• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #83

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ilan

Well thanks for the feedback... LOL! I said that I don't even know if it works or not but maybe it won't be that useless, just gimmicky! Sleep mechanics changed in 5th gen and not many opponents will predict having nightmare on a hypno... So It's not that impossible to inflict the status. Even if the opponent switches, having a sleeping pokemon in one's party is not a good thing!

It might turn out to be a horrible set either, but I just thought of posting something new!

Hypno have 73 sp.attack (KOes nothing..) once Nightmare or Dream Eater show up the opponent will know it and won't let you use it ever again.. and people tend to switch when they are put to sleep so they aren't set up foddders..

Hypnos' best bet is a special wall or nasty plot to be kinda scary (although everything with a base 100 with specs is stronger than than..)
Dream Eater even in theory is horrible in practic it is more horrible. I tend to laugh when people use that or hyper beam variants.

Last edited:
Hypno is easy... but next week... I can't give details but next week will be a nightmare.

I tried a little testing with Hypno, and let me just start by saying that NP Hypno is terrible. Base 73 SpA is really weak sauce, and its speed doesn't do it any favors. Trick Room sorta fixes the speed problem, but it's really not a move to rely on, and Hypno rarely gets the opportunity to use both NP and TR (which it really needs to sweep effectively at all). It also pretty much dies if Skuntank or Absol walks onto the field. I have no clue why you would use this over Mr. Mime, who has much more speed and power, as well as Baton Pass to boot and (IIRC) protect it from Pursuit.

The specially defensive set is actually kinda decent. It soaks up special hits easily with its great special bulk and WishTect, and at least it has Seismic Toss to help its low level of power. The real problem here is finding a reason to use it over another Wish-based special wall. Lickilicky is usually going to be better with its decent power, similar if not better special bulk, good physical bulk to compliment, bigger Wishes, Heal Bell, and Dragon Tail phazing. Flareon also gives it some competition with its arguably better resistances, Heal Bell once again, Roar phazing, and the ability to do decent damage and spread burns with Lava Plume. Neither of these guys are complete Pursuit bait either. The resistances to Psychic and Fighting attacks are nice, but many Psychic types have ways of getting past Hypno (i.e. a boosted Shadow Ball), and the most common Fighting types can muscle past Hypno by targeting its much lower physical bulk.

So honestly, the specially defensive set is the set to use for this guy. It's actually pretty decent, but you always have to ask why you're using this over something else.

ninjanerd

I have no clue why you would use this over Mr. Mime, who has much more speed and power, as well as Baton Pass to boot and (IIRC) protect it from Pursuit.

Hypno gets Baton Pass as well.
But yeah, Hypno's pretty terrible. You could run a support set with Light Clay, and Dual Screens. Wish and Seismic Toss as recovery and attack. This set is outclassed by every other psychic type though...

Oh yeah, he does get it from XD. Thanks for catching that. All the same, though, Mr. Mime does have the huge advantage of being able to BP out before either of the premier NU Pursuit users can hit it due to its higher speed stat. It also makes a better BP abuser with Soundproof preventing Roar phazing, but that's more of a side note.

Is Takeo the one who chooses and creates puns for the POTW or is it Blue Harvests work? After seeing the Armaldo POTW with Takeo being mentioned in the LC section, it popped in my head.

The final decision for POTW stuff is entirely up to me.

But most of the time Saturday at 4 am when I'm drunkenly trying to slap this thing together Takeo is usually the one who collects the puns.

Status
Not open for further replies.