• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #92 - Special

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meowmeow

selfproclaimed guru
Part 1: Black

Black Kyurem has that monster attack stat and some moves to use. Terravolt is a nice ability too. However, it has a movepool that is just crying for more. Being an ice type in ubers is a death sentence as well.

The only Black Kyurem you will probably ever see
Nature: Adamant/Jolly
EVs: 252 attack and speed, 4 hp
@: Choice Band/Choice Scarf

Outrage
Fusion Bolt
Dragon Claw
Freeze Shock

One advantage that Black Kyurem has is that it can counter Kyogre very well, thanks to a resistance to water and electric and doesn't fear Ice Beam.

Part 2: White

White Kyurem is scary. Turboblaze is an ability that is welcomed, as well as a nice movepool. Type could be better.

Whiteout
Nature: Modest
EVs: 252 sp attack and speed, 4 hp
@: Choice Specs

Draco Meteor
Ice Beam/Dragon Pulse
Fusion Flare
Earth Power

Unresisted by all.

DX 2401PT

Monitor
BW Kyurem (not to be confused with Kyurem from BW)... absurd offenses, decent~good defenses, not THAT great speed that's higher than most Legendaries of the same class (MOST)... I'm hearing that it's impossible to get Fusion Bolt on White Kyurem and Fusion Flare on Black Kyurem. But I'm not sure if it's really impossible, as I've never tested it (will once I get BW2). If you have both Reshiram and Zekrom in BW2, can you go back and forth between BW Kyurems? If not, that's crap... If so, then what happens to Kyurem once it gets Fusion Flare/Bolt as BW Kyurem and the 'fusion' is undone? Does it automatically forget Fusion Flare/Bolt (like Rotom Formes) or does it keep the moves even though it can't naturally have them (like Deoxys Def Forme with Cosmic Power when it only naturally gets Iron Defense/Amnesia, and Shaymin Sky Forme with Earth Power, Shaymin Land Forme with Air Slash). With that in mind, would it be possible to have a BW Kyurem with Fusion Bolt, Fusion Flare, Ice Burn, and Freeze Shock for some unknown reason? It'd be interesting, yet pointless.

I'd accept that Black Kyurem and White Kyurem can't have Fusion Flare/Bolt respectively IF those two moves were not level-up, but rather special moves like for Rotom Formes. But because they're level up moves, I'm thinking that BW Kyurem function similarly to Deoxys. Deoxys Atk Forme can't learn Extremespeed, but that doesn't stop it from having it (Spd Forme).

Anyways, BW Kyurem...

Black Kyurem
Adamant Nature, EVs: 6 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Spd
Item: Choice Scarf
Outrage
Fusion Bolt
Freeze Shock
Earthq... wait... Stone Edge

Outrage kills things including itself once confused. Better swap out when that happens. Fusion Bolt is very reliable. No STAB, but... 100/100 power/acc. Freeze Shock is ridiculously powerful despite being a two-turn move. And since Black Kyurem doesn't get Earthquake like so many of other Generation V things (Mantine laughs at Zekrom's inability to use Earthquake), so... Stone Edge to hit other Ice types and Fire types.

White Kyurem
Modest Nature, EVs: 6 HP, 252 Sp. Atk, 252 Spd
Dragon Pulse/Draco Meteor
Fusion Flare
Ice Burn/Ice Beam/Blizzard
Earth Power

Dragon Pulse is reliable STAB, Draco Meteor is those "use, kill, run" things. Fusion Flare is very reliable, and... you can now have an Ice type with a Fire type move! Ice Burn is massive STAB but requires 2 turns, Ice Beam is the reliable hell-of-a-lot-weaker alternative, and Blizzard is between Ice Beam and Ice Burn but terrible accuracy unless in Hail. Earth Power is for coverage. A powerful Ground type move that uses the massive offensive stat that Black Kyurem lacks (seriously, no Earthquake?)

avsimone

Magma Trainer
set titles: let's establish some boundaries ('cause kyurem is the boundary pokemon... right?)
kyu-rem-ember what I'm suppoed to do? etc. etc.

black kyurem
leftovers
adamant/impish
substitute
freeze shock
fusion bolt
outrage/dragon claw

White kyurem
leftovers
sub
freeze burn
fusion flare/ fire blast
dracometeor/ dragon pulse

counters: black kyurem:
ferrothorn, (groudon get's owned by freezeshock) mewtwo/darkrai (outspeed before sub)

counters: white kyurem:
defensive kyogre,

firerank9

Aura All-Star
WHAT?!?!? TWO FORMS THIS WEEK?

