• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #80

Status
Not open for further replies.

overlordmewtwo

Supreme Overlord
Ah, Kyurem. The final member of the Tao trio. This form is BL due to a few major things that really hold it back: an Ice/Dragon typing, a weakness to all arena traps (which means that Rapid Spin support is almost essential), and a weakness to priority moves. Sure, its bulk is decent, but with all the weaknesses, that bulk quickly becomes worthless. That doesn't stop Kyurem from being dangerous, however; this thing is an absolute monster in hail with STAB Blizzards coming off of base 130 Sp.Attk. Here's something to put this into perspective: its Blizzard rips straight through a Dragonite's Multiscale, landing an OHKO before Dragonite can set up.

Without further ado, let's look at a few sets Kyurem can run:

Scarf/Specs user
Timid/Modest nature
Item: Choice Scarf/Specs
EV Spread: 252 Sp.Attk, 252 Speed, 4 HP
Ability: Pressure (a pity it doesn't get anything else without the other forms)
Moves: Blizzard/Ice Beam
Focus Blast/HP Fire
Draco Meteor
Dragon Pulse

This set is one of the sets that makes Kyurem truly dangerous. Give it Specs if you'd like to kill everything, give it Scarf if you'd like it to be a revenge killer (although it is sadly outrun by a few other Scarf users in OU such as Haxorus, Hydreigon, and Salamence). Use Blizzard only if you have hail support. Otherwise, use Ice Beam, as it does still kill things. Focus Blast and HP Fire are for Steel types. Whichever one you use depends on your preference. Draco Meteor is for breaking down opponents, and Dragon Pulse is for late-game sweeping.

The All-out Attacker
Hasty nature
Item: Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EV Spread: 36 Attk, 252 Sp.Attk, 220 Speed
Moves: Outrage
Draco Meteor
Ice Beam
HP Fire/ Focus Blast

The all-out attacker with the ability to switch between attacks. Outrage and Draco Meteor are wall-breaking moves. Outrage for Blissey, Draco Meteor for everything else. Ice Beam is for use against other dragons, and HP Fire/Focus Blast is for Steels.

The Substitute user (my personal favorite)
Modest nature
Item: Leftovers
EV Spread: 252 Sp.Attk, 52 HP, 204 Speed
Moves: Blizzard/Ice Beam
Focus Blast
Substitute
Dragon Pulse

This set is the one I use for my hail team (and it has served me well). The EV spread is designed to give Kyurem 404 HP, which allows it to make 101 HP Substitutes, which allows it to survive two Night Shades/Seismic Tosses. You can also use Timid nature, but I prefer Modest for wall-breaking power. The goal here is to save this variant for late-game sweeping, when all Kyurem's counters are gone, so that you can safely set up a Substitute that won't be broken by what they have left. Leftovers is essential for this set, as it gives Kyurem a semi-reliable form of recovery. Blizzard is if you have hail, otherwise, use Ice Beam. Focus Blast is for Steels (although you can also use HP Fire, it's not preferred, as Kyurem will need a bit of speed). Dragon Pulse is for a neutral attack.

A Gimmicky Set
Hasty/Naive nature
Item: Red Card
EV Spread: 100 Attk, 156 Sp.Attk, 252 Speed
Moves: Hone Claws
Outrage
Blizzard
Dragon Pulse

A set that I've grown to not use as much due to the time it takes to set up and the amount of counters that can ruin this set. Basically the goal is to set up a Hone Claws to improve Kyurem's accuracy and attack with super-strong attacks (Blizzard, Focus Blast) without worrying about pitiful accuracy. Outrage is there for Blissey, as it does somewhat wall Kyurem otherwise.

Other options: very few. Its movepool is barren without the enhancements of Reshiram or Zekrom. You could try an all-physical set, but it doesn't work very well.

