• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #83

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soperman

The One and Only
Oh Hypno, Hypno, Hypno. What a pokemon you are. You are another one of those pokemon Gamefreak randomly dumped some good Special Defense onto, and then left. While Blissey and Jellicent are in OU thanks to this, you're stuck in NU, because you have nothing else good about you. You are nothing more than a gimmick Gamefreak wanted to implant in the early games; you can use Hypnosis to hypnotize your opponents into falling asleep, and have an ability preventing the same from happening to you. Problem is, Hypnosis has horrendous accuracy, and few other pokemon would really feel threatened enough to put you to sleep. Your Speed is mediocre at best, your offenses pathetic. Your move-pool isn't actually that bad (in fact, it's incredible!), and if there were more Fighting types in NU, I'm sure you would be popular. Alas, in a metagame where there are bigger and better Psychic types, some Ghost and Dark types, and almost no Fighting types, you are failing rather miserably. Even your abilities aren't that great. Frankly, you need better Attack or Special Attack to be good. It's sad that such a great move-pool is wasted on such a bad pokemon... TO THE ABILITIES!
Forewarn: Tells you your opponents strongest attack. Not really that great, considering it isn't that hard to figure out an opponent''s move set since they're all on Smogon. I guess it could give you a slight advantage. Moving on.
Insomnia: Prevents you from falling asleep. It's not bad, it just isn't that good either.
Inner Focus (DW) Prevents flinching. Again, not bad, but not good either.

Just saying, I'm not going to put an ability for these move sets, since they don't really affect the move set, regardless of what you pick.

Shnergreeerguerghashnmrglerrrg
-Nasty Plot
-Psychic
-Shadow Ball
-Focus Blast/Hidden Power [Fighting]
Item: Life Orb
Ability: Whichever
EVs and Nature: Modest (+Sp. Atk, -Atk)
252 Hp/252 Sp. Atk/4 Sp. Def
The title is the sound I imagine a Hypno making. Anyway, Nasty Plot is to boost your Sp. Atk to powerful levels. Psychic, Shadow Ball, and the Fighting attack of your choice all have perfect coverage between them. The reason I have tow Fighting moves is for Accuracy over Power with Hidden Power.

Glurggnshneergubumbrrrrrrr
-Drain Punch
-Zen Headbutt
-Ice Punch
-Thunderpunch
Item: Choice Band
Ability: Whichever
EVs and Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -Sp. Atk)
252 Hp/252 Atk/4 Sp. Def
It sucks that Hypno doesn't have Swords Dance or even Bulk Up, since his physical move-pool is amazing. But we'll make do with what we have. Drain Punch is "healing" and an overall good attack. Zen Headbutt is excellent STAB, and Ice Punch and Thunderpunch have perfect coverage offensively. Choice Band is so he can do some damage at least.

Other Options
Using Calm Mind to boost your Special Defense is always an option over Nasty Plot.
Baton Pass could be useful as well.
If you really want a support set, Toxic, Taunt, and Skill Swap are all options.
Meditate is not recommended, but can be used to boost your Attack if you want.

Partners
Dark types are generally a problem, so consider using Fighting types to aid Hypno. Ghost types can be a problem, so Dark types as well. Bug types are annoying, so bring in a Fire type. Altogether, we want Machoke with Payback and Fire Punch.

Countering Hypno
Absol utterly destroys him. STAB Sucker Punch of any kind, really, is fatal to Hypno, thanks to his lackluster Defense stat. Bug types sort of wall him. Any Special wall walls him, really. He isn't that great, but don't let it set up too much, or it will be a problem.

butterz365

Hypno
- Hypnosis
- Nightmare
- Dream Eater
- Nasty Plot
Ability: Forewarn
EVs: 252 Defense/252 Sp. Defense/4 Speed
Nature: Modest (+SAtk,-Atk)

Need an idea for what item to give it I was thinking a focus band so he has the chance to make the pokemon sleep and then take hp to heal up or gives it a chance to switch. Also he needs the help with defenses and speed

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Hypno
- Hypnosis
- Nightmare
- Dream Eater
- Nasty Plot
EVs: 252 Defense/252 Sp. Defense/4 Speed
Nature: Modest (+SAtk,-Atk)

Need an idea for what item to give it I was thinking a focus band so he has the chance to make the pokemon sleep and then take hp to heal up or gives it a chance to switch.

