• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #9

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkDitto

Subsitpig Natures: Relaxed w/ Curse. Impish w/ Bulk Up.

wdcj Eclipse

It's like a pattern if you noticed.

3rd Gen - Blaziken
Your medium speed/decent attacking stats Fire/Fighting starter.

4th Gen - Infernape
Your speedy but not as offensively great Fire/Fighting starter.

5th Gen - Emboar
Your terribly slow but offensive beast Fire/Fighting starter.

Blaziken: 120 Att/110 SAtt/80 Spd
Infernape: 104 Att/104 SAtt/108 Spd
Emboar: 123 Att/100 SAtt/65 Spd

Rockleon

Veteren
Dugtrio doesnt have to much power on it, vs Scald emboar seems fine since emboar more often than not,wont be Ohko'd especially from dugtrios mediocre 80 attack 35 hp 75 sp defense. In fact if dugtrio wasnt out in the first place, he will probably get murdered on the switch in.

CloudVII

Push It To The Limit
The point he's trying to make is that CB Wild Bolt Emboar will be fresh meat for Dugtrio, since he'll be stuck in an electric move and won't be able to switch because of Arena Trap.

Rockleon

Veteren
Maybe its just me, But I never saw the point of having a choiced pokemon with a flexible moveset. I think bulk up would be better than choice band,

GarSlizer

Earthshaker
Well I should say that this dude can break the Ferrothorn/Jellicent defensive cores since he can pound them with Reckless and possibly LO-boosted Flare bLitzes and Wild Charges, respectively. And did I mention that he is immune to Jellicent's WoW?

Magiclapras

Dragon Goddess Flyder
^Agreed. Choice items are too risky.

So it's the generic overweight pigs turn. I'll put my 2 cents worth in, although I hate the jerk.

Physipig
Muscle Band
Blaze
Adamant/Jolly
252 Atk/252 Speed/4 HP

Earthquake
Bulk Up
Flare Blitz(It's crap anyway, who cares if it's damaged?)
Body Slam/Brick Break

Bulk Up for extra power and defence, Flare Blitz for STAB, Body Slam has a chance to paralyze, Brick Break for STAB again, Earthquake for raw power. HP Grass is also an option.

PhilosophicalPsychologica

Emboar, the Troll Pokemon: Emboar is part of a conspiracy by Game Freak by giving more and more Fire Pokemon access to more viable Fighting moves, making the Fire Starter based off a ridiculous animal the only one per Generation to get STAB off it (they removed Focus Punch's and Drain Punch's TM statuses on PURPOSE!).

At this point I am assuming we are doing Daidenki next week, so I'll prep for that one in advance.
Emboar, huh? This one is gonna be a tough one. Let's see what I can do:

Generally speaking, the main thing you have to look for to differentiate Emboar from the past two Fire Starters (and other Fire types in general) is that Emboar actually qualifies as a bulky Fighting type. In other words, a tank: take hits, and hit em hard.

Defensive @ Leftovers
252 HP, 220 SpDef, 36 Def
Sassy (+SpDef, -Spd)
Blaze
Ankle Sweep
Flamethrower/Heat Stamp
Scald/Will-O-Wisp/Toxic
Taunt/Roar/Swagger

Here is Emboar's niche. Ankle Sweep is not Emboar's most-powerful-yet-conservative Fight STAB (Brick Break is), but for purposes in its support moves, it's a strong consideration. Rock Smash is also a consideration for constantly wittling away at the opponent's Def stat. Heat Stamp works off Emboar's stronger offensive stat and is more likely to cause more damage, although Flamethrower is more reliable, hits the likes of Skarmory or Forretress harder, has more PP, and has that 10% Burn.
The second half of the movesets are Emboar's actual support options. Emboar is extremely unique in its access to Scald (can't even get Lava Plume). Other than neting 30% Burns, it gives Emboar the ability to significantly damage opposing Fire types and, also importantly, can give Ground types qualms upon switching in (80 power isn't bad either). If that is not to your liking, Will-O-Wisp can be used like a "normal Fire type," and it is 45% more likely than Scald to Burn something. Finally, Toxic is the most accurate and damaging option, but more often than not it will not be to Emboar's preference.
Our fourth and final slot is reserved for auxiliary status. I won't deny that Emboar is slow, but Taunt is still incredibly for catching things such as Crocune or Vulgarmoth on the switch. Besides, Emboar is fast enough to outspeed the likes of Blissey, Cogfriggas, Reuniculus, and Jellicent (36 Speed EVs necessary with -Speed Nature to tie with min Speed Jelli), and that in itself is also a very admirable quality. If you're not too big on Taunt, you can force a switch the regular way with Roar. A unique and daring option is Swagger. Usually, not even Confuse Ray is unreliable, and Swagger even doubles your opponent's Atk stat as well as having imperfect Accuracy. On the other hand, Emboar is bulky enough to resist the Atk boost, and the residual damage can add on very strongly.

