• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #90

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spinner

Pokemon Breeder
I looked on Hy, and saw the Empty Sky

Hydreigon- Timid
Life Orb Full Sp Attack and Full Speed, (rest HP)

Flamethrower
Dark Pulse
Surf
Dragon Pulse

Remember Dark Pulse is Egg move, I used a gen 4 Gyarados.

TimmahX posted a similar set, with Choice Band as item, which is my doubles item of choice ;) for Hydreigon

My friend used this in the lead at the Subway, and won! Since then it has been my lead, and I am not sorry for it! A big thanks!

Since I voted for Hydreigon, I should post my set. Like I mentioned I give Dk Pulse Deino to kids who are having trouble with the elite four, then they raise it and win. A fine pokemon all around!
(title is more song lyrics no one knows anymore...)

NIGHTOWL22

Sucker-punched
Pow#90

Hydreigon Life Orb/Leftovers, usual power vs survivability thing, take your pick.
Levitate
Nature: Hasty
EVs: 252 sp attack 252 speed 4 att
Dragon Pulse
Fire Blast
Crunch
Work Up/Surf/Thunder Wave

Neat little set that can hit a lot of stuff hard.
Dragon Pulse, gets STAB is great.
Fire Blast ruins steels which is also great.
Crunch which I picked over Dark Pulse, as even though it's running off it's weaker offensive stat, hits anything that wants to try and calm mind in your face, as well as any psychic/ghosts/blissey harder than your other moves.

The last move slot is up to what you want from the 3 headed brutal dragon.
Work Up makes Hydreigon a near unstoppable offensive force
Surf adds more coverage if you have problems with heatran
Thunder Wave can cripple counters and is generally a nice support move.

Missingno. Master

Poison-type Trainer
Two Heads Are Deadlier Than One
Zweilous@Eviolite
Adamant nature
Hustle
252 Atk/252 HP/4 Def
~Outrage
~Fire Fang
~Aqua Tail
~Crunch/Protect

Zweilous is more commonly known to more casual players as that thing that stands between them and Hydreigon's Pokedex entry. Properly trained, however, Zweilous is the worst nightmare of anything on the receiving end of its attacks. Hustle takes its below-par Attack and boosts it to near Rayquaza levels. And with STAB Outrage in its arsenal, that's no laughing matter. Unless you're the Zweilous's trainer, however, in which case laugh away. Outrage, along with Fire Fang, provides the infamous Dragon Fire coverage that ravages everything in the game not named Heatran. Aqua Tail handles Heatran. The last slot is up to you. Crunch is another STAB move, but its coverage is unnecessary given the other three moves. Protect is another viable option, particularly in double battles.

Item does wonders for Zweilous's bulk, you have no idea. Ability is the only one possible, but the preferable one in any case.

Other options:
*Dragon Tail is good for forcing out less-than-desirable adversaries, though now that Zweilous has access to Aqua Tail, it's not so big of a deal anymore.
*Ice Fang and Thunder Fang make for a decent pseudo-BoltBeam, but what you have to remember is that particular attack combination is falling out of favor. It was fine back in the day of Generation III when the only things that resisted it were Magneton, Volt Absorb Lanturn, and Shedinja. But now that list has expanded to include Magnezone, Thick Fat Mamoswine, and a couple of Rotom forms, probably among other things I'm forgetting at this moment. Oh, and Lightningrod Seaking. Not that anybody uses that, but still. No, Dragon Fire is your new best friend for great coverage.

Abilities:
*Hustle: Zweilous's one and only Ability, but the only one it'll ever need. Multiplies Zweilous's Attack by 1.5, but reduces the accuracy of its physical moves. This is what makes Zweilous a fantastic and bulky (albeit risky) sweeper.

Partners:
Getting Zweilous on the receiving end of a Wish is the only way it's gonna heal up, so Blissey is an ideal teammate.

Counters:
Even with the Eviolite, a Close Combat with enough power behind it usually means certain death. STAB Drain Punch is also something you want to watch out for. Actually, pretty much any powerful move of a type Zweilous is weak to, especially if backed by STAB.

Opinion:
Very underrated, very powerful, very cool.

Prediction for next week:
Banette

Kraleck

Base 98 Speed puts you behind Salamence and Garchomp and only slightly ahead of Haxorus, but Hydreigon has its own niche with a primarily Special offense. Hydrei's defenses and Sp.Atk lie comfortably above Salamence's and HP puts it a few notches above Haxorus, Altaria, and Kingdra and slightly above Dragonite. This makes it pretty bulky and able to broadside many Pokemon that aren't prepared.

