• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #9

Status
Not open for further replies.

pikamanepicfail45

<dont dis da awsmnes
500.gif

Emboar@Life Orb/Leftovers/Choice Band
Adamant Nature
Reckless
252hp/252atk/4spd
moves-
Wild Charge
Hammer Arm/Gyro Ball/Flame Charge/Level Ground
Head Smash
Flare Blitz

Reckless powers up three of its moves, one of which kills Waters, and one kills Flying Types. Flare Blitz and Hammer Arm for STAB, or Gyro Ball to use its low speed. You can use Flame Charge or Level Ground to get even with the opponent. Works well, because my friend uses it against me and kills 2-3 Pokemon that can't hit it with a super-effective STAB attack.

Meh, the second starter in row. Boring. This is all I'm going to do.

Last edited:

daveshan

My little friend
Alright, I think we need to add some disclaimer to these PoTW threads where you have to at least TRY to make sure your moveset isn't posted already.

Also:
Charging Babe
Nature: Adamant/Jolly
Ability: Reckless
Item: Life Orb/Expert Belt
EVs: 252 atk/252 speed/4def

Nitro Charge
Flare Blitz
Wild Charge
Head Smash
Minor point: It's flame charge now. Not nitro charge. Just FYI.

Major point: A fighting or ground move should be somewhere on a flame charge set to keep heatran guessing. Even if it was a scarfed heatran, it wouldn't mind the free switch.

Last edited:

torterra275

Runescapian
Fair Game

Adamant

Muscle Band/ Leftovers/ Chesto Berry

Reckless

Flare Blitz
Head Smash
Subsituite/Roar/Trick Room
Subsituite/Roar/Trick Room

252 HP/ 252 Attack/ 4 Defense/ Sp Defense

The point of the set is to gain extra strong attacks with recoil moves by using Reckless combined with Head Smash and Flare Bilitz, then use Rest/Subsitiute to mantain health while dealing massive damage, Trick Room can also be used to give yourself an edge by attacking first do to the low speed.

The Chesto Berry might not hold it's worth, use Muscle Band for powerful attacks, use Leftovers for survivability

CabbyFish

It's B and it's W...
I think I'm going to take a shot at it this week.

How can you be so Reckless?!

Nature: Adamant
Ev's: 252 AT/252 SP/6 HP
Item: Choice Band/Life Orb

Flare Blitz
Wild Charge
Head Smash
Superpower/Hammer Arm

this set seems pretty simple really. Reckless boosted attacks do heavy damage and provide decent coverage. The fighting move is added to decimate normals.

Am I really that special?

Ability: Blaze
Nature: Mild
Ev's: 252 SPA/252 SP/6 AT
Item: Choice Specs/Life Orb

Overheat/Fire Blast
Grass Knot
Scald
Superpower/Hammer Arm

With 100 base special attack, a special set is possible with Emboar. the Fire move is obvious. Grass Knot is useful for hitting heavy rock and ground types. Scald may put a burn on the opponent, and allows it to hit some of its fire brethren. The fighting move is physical so it can take down bulky special walls like Blissey.

Work hard, finish strong

Nature: Adamant
Ev's: 252 AT/252 SP/6 HP
Item: Life Orb

Bulk Up
Flare Blitz
Wild Charge
Head Smash

A very simple set. Bulk Up, then sweep with Reckless boosted attacks.

I'm a special worker

Nature: Modest
Ev's: 252 SPA/252 SP/6 HP

Work Up
Flamethrower/Fire Blast
Grass Knot
Scald

Works in a similar way to the physical set. Just Work Up and sweep.

Pokeman Man

The Real Slim Shady
Suicide Emboar

Suicide Emboar

- Flare Blitz
- Superpower
- Head Smash
- Wild Charge
Item Attached: Life Orb/Choice Band
EVs and Nature:
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SpA)

Basically a suicide set due to recoil. Flare Blitz and Superpower are it's main STAB moves, one getting Reckless boost, and the other getting an undesirable Attack and Defense drop. Head Smash is another nice choice for dealing with mainly Flying types only, since Fire and Fighting cover most types anyway. Also gets a scary Reckless boost. Wild Charge is for water types and Gyarados which isn't affected much by Flare Blitz/Superpower.

