• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #90

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacobthepokemonfreak

Fly it all away!
puns:
Its DIE(NO) x3 (hydreigon)
Two heads are better than one (zweilous)
omnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomn........ (any?)
just because I'm small doesn't mean i don't eat much (deino)

Vandslaux

Not completely sure if Nazi/Jew puns are a good idea, even with how it's name sounds in German.

OceanicLanturn

Non non non!
Six Wings, Three Head, One full team sweep
- Flamethrower
- Surf/Dark Pulse
- Earth Power
- Draco Meteor
Ability: Levitate
Item: Expert Belt/Life Orb
Nature: Modest (+sp.atk -atk)/Timid (+spd -atk)
EV: 252 spd/252 sp.atk/4 def

This Hydra like Pokemon is honestky a terrifying sight. Earth Power allows this hydra to utterly destroy Heatran, which can tank Hydreigon if it was unequipped with a Surf. Expert Belt can be used over Life Orb for the unwanted HP loss, and since Hydreigon has such an amazing movepool, it can score a big dent at a x4 or x2 hit. Flamethrower allows Hydreigon to toast Ferrothorn, Genesect and Scizor. Combined with Life Orb or Expert Belt, it can strike a 1 hit to 2 hit ko. Surf is here for coverage but Dark Pulse is for STAB mainly. Draco Meteor can be used as a "last resort", but it can still tear through flesh. Max speed is to strike first and sp.atk is for maximum damage. Meanwhile, Modest is to put a bigger hole while Timid can be ran to outrun more stuff.

Other Options
Fire Blast, Heat Wave, Charge Beam, Focus Blast, Hyper Voice, Tri Attack, Thunder Wave, Toxic, Outrage, HP (Grass)

Counter
On a special set, anything that ends with a "sey" utterly walls this hydra to no end. Gastrodon can be a good counter if Hydreigon does not carry HP Grass. Breloom can be a decent counter as well, soaking up grass and water type moves with ease but it has to watch out for Flamethrower. Hydreigon has such a big movepool that it's not even funny. Countering is no where close to easy. An Adamant Mamoswine can possibly 2h ko it, but it must survive the second hit before ending this hydra's reign of horror

Kraleck

Taking the Fight Out of Your Opponent's Hands
Countering Hydreigon is simple. Countering without getting slaughtered is another story. Fast hard-hitters like Weavile, Accelgor, Volcarona, and Mienshao can punch some good holes in Hydrei's bulk. The best bet for tanking against Hydrei' is to hit it with Toxic Poisoning ASAP. A lack of recovery for that amount of bulk means that it will likely be a war of attrition when attempting a KO. This equates to a grueling slugfest that either few can survive a single hit (if they have Speed advantages) or few can dish out enough damage quickly (if they have considerable bulkiness).

Mandibuzz is a good candidate for Tox-Stall from its bulk and neutrality to most of Hydrei's common Moves. Once weakened from the Toxic Poison, mopping up is left to the designated Hard-Hitter. Hydreigon's 3 heads are an indicator to use a 3-pronged strategy:
1. Toxic
2. Stall
3. Revenge KO
...this will limit the casualties you'll take when facing it. However, you have to beware of counter-strategies that involve switching, false advertising (i.e. Zoroark's Illusion), or flat-out using Hydreigon to tip your hand early.

MetalCrow

I just noticed tbat hydreigon gets charge beam, substitute, and roost, and has STAB dragon attacks...idk bout you guys, but that sounds pretty cool, if not somewhat gimmickish

Taking the Fight Out of Your Opponent's Hands
Countering Hydreigon is simple. Countering without getting slaughtered is another story. Fast hard-hitters like Weavile, Accelgor, Volcarona, and Mienshao can punch some good holes in Hydrei's bulk.

I think you are confused on what a counter is. None of those Pokemon, except MAYBE Volcarona can switch in on Hydreigon without being OHKOed.

Ilan

Not completely sure if Nazi/Jew puns are a good idea, even with how it's name sounds in German.