Ice, Fighting, Bug, and Dragon are Hydrei's only weaknesses and it can freely switch into Spikes, Toxic Spikes, and non-Mold-Breaker-boosted Ground-Type Moves thanks to Levitate. The bulk, Speed, and offense make taking it down with tank-n-spank tactics a grueling slugfest. Priority, however, makes beheading the beast much easier.

Non-legendaries with Speed and STAB Type advantages include:
-Bug: Ninjask, Accelgor, Scolipede, Durant, Galvantula, Scyther, Volcarona
-Ice: Weavile, Sneasel, Froslass, Cryogonal
-Fighting: Infernape, Mienshao
-Dragon: Garchomp, Flygon, Salamence

Of those with the Speed + STAB Type advantage, few can switch in safely (or at all) with Hydrei's monstrous offense - Fire covers over half of them and Dragon isn't resisted by Fighting. Not only that, most of the Bug and Ice Types are already outclassed. Dragon VS Dragon is probably the safest bet, but that Dragon has to be out already or coming in off of a KO'd ally in order to bust some heads. However, Priority isn't limited to Speed.

Ice Shard, Mach Punch, and Vacuum Wave can be a hassle. Prankster Status Effects can help to "cauterize the stump" when taking Hydrei' down. For example, Prankster-eye can become a big problem with Trick, Spite, Toxic, and Torment.

Star Champion AJ

This week, we have one of the best Pseudo-Legendary Pokémon ever.
635.gif

Hydreigon, everybody's favourite three headed EVIL Dragon and my favourite Pseudo-Legendary Pokémon.

Ability Compendium:
Levitate: Damage dealing Ground-type moves have no effect on this Pokémon. Cannot be trapped by Arena Trap ability. Takes no damage from Spikes.
EVIL Hydreigon's best (and only) Ability. It allows the EVIL Dragon to have one of the highest entry hazard resistances among all Pokémon.

Pros:
High stats in Attack (105), Special Attack (125) and Speed (98)
Decent defensive stats (92/90/90)
A super nice movepool either physical, special, mixed, anything you want, EVIL Hydreigon learns moves from 16 of the 17 types, doesn't learn Grass-type moves.
EVIL, lots of EVIL, tons of Pseudo-Legendary EVIL, Hydreigon even has an EVIL typing (Dark/Dragon)
It's a three headed Dragon (it was one of my dreams, seeing a Dragon with 3 heads in Pokémon)
It's unique typing (and Ability) gives EVIL Hydreigon some resistances and immunities, resisting the four basic types Dragons usually resist (Electric, Fire, Grass and Water), two to Dark and Ghost and two immunities (to the ever common Ground and another to Psychic)
Has one of the highest entry hazard resistance among the entire metagame, being immune to all forms of Spikes and taking only neutral damage to Stealth Rock (Flygon is better since it takes minimal damage from SR).

Cons:
Four weaknesses: two very common among Dragon-types (Dragon and Ice), another common to the ever present Fighting and an odd one to Bug-types (a Dragon-type being afraid of Bugs is a rare vision).
The hardest Pokémon to train ever, you need to level up to Level 64 to obtain the EVIL Hydreigon.
The best user of Illegal Evolution Poké-Wheaties, used by Unova Spatial Princess Dragon Champion Iris and Ghetsis (and the freaking bastard used that TWICE).
Weak to Ice Shard, Mach Punch and Vacuum Wave.

Ein, Zwei, Drei
635.gif
@Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Sp Atk/252 Spd/4 Sp Def
Nature: Modest/Timid
Dark Pulse
Dragon Pulse
Flamethrower
Roost
A basic Roost set, where Roost heals the Life Orb recoil (and other kinds of damage) the EVIL Hydreigon will suffer.
Dark and Dragon Pulse are your STABS of choice, while Flamethrower goes well with Dragon Pulse in terms of coverage (however Flash Fire Heatran will wall this).