Other Options:
Ankle Sweep, Earthquake, Body Slam, Curse, Yawn, Roar

Ankle Sweep can lower the opponent's speed since Emboar's biggest flaw is his speed. A couple Ankle Sweeps and you could cause some switches/finish it.

Earthquake can deal with Rocks, Steels, Electrics, Poisons, and Fires. Since Fire/Fighting already covers Rock/Steel and gets neutral hits on the others. It's worth a mention, but it's STABs would do a lot anyway.

Body Slam can paralyze the opponent which could let you move faster than your foe.

Curse can raise your Attack and Defense, and won't matter about Speed since it's speed is already that low. But since Emboar can't take a hit anyway, it won't have much use.

Yawn and Roar go for some pseudo-hazing options. Yawn is obvious, they either switch or fall asleep. Roar just switches it out right away.

It's like a pattern if you noticed.

3rd Gen - Blaziken
Your medium speed/decent attacking stats Fire/Fighting starter.

4th Gen - Infernape
Your speedy but not as offensively great Fire/Fighting starter.

5th Gen - Emboar
Your terribly slow but offensive beast Fire/Fighting starter.

Meowmeow

selfproclaimed guru
Upping the Boar-dom

-Work Up/Bulk Up
-Flamethrower/Fire Blast/Flare Blitz
-Superpower/Focus Blast/Brick Break
-Scald/Wild Charge/Stone Edge/Grass Knot

EVs: 252HP, 126 ATK and sp. atk/252 ATK, 4 speed
Nature: Rash or Mild

Scarf-Boar

Ability: Either
Item: Choice Scarf
-Overheat
-Superpower
-Scald/Grass Knot/Flamethrower/Flare Blitz/Head Smash/Wild Charge
-Scald/Grass Knot/Flamethrower/Flare Blitz/Head Smash/Wild Charge

EVs: 252 HP and Speed, 4 SP Attack
Nature: Hasty or Naive

Choice Band

Ability: Either
Item: self-explanatory
-Flare Blitz
-Superpower
-Wild Charge/Assurance
-Head Smash/Stone Edge/Assurance

EVs: 252 HP and Attack, 4 Speed
Nature: Adamant or Jolly

Choice Scarf

Item: again, self-explanatory
-Flamethrower/Fire Blast/Overheat
-Focus Blast
-Scald
-Grass Knot

EVs: 252 HP and Special Attack, 4 Speed
Nature: Modest (NOT TIMID. EMBOAR NEEDS MORE SP ATTACK)

These sets shouldn't be difficult to figure out how they work.

TheNewGuy

Major point: A fighting or ground move should be somewhere on a flame charge set to keep heatran guessing. Even if it was a scarfed heatran, it wouldn't mind the free switch.

Truesay. I guess Hammer Arm can go in over Head Smash. You need Wild Charge.

And yeah, I forgot about the name change. But Nitro Charge is such a better name! I can't believe they changed it.

Epicpip

My stache' is better
I don't think it has Reckless yet, does it? The only thing this pig (who I wished was going to be fire/ground or something new) will see is a suicide bomber with Flare Blitz and Wild Charge.

LokiTheGengar

Sith Lord Victorious
This Fella's rather simple:

"Fat Man"
252 Attack/252 HP/4 Defense
Life Orb

-Flare Blitz
-Wild Charge
-Head Smash
-Brick Break/Superpower

Suicide bomber? More like suicide NUKER! Flare blitz is epic STAB that will obliterate anything in its way, then obliterate Emboar. Wild Charge and Head Smash do the same sans STAB. Brick Break/Superpower are for anything else, plus they get STAB as well.

daveshan

My little friend
Truesay. I guess Hammer Arm can go in over Head Smash. You need Wild Charge.

And yeah, I forgot about the name change. But Nitro Charge is such a better name! I can't believe they changed it.

Completely agree about the name. As for wild charge, I think that depends on your team. Emboar isn't supposed to be going up against water types and while you could catch them on the switch, you're better off letting a different pokemon deal with them.

GirlKirbyZombie

Pokemon Rancher
It's time for another GKZ double/triple tactic!

