• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #95

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gengar is one of the two original Pokemon who has managed to stay in standard play for every generation, and for good reason: It has a massive movepool containing many viable options, high Special Attack and Speed, Levitate, and a typing that allows it to come in fairly easily. While it has among the lowest defenses in OU, it more than makes up for its x4 resistance to Bug-type attacks, allowing it to take weaker hits from Scizor and Genesect, and its immunity to Fighting- and Ground-type moves. Gengar is also one of the few special attackers that can boast being able to take on Chansey and most Blissey and win. The generation shift also brought Gengar's arguably most deadly set, SubDisable, to the table, which works well against Fighting-types that pack only one move that effects Gengar, such as Lucario and Terrakion. Overall, Gengar is a top-threat in today's metagame, its only true flaws being its low defenses and weakness to Pursuit.

Ability
Levitate: This is one of Gengar's big selling points. Ground-type move are easy to lure in with many OU Pokemon being weak to them, and this gives Gengar a free chance to come in and wreck havoc.

SubDisable
Item: Black Sludge
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Substitute
- Disable

This is my favorite Gengar set, and it works amazingly. The idea is to set up Substitute when you get the chance and let the opponent switch to something that they think can beat it, like Choice Scarf Terrakion or Shell Smash Cloyster. On the next turn, they will likely break the Sub, and this gives you the chance to Disable their move, which is more often than not the only move that they have that is effective against Gengar. Shadow Ball and Focus Blast give Gengar perfect neutral coverage together.

SubSplit
Item: Life Orb
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Substitute
- Pain Split

Gaze in horror at possibly the most destructive Gengar set. The moves are the same, but this set's most important move is Pain Split. Since Gengar has a low base HP stat, it will be able to recover a lot of health from most other Pokemon. Combined with Life Orb and Substitute recoil, it is very effective. All this allows it to take down Chansey and Blissey much faster than other sets.

Substitute + 3 Attacks
Item: Black Sludge / Life Orb
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power Fire / Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Substitute

This set aims to get more coverage at the expense of utility. Shadow Ball and Focus Blast still get perfect neutral coverage together, while it has an added coverage move for more super-effective hits. Hidden Power Fire is generally recommended so Gengar can get past its arch-nemesis, Scizor. However, if the imperfect speed IV turns you off, Thunderbolt is an acceptable option to hit Tornadus-T and Water-types harder. Substitue is pretty much a need on any Gengar set, as it takes advantage of the switches it causes.

Other Options
Gengar has a huge movepool, so there are certainly other viable options. Thunder can be used over Thunderbolt if you have Rain support. Giga Drain can be used to hit Gastrodon, who might be problematic due to its high special defense. Sludge Bomb provides a Strong Secondary STAB, but gets redundant coverage. Gengar has a descent support movepool, including Will-O-Wisp, Mean Look, Haze, Perish Song, Taunt, and Hypnosis, but there are better users of these moves. Choice items may also be used, particularly Choice Scarf, as it allows Gengar to beat Latios and Latias in any situation, but due to its weakness to Pursuit, it is easily preyed upon due to its need to switch often.

Counters
Despite Gengar's incredible movepool, Speed, and Special Attack, there are a few Pokemon who can take it on. Choice Band Scizor is the best answer to it. Pursuit will OHKO Gengar even if it stays in. Just be careful, as if it is a behind a Substitute, it will be able to disable Pursuit, forcing Scizor out. Scizor also has to watch out for Hidden Power Fire. Swords Dance variants can simply Bullet Punch it to oblivion. Metagross is in a similar position, having access to both Pursuit and Bullet Punch, but fears Hidden Power Fire. Tornadus-T comes in at number two, as it naturally outspeeds Gengar and can hit it back, but once again struggles against the SubDisable set, and needs to avoid Thunder(bolt). Gastrodon is the closet thing to a counter to that set, as it can trick Gengar into Disabling Earth Power or Toxic, then hit back with Scald and Recover any damage taken.

