• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #87

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rudruma

This is MagJELLICENT:

Jellicent@choice specs
EVs: 252 Satk 84 spd 172 hp
Nature: Modest
Moveset
~ Water Spout
~ Shadow Ball
~ Surf / Hydro Pump / Scald
~ Ice Beam / Energy Ball

Rotom-F

Team Rater
I'm not creative with names..., but heres the set:

Substitute Jellicent.

Item: Leftovers
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 HP, 212 Def, 44 Spe
Nature: Bold (+Def, -Atk)

Moveset:

- Substitute
- Scald
- Toxic
- Recover

Well, Jellicent is a very good user of substitute, firstly because it has 404 HP with max EVs, so Night Shade wont break it, and also because it can resist a lot of moves, and make opponent switch out, and if other pokémon switch in hitting with a super-effective move, cursed body may stop it, and it will only break the subs, and make opponents switch out a lot of times. Substitute is the main move of the moveset. Scald is the main Stab Move, and can burn opponent, so Jellicent will only take Half of the Physical Damage, beneficing more the substitute. Toxic is for Toxic Stalling slower pokémon, and going back on substitute and having the chance of cursed body stop the attacking move. (from a lot of of walls that only have one attacking move.) Recover is the last move, that recovers 50% of health, which is very good since Substitute removes 25% of health everytime.

Soperman

The One and Only
Not much to say that hasn't already been said. A.k.a Im too lazy to write a full POTW post, because Jellicent is so boring (no offense Jellicent, it's just you're way too common and I use you too much). Anyway, Overview:

Say hello to the gen V's premier wall. One of the most common walls out there thanks to its versatility and typing. Defensively, Water is great typing, and Ghost is even better, having immunity to two, count it, two, types. Not only that, but it has immense Hp and really great Special Defense, along with a very usable Defense stat. Great move-pool all around, with everything from Recover to Will-o-Wisp, from Taunt to Scald. It's great! Not only that, but it goes with my conspiracy that Gamefreak is running out of ideas, being a very similar pokemon to Tentacruel stat-wise and inspiration-wise. Speaking of looks, the only really bad thing about Jellicent is, well, its looks. It is strange looking. The only thing keeping it afloat (pun intended) is that amazing mustache and cute crown it has. In a nutshell, it's a balloon with wings.
But I digress. Besides being amazing stat-wise, typing-wise, and move-pool-wise, it has great abilities with Cursed Body and Water Absorb. One gives you a third immunity, while the other potentially wrecks choiced sweepers.
Jellicent is that pokemon that Gamefreak just loved when they made it. Either that, or they wanted to give competitive battling a present. Jellicent has literally everything it needs to be successful. However, that doesn't mean it's perfect. Toxic is its worst nightmare, and 999 times out of 1000 Ferrothorn will successfully wall it and stall it out. It can really hurt other teams (and take pain from them), but this big fatty can't take its own medicine.

philzone

Ready for trumpets
Having a look at optional moves.
Giga drain is a strong recovery move
Hp fire stops skarmory and ferrothorn.
Pain split is a ok recovery move, but you have recover.

Patri25

>Jelly Fortified Castle<
Jellicent@Leaftovers
Ability:Water Absoerb
Nature:Calm
Ev´s:"252HP/252Sp.Def./4Def.
Moves:
-Scald/Hydro Pump
-Pain Split
-Acid Armor
-Calm Mind

This Jellicent is a Wall.Scald/Hydro Pump is for STAB(Scald also Burns).Acis Armor is for raise de defense.Calm Mind is for boost the Special Attack and Special Defense.Pain Split damage the opponent and I recover HP. Water Absorb is for restore HP when I predict a water move and switch in to Jellicent

Kraleck

Having a look at optional moves.
Giga drain is a strong recovery move
Hp fire stops skarmory and ferrothorn.
Pain split is a ok recovery move, but you have recover.

1. Giga Drain has mostly-redundant coverage with Water STAB. Mostly, you'll be using it on other bulky Water Types and other Pokemon have the offense to do so.
2. Skarmory and Ferrothorn hate being burned by Will-o-Wisp or Scald and are both neutral to Ice Beam. Other Hidden Power Types could be considered because of this.
3. Pain Split is an Offensive-Recovery Move without being an actual offensive Move. Pain Split does rely on your HP being below your opponent's for maximum efficacy, yes, but you'll often be taking damage because Jellicent is a bulky Water and that's its job - damage soaking.

