• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #82

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetalCrow

I see that lots of people lime the idea of sword dance sets and swift swim sbuse, but i just want everybody to remember the derpy pokemon...they do good to screw up armaldo's game...especially quagsire...with unaware and/or curse it can end up walling poor armaldo...in addition, the curse tank set can use your own rain to boost the power of its own, already boosted, waterfall attack...or maybe you could toxic stall armaldo...or burn it with scald...what's his face, stunfisk likes doing those things too

Actually, most low tier bulky water types other than slowking do a good job walling armaldo...golurk too, it is not 2ko'd at all (maybe except for a rain boosted +2 aqua tail)

Last edited:

Kraleck

Looking at stats, Armaldo suffers from middling-level HP like most Bug Types, but has solid Physical Stats and low Speed like most Rock Types. Sp.Atk is completely forgettable and Sp.Def is a problem due to Rock's Weakness to Water. That said, having Sandstorm or Sand Stream Ability on a Rain-based Team can screw with opponents' heads. Because of this, Water Type Pokemon immune to Sandstorm like Empoleon or Quagsire not only make good opponents to Armaldo, they make incredible Allies with it, too.

Overcoat and Magic Guard Abilities also add to the list of Armaldo's potential Counters and Allies. Reuniclus and Mandibuzz can tank quite a bit and stall out some of Armaldo's Counters, but can do so to Counter Armaldo if used right as well.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Armaldo is really weird. On one hand it is some kind of pokémon that is supposed to live in the ocean, while at the same time it actually has a water weakness. In Sandstorm in can actually be quite defensive, whilst in rain it can go offensive with Swift Swim. It isn't a great pokémon, especially bulky waters just walk all over it. If it relies on rain support it goes down even faster to bulky waters.

It gained a few tricks since 3rd gen, like X-scissor, Swift Swim, and Stone Edge, but when it comes down to it, it still is a very slow pokémon with barely any resistances and quite bad Sp.Def. Without Sandstorm or Swift Swim those weaknesses still bring about its downfall, and in that sense it is still the same as in 3rd gen. Just too slow and too easy to kill with Surf to really take over the world.

Armaldo still is a cool pokémon though, due to his weird love-hate relation with water. I'm pretty sure that Armaldo is the only pokémon (apart from Anorith) that is weak to water while getting Swift Swim.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
My shrimp is prawning those noobs:
Hp: Armaldo
Attack: Armaldo
Defense: Crustle
Sp Attack:Armaldo
Sp Defense: Armaldo
Speed: Tie

Despite Armaldo winning the stat battles, a reason why Crustle is a bit better is because Crustle can use Shell Smash to up its attack and speed while Armaldo has to use Swords Dance or Rock Polish(Both on one set isn't that great). However the Speed can be remedied by Swift Swim on a Rain Dance team, but is prone to strong Water STABs. So the prawn may have competition from its crabby brother(no pun intended), it still has its niches over Crustle.

Kraleck

My shrimp is prawning those noobs:
Hp: Armaldo
Attack: Armaldo
Defense: Crustle
Sp Attack:Armaldo
Sp Defense: Armaldo
Speed: Tie

Despite Armaldo winning the stat battles, a reason why Crustle is a bit better is because Crustle can use Shell Smash to up its attack and speed while Armaldo has to use Swords Dance or Rock Polish(Both on one set isn't that great). However the Speed can be remedied by Swift Swim on a Rain Dance team, but is prone to strong Water STABs. So the prawn may have competition from its crabby brother(no pun intended), it still has its niches over Crustle.

Very true. Crustle's access to Sturdy Ability also helps with being able to use the buff from Shell Smash, too. Armaldo has to rely on its existing bulk (which may not be worth much if you predict poorly or the opponent has a naturally high offense) or the opponent switching to pull off a successful buff. For either of them, getting burned by Scald effectively neutralizes both of them...or Scald KOs them outright depending on how much damage it dealt in a single shot (even at 1 HP from Sturdy, the added Burn will KO Crustle).

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Very true. Crustle's access to Sturdy Ability also helps with being able to use the buff from Shell Smash, too. Armaldo has to rely on its existing bulk (which may not be worth much if you predict poorly or the opponent has a naturally high offense) or the opponent switching to pull off a successful buff. For either of them, getting burned by Scald effectively neutralizes both of them...or Scald KOs them outright depending on how much damage it dealt in a single shot (even at 1 HP from Sturdy, the added Burn will KO Crustle).

