• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #88

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ilan

Lacking Leftovers makes Ivysaur a worse Venusaur. Also it doesn't really take hits any better, at least not enough to validate losing Leftovers.

It has worse Special Attack and Speed too.

Edit: Only two pages? No one loves Venusaur :(

Well although being the first fully evolved pokemon in the pokedex it have very few viable sets so not much to say

We;; it have 2 moves that show on most sets sleep powder and growth..

I don't know if it was posted but.. something out of the box

@choice specs
252 sp.attack, 252 speed, 4 defense
Modest
Chlorophyll
-Sludge Bomb
-Giga Drain
-Solar Beam
-HP fire

Sadly chlorophyll Venusar doesn't have access to leaf Storm but if ever recived leaf storm will be beter than solar beam it is a sun specs user, the good part over the growth variant is lack of set up move so it can just strike a strong STAB with lots of power since it have not so great special or physical coverage and earthquake isn't a good option..
so Sludge Bomb is a STAB it can hit everything grass can't hit effectively except steel and poison. there HP fire comes (heatran heatran heatran.. ok we have heatran put a counter to him, ok?) Solar beam is good when the sun rises and other weather starters had fainted Giga Drain is a reliable Stab to beat some other weathers.

The good thing about Grass and fire coverage is that it hit all other weather inducers so politoed will likely not switch.

Star Champion AJ

Actually Charizard is NU

@Ilan Yeah it hurts, maybe Chlorophyll was given to get payback on the Bulbasaur haters.

You can't have a 4x Stealth Rock weakness without being punished, though certain Pokémon are really good even with that problemo.

Now, some bad puns for Venusaur
Chlorophyll payback time!
Bulbasaur, Charmander or Squirtle? I choose Chlorophyll!
Chlorophyll, the reason Charizard and Blastoise are too mainstream!

MetalCrow

Lacking Leftovers makes Ivysaur a worse Venusaur. Also it doesn't really take hits any better, at least not enough to validate losing Leftovers.

It has worse Special Attack and Speed too.

Edit: Only two pages? No one loves Venusaur :(

I find that hard to believe...with eviolite, ivysaur's nature-neutral defensive stats jump up to 324 HP/~327 Defense/~387 Sp. Def.
In addition to that, ivysaur has access to 3 forms of recovery: Giga Drain, Synthesis, and Leech Seed. Ivysaur's speed stat may cap at 219 or 240 based on nature, but it also can abuse chlorophyll, thus doubling its speed into, at least, 438...sure ivysaur doesn't get leftovers, and it's even more weather dependant than venusaur (if that's even possible), but i see merits to using it

I find that hard to believe...with eviolite, ivysaur's nature-neutral defensive stats jump up to 324 HP/~327 Defense/~387 Sp. Def.
In addition to that, ivysaur has access to 3 forms of recovery: Giga Drain, Synthesis, and Leech Seed. Ivysaur's speed stat may cap at 219 or 240 based on nature, but it also can abuse chlorophyll, thus doubling its speed into, at least, 438...sure ivysaur doesn't get leftovers, and it's even more weather dependant than venusaur (if that's even possible), but i see merits to using it

Ivysaur takes hit about 25% better than Venusaur but at the cost of 6.25% of your HP every turn. Leftovers means that over a full game Venusaur will probably survive more hits. It also is ENORMOUSLY helpful in Subseeding.

Oh, and besides defenses Venusaur is better at everything else.

Vandslaux

I've been having fun with mixed lately.

Venusaur @ Life Orb
Naive
Chlorophyll
4 Atk/252 SpA/252 Speed
Growth
Giga Drain
Sludge Bomb
Earthquake

It's fun to troll Heatran switchins as you Growth to OHKO them with EQ. Pack Mamo with this. And possibly something to eliminate Ferro.

But she is right. You could excuse Leftovers for the bulk of the Eviolite, since it does give Ivysaur more immediate bulk. Unfortunately, there's still the fact that if you're running a defensive set (which is the only reason conceivable to use Ivysaur in the first place), you have to run significant speed investment just to outpace the unboosted metagame. In fact, if Ivysaur and Venusaur were to both be EV'd to outspeed base 130s in the Sun with the rest in HP and SpD, Venusaur would have about 87% of Ivysaur's bulk, about 93% factoring in the added "bulk" from Leftovers, and all with a greater resistance to passive damage and the ability to take advantage of SubSeed far more effectively. Not only that, but Venusaur can at least be somewhat of an offensive presence even without much investment. Ivysaur's uninvested base 80 SpA and 62 Atk stats aren't going to be doing much of that.

When you look at it, SubSeed is honestly the only defensive set that either should be running, and the fact is that you don't need a lot of bulk to SubSeed. The whole point of the strategy is to avoid the opponent's attacks through Sub and Protect while constantly healing yourself with Leech Seed and Leftovers. Even Whimsicott, frail as it is, is notorious as a SubSeeder. So the added bulk of Ivysaur wouldn't really come in handy in those situations.

Takeo

Even if you run Max Hp and Max Sp Def Ivysaur will get 60 / 103 / 145 Defenses. Venusaur is better overall defensively because of Leftovers but if you want to use Ivysaur he could make a decent switch in to bulky Water types.. maybe. Its still going to be slower than most things. Either go fully defensive or if you want Speed use Venusaur. No speed Chlorophyll Ivysaur will outrun Jolly Lucario, most Zapdos / Jirachi and Adamant Salamence. It hits 312 speed so here you can see what it will outrun.

How do I know this?, because before I became the luckiest player on Serebii I was a noob that asked BH about whether or not I should use a Evolite set.
It's like Turtwig, both were the most underappreciated starter of their respective generation yet there are those who were smart to pick it.

Except Turtwig was complete crap, it and its evolutions weren't even cute or a badass.

KingTorterraXIV

Wait what?
Except Turtwig was complete crap, it and its evolutions weren't even cute or a badass.

Takeo I will destroy you D:<

MetalCrow

Even if you run Max Hp and Max Sp Def Ivysaur will get 60 / 103 / 145 Defenses. Venusaur is better overall defensively because of Leftovers but if you want to use Ivysaur he could make a decent switch in to bulky Water types.. maybe. Its still going to be slower than most things. Either go fully defensive or if you want Speed use Venusaur. No speed Chlorophyll Ivysaur will outrun Jolly Lucario, most Zapdos / Jirachi and Adamant Salamence. It hits 312 speed so here you can see what it will outrun.

How do I know this?, because before I became the luckiest player on Serebii I was a noob that asked BH about whether or not I should use a Evolite set.

Well, idk if i should take this in the humor it seems to be intended, or you're calling me a noob...so, imma refuse the latter with a poor excuse about how long it's been since i've played competetively...scratch that, how long its been since i've touched anything pokemon related, other than the potw....plus, i'm not all that fond of grass types, so i don't exactly have perfect knowledge on it all...now, if you'll excuse me, i'll go sit in the corner and count the bumps on the wall

KingTorterraXIV

Wait what?
Well, idk if i should take this in the humor it seems to be intended, or you're calling me a noob...so, imma refuse the latter with a poor excuse about how long it's been since i've played competetively...scratch that, how long its been since i've touched anything pokemon related, other than the potw....plus, i'm not all that fond of grass types, so i don't exactly have perfect knowledge on it all...now, if you'll excuse me, i'll go sit in the corner and count the bumps on the wall

6ruv.jpg

Ilan

Well if ivisaur have that much bulk why not use it in NU? it could work better there with that bulk and 80 SP.A isn't that horrible there.. I would still use vileplume though..

KingTorterraXIV

Wait what?
Status
Not open for further replies.