The EVIL Dark Dragon
635.gif
@Choice Band/Choice Specs/Leftovers/Life Orb/Wise Glasses
EVs: 252 Sp Atk/252 Spd/4 Sp Def
Nature: Modest/Timid
Dark Pulse
Dragon Pulse
Flamethrower
Earth Power
The same set as Roosting EVIL Dragon except we have Earth Power instead of Roost and a different hold item.
Even with Earth Power, Flash Fire Heatran with Air Balloon will wall this as long as no damage is taken.
About items, you can chosse one of the following list:
Choice Band/Specs: Forces EVIL Hydreigon into using only one move with a 50% boost in Speed (Band) or in Special Attack (Specs)
Leftovers: Lefties restores EVIL Hydreigon's HP over time, adding some defensive power.
Life Orb: Boosts EVIL Hydreigon's attacking moves by 30% at the cost of 10% max HP as recoil damage.
Wise Glasses: Adds 10% to EVIL Hydreigon's attacking moves.

Physical, physical, I want an EVIL Physical Dragon!
635.gif
@Choice Band/Choice Scarf/Leftovers/Persim Berry
EVs: 252 Atk/252 Spd/4 Sp Def
Nature: Adamant/Jolly
Outrage/Dragon Rush
Crunch
Earthquake
Stone Edge/Rock Slide
EVIL Hydreigon's high Attack stat allows him to use a Physical set.
Crunch is your Dark-type STAB of choice with the occasional Defense drop putting your opponents afraid of a Dragon Rush/Outrage.
About your Dragon STAB, Dragon Rush has a high chance of Flinching (I love flinching opponents, you know) but has shaky accuracy, while Outrage has Outrageous power, however it locks EVIL Hydreigon into using that move 2-3 times in a row and then confuse you.
Earthquake and SE/RS gives you the infamous Quake Edge combo.
About items, Choice items lock you into using the same move (Outrage, anyone?) until you switch out, Leftovers restores HP over time, while Persim Berry removes confusion after the Outrage spam.

Prediction for next week:
201.gif

That way, we can have another voting PoTW Special week.

PS: Don't mind if I added too much EVIL to this post!

Last edited:

absol-umbreon

absolwillalwayswin
a little cup set i use sometimes

physical set

deino@choice scarf
outrage
crunch
aqua tail
superpower
ev's: 252 attack,252 speed,4 hp?
unresisted combinaton

rather decent sweeper!

matgonor

Too cool for SSB4
The hydra we all like.FINALLY.

The 3-headed beast
timid/modest
252 speed/ 252 sp.atk
@choice scarf
-Draco meteor
-Focus Blast
-flamethrower/fire blast
-Dark pulse/U-turn

The good ol´revenge killer set.An awesome way to put its ´´odd`` base 97 speed to good use.Draco-Meteor leaves a hole through anything that doenst have steel as a typing and isnt named chansey/blissey.For steels, Focus blast and the fire move of choice can work as a way to deal with them(suck on that, ferrothorn).Dark pulse as a stab option, and u-turn for scouting.If u-turn is chosen, a hasty nature would be a great idea.The nature is on hwat you want:
Modest to hit thing really harder or:
Timid to outspeed more enemies.(a choice scarf jolly haxorus, for instance...)
Fighting-types can make short work of it.(namely terrakion)Pokes like skarmory can help on the situation, as with that big defense it makes short work of it.

Prediction to next week:CHARIZARD,PLEASE.

absol-umbreon

absolwillalwayswin
my mixed defence set

hydreigon@leftovers
bashful nature
fly
toxic
protect
surf

just golike this
toxic
fly
protect
fly
protect
and on and on!

You jerks had to vote for the Pokemon that has ~10 usable sets as well as two usable pre-evolutions.

I hate you all.

Finally, another dragon type. What’s more, it’s my favourite Gen. V Pokémon.
This is my first set posted on one of these POTW threats, so here we go:

Hydreigon
Levitate
Life Orb
- Dragon Pulse/Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Flamethrower
- Tri-Attack/U-Turn
4 HP / 252 Special Attack / 252 Speed

This beast is all about attacking.
The first two slots are Hydreigon’s best STAB moves, I would personally choose Dragon Pulse over Draco Meteor because that move can be used over and over.
Flamethrower is there for the steel types that resist it’s dragon attack, and it’s way more reliable than Fire Blast.
U-Turn is essentially an offensive switch-out, but it’s not extremely damaging to the things Hydreigon might actually run from. (ice/dragon/fighting types) So, you could fill this slot with Tri-Attack, which could prove very useful in some situations. It has a one in five chance of either paralyzing, freezing or burning the opponent, while still doing some decent damage. This could potentially mean the end to any Pokémon trying to wall this dragon.