That is a reason why choosing Crustle or Armaldo is hard for me to pick when playing RU on PO. Both are good Bug/Rock but both have some cool niches as Bugs

Swoobat

That is a reason why choosing Crustle or Armaldo is hard for me to pick when playing RU on PO. Both are good Bug/Rock but both have some cool niches as Bugs

It depends on what you need. If a reliable Rapid Spinner is required, Armaldo is the best choice, as Crustle can't learn Rapid Spin. But Crustle is better than Armaldo using Entry Hazards, because it learns Spikes, and have a better ability in Spikes. They cannot be compared in these support roles. However, as a sweeper, Crustle is better due to Shell Smash.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
It depends on what you need. If a reliable Rapid Spinner is required, Armaldo is the best choice, as Crustle can't learn Rapid Spin. But Crustle is better than Armaldo using Entry Hazards, because it learns Spikes, and have a better ability in Spikes. They cannot be compared in these support roles. However, as a sweeper, Crustle is better due to Shell Smash.

Yes, but with Cryoganal in RU, it can Spin better, has recovery, and can try to make up for the pathetic defense. Though yes Crustle is better as a sweeper than Armaldo due to Sturdy to get a Shell Smash up. It is ashame Armaldo didn't get it though.

Kraleck

Yes, but with Cryoganal in RU, it can Spin better, has recovery, and can try to make up for the pathetic defense. Though yes Crustle is better as a sweeper than Armaldo due to Sturdy to get a Shell Smash up. It is ashame Armaldo didn't get it though.

Despite the obvious Surf issue, they make interesting partners in Doubles, but not so much Triples. You could lure a Surf and switch to Water Absorb/Dry Skin Ability Pokemon like Toxicroak and Jellicent, using Armaldo and Crustle as bait.

Storm Drain Ability partners are great choices in Multi, too. Gastrodon and Cradily can...eh-heh, soak a hit...from Scald or Surf while Armaldo goes all out. These two make great Triples Partners with Armaldo in the center to guarantee it has Water Pseudo-Immunity.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Eh, I am not feeling in the mood for more puns, Blue Harvest will have to surprise me with shrimp/prawn puns to use in the future=p

Back on topic, Could some Bulky Tangela variants counter it? Never used Tangela in NU much but I thought it would be something to mention. Already mention Bold Weezing with WoW and Clear Smog.

Last edited:

MetalCrow

Eh, I am not feeling in the mood for more puns, Blue Harvest will have to surprise me with shrimp/prawn puns to use in the future=p

Back on topic, Could some Bulky Tangela variants counter it? Never used Tangela in NU much but I thought it would be something to mention. Already mention Bold Weezing with WoW and Clear Smog.

It can take on tangela with a choice band/ sword dance boost + STAB x-scissor

philzone

Ready for trumpets
puns:
prawn cocktail (if anyone can find a decent mixed set)
The monster of morecambe bay(choice band set. Morecambe, in the UK, is famous for shrimp)

Kraleck

Problem is, Armaldo has little choices outside of Water Pulse and a couple moves I forgot to mention which all suck, Armaldo isn't one you want to go mix.

Water Pulse, Round, Hidden Power, Flash Cannon, and Earth Power. While they don't suck on their own, Armaldo's Below-Average Base 70 Sp.Atk is pitiful next to its godly Base 125 Attack Stat. If you're planning on using Armaldo as a Supporter for some insane reason, you could use Struggle Bug and/or Mud-Slap, I guess...but why waste that delicious Attack Stat?

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Water Pulse, Round, Hidden Power, Flash Cannon, and Earth Power. While they don't suck on their own, Armaldo's Below-Average Base 70 Sp.Atk is pitiful next to its godly Base 125 Attack Stat. If you're planning on using Armaldo as a Supporter for some insane reason, you could use Struggle Bug and/or Mud-Slap, I guess...but why waste that delicious Attack Stat?

Struggle Bug is also the only STAB special move he gets too, and Supp-aldo(shut up with the name) works as well due to having rocks and Rapid Spin as well which helps in in Sandstorm.

Star Champion AJ

Pun examples:
"I'll slip an extra shrimp on the barbie for you"
It's so tough to make prawns based on shrimps
These prawns are so annoying
Prawn to disaster
Prawn to error

prawn.jpg
VS
armaldo.jpg

Armaldo is not a prawn.

Anorith is based off Anomalocaris (its not a Trilobite)
Armaldo is sort of like Kabutops, in that it isn't really based off anything except a more evolved, scarier version of its previous form.

Status
Not open for further replies.