Try to avoid those... Why does everything in German need to be connected to the holocaust??

Puns?:
Three heads one brain (choice specs)
The level you need to evolve hydreigon is too damn high (level 64 WTFH?)
Two are worse than one (zweilous)

KingTorterraXIV

Wait what?
Try to avoid those... Why does everything in German need to be connected to the holocaust??

Cause when you think of Germany and destruction (or Germany in general) what's the first thing you think of?

PATxEVILxCLOUD

Drizzletoed User
My current hydreigon ...
Nature: Timid @ Dark Gem
EVs: 252 Sp. Att, 252 Speed, 4 HP
Attacks: Flame Thrower, Dark Pulse, Surf, Dragon Pulse

Vandslaux

I wasn't suggesting that, I was saying that because I saw a post w/ holocaust reference puns.

KingTorterraXIV

Wait what?
Let's see, the first thing I can think of Germany and destruction in the same sentence...
Angela Merkel! She's worse than 3 Hydreigons!

February-02-2012-16-25-59-281193570453758033RLWFSeVTc.jpg

also ive been trying out Zweilous and its a strongth

Last edited:

philzone

Ready for trumpets

I was looking at greek puns, as the hydra is commonly seen in greek mythology.
Here are some greek puns:
-Head-long hydra; out of control (physical sets with outrage)
-Its all greek to me(gimmick sets)
-rechargeable hydra(charge bem set)

Ilan

Cause when you think of Germany and destruction (or Germany in general) what's the first thing you think of?

Well... you arew right but.. I dislike holocous jokes... I am not that sensitive but I don't like them I am sure there are lots of other puns...

About the charge beam set.. Hydreigon can't trap pokemon like magnezone I don't think it is a good idea also hydreigon is easy to scare off due to his weird speed tier (common only 2 more speed points!) so I don't think a boosting set would work that well and charge beam have only63% chance to boost sp.attack... Large movepool but yet no good booting move it's a shame it doesn't get dragon dance it could be a good surprise set.

KingTorterraXIV

Wait what?
I like the idea of Greek puns instead of German

MetalCrow

Well... you arew right but.. I dislike holocous jokes... I am not that sensitive but I don't like them I am sure there are lots of other puns...

About the charge beam set.. Hydreigon can't trap pokemon like magnezone I don't think it is a good idea also hydreigon is easy to scare off due to his weird speed tier (common only 2 more speed points!) so I don't think a boosting set would work that well and charge beam have only63% chance to boost sp.attack... Large movepool but yet no good booting move it's a shame it doesn't get dragon dance it could be a good surprise set.

What about work up? It's not the best boosting move, but it does make hydreigon pretty unstoppable in terms of mixed offense(not factoring speed) ...as always, speed is an issue, so i think any faster pokemon should be trashed before everybody's favorite mythological hydra of mass destruction decides to ravage the battlefield

Ilan

What about work up? It's not the best boosting move, but it does make hydreigon pretty unstoppable in terms of mixed offense(not factoring speed) ...as always, speed is an issue, so i think any faster pokemon should be trashed before everybody's favorite mythological hydra of mass destruction decides to ravage the battlefield

I think that is a better way of boosting offenses than charge beam cause charge beam is:
1. unreliable
2. weak
3. electric attack- ground,volt absorb,motor drive and lightningrod pokemon are immune.

It is good against Stall in general so it might be good of course counters and checks need to be KOed before you decide to set up.. it can be with life orb and mixed attacking EVs.

KingTorterraXIV

Wait what?
I think Charge Beam and Work up could work, but it doesn't help fix Hydra's biggest problem.

Basically every other Dragon Type can outspeed it due to it's non 100 base speed, I mean Choice Scarf helps, but if the opponent is using a Scarf as well (lol scarf mence).

Biggest thign that makes it stand out for me tho, is it's acess to U turn, which other Dragons wish they had (Flygon gets it too, but most people kill Flygon with Ice Scard anyway, Hydregion can take it, somewhat better.)

Imagine if Salamence got U-turn...it would be god

Status
Not open for further replies.