Why waste time restoring your HP with a redundant-coverage-and-somewhat-blockable Giga Drain or by using a Recover and not dishing out passive damage? Pain Split is crippling to a fragile opponent if you are at critical HP levels and you balance it with your opponent's (hopefully full) HP. Then you can potentially revenge-KO them if they cannot keep up their damage output with your bulk. Skarmory, Blissey, Chans-Eviolite, most defensive-style Water Types, and Ferrothorn aren't that bulky with a huge chunk o' health stolen, either. I'm not sure of interaction with Liquid Ooze, but it does make you recover while dishing out damage without relying on Grass Type's mostly-redundant coverage.

Silvershark

HAWLUCHA!!!
I was kind of disappointed at the lack of Doubles and Triple sets in the last few POTW's. Granted, Drapion doesn't really have any Doubles options other than a gimmicky Acupressure set, but I was surprised not to see at least a Fake Out or Tailwind support set for Crobat or something like a Fake Out and Hypnosis set for Gravity teams. Anyways here's a couple of Jellicent sets for that section.

Trick Room Setter

Item: Mental Herb/ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Water Absorb
Nature: Quiet
EV's: 252 Hp, 4 Def., 252 Sp. Atk.
IV's: 0 Speed
Moves:
Trick Room
Protect
Water Spout/ Scald
Shadow Ball/ Ice Beam/ Giga Drain

More often than not if you encounter a Jellicent in Doubles, this is the set you'll see, almost always paired up with a Rage Powder Amoongus. Ghost types are easily the most reliable Trick Room setters in doubles, and Jellicent's no exception. Mental Herb ensures Trick Room comes into play even if they try to Taunt Jellicent into submission while Fake Outing Amoongus. Of course you could drop the Mental Herb and have both pokemon Protect during the first turn to block Fake Out and set up TR safely the next turn, but if you know that the Fake Out+Taunt is coming why not use that turn to absorb the Taunt and blast them with Water Spout, then set up the next turn with Rage powder and TR anyways. Sitrus Berry can also be used to get some health back after setting up TR to power up Water Spout. Protect, as always, is a necessity in Doubles. Scald is the reliable alternative to Water Spout. Shadow Ball is a solid STAB, but it can be substituted with Ice Beam for coverage if the team needs it, or Giga Drain as a form of recovery (though it is a little redundant as Jellicent is commonly played with Amoongus already).

Water Spout Spam

Item: Water Gem/ Choice Specs
Ability: Water Absorb
Nature: Modest / Timid
EV's: 4 Hp, 252 Sp. Atk., 252 Speed
Moves:
Water Spout
Shadow Ball
Ice Beam /Giga Drain
Protect/ Ice Beam/ Giga Drain

Remember how I said the TR setter was the the most common Jellicent set in Doubles? This set takes advantage of that to hit foes hard with Water Spout while they're expecting TR, and do it again and again and again. +1 Water Spout can be devastating to opponents, particularly in the rain and with a speedy Surf abuser keeping Jellicent healthy. Oposing Water Absorb and Storm Drain users can come in and take advantage of this, but most won't like getting hit with Giga Drain, or Ice Beam for those people who try to use Cradily and Maractus. Water Gem increases Water Spout's power for the first turn and allows you to use other moves, while Choice Specs gives a constant boost to all the moves at the cost of being locked in the move. Obviously you'd want to trade out Protect for a coverage move if you go the Specs route.

Ilan

I used once jellicent in a hail double team paired with vaporeon to create a double water absorb surf Spam

something like this
@ leftovers (actually life orb is useable)
252 HP, 252 sp.attack, 4 defense
Modest
Water Absorb
-Surf
-Recover
-Shadow Ball
-Blizzard/ice beam

the aim is to partner with vaporeon and sapam surf maybe rain would be better but I just was playing around

wobbanut

Team Awesome
I know from training a jellicent myself that it would be a great partner to a rock or steel type (as long as you don't use surf), as its immunity to fighting moves and access to psychic would take down fighting types.

jireh the provider

Video Game Designer
Really, What makes you guys think of Jellicent as Pringles and admire that MUSTACHE!?

Anyways, Simple poisoning can fairly work like only 1 layer of toxic spikes since it HATES POISONING or poisoning from Sludge bomb. Roserade is fairly nice to use for th immunity of toxic and ignores the Will o Wisp.

I know, this ones gimmicky but try Gurdurr with guts and eviolite. It works nice in a pedigree

Ilan

Really, What makes you guys think of Jellicent as Pringles and admire that MUSTACHE!?

Anyways, Simple poisoning can fairly work like only 1 layer of toxic spikes since it HATES POISONING or poisoning from Sludge bomb. Roserade is fairly nice to use for th immunity of toxic and ignores the Will o Wisp.

I know, this ones gimmicky but try Gurdurr with guts and eviolite. It works nice in a pedigree

Mustachios are the best.