GirlKirbyZombie

Pokemon Rancher
I think Zweilous should be featured, too. The following move set is based off of one I saw in a Youtube video.

Blind but Dangerous
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 ATT, 126 Def, 130 Sp. Def (you can add the 4 EV points to defense if you want to)
Item: Evolite
Moves:
Outrage/Dragon Claw
Fire Fang
Crunch
Super Power

Before releasing the beast, try to pass down an accuracy boost (Speed Boost Blaziken or Ninjask works the best). With the combination of hustle and a few boosts, it could out-perform Hydreigon.

KingTorterraXIV

Wait what?
a little cup set i use sometimes

physical set

deino@choice scarf
outrage
crunch
aqua tail
superpower
ev's: 252 attack,252 speed,4 hp?
unresisted combinaton

rather decent sweeper!

Deino really doesn't need Aqua Tail. It doesn't hit anything that outrage already hits. Fire Fang is better for dealing with Bronzor. Superpower is neat too. EV's should be 20 HP / 236 Atk / 36 Def / 212 Spe, cause it doesnt need 252 to hit it's highest number, so extra EV's go into bulk. Deino's main problem this that Hustle sucks. It always misses when it needs to hit. Too bad it doesn't get Hone Claws. I wanna fiddle around with an Eviolite set. That might be fun :p

MetalCrow

If you were to pronounce hydreigon with a correct german accent, then it's name becomes a pun for dragon...i always thought that gamefreak did that on purpose

XxOshwhatxX

Pokemon Master
Ghetsis: Hydreigon Is Awesome-
-Fire Blast
-Dark Pulse/Acrobatics
-Dragon Pulse/Draco Meteor
-Focus Blast
Item: Wide Lens
Nature: Modest
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 S.Atk/ 252 SPD

Hyreigon has a great Special Attack stat, and this set will take full advantage of it. It's moves cover all of it's weaknesses, as well as having Levitate to negate Ground moves. Dragon Pulse is more accurate, yet has less power. However, it doesn't lower your Special Attack stat. Draco Meteor would probably be a near-end move, considering the power, stat lowering, and the Wide Lens boosts accuracy. Fire Blast wrecks Bug, Grass, and Ice types. Dark Pulse is an STAB move that ruins Ghost types, Psychic types, and Acrobatics is a filler that wrecks one of Hydreigon's weaknesses in Fighting. Focus Blast ruins Normal types and Ditto if it Transforms, Ice types, Rock, Steel, and Dark types. Good luck with the set.

You jerks had to vote for the Pokemon that has ~10 usable sets as well as two usable pre-evolutions.

I hate you all.

tumblr_m4g0h44m1B1qfozzd.gif

MWAHAHAHAHA!!!

Ok, so I don't know if anyone's posted this yet, and I don't care. It's amazing.

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Rash Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Superpower
- Roost

Ok, so before BW2, mixed Hydreigon was pretty much an inferior MixMence. It just didn't break walls like Mence could, but this all changed in BW2 with Superpower. Between Draco Meteor and Fire Blast, you're hitting pretty much everything hard besides Heatran, Tyranitar, Blissey/Chansey, and maybe some weird NU stuff that I won't even worry about right now. Superpower almost completely fixes this, letting you handle Heatran, Tyranitar, and Blissey with Superpower (Chansey needs a lot of prior damage, though). However, Roost is probably the best part about this set. Hydreigon may have an additional Fighting weakness that most other Dragons resist, but its neutrality to Rock, 2x weakness to Ice instead of 4x, and its resistance to Pursuit (not to mention its surprisingly good bulk) have all given it advantages over other Dragons. Now with Roost, Hydreigon can truly take advantage of its good bulk and typing and actually last a long time against teams that can't do enough damage to it. Definitely my new favorite set, and it really jeeds to be used more.

Ilan

I hate you all.

LOL I voted for haxorus so you can't blame me :D

@JesusFreak: yes, duranteater posted a similar set.

Scarf set is basicly the same set I posted before but with timid as main and modest as secondary and U-turn as an option instead of earth power or dark pulse.

Counters: Chansey nuff said. Hydreigon have more checks than counters it is very hard to switch into it specs ones demolish almost everything with draco meteor.

