• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #78

Status
Not open for further replies.

philzone

Ready for trumpets
Sunny-side up
Synthysis
Solar beam
Focus blast
Reflect/light screen
Item: light clay
Impish/calm
Evs 252 hp 252 def(if light screen) or 252 sp def (if reflect), 4 speed.
Maybe you could also do 252 speed and 4 hp.
Sun is great here. Ninetales dw does well. Synthisis is your recovery move. Solar beam is crazy in sun, as it has no charge up turn. Focus blast for coverage. Reflect to stop physical sweepers, light screen to wall most special users.

Deer me, stalled again.
Toxic
Protect/bounce/substitute
Protect/bounce/substitute
Focus blast
Item leftovers
Nature: impish,calm
Evs 252 hp/speed 128 def, 128 spdef

Toxic staller virizon. Ok toxic for start, focus blast to prevent steels walling you. Protect stalls, so does substitute. Bounce stalls and gives damage. This is only where you should use it. Speed/hp evs are for either bulk or trying to outspeed with some bulk.

GirlKirbyZombie

Pokemon Rancher
This pokemon has some potential. It's high special defense can help it survive ice and fire moves.

"I want clear skies! >: ("
Nature: Adamant/Jolly
EVs: 252 Spd, 252 Att, and 4 Sp.Def
Item: Sitrus Berry or Muscle Band
Moves:
Stone Edge
Leaf Blade
Sacred Sword
Quick Attack/Swords Dance

The near-perfect counter to weather Teams. Leaf Blade whacks water types, stone edge whacks fire types, and sacred sword takes care of hailers and sandstormers. Be sure to put up a reflect.
Be on a lookout for Toxicroak, Arbok, and Gengar by having a psychic type by your side like Alakazam.

Kraleck

We do know Toxicroak needs to watch out for Zen Headbutt, anyway Tornadus really bring Virizion down with STAB Huricanne or Flying gem boosted Acrobatics.
Another pun: Very-easy-on battle

Agreed, but that's only if we can get a true confirmation on Viriz' actually learning Zen Headbutt via Tutor. If so, it'll be a toss-up for two Moveslots between these most likely three - X-Scissor, Zen Headbutt, and Stone Edge - if you choose to go for Moves of both STAB Types. However, unless you're worried about Stone Edge's Accuracy, it'll most likely be one slot between X-Scissor and Zen Headbutt. If ZH is not available, you still have partners more-than-capable of countering your opponent's Virizion-counter.

I'm hoping it does get ZH, though, because I love having a chance of a random Flinch on top of the Move's Type coverage and Viriz's sweet Speed. No amount of skill and preparation can stop a lucky blow, but those shouldn't be relied on (unless you're a chaotician or gambler). The raw power isn't too shabby either.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Agreed, but that's only if we can get a true confirmation on Viriz' actually learning Zen Headbutt via Tutor. If so, it'll be a toss-up for two Moveslots between these most likely three - X-Scissor, Zen Headbutt, and Stone Edge - if you choose to go for Moves of both STAB Types. However, unless you're worried about Stone Edge's Accuracy, it'll most likely be one slot between X-Scissor and Zen Headbutt. If ZH is not available, you still have partners more-than-capable of countering your opponent's Virizion-counter.

I'm hoping it does get ZH, though, because I love having a chance of a random Flinch on top of the Move's Type coverage and Viriz's sweet Speed. No amount of skill and preparation can stop a lucky blow, but those shouldn't be relied on (unless you're a chaotician or gambler). The raw power isn't too shabby either.

http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=h2We3uTy

This shows confirmation of its new moves

Back on topic, Virizion faces stiff competion from Breloom as the Swords dance power is outclassed by Breloom, but on the special side is where Virizion shine, sponging special attacks from Calm Mind boosts and recovers with Giga Drain.

