• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #81

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Time for the next Pokémon of the Week and the last of the three weeks to tie in with the new movie

This week, we're going to cover the Pokémon, Meloetta.

648.png
648-s.png

Meloetta is a decent Pokémon with the ability to change form in battle.

If you list a set designed to change form, make sure it's noted

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/648.shtml

Go nuts

TimmahX

Overview

Gimmick Pokemon aren't exactly new to Competitive Battling, but Meloetta may be the first case where we have an Event Pokemon that has a handling style all her own. Her signature move, Relic Song, lets her jump between two viable forms, and when backed by Serene Grace gives it a 20% Chance to cause Sleep, making it a viable move on its own. The problem with Meloetta is that she always enters the battlefield in her basic form, so you need to tread lightly or use her as a late game sweeper most likely if you want to stay in her alternate form.

Ability
Serene Grace: Meloetta doesn't get to abuse this ability on the level that Togekiss, Jirachi, and Dunsparce can. She does have a few noteworthy applications though: Relic Song has a 20% Sleep Rate, Thunder has a 60% Paralysis Rate, and she has a whole plethora of moves that reduce Sp.Def as well.

Hitting High Notes
Nature: Timid/Modest
EVs: 252 SpAtk, 252 Speed, 4 HP
Item: Life Orb / Choice Specs / Choice Scarf
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Hyper Voice / Thunder / Energy Ball / Grass Knot / Shadow Ball
- Hyper Voice / Thunder / Energy Ball / Grass Knot / Shadow Ball

A standard Special Sweeper set, Meloetta's 128 Sp.Atk is incredibly high, and her bulk is greater than several other powerful Psychic Types. Her typing also nets her a nice Ghost Immunity.

Psychic is your go to STAB attack if you want to stay in the Special Sweeper form. It is picked over Psyshock because of the chance of Serene Grace abuse, which with luck can make Blissey run for fear of a surefire 2hko. Focus Blast is highly desirable to deal with Dark Types that normally are hard counters to Meloetta, and for that pink blob.

The last two move slots depend on what you want. Hyper Voice is another STAB move, but it lacks coverage. Thunder can be used on a rain team, and has a nice 60% Paralysis rate. Energy Ball and Grass Knot add more coverage to deal with bulky water types, the former having a Sp.Def down chance, the latter nuking heavy Rock types with much better accuracy than Focus Blast. Shadow Ball catches Ghost Types and other Psychic Types.

Cleric
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Speed, 4 HP
Item: Leftovers
- U-turn
- Heal Bell
- Thunder Wave
- Support Move

This supportive set uses Meloetta as a both a scout and team supporter, but doesn't exactly play into her specialties. Therefore, the set isn't exactly the best one to use with her, but it is an option.

U-turn provides scouting and momentum to Meloetta's team and is usually used after she finishes supporting. Heal Bell is what gives the set the name "Cleric", curing the team's status conditions. Thunder Wave gives very nice paralysis support and could buy Meloetta time it otherwise wouldn't have to do what it needs to do.

Trick, Gravity, Wonder Room, Magic Room, Trick Room, Toxic, and Perish Song all have uses as final moves on this set. Pick which one your team needs the most.

Last edited:

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
Dirty Dan-sing

Kraleck

Analysis
Aria Meloetta - Capable of 101-Substitute HP, Great Special Stats, Above-Average Physical Stats, Good Speed, Weak to Bug & Dark (not good with the lower Defense)
Pirouette Meloetta - Capable of 101-Substitute HP, Great Attack & Speed, Above-Average Special Stats, Good Defense, Weak to Flying, Fighting, & Psychic, Requires 1 dedicated Moveslot for a Special-based Move

Overall, Defense is Meloetta's weakest link since Pirouette's Base 90 is barely better than Aria's Base 77 and you still have to spend a turn on Relic Song to become Pirouette. Having 128 as Meloetta's primary offensive stat is a wrecking ball, but you have to be wary of whatever stat you choose to lower if you choose a Mixed Attacker setup. Lowering either attack stat is a bad idea for a Mixed Attacker and the balance in Meloetta's defenses between forms is too fickle to mess with. Speed is never a good choice to lower unless your Base Speed is Gyro Ball/Trick Room oriented (and Meloetta's isn't in either form). If you have to lower 1 Stat for another's boost, I'd say lower Sp.Def because they'll always see Aria at least long enough to think "Aria's high Sp.Def means use Physicals."