Nah, jellicent doesn't turn useless with normal poisoning toxic poison is much more, with normal poison and burn jellicent can still wall things with toxic it will struggle to stay more than a few turns.

And why not conkeldurr? it is OU after all..
Most conkeldurrs are walled now cause they use ice punch>Payback

philzone

Ready for trumpets
I used once jellicent in a hail double team paired with vaporeon to create a double water absorb surf Spam

something like this
@ leftovers (actually life orb is useable)
252 HP, 252 sp.attack, 4 defense
Modest
Water Absorb
-Surf
-Recover
-Shadow Ball
-Blizzard/ice beam

the aim is to partner with vaporeon and sapam surf maybe rain would be better but I just was playing around

Wait! This could work with gastrodon, as storm drain can make it hit harder with its moves, and gastrodon can surf to help jellicent

Rayofquazar

Jellicent is simply one of the best special wall available in the game. With the Great Water/Ghost typing, even greater movepool, and one of the greatest abilities a bulky water could ask for, jellicent is here to frustrate opponents unable to get rid of it! It also has great support options as well as disruptive options such as trick. THIS GUY'S MOVEPOOL IS AMAZING!! The only thing keeping jellicent from excelling is the lack of an offensive presence and it's speed is not great but it has access to trick room. Have I already said that it has a great movepool? Anyway, Jellicent only have 4 weaknesses to Grass, electric, ghost and dark. The first three are mainly special and jellicent is able to take a decently strong super effective special hit! Dark is notably dangerous for the popularity of moves such as crunch and night slash's hax.

This fish's jelli-Scent will make you sick!
Jellicent@leftovers
Ability: Water absorb
Nature: +SpDEF/-ATT
EVs: 252SpDEF/252HP/4SpATT
Moveset:
-Toxic/Will-O-wisp
-Hex/shadow ball
-Recover
-Substitute/Protect

Easy set for a special wall. Toxic or will-O-wisp will be your way to statusing opponent for increasing the damage output as well as crippling opponent. While toxic has better accuracy, will-O-wisp can mean the end of a physical sweeper (Like tyranitar) your main counter. Hex can deal massive damage for a statused opponent while shadow ball is a great reliable attack if you got taunted cz hex's power is somewhat weak if the opponent is not staused! Recover is so great, healing you whenever you want and whatever the conditions are. In the last slot is your way to stay healthy as well as a way of scouting and avoiding attack. Substitute is reliable at the cost of 25% HP while protect is free but rather unreliable for multiple uses.

Chidori__O

Wait! This could work with gastrodon, as storm drain can make it hit harder with its moves, and gastrodon can surf to help jellicent

So what your saying is that Gastrodon is a partner? *Snaps fingers*

Ilan

Okay. Wouldn't any pokemon with the ability Storm Drain be a partner (Cradily, Gastrodon, Lumineon and Maractus)?

Any Pokemon with water immunity can be a good partner in doubles for surf, But Lumineon and maractus sucks credily doesn't make the core well then gastordon/vaporeon Since they have good defenses and sp.attack.

Last edited:

Kraleck

Any Pokemon with water immunity can be a good partner in doubles for surf, But Lumineon and maractus sucks credily doesn't make the core well then gastordon/vaporeon Since they have good defenses and sp.attack.

Cradily is built to wall and has a Base Sp.Atk 4 points lower than Jellicent. With Storm Drain buffs and Trick Room active, it can bust some heads alongside Jellicent with Earth Power, Ancientpower, and Giga Drain while being a pain to take out from its endurance as well. Doubles may not be friendly to the Jellicent + Cradily combo, but Triples just might be...

Star Champion AJ

It's Pun Time! A few pun examples for Jellicent:

"I'll take a Pringles potato chip and EAT IT!"
"I'm the Big Jellicent, baron of all special walling matter, king of potato chips the world over!" (King Bob-omb reference, Jellicent version)
Pringles: Butter and Jelly
Pringles: 50 Cent Jelly
The Princess is jealous for not being a jellyfish. (Female only)

Chidori__O

It's Pun Time! A few pun examples for Jellicent:

"I'll take a Pringles potato chip and EAT IT!" I lol'd at that but I don't think people will get the reference. Also, why Pringles?
"I'm the Big Jellicent, baron of all special walling matter, king of potato chips the world over!" (King Bob-omb reference, Jellicent version) Mario 64, right?
Pringles: Butter and Jelly Don't get/understand.
Pringles: 50 Cent Jelly Don't get/understand.
The Princess is jealous for not being a jellyfish. (Female only) How do you come up with these?

Response in bold.

Status
Not open for further replies.