Kraleck

http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=h2We3uTy

This shows confirmation of its new moves

Back on topic, Virizion faces stiff competion from Breloom as the Swords dance power is outclassed by Breloom, but on the special side is where Virizion shine, sponging special attacks from Calm Mind boosts and recovers with Giga Drain.

Alrighty, then...consider me excited...

Breloom outclasses Viriz' on Attack anyway and has priority with Mach Punch, but not Sp.Atk. That and healing HP while Poisoned sets it apart from Virizion. Much like how different Scizor and Escavalier, Cobalion and Lucario, Steelix and Excadrill, or Mandibuzz and Honchkrow are - same Types, but different ways to handle and use.

Virizion is a lot like Cobalion offensively with its ability to go Physical, Special, or Mixed, but is definitely different on the defensive end of things with less durability from one quad-Weakness (instead of more durability with two quad-Resistances like Cobal' has). Another example of similar mold, different strategies, like the Eevee-lutions.

Viriz' has lots of ways to cover its own weaknesses from STAB users, but must sacrifice one STAB Move's slot to cover almost all of them (unless they outright-counter you). Not a bad thing, though, but it can be hard to determine who you'll likely face when reviewing your options - almost all of which are pretty awesome...

tomjames1966

Sorry if anyone has posted this.

Restalk
@Leftovers/Focus Sash
Ability: Justified
Evs: 252HP/126Sp.def/126Def/4Spd
Rest
Sleeptalk
Calm Mind
Focus Blast/Giga Drain/Energy Ball
Pretty self explanatory really. You Calm Mind until low Hp then Rest, Sleeptalk.

Mixed
@Life Orb
Ability: Justified
Evs: 252 Spd/126 Atk/126/Sp.Atk/4HP
Work Up
Focus Blast/Close Combat
Leaf Blade/Giga Drain/Energy Ball
Swords Dance/Focus Blast/Close Combat/Leaf Blade/Giga Drain/Energy Ball/Calm Mind/Filler move
Mixed set as Virizon has O.K stats. This set is to stop walls which deal in a specific stat. You could also attempt to play mind games with opponent by using a boosting move of 1 stat then, when they have switched their wall in use a move of the opposite stat.

philzone

Ready for trumpets
@thomasjames1966 the only trouble with the rest talk set is that the one you said has a 1 in 4 chance of actually attacking.suggest you go focus blast and energy ball. Also, wold suggest bold or timid nature for the set.

More puns.
Brutal bambi
No I deer (rest talk set)

Ilan

@thomasjames1966 the only trouble with the rest talk set is that the one you said has a 1 in 4 chance of actually attacking.suggest you go focus blast and energy ball. Also, wold suggest bold or timid nature for the set.

More puns.
Brutal bambi
No I deer (rest talk set)

Giga drain is ALWAYS better than energy ball 5 points difference but recovery? yes please..

anyway most rest talk sets use 1 attacking but I don't think a grass move should be the attacking move due to bad coverage.

Kraleck

Giga drain is ALWAYS better than energy ball 5 points difference but recovery? yes please..

anyway most rest talk sets use 1 attacking but I don't think a grass move should be the attacking move due to bad coverage.

Bad coverage? I would say so only if it actually had to stay in on a Flying, Fire, Bug, Poison, and/or Steel Type, but (for the most part) Grass has near-identical coverage to Water and Viriz' has other Moves to handle those Types.

philzone

Ready for trumpets

Bad coverage? I would say so only if it actually had to stay in on a Flying, Fire, Bug, Poison, and/or Steel Type, but (for the most part) Grass has near-identical coverage to Water and Viriz' has other Moves to handle those Types.

lets see. grass is walled by sap sipper, fighting is stopped by ghosts, so you are then looking at stone edge or zen headbut on the rest talk sets. or just have others to counter those weaknesses- terrakion. what about a rest talk+justified abuse-room for 2 attacking moves, as the boosts are already done. So i would suggest stone edge and close combat/sacred sword. Oh, and the only reason I mentioned energy ball is that you have already got a recovery move.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
lets see. grass is walled by sap sipper, fighting is stopped by ghosts, so you are then looking at stone edge or zen headbut on the rest talk sets. or just have others to counter those weaknesses- terrakion. what about a rest talk+justified abuse-room for 2 attacking moves, as the boosts are already done. So i would suggest stone edge and close combat/sacred sword. Oh, and the only reason I mentioned energy ball is that you have already got a recovery move.