Kyurem's counters: Plenty. If you can outrun Kyurem and pack a super-effective attack, that thing will fall before you quickly. The Pokemon that commonly do this are Scarf users. To name a few that can deal with Kyurem: Terrakion (with and without a Scarf, it still sends Kyurem packing), Salamence, Haxorus, Hydreigon, and Landorus. Other counters include priority users (specifically Scizor, as and SD boosted Bullet Punch will KO) and putting up arena traps. If even Stealth Rock is up, Kyurem has a difficult time switching in and out of combat.

Overall, this is the worst form of Kyurem, but it is an absolute monster in hail that will dispose of your team should you give it that chance.

Last edited:

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Don't eat the yellow snow
Toxic
Roost
Fly
Dragon tail/protect
Item leftovers
Impish/calm
252 hp, 128 def 128 spdef

Toxic is key. Roost regenerates health, fly stalls. Protect stalls while dragon tail makes it good at phazing out steels.

Too gimmicky as Kyurem is better off attacking straight on instead.

Pun time:

K-y u rem-ain at BL?

Last edited:

Aegon

SubRoost is one of Kyurem's best bets, thanks to the BW2 move tutors.

Cooler than the rest.
Outrage
Stone edge
Iron head
Zen headbutt
Item life orb
Jolly/adamant
252 att 252 spd 4hp
Strong set for physical
Why... would you use Iron Head and Zen Headbutt?

Now time for a toxic staller
Don't eat the yellow snow
Toxic
Roost
Fly
Dragon tail/protect
Item leftovers
Impish/calm
252 hp, 128 def 128 spdef
Fly? No.

GirlKirbyZombie

Pokemon Rancher
Since I was young, I always wanted an Ice/Dragon type. Now that we all got one, it didn't turn out too good... Oh well.

"Ice sculpting"
Nature: Relaxed nature
EVs: 189 Sp. Att, 63 Att, and 252 Def
Item: Wise Glasses, Persim Berry, or lum berry
Moves:
Hone Claws
Focus Blast
Blizzard
Outrage

Hone claws power up Outrage and boosts accuracy for Focus Blast and Blizzard. Be on a look out for steels like Scizor and look out for Palkia.

Random request: Can some one make a battle video where a Joltic defeats a Kyurem? I want to rub it in on this dragon noob I know irl.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Since I was young, I always wanted an Ice/Dragon type. Now that we all got one, it didn't turn out too good... Oh well.

"Ice sculpting"
Nature: Relaxed nature
EVs: 189 Sp. Att, 63 Att, and 252 Def
Item: Wise Glasses, Persim Berry, or lum berry
Moves:
Hone Claws
Focus Blast
Blizzard
Outrage

Hone claws power up Outrage and boosts accuracy for Focus Blast and Blizzard. Be on a look out for steels like Scizor and look out for Palkia.

Random request: Can some one make a battle video where a Joltic defeats a Kyurem? I want to rub it in on this dragon noob I know irl.

If your going mixed, use a Naive or Hasty nature and Life Orb for more damage.

10speed12

Nature:Modest
EV's: 252 speed, 252 Sp Attack, 4 Hp
Moves:
Ice Beam/Glaciate
Dragon Pulse
Psychic
Earth Power/Shadow ball
Item:Life Orb/Choice Specs

2406Blackbird

CasualMediocre Gamer
Kyurem
Nature: Timid or modest
EVs: 4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spd
Item: Choice Specs/Scarf or Expert Belt
Moveset:
-Ice Beam/Blizzard
-Focus Blast
-Dragon Pulse/Draco Meteor
-(Filler Move)

Ice move for STAB. Blizzard is only used in hail, or for added power with lower accuracy. Focus Blast to take out steels and rock types. Dragon Pulse for coverage and STAB, or Draco Meteor for added power, but lowers special attack which may force you to switch. The final move is optional, and i have no idea what goes here. Items are optional depending on what works for you.