Vandslaux

Hone Claws Meloetta breaks stall like no other.

Meloetta @ Life Orb
Naive
4 Atk/252 SpA/252 Spe
Hone Claws
Close Combat
Psychic
Thunder

10speed12

Pirouette Forme Based:
Nature: Hasty
EVs: 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP
Moves:
Relic Song
Close Combat/Drain Punch
Hone Claws
Thunder Punch

Meowmeow

selfproclaimed guru
I'm going to break my analysis into two parts

ARIA FORM

I'm really not impressed. Latios is much better. Abusing Serene Grace is pretty tricky since there isn't much to abuse it with.

Boosting Sweeper
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 sp attack and speed, 4 hp
@: Life Orb

Charge Beam/Calm Mind
Psychic/Psyshock
Shadow Ball/Hyper Voice
Focus Blast/Hyper Voice

Charge Beam lets you boost without being crippled by Taunt, but ground-types can stop that, so Calm Mind can be used instead. Psychic hits harder, but Psyshock deals physical damage. Shadow Ball and Focus Blast add coverage while Hyper Voice is extra STAB.

Choice
Nature: Timid
EVs: same as last
@: Choice Specs/Choice Scarf

Psyshock/Psychic
Shadow Ball
Focus Blast
Hyper Voice/Relic Song/U-Turn

Choice attacker is a choice attacker. Relic Song will power down every other turn. Also, if you sleep something with it, you will be forced to switch due to sleep clause. U-Turn scouts.

Basically, just use Latios. It's way better.

PIROUETTE FORM

Now THIS is scary. You are restricted to three moves because the fourth slot requires Relic Song. Also, You can't run a choice set because of it. However, something that hits about as hard as Terrakion and is super fast? Terrifying!

Meloetta does Haruhi Suzumiya's Hare Hare Yukai! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_indP8fT494
Nature: Adamant (this thing is plenty fast)
EVs: 252 attack and speed, 4 hp
@: Life Orb/Muscle Band/Leftovers

Relic Song
Drain Punch/Close Combat
Shadow Claw
Stone Edge

The main issue is that Meloetta has three-moveslot syndrome for this form. There is no room for dual STAB or a boosting move, so everything comes down to Meloetta's raw stats. Thankfully, those are quite huge. Relic Song lets Meloetta change form, so it's required. Drain Punch is awesome with Life Orb, but Close Combat will pulverize everything that doesn't resist or is immune. Whatever else is handled by either Shadow Claw or Stone Edge.

Meloetta sings and dances Lucky Star's Motteke! Sailor Fuku! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAOB0Xx9o3I&feature=related
Nature: Hasty
EVs: 252 speed, 120 attack, rest special attack
@: Leftovers/Life Orb

Work Up/Shadow Ball
Relic Song
Close Combat
Psychic/Shadow Ball

The fact that Meloetta changes form in battle can be a major hassle, but it can also work in your benefit. Relic Song lets you swap to the stat that you need while possibly shutting down an enemy. Work Up is the boosting move. Close Combat is Physical STAB while Psychic is Special STAB. Work Up or Psychic can be dropped for Shadow Ball if type coverage worries you.

Other options:
While slower, Terrakion has superior type coverage behind STABs.
Fire Punch hits Skarmory and Bronzong and Scizor, but has little use otherwise.

