• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #80

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kyurem. You were so powerful when I was trying to catch you, then you fell flat. Anyway, my typical set for Kyurem is special, so here it is:

Dragon Pulse
Ice Beam/Frost Breath
Shadow Ball
Focus Blast

Dragon Pulse, obvious. Ice beam is obvious as well, frost breath I'll use on occasion for the crit factor, shadow ball and focus blast are for type coverage.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Kyurem. You were so powerful when I was trying to catch you, then you fell flat. Anyway, my typical set for Kyurem is special, so here it is:

Dragon Pulse
Ice Beam/Frost Breath
Shadow Ball
Focus Blast

Dragon Pulse, obvious. Ice beam is obvious as well, frost breath I'll use on occasion for the crit factor, shadow ball and focus blast are for type coverage.

Never use Frost Breath, Blizzard is far more stronger.

Ghosts of the Forums

Who Ya Gonna Call?
my apoligies if this has been posted already, also, I can't get pictures on my 3ds.

Kyurem @Lefties
Timid
56hp, 200sp.atk, 252spe
-Ice Beam/Blizzard
-Earth Power
-Substitute
-Roost
with the 56 hp ev's, kyurem reaches 404 hit points, allowing for 101 hp subs. Max speed is necessary because of kyurem's average speed score. Earth power rounds out kyurem's coverage with the ice/ground combo, and ice beam is the best choice unless you're using a hail team, or if you rely on hax to win your battles.

kingmn2

LeThe Storm rage on!
Well, here it goes. This is my first post on one of the POTW's, but I've gotten pretty good at EV training and all, so I thought I'd give it a shot.

Hailstorm Specialty Kyurem
Ability: Pressure
Timid Nature
Item: Icy Rock
EVs: 100 Def, 252 SpA, 100 SpD, 56 Spd
Moveset:
Blizzard
Earth Power
Dragon Pulse
Ancientpower

Blizzard gains Hail's bonus accuracy; Earth Power covers Steel and Rock-types, Dragon Pulse for STAB; and Ancientpower's stat boost can be very useful.
Other options might be Glaciate for multi-battles, signal beam for typing, and maybe draco meteor? Also, having Icy Rock allows it to keep its Hail boost for pretty much the whole time Kyurem will last if the Hail was recent.

Kingmn2 - Done...

How about for a pun we do Ice Splice Baby(as Kyurem absorbs the gene of the 2 dragons)!

I love it.

Well, Kyurem got considerably better in BW2. It now has Roost to help its Stealth Rock weakness and take advantage of its great bulk, as well as Earth Power so that it doesn't have to rely on Focus Blast anymore. I've tried out a LO Roost set in the Hail lately, and it's really good.

Kyurmen@Life Orb
Timid
Pressure
252 SpA, 224 Spe, 32 HP
-Draco Meteor/Dragon Pulse
-Blizzard/Ice Beam
-Earth Power/Focus Blast
-Roost

This guy has a great combination of offensive power and survivability. It forces out quite a few Pokemon, making it easy to make time for Roost. Draco Meteor hits anything hard that doesn't resist it. Ever heard of Latios? You know, the notorious Draco Meteor spam master? Yeah, this guy hits just as hard and isn't shut down by specially defensive Jirachi (Earth Power 2HKOs after Stealth Rock). Earth Power makes almost a perfect pair with Draco Meteor, with only Bronzong, Skarmory, and Balloon Steels resisting. Of those, Bronzong is uncommon, Balloon Steels aren't always reliable, and Skarmory isn't liking Blizzard at all (physically defensive is easily OHKOd). There are a couple of slashes here. If you want to stick around longer, Dragon Pulse gives you good power without cutting your SpA with every use. If you're not using Hail, use Ice Beam over Blizzard. Finally, although the accuracy is a big turnoff, Focus Blast can be used over Earth Power. At least it has a good deal more power and keeps you from being helpless against the occasional Bronzong. The EVs here maximize power and give you enough speed to beat Jolly Landorus-T and everything slower. Speed creeping standard Kyurem spreads is also nice. The rest goes to HP to improve bulk a little.

Meowmeow

selfproclaimed guru
Kyurem has the stats to be uber. That's all that's uber about Kyurem. Its movepool is kind of disappointing. Sure, it packs a monster Blizzard, but Dragon/Ice is redundant type coverage offensively, and on defense, ITS AN ICE TYPE!! The Pressure ability is not that great on Kyurem. I see Kyurem to be in a similar position to Keldeo: powerful STAB moves with not much coverage.
On the plus side, Kyurem is a staple on Hail teams thanks to having the most powerful Blizzard in the game with a workable base 95 speed, along with OU's most powerful Draco Meteor.