The God of Pancakes:
Nature: Brave/Sassy
Item: Leftovers/life orb
Moves:
Protect
Curse/Bulk up/yawn
Heatstamp
Rock Slide/Hammer Arm/ Rock Smash

This strategy will allow you to use a normal Blaze one. Team it up with a Heavy Metal Bronzong that knows trick room and skill swap. Have bronzong skill swap with Emboar while he protects. This will make the piggy heavier. While Bronzong sets up the trick room, have the piggy curse up or yawn at an opponent. After you mix up these two main ingredients, sweep away with heat stamp and make some pancakes! Hot and spicy pancakes!

If you are doing this for triples, have some other pokemon do the trick rooming.

But yow must beware of low kickers and/or submerge grass knotters.

uniVerso

Seducer
Alright, so this POTW made me get an account. Awesome.

So, does anybody here feel like we need a LITTLE bit more creativity when it comes to these sets? Geez, all there is is Reckless as far as the eye can see. It's brutal, yeah, it'll decimate your opponents, yeah. Will it decimate you? DUH! How about we give Emboar a little bit more survivability? Some more trickery too.

As I read a bit earlier on, a Jolly Emboar with Flame Charge will outrun a normal Jolly Infernape. How does that NOT stand out?

Ability: Blaze/Reckless (I guess you can run it, whatever.)
Item: Leftovers/Muscle Band/Expert Belt/Life Orb (If you're not running Reckless)
-Flame Charge (For the obvious speed boost, that's what this set is based around)
-Brick Break (Because if you use Hammer Arm,you're just gonna be lowering your speed. Otherwise what's the point of running a Flame Charge Set?)
-Stone Edge (Because you can still run a powerful attack without going for an INSANE amount of recoil damage with Head Smash. It's pretty much under the same line of thought that goes with choosing Flamethrower over Fire Blast, you know? Still powerful, not as powerful, but definitely more reliable. In this case, same Accuracy but no recoil. ME LIKEY!)
-Wild Charge/Scald/Level Ground (or Earthquake)/Yawn (This last slot is up for grabs. It all depends on your necessities. You can go with Wild Charge in order to avoid having to switch out on Bulky Water types that would resist all of your other moves. It deals recoil but at least it's the ONLY move you're running with recoil, and, if used first, can trick your opponent into thinking that you're running a Reckless set and make him prepare for that rather than for out-speeding you./Scald, I just like. I haven't thought this move out very well but that possible Burn really trips me out./Level Ground is in case you're not going to run any Fighting STABs in your set and you're in need of good coverage. I'd choose Level Ground over Earthquake because it just really falls in nicely with the Speed gimmick that this set prides itself on. Now YOU have a Speed Boost and your opponents Speed has been compromised. Otherwise, just go with ol' reliable: Earthquake./And finally, my personal favorite: Yawn. This little bastardy Egg Move will surely be causing some annoyance. Forcing switch outs is just fun as all heck and if you can get a nice little Sleep here and there, why not? It's really there for some cool team scouting, and, if you can anticipate your opponent's switch in, boom, he's definitely gonna want to think twice about keeping any kind of counter against Emboar in play for the time being.)

EVs: 252 Speed/252 Attack/4 HP (You could consider spreading EVs between Attack and HP a little bit more generously but you would be sacrificing much needed power considering that you've downgraded a few moves. If you run Scald you can spread those EVs to Special Attack too but that's a lot of work, don't you think? Hah.)
Nature: Jolly/Timid/Naïve/Hasty (Depending on whether you wish to run that Scald and not sacrifice it's power, you can sacrifice some MORE bulk, although I'd recommend otherwise, or some Attack in order to preserve survivability and still hit relatively hard with those Physical Attacks)

Now you have a pretty great Emboar with some awesome versatility, and hey, guess what? YOU DON'T FAINT ON THE FIRST TURN! How's that for pretty freaking genius!? Exploit that massive attack to your heart's delight.

This second set is the exact opposite of the first one in the sense that you're speeding up by slowing down! And no, we're not giving Emboar Trick Room, we're leaving that up to any other pokémon in your team, and that's for YOU to decide but this set definitely relies on Emboar getting some Trick Room support.