Black Kyurem
Rise from the ICY dark
Nature: Jolly(+ Speed/- Sp Attack)
Ability: Teravolt
EV's: 252 Attack/252 Speed/4 HP
Item(s): Power herb/Life Orb (if power herb dose not work for signature move)
Moves
Outrage
Freeze Shock
Fusion Bolt
Shadow Claw

The thing with these forms is that they are able to learn the signature move of the pokemon Kyurem fusions with, as well as there own orignal move. However Black Kyurem is WAY more physical attack base while White Kyurem is Special attack base.

White Kyurem
The Burning ICY Light
Nautre: Timid(+ Speed/- Attack)
Ability: Turboblaze
EV's: 252 Sp Attack/252 Speed/4 HP
Item(s): Life Orb/Wide Lens
Moves
Draco Meteor
Fusion Flare
Ice Burn
Earth Power

Till the launch of Black 2/White 2 everybody...LatOr!

One quick word of advice. Freeze Shock can be somewhat useful on Kyurem-B because he has little else in the way of good physical moves, but Kyurem-W should never run Freeze Burn. Between Draco Meteor, Dragon Pulse, Blizzard, Ice Beam, Fusion Flare, Focus Blast, and Earth Power, there is really no shortage of good special moves in Kyurem-W's movepool. Ice Beam, or even Blizzard, will always be better and more reliable options. Trust me, if Kyurem-B got as much as Ice Punch, I wouldn't even recommend Freeze Shock in the first place.

SkyDriver

Hiding in the grass
dunno if this is posted yet, but:
Kyurem-W @ Choice Scarf
TurboBlaze
Modest
252 SpA/4 SpD/252 Spe
-Draco Meteor
-Fusion Flare
-Ice Beam
-Dragon Pulse

Solid STABs with the best coverage move. Awesome revenge killer, but needs spin support.

SwiftGrovyle

Official POTW Fact Checker
I will be back to post something. Just leaving a footnote about the last potw that needs to be corrected.

Rhyhorn gets double edge from dream world. I know it shouldn't matter, because it's useless, but I don't want to make this site say two completely opposite things, 'cause that sounds even more stupid, right? So I'll be back.

Sala-imence

Rock type trainer
White Kyurem

Nature: Modest
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Moveset:
- Dragon Pulse
- Blizzard
- Fusion Flare
- Ice Beam

Simple, use whatever move fits. If there is no hail, ice beam is safe than blizzard.

grantholomew

accually is dolan
Kyurem-W is definitely the better of the two. It has a better movepool, and can still KO things with uber Special Defense. Poor Kyurem-B doesn't get a physical Ice move besides Freeze Shock, which has an undesirable side effect. This probably won't drop it from the Ubers tier but Kyurem-B will probably be passed up for Kyurem-W a lot of the time.

I'm not gonna post any sets because they've basically been covered. One week. We can do this people.

Kyurem Black

Set: Substitute Attacker
~ Substitute
~ Outrage / Dragon Claw
~ Freeze Shock
~ Fusion Bolt
Item: Leftovers
Nature: Jolly
Evs: 52 HP / 204 Atk / 252 Spe

After playing around with this set, I've found it works fantastically with entry hazard support. The premise is simple: Sub on a switch or a status move, then hit hard. Sub is mainly used for Freeze Shock to have a turn to charge, as it will hit anything that's slower than Kyurem when its behind a Sub, and even it they resist it hits hard. Jolly with max speed investment allows for a Sub to be set quickly, as well as to ensure Kyurem will have a turn to charge Freeze Shock against a slower opponent. The HP evs allow for 101 HP Subs, so Night Shades and Seismic Tosses won't break them in one hit. The rest are put into attack for power, as even without max investment and with leftovers over life orb, Kyurem can OHKO to 2HKO most opponents with Freeze Shock after entry hazard damage. Outrage allows for Dragon STAB and hit quite hard, while Dragon Claw means you wont have to stay locked in on a move. Fusion Bolt is to slam Kyogre, Manaphy, and Ho-oh among other things.