LOL, there isn't a pokemon who is ghost with Sap Sipper yet. Also when you mentioned room, did you mean trick room?

BH is probably going to do another "My dear Watson" pun but kind of like "(insert word)My Deer Watson".

philzone

Ready for trumpets
LOL, there isn't a pokemon who is ghost with Sap Sipper yet. Also when you mentioned room, did you mean trick room?

BH is probably going to do another "My dear Watson" pun but kind of like "(insert word)My Deer Watson".

no- I meant that you wouldn't need a boosting move as you have the justified abuse, so you would have room for an extra attacking move. also, wasn't suggesting that there is a ghost type with sap sipper, though it may come in gen VI. for your pun, a great (insert word) would be: Elementree (as virizion is part grass type)

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
no- I meant that you wouldn't need a boosting move as you have the justified abuse, so you would have room for an extra attacking move. also, wasn't suggesting that there is a ghost type with sap sipper, though it may come in gen VI. for your pun, a great (insert word) would be: Elementree (as virizion is part grass type)

Oh OK, but switching in a Dark move is good if you have physical moves but otherwise its useless.

Virizion plan starting at TREEhundred dollars XD

Rayofquazar

Virizion is my favorite between it's trio (Or Quatro).... Just by it looks and it's grass typing. But these assets aren't what makes virizion good. What does make it good is a 129 Sp DEF stat that blocks every special attack aimed at it with ease even if they were super effective. Virizion is made to support, but having equal offenses and a very good speed, allows this pokemon to be the most versatile pokemon of it's trio. It can go physical, special, mixed, wall, tank, and even a support. This particularity is further enhanced by a marvelous moovepool, a good offensive type, decent coverage otions, access to dual screens (that coba and terra don't have access to), access to recovery options and access to some of the best boosting moves in swords dance and calm mind (and work up).

Speaking of it's type, Grass/Fighting is almost unique shared only by breloom who works differently. Offensively, Fighting offers a great offensive type hitting steels super effectively (Steel walls every grass type in existance barring virizion, Breloom and torterra, excluding a random hidden power fire or ground) and nice resistance to rock types, while grass gives it useful resistances to key types like electric, water, and ground and a nice coverage on water and ground types that fight fails to hit effectively. On the downside, like all grass types, it has a load of weaknesses notably a 4x weakness to flying types which also hit it on it's weaker defense stat! It's huge Special defense stat means that it can take some weak fire types (not boosted by the sun), ice type and psychic type attacks.

Like the others deers, Virizion also has justified as an ability and can take full advantage of it like the other deers due to a resistance to dark type attacks!

Virizion is just perfect! Perfect moovepool, nice stats, nice coverage, great look and perfect overall bulk. My favorite way to take advantage of virizion is to use it under reflect, set this up (with virizion if you want) and watch virizion sponge everything special as well as physical hits with it's decent HP while throwing strong attacks from both attacking sides.
You can use these moves: Close combat Or Sacred swords, Giga drain and a filler with stone edge or X-scissor.
Leaf blade is good if you want all physical but giga drain is good for some needed recovery!
If you have a double screener in your team you can put in the first moveslot a boosting move or a support option notably Roar to shuffle the opponents team and racking hazard damage and taunt to shut down other support pokemon!

This great looking pokemon does not sacrifice looks for brains... It have them both!