Ability: Blaze/Reckless (I guess you can run it, whatever.)
Item: Leftovers/Muscle Band/Expert Belt/Life Orb (If you're not running Reckless)
-Flare Blitz (See? I'm not against recoil. I just think it's use should be very well respected. You should NEVER run more than one of those unless it somehow benefits your strategy, otherwise, stick with a maximum of TWO, and that's PUSHING it. Anyway, obvious STAB with great power.)
-Hammer Arm (Now we can really go for Hammer Arm. The slower you get, the faster you are with this little guy, plus some more STAB and you are READY.)
-Stone Edge/Yawn/Taunt/Rest (Stone Edge and Yawn are here for the same reasons that were detailed in the previous set/Taunt is here in order to ASSURE -hint, hint- that a nice little move in the next slot will work wonders/And Rest is an optional, duh, recovery move that you can consider or not. Just saw that Emboar could learn it and threw it in there. Work around that)
-Bulk Up/Assurance/Wild Charge (Another slot that's up for grabs. Bulk Up is the obvious choice if you go with a Stone Edge. No need for an elaborate explanation here./Assurance on the other hand is something that caught my eye. By this time, you should probably be expecting Trick Room to wear out it's lovely welcome. You can use Taunt in the previous slot to make sure that you will get hit by a move once Trick Room has dissipated. Assurance will then rocket towards a 100 Base Power. Nice! I'm not entirely sure how a Dark Type move fits into this set but, let's just say it's there for the sake of creative, and unexpected, versatility. Has a nice ring to it, don't you think?/And, finally, Wild Charge. I kept my word on that whole at-most-two recoil damage moves. It's there for relative coverage and if you want to run a less technical set. More or less the same reasons as the previous set, really.)

EVs: 252 Attack/252 HP/4 Defense or Special Defense (Pretty straightforward. Defense and Special Defense, it's up to you, it hardly matters. Just focus on those other two immensely important stats.)
Nature: Brave/Adamant (Brave all the way. Beneficial to Attack and Detrimental to Speed. Just what this set is talking about, and, if you want to run Scald somewhere in there, which I did NOT mention for this second set, at least you won't have a nature that's screwing with your Special Attack. On the other side of the spectrum though, you have Adamant which will lower your Special Attack which you don't use, so whatever.)

My #1 Rule is EXPLOITATION. You really want to be able to juice all of your pokémon for what they're worth and Emboar should not be dropped on Hiroshima or Nagasaki and be called a day. Suicide should be reserved for VERY special occasions, like when you've got a Bronzong whose really, truly, only viable sets are support sets. Thank you, and have a nice day. ;)

wascos1

Overview

Of the three starter Evolutions Emboar has the best stats. Base 110 HP, Base 123 Attack, and Base 100 Special Attack, makes for a bulky mixed attacker. His Type, like Blazaken and Infernape, gives him 6 resistences, and 4 weaknesses. However his best move pool can give him excellent coverage. His move pool is also so diverse that he can be a Physical, Special, Mixed attacker, or he can be a Wall Wrecker with access to both Toxic and Will-O-Wisp. The only downside to Emboar is he doesn't have access to Close Combat, but He does have access to the other great fighting attacks; Hammer Arm (which can combo well with Gyro Ball), Brick Break (for Wall Breaking set), and Focus Blast (for mixed and special attacking set), so I think we can give Emboar a break. Even though his Speed is less than satisfying, I can see Emboar being used in UU, and if you were to invest EV's and Nature in Speed, than Emboar can possible be Border Line OU/UU, because Emboar's HP, Atk, and SAtk are too high for UU.

Physical Set

-Flare Blitz
-Wild Charge
-Earthquake
-Brick Break/Hammer Arm/Stone Edge

Item: Choice Band/ Leftovers
Ability: Blaze/ Reckless (Dream World)
EV's and Nature
Nature: Adamant (+Atk -SAtk)
EV's 252 HP 252 Atk 4 Def

This set plays more to Emboar's Reckless ability. This set has awesome type coverage. Flare Blitz being Emboar's main STAB,Wild Charge takes care of the nasty Electric and Flying types, Earthquake of course has amazing coverage. As far the fighting STAB is concerned I'd take Brick Break over Hammer Arm because Emboar's max Speed, if EV trained, is 251 and 166 with out EV's and Hammer Arm wouldn't be wise since it lowers Emboar's speed. Stone Edge has great coverage but it's accuracy makes me lean towards Brick Break.