Quagsireking

I am the king!
Black an white kyruem. Two of the most powerful monsters in ubers with their attack stats only being passed by deoxys-A. However, both have a limited movepool that is very lackluster.

White-Kyruem: The best movepool wise out of the two, being able to abuse moves like draco meteor and ice beam more so than its counterpart. Also add fusion flare into the mix and you have a pokemon than can abuse all of the weather conditions barring sandstorm.

Black Kyruem: The one who got the short end of the stick. While it has amazing attack, it has a move pool that has little to suit it. The prime example of this is that the only physical ice move it gets is freeze shock which could allow your opponent to get 1 set up or a status move in. But with B-kyruem's attack anymove you use will 2-3HKO your opponent.

philzone

Ready for trumpets
Cool, two awesome uber pokemon.

My kyurem white set
Snow blind
Choice scarf
Modest
252 spd,252 sp att,4hp
Draco meteor
Fusion flare
Ice beam
Focus blast

Ok. This guy is staple in my ubers team. Nature and evs to put dents in most teams. Draco meteor hits very hard, as well as ice beam. Fusion flare destroys forretress (who seems very frequent in ubers), and focus blast for arceus and darkrai.

Counters for white form.
Stealth rocks are staple against this. Palkia, and dialga are strong, but palkia is killed by dragon moves. Dialga survies more and comes back with draco meteor

CabbyFish

It's B and it's W...
Black Kyurem and White Kyurem. Both are very destructive forces who each have their advantages and disadvantages.

Even Giovanni couldn't tear down these walls

White Kyurem
Nature: Timid
Item: Leftovers/Life Orb
EV's: 56 HP/200 SPA/252 SP

Substitute
Roost
Fusion Flare/Earth Power
Dragon Pulse/Ice Beam

Black Kyurem
Item: Leftovers/Life Orb
EV's: 56 HP/200 AT/252 SP

Substitute
Roost
Fusion Bolt
Outrage/Dragon Claw

It doesn't take much for Kyurem to reach 404 hit points which create substitutes Seismic Toss and Night Shade can't break. Roost allows it to heal when its health runs low. The biggest point of contention is the item. Leftovers grants it the ability to stay in longer. Life Orb grants it a power boost at the expense of hit points. I've given them 405 hit points rather than 404 to allow it to create 4 substitutes or survive 4 rounds of Stealth Rock damage.

I need to hone my claws so that they can crush you better.

Black Kyurem
Item: Salac Berry
EV's: 4 HP/252 AT/252 SP or 52 HP/204 AT/252 SP

Substitute
Hone Claws
Fusion Bolt
Dragon Claw/Outrage

The idea behind this set is to use Hone Claws to boost your insane attack into even more insane levels. After three subs, the Salac Berry activates improving its speed. Either EV spread could be used although the second spread allows you withstand Seismic Toss or Night Shade and keep your sub up allowing more uses of Hone Claws.

Can anything stop the sheer power of these mythical beasts?

White Kyurem
Nature: Timid
EV's: 4 DE/252 SPA/252 SP

Draco Meteor
Ice Beam
Fusion Flare
Earth Power/Focus Blast

Black Kyurem
EV's: 4 DE/252 AT/252 SP

Outrage
Freeze Shock
Fusion Bolt
Dragon Claw

At 95 base speed, they aren't going to be outrunning everything, but what they can outrun better be prepared to take a massive attack as otherwise, major holes will be ripped through the opponent's team. White Kyurem will have an easier time as it can claw through steels much better than Black Kyurem.