RestTalk @ Leftovers
252 HP, 252 SpDef, 4 Def
Careful (+SpDef, -SpAtk)
Reckless
Rest
Sleep Talk
Bulk Up
Flare Blitz

Original set by casual member "Suicune95," edited by me. Main concern is an easy switch-in for EQ users, but remember that Flare Blitz is ungodly powerful, as well as a 10% Burn. Theoretically, Hammer Arm can be used, though it is not nearly as powerful nor as accurate, plus it is more easily walled by Ghosts and Flyings, and there are better options if you want to use RestTalk + Fight STAB.

Firestarter (Defensive) @ Balloon
252 HP, 252 Speed, 4 Atk
Timid (+Spd, -SpAtk)
Blaze
Fire Oath
Protect
Focus Blast/Flamethrower/Scald
Focus Blast/Flamethrower/Scald

I'm not too sure about the mechanics behind this, but I believe if your Fire Realmer outspeeds your Water Realmer (in this case the likely choice would be Swampert or Empoleon), all your hax is instantly doubled. If your Grass Realmer outspeeds your Fire Realmer, you're getting a burning field going on your opponent's side. Emboar itself can definitely benefit from both, either offensively or defensively. Realistically speaking, the final two moves can be almost anything.

Firestarter (offensive) @ Balloon
252 Atk, 252 Spd, 4 SpAtk
Jolly (+Spd, -SpAtk)
Reckless
Fire Oath
Superpower/Earthquake
Rock Slide/Head Smash
Flare Blitz/Fire Blast/Overheat

Sweeper @ Life Orb/Expert Belt
252 Atk, 252 Spd, 4 HP
Jolly (+Spd, -SpAtk)
Reckless
Flame Charge/Bulk Up
Flare Blitz
Head Smash
Wild Charge/Brick Break/Ankle Sweep

Rampardos knock off. Insane, insane power. Life Orb is the most powerful Item choice, but can be overkill for Emboar between all the recoil, especially considering with all this type coverage, Expert Belt claims a lot of lives.

Choiced @ Choice Band/Choice Scarf
252 Atk, 252 Spd, 4 HP
Adamant (+Atk, -SpAtk)
Reckless
Flare Blitz
Wild Charge
Head Smash
Superpower

First there was Blaziken, who hit hard. Next came Infernape, who was fast and held many tricks up its sleeve. Then there was Speed Boost Blaziken, who stalls for as long as it can while smashing your face in whenever possible. Now...we have the Reckless Pig.
This set isn't as versatile as the previous set, but it either hits like a Slaking or outspeeds stuff and blows them up. Emboar really misses the Choice restriction, but it doesn't mind as long as everything it touches turns to dust. Besides, it likes using Superpower as auxiliary STAB.

Other Options
Just like every other Starter, Emboar can try for a Sub set and Flame Charge to get down to Blaze range...but...meh.

Work Up is perfectly acceptable for a mixed set, although honestly speaking Emboar doesn't have move versatility.

Speaking of which, it is theoretically possible to run a Specs set or mixed set, though Emboar will often find little utility for its Specials. It can make up a fully Special set, or make mix sets dominative to either side.

Emboar is cute by the fact it gets Curse, Gyro Ball, and Hammer Arm, but Gyro Ball doesn't really fit well with its other moves. Besides, Emboar is not THAT slow.

Yawn is just another status move.

Counters
Meh. I suppose if Ferrothorn got hit by a Flare Blitz, it's definitely not surviving, but Emboar won't be either.

Possible Partnerships:
Scizor, aside from having good type synergy, can help scout and weaken the opposing team with U-turn before Emboar muscles its way through. Scizor then can help clean up afterwards. Alternatively, Scizor can Baton Pass Agility and/or Swords Dance to Emboar for game right there.
Dragons also have a good type synergy. Although there is no such thing as a Baton Passing Dragon, many of them do have set-up moves. Given Emboar's defensive nature, it isn't hard to eventually transistion into a state where the Dragon can be dropped like a bomb.

Rhys29

Encore
Dugtrio doesnt have to much power on it, vs Scald emboar seems fine since emboar more often than not,wont be Ohko'd especially from dugtrios mediocre 80 attack 35 hp 75 sp defense. In fact if dugtrio wasnt out in the first place, he will probably get murdered on the switch in.
Jolly +1 Dugtrio's Earthquake vs. 252 HP Emboar: 118.87% - 140.09%

Dugtrio is a revenge killer and will not be switching into an attack unless it is locked into an Electric-type attack. Dugtrio is faster than Emboar and thus will not fear Scald, which can't garauntee a OHKO without a Sp.A boosting nature or an item (defensive stats are 35/50/70). Flare Blitz is far more dangerous to Dugtrio.​

SazandoraMASTER

♥ PSG ♥
I've got some sets for Emboar:

Physical Reckless Sweeper: @Muscle Band/Choice Band
Nature: Adamant/Jolly
Ability Reckless
-Flare Blitz
-Wild Charge
-Head Smash
-Brick Break/Hammer Arm
A Reckless set is always being used or suggested...I'm suggesting that again. Flare Blitz for STAB. Wild Charge and Head Smash for coverage. Brick Break and Hammer Arm for Fighting STAB.