AquaRegisteel

Face Oblivion
646.png
@ Life Orb
Modest Nature [+SpA, - Atk]
EVs: 52 HP / 240 SpA / 216 Spe
[Pressure]
- Substitute
- Roost
- Dragon Pulse
- Earth Power

With the long-sought-after tutors blessing Kyurem with recovery and a key coverage tool, this set aims to take advantage of Kyurem's best duo of BW2 tutor moves and the huge 130 base SpA stat it holds. It can also attempt to PP stall slower opponents, something which other common sets can't do. Substitute and 52 HP EVs guarantee the infamous 101 HP subs, which help against things like Sableye and other crap that Kyurem beats easily. The 216 Speed EVs allow you to beat Adamant Lucario and OHKO it with Earth Power. Roost forms the well-known SubRoost combination that can stall opponents to no end, and allows Stealth Rock, Life Orb and Substitute damage to be almost no hassle. Dragon Pulse is the best attack for this set, and allows it to hit with good neautral coverage. Earth Power is a great tool, allowing it to hit Heatran for an easy OHKO without the risk of Focus Blast.

However, bulky Grass-types like Celebi now threaten this set more than other sets, and this set can easily allow Scizor to setup. Still, the few drawbacks I have stated may not exist when team support is involved. Air Balloon Heatran can switch in on both of them (but Superpower OHKOs from CB Scizor, so be wary) and KO with Fire Blast, and has decent synergy. Be wary of Conkeldurr, though.

Speaking of which, Liquid Ooze Tentacruel can take on Conkeldurr, as Drain Punch hurts Conkeldurr a little, whilst Scald can eventually wear it down.

Now that's SubRoost.

AquaRegisteel

Face Oblivion
^Actually, Scizor can take 90-95% off of Kyurem with Bullet Punch alone.

philzone

Ready for trumpets
SubRoost is one of Kyurem's best bets, thanks to the BW2 move tutors.

Why... would you use Iron Head and Zen Headbutt?

Fly? No.
Fly stalls for a turn while still dealing damage. Though you could still switch out. Still have protect. And dragon tail. Maybe add sub in there?
Partners.
Abomnasnow for hail
Starmie or other rapid spinners

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Fly stalls for a turn while still dealing damage. Though you could still switch out. Still have protect. And dragon tail. Maybe add sub in there?
Partners.
Abomnasnow for hail
Starmie or other rapid spinners

No one uses Fly competitively hardly, plus Hurricane from Tornadus can hurt you in the rain.

FirstRate

To me, Kyurem has always been a great Pokemon stat-wise, but the reason why I never used it is because of it's terrible defensive typing. Dragon/Ice gives it 4 weaknesses to common types such as Dragon, Rock, and Fighting, as well as losing 25% of its HP when it switches into Stealth Rock. It also has a mediocre movepool giving it lackluster coverage. However, in B2W2 it gained two fantastic moves: Earth Power and Roost. Earth Power gives it a way to smack Steel types hard without having to rely on Focus Miss. Roost allows Kyurem to heal off any prior damage.

Because of these new additions to its movepool, I think Kyurem can run a few sets effectively.

Choice
Kyurem @ Choice Scarf / Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Nature: Timid / Modest
Blizzard / Ice Beam
Draco Meteor / Dragon Pulse
Earth Power
Hidden Power Fire

This set makes a great revenge killer with a Scarf or a powerful wallbreaker with a Specs. It's also great on Hail teams due to Blizzard's perfect accuracy.

Life Orb
Kyurem @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Nature: Timid / Naive
Blizzard / Ice Beam
Draco Meteor / Dragon Pulse
Earth Power
Outrage / Roost

This also functions as a wallbreaker, but has more flexibility at the cost of some power. The choice between Outrage and Roost is generally between the ability to break through Special walls or reliable recovery.