Chidori__O

Kyurem-W@Choice Scarf/Choice Specs
Turboblaze
Modest/Timid/Hasty
4HP/252SAtk/252Spe
-Fusion Flare/Earth Power
-Draco Meteor/Dragon Pulse
-Ice Beam/Blizzard
-Earth Power/Focus Blast/Sleep Talk/Outrage

Kyurem-W is a beast in Ubers. With a massive base 170 special attack, who wouldn't be scared of it? Fusion Flare is a good attack that can easily kill Abomasnow, Genesect, Jirachi (provided it's in the sun) and Ferrothorn. Shaymin also dies against it but there's no point as Draco Meteor and Dragon Pulse easily finishes the job. Earth Power OHKOs Heatran and Excadrill. Draco Meteor and Dragon Pulse are excellent STABs. I recommend Draco Meteor with Choice Scarf Modest or Timid and Dragon Pulse for Choice Scarf Modest, Choice Specs Timid and Choice Specs Modest. Ice Beam may seem strange as we got powerful STABs already but it can OHKO's Lugia thanks to Turboblaze, which negates Multiscale. Ice Beam can also OHKO Gliscor as well. Hail is optional if you have a hail team. Blizzard becomes useful then as it won't miss at all. Focus Blast isn't exactly the best move to use but it OHKO's Heatran as well as 2-3 hit KO Blissey. Sleep Talk is if you're team is having troubles with Darkrai. Outrage is only if it's only Choice Scarf and the only reason why you use Hasty nature. It 2HKO's Blissey and OHKO Latios and Latias if they choose to Calm Mind. Choice Specs Modest allows it to have a sky high 723 special attack.

You probably want some spinners such as Fortress and Tentacruel. Magic Bounce users are also pretty useful as well. Entry hazards are quite a pain so I suggest you get rid of them before you send it out. With that high special attack, it's all worth it.

Kyurem-B@Life Orb/Choice Scarf/Choice Band/Power Herb/Focus Sash
Teravolt
Adamant/Jolly/Naive
252Atk/4 SAtk/252Spe
-Fusion Bolt/Stone Edge
-Outrage
-Earth Power/ Dragon Claw/Freeze Shock
-Roost/Ice Beam

This set is to be used in ubers (even though PO has allowed it in OU) Fusion Bolt is pretty powerful which allows it too OHKO not defense invested Kyogre. Stone Edge can be used for Thundurus. Outrage is indeed a power attack and with Kyurem-B's max 723 attack with Choice Band and Adamant. Earth Power allows it to OHKO Heatran and Excadrill. Dragon Claw is another option if Kyurem-B is going to stay for one turn. Kyurem-B's physical movepool is pretty shallow so Freeze Shock is only if you want to hit hard but you should only have Power Herb on the set. It may seems redundant since you have Outrage but Multiscale Lugia has it's ability negated due to Teravolt. Roost is there for instant recovery while Ice Beam is if you wish to OHKO gliscor.

Life Orb is an option to hit hard although entry hazards already cause enough troubles so you might not want to damage it more. Choice Scarf is to out speed other uber pokemon. Choice Band already gives it a huge attack stat. Power Herb is only for Freeze Shock. Focus Sash is only if you allow it to lead.

You probably want some spinners such as Fortress and Tentacruel. Magic Bounce users are also pretty useful as well. Entry hazards are quite a pain so I suggest you get rid of them before you send it out. With that high attack, it's all worth it.

A doubles set for Kyurem-W would be...

Kyurem-W@Choice Scarf
Turboblaze
Modest
4HP/252SAtk/252Spe
-Icy Wind
-Blizzard
-Draco Meteor
-Earth Power

With this set, you wanna set up hail ASAP. Blizzard is very powerful with the STAB as well as hitting both of the pokemon. Icy Wind lowers both of the foes speed as well. Draco Meteor easily OHKOs anything. Earth Power is for Heatran and Excadrill.

I said this was a set. Not a good one.

A doubles set for Kyurem-B would be...

Kyurem-B@Choice Scarf
Teravolt
Adamant/Naughty
252Atk/4SAtk/252Spe
-Rock Slide
-Outrage
-Blizzard
-Icy Wind

Set up hail with Abomasnow. Blizzard packs a punch. Icy Wind allows lower speed. Rock Slide hits both foes plus there's that flinch chance. Outrage packs a ton.

It wasn't horrible when I tested the set but it wasn't amazing either.

For partners, they both can use Abomasnow. Hail+Blizzard is very powerful especially with Kyurem-W.

A few bad puns I thought just now would be...

Couldn't you Kyurem about me?

I found a Kyurem!