Honchkrow laughs at this set, but I would switch Nightmare with Focus Blast.

GirlKirbyZombie

Pokemon Rancher
Come little children

Funny. I just sent someone on a different site (Who has Drowzee in the username) a Hypno creepypasta. If you wanna see it, here's a link.

Now to review the pokemon.

He's one of the few psychic types to have a usable physical attack. Its special defense is what can make this guy dangerous.

The Illusionist
Nature: Relaxed
EVs: 252 Def, 67 HP, and 189 Sp.Def
Ability: Forewarn or Inner Focus
Item: Leftovers
Moves:
Barrier/Reflect/Seismic Toss
Calm Mind
Assist
Thunder Wave/Substitute/Counter

A moveset that might pwn if you have the right pokemon. Hypno's bulk should help it survive many hits and pull off many moves. Watch out for taunt because it will make Hypno struggle.

The ye old moveset
Nature: Modest
EVs: 189 Def, 67 Sp. Def, and 252 Sp. Att
Item:
Moves:
Hypnosis
Dream Eater
Seismic Toss/Shadow Ball
Barrier/Psyshock/Psychic/Future Sight

A classic moveset. Just look out for Scizor and Armaldo!

GirlKirbyZombie

Pokemon Rancher
Sorry to post again, but I want to give evolite Drowzee a mention.

Bully
Nature: Impish
EVs: 252 Def, 252 Sp. Def, and 4 Attack
Ability: Insomnia or Inner Focus
Item: Evolite
Moves:
Drain Punch
Toxic
Wish
Protect

A pretty bulky toxic staller. Best if used with Trick Room.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Sorry to post again, but I want to give evolite Drowzee a mention.

You can simply edit your posts;)

Counters: In LC Scraggy with some bulk invested can take a Drain Punch and strike back at Drowzee with Crunch.

EDIT: isn't Scraggy banned from LC?

Last edited:

Aurath8

Hypno. He has a bit of a weird appearance and at a glance looks pretty forgetable. But Hypno does have a pretty good support movepool, with Nasty Plot, Trick Room, Baton Pass, Wish, Thunder Wave and Toxic making him a great team player. It also makes him very easy to counter.

Counters
Hypno is pretty frail physically so any strong physical attackers will do a lot of damage. Ghost types like Golurk and Spiritomb get a mention for being immune to Seismic Toss and, in Golurk's case, doesn't care for Thunder Wave. Spiritomb also gets a bonus for being able to trap Hypno with Pursuit. Otherwise a strong physical attack like Fraxure's Outrage or Luxray's Wild Charge will put it to bed. Keep up the offensive pressure and don't give Hypno time to do it's job.

Taunt is another big way of shutting down Hypno since that stops it Wishing, laying down status, baton passing and generally being any useful at all. Couple that with Pursuit and you have a surefire way of beating Hypno. Drapion does all that and outspeeds Hypno as well.
Since Hypno are usually passing on Wish or a Nasty Plot boost, it'll be switching out a lot so entry hazards or damaging status effects like Toxic severely limit hypno's longetivity.

Hypno isn't desperately difficult to counter, thanks to such clear ways to beat it. If you can stop Hypno doing it's thing with Taunt or otherwise cut its time on the field short with hazards or strong physical attacks then you're be able to handle it just fine.

Luthor

hypno is a favorite pokemon of mine but i'll admit it could do with something.Personally for a long time i've wanted it to get the pendulum as a held item sadly that hasn't happened. but as the people before me have put it does have some very interesting moves.I won't waste time repeating the sets that have already been posted.However here are also some interesting and odd moves it gets that are worth consideration though fitting them into movesets is diffcult.Grass knot,magic room,signal beam,assist(i know it's a complete luck move but i find it odd that it learns it at all) and role play.