Special Set

-Flamethrower
-Focus Blast
-Hidden Power [Electric]
-Scald

Item: Choice Specs/ Leftovers
EV's and Nature
Nature: Modest (+SAtk -Atk)
EV's 252 HP 252 SAtk 4 Def

Just goes to show how diverse Emboar's move pool is. This is the only Fire Type (that I have seen so far in this Generation) that can use a Water Type move. Flamethrower and Focus Blast is the big STAB, while Hidden Power [Electric] would be best against Water and Flying, and Scald can take out the nasty Ground and Rock types that threaten him.

Mixed Set

-Flamethrower/Flare Blitz
-Focus Blast/Brick Break/Hammer Arm
-Earthquake/Scald
-Wild Charge/ Hidden Power [Electric]

Item: Leftovers/ Expert Belt
EV's and Nature
Nature: Mild (+SAtk -Def)
EV's 252 HP 100 Atk 156 SAtk

This set, basically take the attacks you like from his Physical and Special move set and combine them into one big package that can cause a lot of devestation!

Wall-Breaker

-Substitute
-Will-O-Wisp
-Toxic
-Brick Break/Flare Blitz

Item: Leftovers
EV's and Nature
Nature: Impish (+Def -SAtk)
EV's 252 HP 44 Atk 104 Def 104 SDef

No wall is safe from this move set! If you can max Emboar's HP to it's potential 424 than this Wall's bad defense won't make much of a difference since Substitute will protect him. Getting hit by Toxic or Will-O-Wisp will force your opponent to switch. If you really want to wreck your opponents Screen Support Brick Break can really annoy people, however Flare Blitz is there for raw power. Either way both STAB really well so the choice is yours!

Slow and Steady the GYRO BALL Goes

-Hammer Arm
-Gyro Ball
-Substitute
-Curse/ Flare Blitz

Item: Leftovers
EV's and Nature
Nature: Brave (+Atk -Spd)
EV's 252 HP 176 Atk 76 Def

This set requires Emboar to be as slow as possible. Set up a Substitute and use Hammer Arm, and once you feel you are slow enough you can use Gyro Ball to your hearts content. Curse can help increase you attack and Defense while lowering your speed, but Flare Blitz would be better as for the STAB.

Other Options

Sunny Day, Solarbeam, Bulk-Up, Superpower, Roar

Sunny Day and Solarbeam can combo with Substitute to take out Ground/Water pokemon that resist Wild Charge.

Bulk-Up works well with the Emboar's Physical set

Superpower is another Fighting STAB

Roar can work with Wall-Breaking sets to Toxic/Will-O-Wisp your opponents team

Countering Emboar

Speed, and go for the OHKO. If you allow Emboar to get an attack, it will cause Severe Damage. Your best bet is a bulky Water Type like Swampert and Quagsiresince it can resist every attack Emboar can dish out. The Substitute Sets can be a little difficult since Emboar is so Bulky.

Other options for Countering Emboar is Spiritomb. Ghost/Dark combo is hard to beat, and makes Emboars fighting STAB's useless.

As Much as I like Emboar, his Speed is his big Achilles' Heel (with the exception of his Gyro Ball Set).

Suicune95

The Northwind
500.gif

Thanks Game Freak, for ANOTHER Fire/Fighting starter. This typing instantly puts him up for comparison against Blaziken (who has promise thanks to Speed Boost) and Infernape, who we already know is a fantastic Pokemon. Inferiority complex anybody?

Anyways, he's got a good bulk, (which is still difficult to use thanks to subpar defenses) and a great attack. It's a shame he didn't get Drain Punch.

RestTalk
Emboar @ Leftovers
Reckless/Blaze
Calm Nature
252 HP/4 Att/252 SpDef
-Bulk Up
-Rest
-Sleep Talk
-Flare Blitz/Hammer Arm

Here is a basic RestTalk set. Not sure how well Emboar would pull it off, but its a possibility. Bulk Up gives him an attack and defense boost, letting him hit hard and take hits, and also letting him take EV's elsewhere. Rest and Sleep Talk obviously go together, letting him recover while not getting out of the action. The last slot is for his attacking move, which you can take whichever you like. Flare Blitz is excellent with Reckless, especially since Rest let's him recover from the nasty recoil. Hammer Arm is for his strongest Fighting STAB that isn't Superpower.

