• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #79

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keldeo shares its Water/Fighting type with only one other Pokemon, Poliwrath, but has much more over the muscular tadpole. It has a much higher offensive stat in its special attack stat, and can effectively run a mixed set without giving up power by using its signature move, Secret Sword, which comes off its above average base 129 Special Attack, but deals physical damage.

Ability
Justified: This is probably the biggest thing about Keldeo that I see is redundant. Keldeo only has a base 72 attack stat -- too low for it to abuse Justified, so it's next to useless.

Calm Mind
Item: Life Orb
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power Electric / Ice
- Calm Mind

Basic Offensive set that aims to sweep through unprepared teams. Hydro Pump is Keldeo's most Powerful move, being able to OHKO bulky Scizor after a Calm Mind and OHKO specially defensive Jirachi after 2 CMs. Secret Sword is what makes Keldeo even harder to switch into. It acts like a Fighting-typed Psyshock or Psystrike. For example, it guarantees a OHKO on Blissey and Chansey after a Calm Mind. Keldeo is one of the few Water-types that does not learn Ice Beam. Keldeo can get past this by using Hidden Power Ice. However, Hidden Power Electric is generally recommended, as it hits both flying types that Hidden Power Ice would hit, and opposing water types that wall Keldeo otherwise like Slowbro, Slowking, and Tentacruel.

Other Options
A Swords Dance set with Aqua Tail, Close Combat, and X-Scissor with Aqua Jet and Sacred Sword as other options is gimmicky at best, as Keldeo has only a base 72 Attack stat.
Work Up can allow Keldeo to hit with both Special and Physical attacks, but the loss in power due to splitting EVs is considerable.

Counters
Roserade is probably your best bet. It resists everything Keldeo commonly carries bar Hidden Power Ice. Venusaur is another option, but Keldeo is usually paired with rain, so Venusaur can't function as well as it needs sun to outspeed Keldeo. Slowking, although rare, can potentially wall Keldeo even better than Roserade, as the standard 252 HP / 56 SpD Slowking can survive even a +2 Hidden Power Ghost or Electric and KO the water horse with Psychic or Psyshock.

Last edited:

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Other Options
A Swords Dance set with Waterfall, Close Combat, and X-Scissor with Aqua Jet and Sacred Sword as other options is gimmicky at best, as Keldeo has only a base 72 Attack stat.
Work Up can allow Keldeo to hit with both Special and Physical attacks, but the loss in power due to splitting EVs is considerable.

Keldeo can't learn Waterfall, only Aqua Tail and Aqua Jet are its physical water moves.

Meowmeow

selfproclaimed guru
Sorry but Escavelier doesn't have the moves he needs, no Superpower makes it outclassed even more by Scizor and Durant. all it has is a crazy Choice Band Set that hits really hard. Although it has Reversal most don't usually run that move. Plus, don't double post either.

Swords Dance, Megahorn, Iron Head, and Pursuit is all Escavelier needs and is pretty much exactly what Escavelier needs and all Escavelier will need. Also, sorry about the double post.

grantholomew

accually is dolan
While Hydro Pump will decimate anything that doesnt resist or absorb it, Scald should always be considered as the Water STAB. Despite the difference in power, Scald will still be useful because as soon as you use Calm Mind, your opponent will switch in a physical attacker to hit you nonboosting defense. Stick to Hydro Pump for Choice sets though.

grantholomew

accually is dolan
Max defense Ferrothorn survives a Secret Sword from even Modest Keldeo due to its high Defense. Ferrothorn returns with 75-89% damage with Power Whip, with no attack EV's or IV's.

grantholomew

accually is dolan
Max defense Ferrothorn survives a Secret Sword from even Modest Keldeo due to its high Defense. Ferrothorn returns with 75-89% damage with Power Whip, with no attack EV's or IV's.

Takeo

I will do everything in my power to not make a my little pony joke.
Thank you, not even the amount of vomit I'm certainly going to cough up with explain how much hatred I have for them.
Though chances are you'll end up putting in one (D).

Last edited:

Ilan

One counter I can think of is Rain Dragonite, it has the bulk to survive an unboosted Scald and other moves and can wreck with Hurricane.

SCALD?!?! why would keldeo would use scald?

it is only between surf and hydro pump while hydro pump is mainly the superior.

I need that most of the sets are repetitive except the 2 I post most sets are actually the same...
the scarf is the same as specs with the moves and EV..

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
SCALD?!?! why would keldeo would use scald?

it is only between surf and hydro pump while hydro pump is mainly the superior.

I need that most of the sets are repetitive except the 2 I post most sets are actually the same...
the scarf is the same as specs with the moves and EV..

Some use Scald as to help its unboosted Defense as Calm Mind also helps its special defense higher though yse the power drop is noticeable.

grantholomew

accually is dolan
Some use Scald as to help its unboosted Defense as Calm Mind also helps its special defense higher though yse the power drop is noticeable.

That's pretty much what I said...people ignore me...
Scald is definitely an option for Calm Mind sets as it can "boost" Defense and will still wreck stuff after a boost or two anyway. Hydro Pump all the way on Choice sets.

philzone

Ready for trumpets
Water absorb jellicent walls this pokemon easily, but has to watch for hp ghost. Strong priority moves can seriously harm it, like extreme speed lucario, or technician boosted mach punch from hitmontop or breloom.

grantholomew

accually is dolan
I am not much of a good user of a damage calculator but how much damage does Keldeo with a Modest Nature with 252 sp EVs with Choice Specs Hidden Power Ghost do to 252 Hp 252 S(def) Jellicent?

It does 45-53% Modest and 41-48% Timid. Jellicent is a good wall for Keldeo.

Last edited:

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
It does 45-53% Modest and 41-48% Timid. Jellicent is a good wall for Keldeo.

So Keldeo still looks like it has a chance to 2KO if rocks are up though I don't see that Jellicent can do much to Keldeo back. Maybe Choice Specs Shadow Ball or Energy Ball?

Last edited:

SwiftGrovyle

Official POTW Fact Checker
Why burn something by 30% chance while you can KO something by 80 chance?

I think you are missing the humorous part of it. It's a WATER move that can set things on FIRE! It's the new body slam, man. And that move, (body slam) we almost always mention. Snorlax, Politoed, Quasquire(sp, I know), and more. Check all of the fourth gen potws, about one-third have that move somewhere as an option. Never know if you'll see it.

As to Grantholomew, they don't always pay attention to me either. Just keep it coming and they're bound to listen once. I thought the same way 'til Gallade's potw. At least someone will listen at one point.

grantholomew

accually is dolan
So in the end, it's down to Scald or Hydro Pump for your STAB. Surf isn't as powerful as Hydro Pump but doesn't do anything else. Hydro Pump for pure power, Scald for longevity.

Status
Not open for further replies.