Special Sweeper: @Wise Glasses/Choice Specs
Nature: Modest/Timid
Ability: Blaze
-Flamethrower
-Scald
-Grass Knot
-Focus Blast
Flamethrower for STAB. Scald for coverage. Grass Knot handles Waters. Focus Blast for Fighting STAB.

This pig is cursing me and yawning at the same time!: @Leftovers/Muscle Band
Nature: Brave/Relaxed/Sassy
Ability: Blaze/Reckless
-Yawn
-Curse
-Flare Blitz/Heat Stamp
-Hammer Arm/Earthquake/Stone Edge/Grass Knot/Scald/Wild Bolt
Yawn to get away for a few Curses. Flare Blitz and Heat Stamp for STAB. Hammer Arm for Fighting STAB. The other options for coverage.

Physical Rest-Talker: @Leftovers
Nature: Adamant/Impish/Jolly/Careful
-Rest
-Sleep Talk
-Flare Blitz/Heat Stamp
-Brick Break/Earthquake/Stone Edge/Stone Edge
You know how Rest-Talk works. Flare Blitz and Heat Stamp for STAB. Brick Break for Fighting STAB. Earthquake, Stone Edge and Wild Bolt for coverage.

Special Rest-Talker: @Leftovers
Nature: Modest/Bold/Timid/Calm
Ability: Blaze
-Rest
-Sleep Talk
-Flamethrower/Fire Blast
-Scald/Grass Knot/Focus Blast
Same idea as the last set but will Special based attacks. Flamethrower and Fire Blast for STAB. Scald and Grass Knot for coverage. Focus Blast for Fighting STAB.

Gimmick Set: @Muscle Band/Leftovers
Nature: Adamant/Impish/Jolly/Careful
-Defense Curl
-Rollout
-Level Ground
-Flare Blitz/Brick Break
Ehehe retarded set FTW? You really don't see Defense Curl plus Rollout combos that much anymore right? Level Ground for coverage and slows down the foe. Flare Blitz and Brick Break for STAB.

Last edited:

:wub:disc

more like :mam:anbou
i am gonna indent my text because i am JUST THAT IMPORTANT

thank you for your incredibly detailed post telling us how emboar OHKOs pokemon weak to its STAB moves.

a defensive pokemon that kills itself through recoil will not stay alive even with wish support

thing is i can switch blaziken in on scizor just fine and get the same result as emboar, except even better as i am now in a position to sweep things instead of maybe burning gliscor which hasn't had toxic orb activated and then dying

"psychic is not used" except for y'know reuniclus who was put up for an uber vote on smogon, i think it is used a BIT

will-o-wisp is a good idea.

Rockleon

Veteren
Jolly +1 Dugtrio's Earthquake vs. 252 HP Emboar: 118.87% - 140.09%

Dugtrio is a revenge killer and will not be switching into an attack unless it is locked into an Electric-type attack. Dugtrio is faster than Emboar and thus will not fear Scald, which can't garauntee a OHKO without a Sp.A boosting nature or an item (defensive stats are 35/50/70). Flare Blitz is far more dangerous to Dugtrio.​

Ok, So that pretty much means Dugtrio is pretty situational. Any choiced pokemon using an electric move is doomed not just emboar anything minus Zapdos,anything that floats or has magnet rise.
and thats pretty cheap, he can just throw out some stealth rocks while he's at it.

Epicpip

My stache' is better
Emboar isn't good for much but busting through walls like Ferrothorn. In fact, pretty much the only reason you'd use him is to break through Ferro.

garchompkid

counters

any fast ground pokemon
eg. garchomp or erm... can't think of any others!

Work up mix
Mild
Life orb
126atk/126spatk/252hp
-work up
-scald
-flare blitz
-head smash/superpower/hidden power (ice)/grass knot
Blaze/Reckless

Work up increases atk and spatk which improves his mix attacking capabilities And the rest is mostly down to preference wheather you want to have more physical attacks or more special attacks. The reason I have not properly explained each move is because they have been covered already by other people.

Speak_Of_The_Devil

Renegade Trainer
Yerrr...Emboar's gonna be compared to the the other fire starters...Emboar doesn't quite match up to it's fellow starters..Charizard has the Belly Drum Niche,Blaziken has Swords Dance,Typhlosion has Eruption...and Infernape is Infernape..Does the pig have anything that can match the others?,Apart from the Reckless Ability =/

Status
Not open for further replies.