Last edited:

Kiyoshi

Veteran Trainer
Hydreigon; the first ever hybrid Dark-Dragon Pokemon ever. My top two favorite types finally combined onto a single Pokemon, yay! 6 resistances, 3 weaknesses (all of which very common attacks), 2 immunities (one from it's Ability), and very good offensive coverage (only Steel resists both types) it's a very good Pokemon. 98 base Speed is...odd, but not horrible. Although good in OU, I personally found Hydreigon to be laughable prior to the Move Tutors of Black2/White2. I mean, seriously, it can't learn Dark Pulse unless you trade over a Gyarados that was taught it back in Generation IV? (That's what my research showed: Gyarados shares an Egg category with Hydreigon, can be taught Dark Pulse via TM, it's an Egg move for Hydreigon...you get the rest.) Anyways, here are my set ideas.

Back in my day, we used swords not fancy guns!
~Dragon Pulse
~Flamethrower/Fire Blast
~Surf
~Hyper Voice/Tri Attack/Flash Cannon
Item Attached: Choice Scarf/Life Orb
EVs and Natures: 252 Special Attack/252 Speed/4 HP
Timid (+ Speed, - Attack)/Modest (+ Special Attack, - Attack)

Pre-Black2/White2 Moveset. Dragon Pulse is your standard go-to attack. STAB, hits most things for neutral, good PP, this ought to be on every Hydreigon. Flamethrower has that perfect coverage as described in Reshiram's file; Fire Blast is for those who prefer the trade off of higher accuracy and PP for power. Which is...99% of the people who are members of this site/who write up the POTW. Surf has good coverage, good power, and is your best weapon against Terrakion (there's also Earthquake, but 105 Attack compared to 125 Special Attack?). It also hits most Steels neutral and is the only Special Attack it has (again, pre-Black2/White2) that'll hurt Heatran. The last move is just for filler. Hyper Voice has good power and invokes Skyrim memes (I even named mine in White Alduin), plus most Pokemon who can safely switch into it have little to no business switching in due to Hydreigon's other possible moves. Tri Attack is weaker, but has the possibility of inflicting a Status onto your opponent. Yes it's random, low chance of happening, and may bring about your own defeat (ex. giving a Burn to something with Guts), but the possibility of ruining Magic Bounce users with a Status they'd usually laugh off (such as Espeon with Paralysis) is enough to warrant at the least a "gimmick" mention. Plus it's one of a handful of Dragons who can inflict Freeze Status semi-reliably. (Kyurem is the other; most others don't have the moveslots for Ice Beam or in Dragonite's case Ice Punch. Plus Dragon as an offensive type tends to hit most things Ice would and more anyways so how often does one see a Dragon and an Ice move on the same Pokemon?) Flash Cannon also hits Terrakion and Tyranitar like Surf, but with the chance of a Special Defense drop. Have I mentioned that before, that Flash Cannon does that Special Defense drop bit? Other than that, your other moves tend to leave Flash Cannon on the sidelines, so save this for Double Battles when you have a Serene Grace-equipped partner.
Items are fairly self-explanitory. Choice Scarf makes up for Hydreigon's Speed (oh the things that outrun this Dragon!) and is preferred over Choice Specs since you've got a strong 125 base Special Attack to work with already. (Though the extra power is always nice...) Life Orb boosts the power of Hydreigon's attacks while cutting your own health. Just make sure you run an EOD unit on your team (Espeon, Rapid Spinners, etc) so you don't KO yourself sooner. (EOD, for those not familiar with the term, means Explosive Ordinance Disposal; a sub-branch of the US Navy that gets rid of land mines, IEDs, and other hazards. A fitting term for Pokemon who exist competitively just to get rid of field hazards, no?)

Welcome to the future!
~Dragon Pulse
~Flamethrower/Fire Blast
~Earth Power
~Dark Pulse
Item Attached: same as above
Ability: Levitate (it's the only Ability it gets.)
EVs and Nature: same as above

Post-Black2/White2 moveset. It works the same as the previous set, but with two different, key attacks. (Side note, for those who "breed perfection" this set can be created legally by breeding a Hydreigon with a Gyarados who was taught Dark Pulse in Gen IV and whatever's breedable with Hydreigon that knows Earth Power. I don't.) Earth Power is slightly weaker than Surf and hits most of what the Water move also hits. The differences are fairly huge, however: a chance to lower the foe's Special Defense and a X4 hit on Heatran (who, as stated for Reshiram, is the only thing that resists the Dragon/Fire offensive combo). Dark Pulse is your other STAB move, and a good one too. Hits Psychic and Ghost types hard, and the Flinch chance always helps even if your opponent has a counter in.

Status
Not open for further replies.