*Insert bad pun here*

Last edited:

Electrolled

Someone used Kyreum-B as a surefire Darkrai counter:

Kyreum-B @ Life Orb/Leftovers
252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 HP
Nature: Adamant
-Sleep Talk
-Fusion Bolt
-Outrage

How many moves do you really even need? Sleep talk will kill Darkrai. It's more late game, just in case something that resists Electric and Dragon moves could check it. Exadrill's horrible defensive stats won't do anything anyways really, so...

Yeah, late game sweeper, Darkrai counter before Sleep Clause. I mean, what other moves do you even need late game? It's not like Kyreum has a nice Mew movepool...or even an Arceus one... or even a Ditto one.

Someone used Kyreum-B as a surefire Darkrai counter:

Kyreum-B @ Life Orb/Leftovers
252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 HP
Nature: Adamant
-Sleep Talk
-Fusion Bolt
-Outrage

How many moves do you really even need? Sleep talk will kill Darkrai. It's more late game, just in case something that resists Electric and Dragon moves could check it. Exadrill's horrible defensive stats won't do anything anyways really, so...

Yeah, late game sweeper, Darkrai counter before Sleep Clause. I mean, what other moves do you even need late game? It's not like Kyreum has a nice Mew movepool...or even an Arceus one... or even a Ditto one.
I was the one who posted that set. Mostly because Kyurem-B simply lacks the movepool for other moves, and hits ridiculously hard. It should also be noted that Darkrai will win if Kyurem-B doesn't hold a Choice Scarf.

Also, Bulky Excadrill is actually quite common, since it has an above average base 110 HP stat.

Ilan

Kyurem-B gets stone edge it is a good option against Ho-oh and Lugia which is a good filler.. you outrun ho-oh and most lugias don't use spd EVs so you might beat them.
Black Kyurem is OU for now in PO server so you might try to find a counter but I doubt it have.. although ferrothorn resisting his Stab and his semi signature move I doubt he isn't 2HKOed maybe Steelix can take 3 attack it needs calculations..
It is absurd he doesn't even get earthquake it would solve a little of his movepool problem..

Oh and did somebody noticed Kyurem-B has a base 120 sp.attack? what's wrong with using Ice Beam?

Last edited:

Electrolled

I was the one who posted that set. Mostly because Kyurem-B simply lacks the movepool for other moves, and hits ridiculously hard. It should also be noted that Darkrai will win if Kyurem-B doesn't hold a Choice Scarf.

Also, Bulky Excadrill is actually quite common, since it has an above average base 110 HP stat.

You posted this here? I'm sorry I should have looked. I saw this on another site, but with Zekrom and Bolt Strike.

Please explain how Darkrai would win?

Darkrai used Dark Void
Kyreum-B fell asleep!
Kyreum-B used Sleep talk
Kyreum-B used Outrage!
Darkrai fainted!

And like I said (and you know), it's a late game sweeper, so Exadrill should be gone.

pikadon92

Raiden Maximus
Just one question, if normal kyurem changes forme, does it replace Scary Face with Fusion Flare/Bolt and Glaciate with Freeze Shock/Ice Burn? I'm still not sure how its movesets change. Anywayz:

White Kyurem
Nature:Timid
EV: 252 Sp.Att and Speed each, 4 Hp
Moves:
-Fusion Flare/Earth Power(maybe)
-Ice Beam/Earth Power
-Draco Meteor
-Shadow Ball/Focus Blast

Fire/Dragon combo alone is a PERFECT coverage, even with Fire STAB.

Black Kyurem @ Life Orb/Power Herb (that red feather thingy that makes skull bash, solarbeam etc a one-turn move)
Nature: Hasty
EV: 252 Att and Spd, 4 Sp.Att
-Dragon Claw
-Freeze Shock
-Earth Power
-Fusion Bolt

Aura Flare Riolu convinces me that Freeze Shock may actually be a good ice move, despite being a 2-turn move. Don't forget the speedy sweepers are the main part of the metagame, so with its 30% par chance, only steel, bulky pokemon that can resists ice are the safest switch-in. That's where Earth Power comes in! Fusion Bolt conveniently handles skarmory. What's left is Levitate Bronzong.

I find dragon claw safer than outrage in this set.

So, should Sp.Att Evs be more invested in than Att?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.