Specs or Scarf
Nature: Timid/Modest
EVs: 252 special attack and speed, 4 hp (on every set)
@: Choice Specs/Choice Scarf

Blizzard/Ice Beam
Draco Meteor/Dragon Pulse
Earth Power
Dragon Pulse/Ice Beam/Hidden Power Fire

Special attacking with Kyurem's best tools.

Life Orb
Nature: Timid
@: Life Orb

Blizzard
Draco Meteor
Earth Power
Roost

Kyurem will never be able to tolerate being an Ice type defensively, but Roost is a nice addition to Kyurem's movepool, one way or another.

Other options:
Kyurem's attack is just as high as its special attack. However, a lack of a physical movepool outside of Outrage and Stone Edge makes this a poor option.
Focus Blast hits Steels and packs a lot more power than Earth Power. Beware of that accuracy. Hail will fix Blizzard, but not Focus Blast.

Kraleck

My biggest beef with Kyurem has to be Glaciate. Why have a signature Move that pitiful? Who cares that it's Aurora Beam with Icy Wind's effect when you have access to Ice Beam and Blizzard? It helps your Base 95 Speed, yes, but so does BATON PASS...

I don't mean to rant, but if Glaciate were moderately better, it might see a little usage. Even if you gave it a guaranteed Freeze, 50% accuracy, and 30 Power, it would be better than it is now. At least the fused forms have signature Moves that are useful AND powerful...but that's for another time...

Joke Set - Please Do Not Take This Set Seriously
Stats: Timid, Max Speed & HP, rest Sp.Atk
Item: Salac Berry
Moves: Glaciate, Roost, Substitute, Hidden Power (Fire)
Strategy: Crank your Speed up to 11 and pray for Scizor with Hidden Power (Fire) predictions. Sub-Salac + Roost to aid your high HP and low Speed. Be as useless as a Kyurem set can be because of Glaciate...

X-Saber

Kyurem is really worthy POTW as it is pretty unique in ways of having Ice- and Dragon-type STAB but indeed like all great Pokemon is weak to alot of things and can die really fast if not used correctly.

grantholomew

accually is dolan
And Fighting and Rock. Stealth Rock is lethal. Terrakion is obviously a great counter thought it might take some serious damage switching in.

kyurem@life orb
Elemental dragon
-blizzard
-outrage
-fusion flare
-fusion bolt
Nature - hasty/nieve
4hp/126atk/126spatk/252spd
Since kyurem can legitly learn both fusion flare fusion bolt

Takeo

move set pun,

"such an ice sore"

Give this man a gold star.

Edit:

Forever a Kyurem
trollfacekyurembannerbannedinUUsuckinOUcopy.png

Last edited:
kyurem@life orb
Elemental dragon
-blizzard
-outrage
-fusion flare
-fusion bolt
Nature - hasty/nieve
4hp/126atk/126spatk/252spd
Since kyurem can legitly learn both fusion flare fusion bolt
Kyurem cannot learn FF and FB in its normal forme.

Sub Roost Kyurem looks pretty cool. PP stalls Ferrothorn out of Gyro Balls, beats Blissey / Chansey and has little trouble with Scizor (Subs on the switch in and either Roosts or Blizzards for a solid 2-3HKO with Hail / Rocks). Can run Blizzard with either Dragon Pulse or Earth Power in the last slot. Probably Earth Power to screw up Tyranitar (though it can PP stall Stone Edge).

Ilan

My biggest beef with Kyurem has to be Glaciate. Why have a signature Move that pitiful? Who cares that it's Aurora Beam with Icy Wind's effect when you have access to Ice Beam and Blizzard? It helps your Base 95 Speed, yes, but so does BATON PASS...

I don't mean to rant, but if Glaciate were moderately better, it might see a little usage. Even if you gave it a guaranteed Freeze, 50% accuracy, and 30 Power, it would be better than it is now. At least the fused forms have signature Moves that are useful AND powerful...but that's for another time...