2406Blackbird

CasualMediocre Gamer
Hypno, a pokemon that is not even worthy of being NU, because it's stats are so mediocre. It has decent special defense, and is able to act like a weaker Blissey/Chansey with the famous Wish/Toxic/Protect/Seismic Toss set, but for the NU tier.

Inner Focus (DW): Prevents flinching, but if you're up against a "Faker Outer," you're screwed anyway. If up against a Paraflicnhing Dunsparce, then it might be worth it.
Forewarn: A good ability for scouting
Insomnia: The one worth using, I guess

Double Trouble
Ability: Your choice
Item: Life Orb
Nature: Adamant or Jolly
EVs: 252 Attack / 252 Speed / 4HP
Meditate
Drain Punch/Zen Headbutt/Psycho Cut
Thunderpunch
Ice Punch

Most sets have been covered like the Blissey set, physical sweeper, special sweeper, and a switcheroo set. But how about a mediocre double's physical sweeper?! (I'm all about mediocre sets). The objective is to get your Dream World ability pokemon, Simple Swoobat with a B/W 2 tutor move, Skill Swap, and Swap abilities with Hypno (also Hypno can just use Skill Swap itself). Hypno, can now boost up with Meditate (sadly its only physical booster) and sweep. Drain Punch is for darks as well as recovering HP lost from life orb. Zen Headbutt is for stab physical psychic move (with a chance of flinching), while Psycho Cut has better accuracy, while sacrificing 10 base power and has higher chances of crits. Thunderpunch and Ice Punch allow for good coverage. Keep in mind that you can skill swap Simple ability onto a Nasty Plot set as well.

Look mommy, I'm a Dunsparce!
Ability: Your Choice
Item: Leftovers/King's Rock
Nature: Adamant
Evs: 144 HP / 252 Attack / 36 Defense / 76 Spec. Defense
Thunder Wave/Body Slam
Headbutt
Zen Headbutt
Filler Move

Hypno the weak Blissey, now Hypno the less lucky Dunsparce. Hypno should be a Ditto because it's so good at mimicking other pokemon! All jokes aside, Hypno is trying its best to activate special side effects of moves, and it is especially harder without Serene Grace. Thunder Wave for paralysis, while Body Slam is a damaging move that has a 30% chance of paralyzing (better to go with the "for sure" paralysis from T-Wave). Headbutt and B/W 2 tutor Zen Headbutt for flinching, but if the move's flinching ability doesn't activate, then the King's Rock might activate instead. The last move is your choice, and there you go. You have yourself a wannabe Para-flinching Dunsparce.

TurboMechaElgyem

Gravity has a lulling effect on people
-gravity
-hypnosis
-foul play/psychic
-protect/recover
252 hp 252 sp def 4 spd
Insomnia/inner focus
Leftovers
Calm

On gravity teams (yes, some people actually use gravity), hypno works as a decent supporter. Hypnosis gets 100% accuracy under gravity. Protect if you use it in doubles. Use whatever offensive move you like.

Luthor

Gravity has a lulling effect on people
-gravity
-hypnosis
-foul play/psychic
-protect/recover
252 hp 252 sp def 4 spd
Insomnia/inner focus
Leftovers
Calm

On gravity teams (yes, some people actually use gravity), hypno works as a decent supporter. Hypnosis gets 100% accuracy under gravity. Protect if you use it in doubles. Use whatever offensive move you like.

are you sure hypno can use recover? i didn't think it could.

Luthor

Nope, checked and Hypno can't though that would be nice:9

thats what i thought,and looking back on that moveset it seemed to indicate hyno could also learn gravity when i believe it can't(correct me if i'm wrong).Shame really those are two moves that could benefit it.

Ilan

I am not sure but is hypno the only pokemon able to learn both disable and trick/switcheroo? seems like an interesting combo.. you trick a choice scarf then make it struggle then toxic/seismic toss it till it dies (or the switch in) anyway it is not that great..

