeed and remains one of the biggest threats in OU for his ability to 2KO everything in the tier between just 2 moves. Countering this is going to be fun...

Counters
I think Terakion wins the trophy for "most difficult pokemon to switch into". Gliscor and Slowbro are both good bets being able to eat Close Combat and avoid a 2KO from CB Stone Edge and mitigate hazards through Regenerator/Poison Heal. If they take repeated hits, have already taken damage or if Terakion has boosted with SD, they won't be able to take it on. Hippowdon also gets a mention as he can Slack Off Close Combats and prey on Terakions lowered Def with Earthquake or Roar it out if it tries to setup on it.
And that's where Terakion's OU 'counters' end. It has quite a few checks but they are all 2KO or OHKOed by the appropiate STAB move. Priority is great as Terakion is weak to all common priority moves bar ExtremeSpeed. Scizor, Azumarill, Conkledurr, you know who they are. Various other pokemon can revenge it using their naturally high speed. Dugtrio and Gengar get special mentions for trapping the musketeer and Disabling Stone Edge respectively. And, of course, your Scarfers: Landorus, Rotom-W, Latios etc. also revenge kill Terakion.

Annoyingly, Terakion actually has a lot of counters in lower tiers. Golurk, Claydol, Nidoking and a few others are much better at standing up to Terakion than anything OU. Outside of countering him, these pokemon, tend not to carry their weight for the team.

Terakion is a very threatening Pokemon. He has a near-perfect combination of stats, typing and movepool that brings the tiers defensive pokemon to their knees begging for mercy. Even his most of his counters are found in lower tiers and barely used where he wreaks havoc. Every team should have this pokemon in mind whether its trying to beat it or using it themselves. Either way, unless GameFreak introduce a Steel/Ghost type with the stats of Ferrothorn, Terakion is a threat that is hear to stay.

ClefairyRox

Nintendo Fan
I really find it amusing that this dangerous guy can be countered by lower tier Pokemon. Granted, I know they're just usage rates, but even so, it's still pretty awesome.

Aquaholic

Can I just say that Terrakion owns the Double Subway with Rock Slide and Choice Scarf Beat Up Sneasel. EV Terra in in ATK/SPE, give it a Sitrus Berry for good measure and EV Sneasel SPE and anything but ATK to lessen damage to Terra and then you're away!

Rayofquazar

TERRakion the TERRific pokemon... Seriously, when you look at terrakion and the other musketeers, one can only say "How unfair". 129 attack combined with 108 speed is crazy. It's rock/fight typing also gives it two strong stab options with stupidly great coverage! Defensively 91/90/90 defenses are nothing to laugh about and being a rock type, will boost it's special defense even higher in a sandstorm making it completely unpenetrable in the special defense area even stronger than Virizion!
It's movepool contains the key moves to make it a fantastic sweeper but lacks the support options that cobalion and virizion have. But who needs support if it can demolish entire teams with a single blow!
Terrakion is an assembled puzzle game, joined perfectly to make one of the deadliest physical sweepers around with marvelous stats, a rock/fighting typing that grants it an immunity to sandstorm while buffing it's special defense and two great stab moves. Everything just falls in place for this pokemon. It's only flaw is maybe the handful of weaknesses it's typing bring to it and due to them it is weak to some priority moves notably mach punch and aqua jet that hits it on the weaker defense stat (if in a sandstorm of course!).

Last edited:

SwiftGrovyle

Official POTW Fact Checker

Actually, a good counter in doubles would a set based off of special Kingdra. With Kindra firing Dracos, and water, and the partner hazing, it is an equally powerful weapon. Especially now, with scald.

Who really needs a metal whack-a-mole-that's-angry-and-willing-to-bring-about-a-swift-death!? We has scald. Major Terrakion fear. That's why I run Careful instead of jolly or adamant. And the best part is it works better in sandstorm.

Wierd. Mountain goat wannabe 'musketeer' in a sandstorm = Terrakion.

jr0904

Beginning Trainer
639.gif

ATTACK
Terrakion @ Kings Rock/Life Orb/Choice items
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 HP /252 Atk/252 Spd
Jolly (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Sacred Sword
- Stone Edge/Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- X-scissor/Poison Jab/Return

pure attacker, i dont like wasting time to boost, thats y i have a baton passer

True enough.However their gonna see that a mile away and have either a Haze counter or pseudo Haze counter. Which is why Rock Polish is an option,Unless your using Choice Scarf cause he does have decent speed.

Also,love your mini sig. definitely made me laugh. Satoshi definitely making a list of harem that'll make takeshi jealous. though surprised Bianca isn't on the list since she always crashes next to him. hahahaha.

Kraleck

I really find it amusing that this dangerous guy can be countered by lower tier Pokemon. Granted, I know they're just usage rates, but even so, it's still pretty awesome.

...and that is why I preach "Tiers are crap" whenever necessary...

Rayofquazar

Getting this pokemon burned or paralysed is a good way to make it more manageable... So prankster sableye comes to my mind with priority will-o-wisp. A terrakion with half it's attack is barely this huge threat that it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.