Last edited:

sbktdreed

Veteran Trainer
Physical-only
Impish w/ 252 Defense, 124 HP, 128 Attack, 6 Sp Defense OR
Adamant w/ 168 Speed, 168 HP, 168 Attack, 6 Sp Defense
Coba Berry/Muscle Band/Life Orb/Scope Lens
Scared Sword
Leaf Blade
Stone Edge
Aerial Ace/X-scissor/Swords Dance/Work Up

Other move ideas
Giga Drain & Big Root
Zen Headbutt (B2/W2 Tutor Move) [against Poison-types]
Focus Blast/Energy Ball

Parners
Reflect-users
Sunny Day-users if Synthesis (B2/W2 Tutor Move) is added
Beat Up-users

Countering
Physical Flying-type moves, like Acrobatics are the key; espically in Triple Battles. The best examples include Aerodactyl, Crobat, Swellow, and Salamence.
Cross Poison/Poison Fang Drapion
Poison Jab Skuntank
Aerial Ace/Acrobatics Infernape
Acrobatics Gliscor

Last edited:

philzone

Ready for trumpets
Physical-only
Lax w/ 252 Defense, 124 HP, 128 Attack, 6 Sp Defense OR
Gentle w/ 168 Speed, 168 HP, 168 Attack, 6 Sp Defense
Coba Berry/Muscle Band/Life Orb/Scope Lens
Scared Sword/Close Combat
Leaf Blade
Stone Edge
Aerial Ace

Other move ideas
Giga Drain & Big Root
Swords Dance/Work Up
X-scissor/Zen Headbutt (B2/W2 Tutor Move) [against Poison-types]
Focus Blast/Energy Ball

Parners
Reflect-users
Sunny Day-users if Synthesis (B2/W2 Tutor Move) is added
Beat Up-users

Countering
Physical Flying-type moves, like Aerial Ace, Brave Bird, Drill Peck, and Acrobatics are the key; espically in Triple Battles. The best examples include Aerodactyl, Crobat, Swellow, Ninjask, Salamence, and Staraptor.

First, you don't want to lower defences as you can use them for bulk. Second, suggest using adamant, carefull, impish, or jolly nature on a physical set. Third, aerial ace is for breloom, virizion and herracross, so you may want x scissor to counter psychic types. Out of all the counters you have suggested, only a few work : if both pokemon have max speed evs and speed nature, staraptor is destroyed by stone edge, salamance can survive a intimidated stone edge, but needs to be careful of hp ice. The others work, but ninjask may need a stronger move to use. Try archeops, as a acrobatics from that will halt a virizon.

sbktdreed

Veteran Trainer
First, you don't want to lower defences as you can use them for bulk. Second, suggest using adamant, carefull, impish, or jolly nature on a physical set. Third, aerial ace is for breloom, virizion and herracross, so you may want x scissor to counter psychic types. Out of all the counters you have suggested, only a few work : if both pokemon have max speed evs and speed nature, staraptor is destroyed by stone edge, salamance can survive a intimidated stone edge, but needs to be careful of hp ice. The others work, but ninjask may need a stronger move to use. Try archeops, as a acrobatics from that will halt a virizon.

Aerial Ace is a no-miss move. The biggest reason I list those pokemon because its speed is high enough to make the first move without Trick Room. I didn't Archeops because its ability is the problem. It's also a real problem to get a Flying-type move on a pokemon that doesn't get taken down by Stone Edge; as well as Scared Sword and Leaf Blade. Either way, tt's going to be tough in a Triple Battle. I also made some additions.

Last edited:

philzone

Ready for trumpets
Aerial Ace is a no-miss move. The biggest reason I list those pokemon because its speed is high enough to make the first move without Trick Room. I didn't Archeops because its ability is the problem. It's also a real problem to get a Flying-type move on a pokemon that doesn't get taken down by Stone Edge; as well as Scared Sword and Leaf Blade. Either way, tt's going to be tough in a Triple Battle. I also made some additions.

I see the additions. one way I have found to be good at countering virizion is meinshao+acrobatics and flying gem. infernape has fire moves and acrobatics and dragonite can destroy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.