Last edited:

Ilan

Nope, my computer has been acting up. Serebii wrote the Celebi one and Kyurem's alt forms. My computer will be down for a while, so we may need to find someone else to write it for now, or permanently (or just make Serebii do it).

The problem is the POTW have some errors like big root - leftovers recovers more HP than big root and U-turn being in other options when in pre-B2W2 metagame U-turn was a standard (not sure about now) Heal bell isn't everywhere it should be in the support set perish song also it is a great move with great synergy with U-turn. apart from those point it seems well.

Last edited:

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
I wonder if blue harvest really wrote celebis' POTW there were some off points.. magical leaf? why not tackle then really.. just no.

In the ever-growing non-Smogon battle circuit, Magical Leaf is a viable move. Our Pokémon of the Weeks aren't based on Smogon tiers, we cover everything, including VGC where evasion editing things are not banned

windsong

WEST SIDE
In the ever-growing non-Smogon battle circuit, Magical Leaf is a viable move. Our Pokémon of the Weeks aren't based on Smogon tiers, we cover everything, including VGC where evasion editing things are not banned

yes but in any competitive battling play the EVsets listed in the POTW for celebi are absolutely terrible. =[

Ilan

Isn't celebi banned in VGCs?

Espeon and xatu are both 0HKOed by gengar.. a timid espeon only speed ties with gengar so 50/50 chance to beat when facing 1 vs. 1 (none can switch into the other though) what does psychic hits? why not use subtitute instead?

I wonder if blue harvest really wrote celebis' POTW there were some off points.. magical leaf? why not tackle then really.. just no.

Lol, Magical Leaf is kinda worth it when you're not playing with Evasion Clause and you've got to deal with random Double Team and Minimize spam. The way I see it, the POTW should be based on the competitive metagame but should be able to extend into more casual play as well. Maybe it's not a prime move, but the Other Options mention that it got is fine.

I might come back and talk about Gengar more later, but let me just say that SubDisable is deadly, and you'd be surprised at just how many teams are weak to it.

Magical Leaf is not viable on any Celebi, anywhere. The only time Magical Leaf is almost usable is on Technician Roserade.

Regardless this thread is for Gengar. Focus on its sets.

SwordsDanceStruggle

I need to...DANCE
Gengar @ Black Sludge / Life Orb
252 SpAtk 252 Speed 4 HP
Timid
Shadow Ball
Focus Miss
Protect
Hidden Power Fire/Destiny Bond
This set plays defensively, like the Substitute variants, but it does very different things. Worried about (choiced) Scizor and his Bullet Punch - Pursuit conundrum? Just protect and act accordingly the next turn. This set is gaining in popularity, and is honestly really annoying. The last slot is wide open. HP Fire is of course for Scizor. This is the best set for Gengar to run DB on because Protect lets you hide your move until you are sure you can use it. Many other HPs are usable, along with maybe Giga Drain and Disable, if you like.

Phoenix_85x

Phantom Gengar
A SubDisable Gengar is my favorite set (btw, gengar is my favorite pokemon, so i am looking forward to the article).

Gengar@Leftovers/Black sludge
Timid nature
252 SpAtk, 252 Spe.
-Substitute
-Disable
-Shadow ball
-Focus blast/Hidden power [fire]

It is simple, substitute to scout and disable the next attack.
This thing beats all choiced pokemons (as long as they are slower or if Gengar already has a sub up).
It also stops stuff like volcarona (lol at bug buzz), conkeldurr, toxicroak and even non-choiced terrakion (stone miss is so awesome).
Be careful though, as some pokemons might time in their priority attacks on the same turn as you disable, effectively tricking you into disabling something like mach punch.
Substitute and disable are obvious moves.
Shadow ball hits hard and is for STAB.
HP fire can be used instead of focus blast/miss. It can beat scizor one-on-one but leaves you helpless against some pokemons (tyranitar, heatran and i don't need to mention the pink blobs).
This gengar forces lots of switches, so hazard support can be useful.

Gengar isn't a very good in double or triple battles. If you want a good ghost, use stuff like jellicent, chandelure or even dusclops.
If you want a levitating poison type, for whatever odd reason you have, then just give toxicroak a balloon (and some rain support).