Maybe hypno is one of those pokemons who shouldn't be used competitively..

Never use dream eater sleep clause + shacky hypnosis accuracy + swithing ... yeah.. a bad move

Last edited:

AOverlord

I am not sure but is hypno the only pokemon able to learn both disable and trick/switcheroo? seems like an interesting combo.. you trick a choice scarf then make it struggle then toxic/seismic toss it till it dies (or the switch in) anyway it is not that great..

Maybe hypno is one of those pokemons who shouldn't be used competitively..

Never use dream eater sleep clause + shacky hypnosis accuracy + swithing ... yeah.. a bad move

If you maximize its defenses and teach it a healing move (Drain Punch or Rest) then it is a great set to take out a pokemon that just doesn't wanna die. I rarely go into battle without it.

Ilan

If you maximize its defenses and teach it a healing move (Drain Punch or Rest) then it is a great set to take out a pokemon that just doesn't wanna die. I rarely go into battle without it.

looking at his stats I really don't see why he survives for you that much, there are way bulkier pokemon even in NU.
Rest is not the best recovery drain punch too (base 73 attack? it isn't gonna hit so hard to heal much).

Most psychic types (if not all) have better special bulk and offenses and some of them movepool too even in NU.
sure isomnia is nice but is it worth a team slot just for some pokemons who use sleep moves?

Last edited:

KingTorterraXIV

Wait what?
EDIT: isn't Scraggy banned from LC?

Nah Scraggy ain't banned from LC, PO server used to have it banned, but they dont even have that.

Scraggy is a good counter to Drowzee ;)

Kraleck

Annoying Offense
Stats: Jolly, Max Speed & Attack, rest HP or Defense
Ability: Insomnia (locked in due to Body Slam)
Item: Muscle Band/Leftovers
Moves: Body Slam, Zen Headbutt, Low Sweep, Fire Punch/Ice Punch/Thunderpunch

Strategy: Basically Flinch-hax, but with less guarantee on Paralysis and Flinching. Low Sweep lowers any Paralyzed Opponents' Speed further if they somehow continue to outrun Hypno (or if they have Limber, Guts, or Quick Feet Ability to make Paralysis a welcomed Status Effect). Elemental Punch to cover nasties that wall Normal, Psychic STAB, and Fighting.

sbktdreed

Veteran Trainer
Personal Moveset:
Ability: Insomnia
Item: Leftovers
Lax w/ 204 Defense, 100 Attack, 100 Sp Attack, 106 Sp Defense
Psychic
Shadow Ball
Brick Break/Drain Punch/Low Sweep
Fire Punch/Thunderpunch

Physical-only
Item: Muscle Band
Adamant w/ 252 Attack, 90 Defense, 84 HP, 84 Sp Defense
Zen Headbutt/Psycho Cut
Fire Punch
Brick Break/Drain Punch/Low Sweep
Thunderpunch

Special-only
Item: Wise Specs
Modest w/ 252 Sp Attack, 90 Defense, 84 HP, 84 Sp Defense
Psychic
Shadow Ball
Focus Blast
Signal Beam/HP [Fire]

Other Move ideas:
Skill Swap if the user's ability isn't Insomnia or similar; in order to use sleep-based attacks.
Fling & Iron Ball

Partners:
Shuckle if Guard Swap is used.
Reflect-users
Soak-users against Dark-types.
Magic Guard-users if Role Play or Skill Swap is used

Countering:
High Attack pokemon with Physical Bug/Dark/Ghost-type moves like Attack Order, Megahorn, X-scissor, Shadow Claw/Punch, Crunch, or Night Slash. Pokemon includes Vespiquen, Rapidash, Bouffulant, Pinsir, Kangaskhan, Haxorus, Leavanny, Gallade, Drapion, Gliscor, Tyranitar, Garchomp, Stoutland, Hydregion, Braviary, and Flygon.
Insomnia/Vital Spirit/Heal Bell/Aromatherpy-users
Hail, Sandstorm, Leech Seed, or status moves that does damage each turn in case a pokemon does fall asleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.