Countering:
Paralysis is your friend. Neither form likes paralysis. Otherwise, a good Mach Punch from Conkeldurr will do the job after entry hazard damage is factored in. Sableye and Spiritomb wall Meloetta 100% if Meloetta does not have Shadow Ball or Shadow Claw, which is more common on mixed attackers. Physical Meloetta is handled by simply switching in any Ghost type because Relic Song will fail and shut down Meloetta completely. Physical Meloetta also has the problem of being forced to rely only on her raw stats because Relic Song takes up a move slot, leaving her with only three usable moves. Also, locking Meloetta into Relic Song with Trick+Choice Item or Encore. One last thing you can do is phaze this thing. Physical Meloetta hates being phazed.
I didn't mention much about Special Meloetta. The reason is because Special Meloetta really isn't much of anything special. It's just Gardevoir on steroids and a normal typing. Chansey or Blissey can handle Special Meloetta as long as Meloetta does not have Psyshock.
The main thing to remember is that Meloetta is something that can swing momentum in your favor, but will have trouble maintaining it.

Last edited:

Ilan

I don't think we should write a POTW about a pokemon which was just released, meloetta is such a versible pokemon it can do almost every role it wants with the new B2W2 moves it can now act like a cleric and a decwent tank whch don't afraid of status it can act as annoyer with Zen headbutt added to her arsenal.

SubCM
@leftovers
252 HP, 252 defense, 4 speed or 252 HP, 4 defense, 252 speed
Bold/Timid
Serene grace
-Subtitute
-Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Focus Blast/Shadow ball

Your typical SubCM set, subtitute and calm mind create a defense hard to break though thanks to the decent speed of meloetta she can set up subs and with her amazing special defense she can wall most special attacks easily with those HP inversment blissey is not a problem she can't break though the Sub with seismic toss, and with ghost immunity night shade is not a problem, psychic is her strongest STAB move while shadow ball and focus miss depend on who you want to hit Focus miss fails to hit other psychics types the most notable is reuniculus while shadow ball fails to hit steel types specially scizor who is everywhere and dark types like tyranitar.

Special tank/supporter
@leftovers
252 HP, 252 sp.defense, 4 defense
Calm
Serene grace
-Perish Song
-Heal Bell
-psychic
-Focus blast/shadow ball/thunder/U-turn

Perish song is a valuable move specially on opposing calm minders like reuniculus or other set up sweepers, heal bell supports the whole team, Psychic is STAB and most walls need some kind of offensive move cause of taunt and just so if you don't need to tank you have something to attack with, focus balst and shadow ball is for coverage depending on the user, thunmder is for rain teams with serene grace it have a whooping 60% chance to paralyze, U-turn scouts and can help with perish song.

Mixed relic song all out attacker
@life orb
252 attack, 4 sp.attack, 252 speed
Naive/Hasty
Serene Grace
-Close Combat/Drain Punch
-Relic Song
-Psychic/Zen HeadButt
-Shadow Claw/Shadow Ball

Meloetta is sure one of the best mixed attackers it the only pokemon captable of switching type and stats mid battle (I am aware that castform and kakleon switch type but not stats) Relic song is an amazing move not only it gives meloetta other stats and typiing but have (thanks to serene grace) 20% chance to induce the gen 5 broken sleep, close combat is a really good STAB it is the strongest meloetta move coming from a base 128 attack in piruette form it is almost as strong as terrakions' but meloetta have more than it drain punch is for survivality it still keeps some defenses so it it useable,psychic is a strong special STAB, SHadow claw is for coverage on some ghosts specially jellicent who will try to burn you and wall you you can use shadow Ball instead but then better use zen headbutt to not being walled by ghosts,flying types and poinson types in piruette form.

The Dancing Destroyer
Meloetta @ Life Orb/Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Relic Song
- Close Combat/Brick Break
- U-turn/Hone Claws
- Shadow Claw/Stone Edge

Pirouette forme sweeper.Relic Song to change into Pirouette form(Normal/Fighting).Close combat for power,Brick Break if you don't like your defenses lowered.U-turn to switch pokemon and do damage,break sashes,sturdy pokemon.Shadow Claw for perfect coverage against all pokemon,Stone edge is if you really don't like Flying types.Life orb for more damage,Leftovers for more survival.