Joke Set - Please Do Not Take This Set Seriously
Stats: Timid, Max Speed & HP, rest Sp.Atk
Item: Salac Berry
Moves: Glaciate, Roost, Substitute, Hidden Power (Fire)
Strategy: Crank your Speed up to 11 and pray for Scizor with Hidden Power (Fire) predictions. Sub-Salac + Roost to aid your high HP and low Speed. Be as useless as a Kyurem set can be because of Glaciate...

The signature moves of kyurem suck.. only his alterante forms moves from zakrom or reshiem are actually good.

I don't really understand the sub roost build.. 252 HP 252 speed?

BNMH

This is very kyul.
Kyurem
Nature:Serious
First of all , Kyurem got a good Attack and Sp. attack , No much problem at all , you will need both of them to deal with fire , ground , dragon or rock types , here´s the moveset.
Outrage (Physical) This is important , with this , you can deal with any dragon type pokemon or ones with a lot of HP.
Blizzard/Ice Beam (Special) Both works perfectly , if you want to hit without missing you should go with ice beam , but if you want to hit very hard , use Blizzard , both can deal with dragon , ground , flying and grass type pokemon like Landorus.
Stone Edge/Rock Slide (Both Physical) Both works perfectly , Rock slide is good , when you´re dealing with 2 or 3 Pokémon at the same time. Stone edge works fine too and also it has a high critical-hit ratio , with this attacks you can K-O pokémons like Dragonite , Gyarados , Skarmory , etc.
Dragon Pulse (Special) You can trust this attack without getting confused to deal a good damage to dragon type pokémons.
Items : Life Orb - Gives you a boost of attack but cost some HP.

Countering Kyurem
You should take with you a pokemon like heatran , it Steel/Fire typing works perfectly.
Or pokémons like Scizor , Bronzong or any fighting type pokémon like Machamp , Primeape or Terrakion with an Adamant nature.

Flippd

Kyurem's glaciate is worse. Really worse. Even Ice Beam overpowers it. He's so special, but, Glaciate? No. I suggest to keep Glaciate away from his movesets. What i would do with him is:

Did you ever saw your'e not symmetrical?
@ Leftovers
Mild
Blizzard/Ice Beam
Hidden Power [Fire]
Dragon Pulse
Outrage

Blizzard and Ice Beam are strong moves that will kill grass walls and other stuff and might kill some of, like, Skarmory? Whatever. Hidden Power Fire kills Ferrothorn, Scizor, and assists the Ice moves if they can't. Dragon Pulse is a just-to-be-there-move, although is really useful. Outrage finishes it. It kills high HPed pokemon and dragons such as Dragonite and Garchomp.

philzone

Ready for trumpets
This is very kyul.
Kyurem
Nature:Serious
First of all , Kyurem got a good Attack and Sp. attack , No much problem at all , you will need both of them to deal with fire , ground , dragon or rock types , here´s the moveset.
Outrage (Physical) This is important , with this , you can deal with any dragon type pokemon or ones with a lot of HP.
Blizzard/Ice Beam (Special) Both works perfectly , if you want to hit without missing you should go with ice beam , but if you want to hit very hard , use Blizzard , both can deal with dragon , ground , flying and grass type pokemon like Landorus.
Stone Edge/Rock Slide (Both Physical) Both works perfectly , Rock slide is good , when you´re dealing with 2 or 3 Pokémon at the same time. Stone edge works fine too and also it has a high critical-hit ratio , with this attacks you can K-O pokémons like Dragonite , Gyarados , Skarmory , etc.
Dragon Pulse (Special) You can trust this attack without getting confused to deal a good damage to dragon type pokémons.
Items : Life Orb - Gives you a boost of attack but cost some HP.

Countering Kyurem
You should take with you a pokemon like heatran , it Steel/Fire typing works perfectly.
Or pokémons like Scizor , Bronzong or any fighting type pokémon like Machamp , Primeape or Terrakion with an Adamant nature.
Nature should be either naive or hasty, so then it out runs attackers. Serious does nothing good to it. I would suggest 252 spd and 128 in both offences.

Puns
Crossing boundries(earthpower sets)
Ice age
Dragon popcicle

Ilan

Nature should be either naive or hasty, so then it out runs attackers. Serious does nothing good to it. I would suggest 252 spd and 128 in both offences.

Puns
Crossing boundries(earthpower sets)
Ice age
Dragon popcicle

HUH? what about the focused special attacker?
anyway sometimes you focus on one attack and leave the other for coverage like salamance he doesn't invert in special attack and he still run mostly mixed and you don't want to take a fire blast on skarmory..

Status
Not open for further replies.