Substitute
Kyurem @ Leftovers / Life Orb
EVs: 56 HP / 232 SpA / 216 Spe
Nature: Modest / Timid
Substitute
Blizzard / Ice Beam
Dragon Pulse
Roost / Earth Power

Kyurem has good bulk and a few good resistances that allow it to set up Substitute quite often. The addition of Roost allows Kyurem to heal off the Substitute recoil. Though Earth Power is an option for extra coverage.

Ilan

I wonder why we don't do all the forms in one POTW.. Mainly I think choice scarf is the best set as kyurem is slow for a sweeper and have a fighting weakness but luckly it resists water moves so it can be good countering rain

anyway sets in OU:

@choice scarf
Modest
252 sp.attack /252 speed 4 Def
Pressure
-Ice Beam
-Earth Power
-Draco Meteor
-Focus miss/Dragon Pulse/Blizzard/HP fire

I think this set is the best for OU cause kyurem is kind of slow and he don't have a speed boosting move so he can get some real damage while not caring that much about speed
Ice beam is realiable STAB in every situation, Earth Power beat steel types specially Heatran and Jirachi who walled to death BW kyurem and now kyurem got a move to go pass them draco meteor just Nukes everything like most special inclined dragons, focus miss hits. blissey to KO it if it is at low health.. but that's all.. Dragon Pulse is a realible dragon Stab if you think you need it Blizzard is if you are running a hail team it also uses ice beam in case you fail the weather war, HP fire hits.. bug/steels and ferrothorn, beware of scizor and his bullet punches also hits bronzong who otherwise resists all of kyurems' attacks.

mixed Kyurem physical inclined
@choice scarf
Rash ( I think this is + attack - def)
252 attack, 252 speed, 4 sp.attack
Pressure
-Outrage
-Stone Edge
-Ice Beam
-Earth Power

mainly for surprise kyurem's physical movepool is one word: pathetic even kyurem-B gets only one more move than kyurems like kyurem-B standard kyurem is forced to run mixed, Outrage is a Strong Stab blissey will be surprised witha 0HKO whenit switches in. Stone edge.. well it is coverage with earth power it is kyurems' secound strongest physical attack..
ice beam is the same as always STAB..

Kyurem can run subroost but it don't have the typing to do so the stats are good but the typing MEH.. could be better

Countering kyurem: Scizor can come on every move kyurem have except HP fire and KO with bullet punch, same for ferrothorn and other steel types not weak to earth power. coming on outrages of physical kyurems can also be used to counter it..
Blissey and chansey wall kyurem easily Focus Blast doesn't do too much really..

Last edited:

Safaia

One of the perks of Kyerum is that its Ice-Typing makes it one of the only dragons not weak to Ice. It also makes for some good hail work. On the other hand, it adds a few unruly weaknesses, like Fighting- and Rock-.

Dialga is also not weak to ice because of his steel typing :3 only weak to ground and fighting (i think >_O)

(btw my first post on the forums! :D)

Ilan

I think since both formes are Uber and have their own movesets and counters.

Oh that's right.. but I hope the 2 forms will have a shared POTW since they have similar sets one is full special the other one mixed the revenge killers are mostly the same as they need to be outsped and they have similar defenses and the same typing.
The walls are not similar though as they need to focus on something it is a base 170 nothing to laugh at.
but base 170 none boosted and they don't have a way to boost it actually
Like most legendary dragons kyurem doesn't have access to dragon dance while they have massive power (base kyurem too) they don't have anyway way to boost it further except hone claws and items.

will add some points:
In OU kyurem is kind of outclassed by latios.
They have the same base sp.attack stat, but latios has better typing and ability.
He also is faster and actually is the fastest dragon.

Kyurem is great on hail teams 100% accurate blizzards is great it can nuke 180 BP move which have great coverag something latios can't do.

Blaze12x2

Kyurem@Leftovers/Life Orb
Modest/timid
100hp/252sp.atk/100def/58spdef
-Pressure
-Hail/Roost
-Blizzard/Ice Beam
-Dragon Pulse
-Psychic/HP fire/Earth Power

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.