The Soothing Sweeper
Meloetta @ Life Orb/Choice Specs/Choice Scarf
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Hyper Voice
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball/HP(Fire)
- Focus Blast

Aria forme sweeper.Hyper voice and Psychic for STAB,Shadow Ball and Focus Blast give perfect coverage,HP(Fire) for a harder hit on Skarmory,Ferrothron and Scizor.Choice items are actually useful in this set because you don't need to use Relic Song to change forme.

That's what i think are good sets for Meloetta.

wunderkind

Haven't been here in a while...

A good idea for Pirouette forme is to team it up with a Pokemon that can Baton Pass strong Substitutes. That could allow it to change formes with Relic Song without having to take a hit.

Just curious, but is Relic Song a one-way forme change? Or can it be used by Pirouette forme to revert back to Aria forme?

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Haven't been here in a while...

A good idea for Pirouette forme is to team it up with a Pokemon that can Baton Pass strong Substitutes. That could allow it to change formes with Relic Song without having to take a hit.

Just curious, but is Relic Song a one-way forme change? Or can it be used by Pirouette forme to revert back to Aria forme?

Switching out Pirouette form to another pokemon reverts it back to Aria.

Does Tornadus-T outspeed Meloetta-P with Choice Scarf?

Last edited:

philzone

Ready for trumpets
My new favorite set. Choice trick.
Choice scarf
Timid/hasty
252 speed 252 hp /sp def/sp att, 4 hp /spdef/spatt.
Trick
Thunder wave
U turn/psychic/hyper voice/thunderbolt
U turn/psychic/hyper voice/thunder bolt

I love these sets.annoy the foe by tricking a choice scarf over to the foe. Thunder wave cripples sweepers. The last moves are upto you. U turn is to scout, so might want to be run an a hasty nature. Psychic is stab. So is hyper voice. Thunderbolt cripples with paralysis too. (Also useful for skarmory)
Now the evs. 252 speed is obvious. The latter aren't. They depend on your taste. Hp for bulk and sp def for special wall. S att is to attact strong. The other 4 should go into a suitable one(not the same as the previous one)
Pun name: the hex factor.

@durant eater
I see where you are going with this. I believe so.
Tornadus does no matter how many speed evs it has. Or if it has a beneficial nature
Spd boosting nature tornadus-t with 252 spd and choice scarf has 562.5 speed. Melloeta same stats has 390.ok?

Last edited:

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
@durant eater
I see where you are going with this. I believe so.
Tornadus does no matter how many speed evs it has. Or if it has a beneficial nature
Spd boosting nature tornadus-t with 252 spd and choice scarf has 562.5 speed. Melloeta same stats has 390.ok?

Yes, and in rain it can kill her with STAB Hurricane at her low sp defense.

TrollFreak

Pit is Awesome :P
Not doing the doubles form for this one. Reason because it isn;t out for VGC yet, so I wouldn't be able to write a legit analysis. If I do end up using it, I'll send BH my thoughts. As such, lemme get Keldeo out of the way from 2 weeks ago

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Not doing the doubles form for this one. Reason because it isn;t out for VGC yet, so I wouldn't be able to write a legit analysis. If I do end up using it, I'll send BH my thoughts. As such, lemme get Keldeo out of the way from 2 weeks ago

Wait, if you can do that, could you might update some of the previous POTWs with the new moves and such?

TrollFreak

Pit is Awesome :P
Asked Serebii about that, we're getting through the current ones 1st, then I may back track and get the important ones (T-Tar for example)

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
OK, this looks wonderful, thanks^^

On topic, Other Options:
Ice Punch- good for Landorus, Gliscor, Tornadus, Dragonite and Salamence but that's it
Thunder Punch- Gyarados coverage, not much else
Heal Bell- Meloetta isn't the best supporter but eliminating status for your team is always nice
Trick- Again not the best but works
Fire Punch- Maybe for Skarmory but I don't know
Zen Headbutt- Meloetta-P's only Physical STAB, not good coverage( well for Conkeldurr and such) but with Serene Grace it gets its flinch rate increased, which can help.

P.S. Meloetta is my favorite Legendary:)

Status
Not open for further replies.