Comments and criticisms?

And just as a note: Unless you're running Gyro Ball, Bulk Up is superior to Curse as its basically the same, minus the speed loss.

Reckless&Fancy Emboar
Nature: Adamant (+Atk/-Sp.At)/Jolly (+Spd/Sp.At)
Item: Choice Scarf/Leftovers/Shell Bell
EV: 110HP/200Atk/200Spd
-Flare Blitz
-Head Smash
-Take Down
-Wild Charge

Lucario At Service

Calm Trainer
Here is my attempt at move-set for it (it maybe similar to others peoples set though),

######
Emboar
######
================================================

Basic Set

Nature: Adament/Jolly

- Bulk Up
- Flare Blitz
- Wild Charge
- Brick Break/Superpower

A basic set for Emboar.

"Brick Break" is much better option than "Superpower" (based on my opinion) because there is no loss of "Attack" stat while using that move (even though it is a lot weaker than "Superpower").
But if the user is able to use "Bulk Up" twice, then the user can use Superpower, as the decrease in stat would only occur after using that move 2 times.

Suiciding Set

Nature: Adament/Jolly

- Bulk Up
- Flare Blitz
- Head Smash
- Wild Charge

This set is mainly for using its "Reckless" Ability to the max.

No Boost Set

Nature: Adament

- Flare Blitz
- Wild Charge/Hammer Arm
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Not using any stat boosting moves in this set.

Special Set

Nature: Modest/Timid

- Work Up
- Flamethrower
- Focus Blast
- Scald/Grass Knot

Mixed Set

Nature: Modest/Timid (EV's should be distributed in such a way that its "Atk", "S.Atk" & its "Speed" stats should get the highest amount)

- Work Up
- Flare Blitz/Flamethrower
- Focus Blast/Brick Break
- Scald/Grass Knot

Using the moves as necessary. A bit smilar to the "Special Set".

Cursed Set

Nature: Brave

- Curse
- Hammer Arm
- Flare Blitz/Overheat
- Gyro Ball

Using Curse's & Hammer Arm's speed reducing effect to the max by using "Gyro Ball" as a main move.

Double Battle Set [paired with a "Grass Oath" user]

Nature: Adament/Modest

- Fire Oath
- Toxic/Will-o-Wisp
- Protect/Echo Voice
- Assurance

A set mainly used in Double Battles when partnered with a "Grass Oath" user.

"Toxic" or "Will-o-Wisp" for additional damage

"Protect" for stalling or else "Echo Voice" for a combo with its partner.

"Assurance" its main damaging move (since with all those additional damage, this move would have 100 BP).

Other Options:

- "Arm Thrust" can be used in place of "Brick Break" since "Arm Thrust" can break through substitues & when it hits 5 times it matches "Brick Break" BP.

- "Heat Stamp" Tepig's lines signature attack (as of present). But since Emboar only weighs 150Kg (330.7lbs), the moves base power won't be that much high, same is the case for "Heavy Bomber"

- "Flame Charge" is a good physical move option for it only because it gives a one stage boost to its Speed. The only negative point about it is its weak base power.

Last edited:

easilyamused1

And I'm pretty sure nothing resists the combo of Fire/Electric/Rock/Normal.
...actually, I'm just pretty sure that nothing resists the combo of Fire/Electric/Rock.

Just a note that there are quite a few resistors of this attack combo, most notably swampert (and rest of water/grounds), garchomp/flygon, and the plethora of rock/grounds (which also resist the normal aspect) that emboar will more likely be facing in the lower tiers. Really should have a STAB fighting or a ground attack at the very least

:wub:disc

more like :mam:anbou
curse and rest talk are close to useless, blaziken is everywhere and so are blaziken counters so they're just going to be switching in on you all day. best just to stick with CB, probably, wild bolt can do some damage to water types. nitro charge is also pretty good, i dicked around with nitro charge / wild bolt / superpower / flare blitz and it did a fair bit of damage.

slowbro is one of the best counters, resisting both STAB moves and only sorta losing if it switches in on CB wild bolt - it can recover the damage off by switching though and paired with a ground type you're ****ed. jellicent is a close second.

gliscor is a common switchin so a special set could work but it then unfortunately lacks the ability to hit water types hard.

Last edited:

Rhys29

Encore
@Suicune95: This is the best bulky set to be posted on the thread imo. However, it should be noted that the team really needs to be built around this set since either STAB option has common resists/immunities to play around.

I beleive too many of these sets are focused purely around Emboar hitting as hard as it can with Reckless. Reckless is great and Emboar can hit hard, but it is not nearly as intimidating as Blaziken or Infernape in terms of a sweeper. Base 65 Speed is terrible, and sets that want to utilize it have to give up bulk in order to compensate for this stat. What I see is a tank ready to happen.

What Emboar can do that both Blaziken and Infernape cannot is tank. Comparing stats I see all with good offenses on all ends, Blaziken sporting 120/110/80, Infernape with 104/104/108, and Emboar with 123/100/65. Simply put, Emboar is a less intimidating Blaziken with its lack of speed, similar Attack stats, and Blaziken's superior Fighting STAB. Blaziken and Infernape also have the moves Swords Dance (and Infernape of course has its Nasty Plot) which is far more effective for sweeping than Bulk Up, making those measly 3 base points and the 20% Reckless boost moot. Emboar's offense also kills most of the extra HP it has. Flare Blitz and Head Smash are unfortunately the best choices Emboar has to deal with threats and would lose vital KO's by switching to Stone Edge. This defeats Emboar's ability to take a hit since each attack has recoil even without Life Orb. Superpower also lowers both Attack and Defense, making it much more difficult to perform a sweep. However, when we look at defensive stats I see Blaziken with 80/70/70, Infernape's 76/71/71, and Emboar with 110/65/65. This is where Emboar sets itself apart from those with similar typing: defense.

I can see that some would not consider Emboar to have good typing for a tank. I can agree to some extent but there are many reasons why it can work and work so well. It resists Fire, Grass, Ice, Dark, and Steel-type moves while having a x4 resistance to Bug. Immediately I see a reliable Scizor counter or, at bare minimum, check. Since Psychic is basically not used, Emboar must watch out for Water and Ground while keeping in mind Flying is used from time to time. Though he has some difficulties with the metagame at a standpoint, he can deal with some threats without much of a problem. I suggest a set such as this:

500.gif

Emboar@Leftovers
Adamant, Reckless
220 HP / 112 Attack / 120 Defense / 56 Speed
- Flare Blitz
- Superpower/Brick Break
- Head Smash
- Will-o-Wisp/Toxic​

Emboar's Speed might be low but its not quite useless. With 56 Speed, Emboar will outrun Skarmory, bulky Scizor, 76 Speed Tyranitar, lead Metagross (and other 12 Speed variants), and bulky Breloom. Notice these are all threats Emboar can dominate in one hit. 220 HP is the highest leftovers point Emboar can reach (thought its not that great of a number, I find its a better investment than 252 into HP). 112 Attack is a solid jump point, a few things to mention is it will always OHKO Heatran, Hydreigon, 252 HP Scrafty, and Tyranitar with Superpower (Brick Break is there for those who don't mind the power drop compared to the stat drop), scores a OHKO on Defense Skarmory 12% of the time with SR down and always OHKO's Metagross, Magnezone, and Jirachi with Flare Blitz, while Head Smash will score a OHKO on Gyarados, Dragonite, and Zapdos with Stealth Rock down. The 120 Defense points are mostly left over and placed there to increase its ability to take physical threats near its Speed level.

Though, as mentioned before, Emboar's movepool seems to prevent anything Emboar would have. A WoW on the switch can cripple faster Earthquake users. Not only that, but two of the best Wish-passers, Vapreon and Latias, cover Emboar's weaknesses and vice-versa and both appreciate WoW support. Since Emboar's typing tends to keep Steel-types at bay, Toxic can nab things like Jellicent or Swampert.

There are other options for Emboar, such as Mix-sets focused around move combinations like Flare Blitz / Wild Charge / Grass Knot / Superpower and defensive Rest/Sleep Talk variations, but both are outclassed. The next best thing is a Jolly Choice Band set.​

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.