2406Blackbird

CasualMediocre Gamer
Gengar was an awesome looking pokemon, due to my noobish friends (who had Ruby and Emerald) not getting the National Dex, I was forced to wait until 4th gen, which introduced the GTS, where I acquired my first Gengar! I overused that powerful mofo, and used it to defeat the post-game-ending Lucian without taking a single scratch! Gengar FTW! Just look out for those annoying mold breaking EQers though...

No GENius or GARchomp can defeat me!
Leftovers
Timid
252 Speed 252Spec Def 4HP?
-Disable
-Substitute/Protect
-Destiny Bond/Perish Song
-Shadow Ball

It's a classic protect/substitute first turn in order to scout, then with your amazing speed use disable. Lefties so you can eventually put up more subs, destiny bond if you want to take the opponent down with you, Perish song in order to force switch, and shadow ball to let them know that taunt means absolutely nothing if you they have **** defenses.

Gaspar the Mean Ghost
Leftovers
Timid/Calm
252 Speed and split between Def., Spec. Def and/or HP
-Mean Look
-Toxic
-Perish Song/Protect
-Shadow Ball/Destiny Bond/Substitute/filler move

Another stalling set. After Mean Look, toxic stall them, and set up subs to prevent getting hit. Switch between Protect and Subs for extra stalling. Toxic too slow? Well just perish song them, and switch out before the final turn. Shadow ball to prevent you from being taunt bait, destiny bond for u know wut, or just some other move.

5th Gen-gar abusers
Life Orb/Specs/Scarf
Modest/Timid
(This is a noob set, noobs don't use EVS you silly goose!)
-Shadow Ball
-Sludge Bomb
-Focus Blast
-Energy Ball/Dark Pulse/Psychic/T-bolt/Physical move

If you've somehow acquired a Gengar while playing in-game, you must have used a set similar to this one. Absolutely wrecks through anything that is weak to its moves!

Trouble Sleeping?
Leftovers
Timid
252 Speed 252Spe 4HP?
-Hypnosis
-Dream Eater
-Hex
-Nightmare

Gengar can become a look a-like Darkrai, putting foes to sleep then tormenting them like hell.

Keep in mind that all these are slightly or fully gimmicky sets
-Shadow Ball

KingTorterraXIV

Wait what?
Misdreavus > Gastly

That is all

gandaf

Gengar:

-Shadowball
-Focus Blast
-Icy Wind
-Counter
-Foucus Band

Great for surprsing Physical Attacker (counter) and makes a good lead. Icy Wind slows down speedy pokemon, ShadowBall STAB, and Focus Balst for normal/steel. Ev in speed and special attack for best results

grantholomew

accually is dolan
Thank Arceus, Gengar is and always has been my favorite Pokemon. I always use him and he almost always guarantees KO's.
094.gif

Let's Put a Smile on That Face
Gengar w/ Focus Sash
Levitate
252 SAtk/252 Spd/4 HP
Timid (+Spd, -Atk)
-Shadow Ball
-Focus Blast
-Thunderbolt
-Destiny Bond
Focus Sash and Destiny Bond work like a charm with Gengar. Let's hope a better Special Fighting move will be released in 6th Gen...
Guys don't ruin Gengar's week with posts that just come up with puns...

Ilan

Gengar:

-Shadowball
-Focus Blast
-Icy Wind
-Counter
-Foucus Band

Great for surprsing Physical Attacker (counter) and makes a good lead. Icy Wind slows down speedy pokemon, ShadowBall STAB, and Focus Balst for normal/steel. Ev in speed and special attack for best results
Haunter is still great in NU.

@Choice Scarf
252 sp.attack, 252 speed, 4 HP
Timid/Modest
Levitate
-Shadow Ball
-Sludge Bomb
-HP ground/fighting
-Trick/Thunderbolt

This set is similar to the gengar set but here haunter outspeed the entire unboosted tier nothing to explain really.

Hunter can run a sub disable in NU with HP fighting or Sludge bomb instead of focus blast cause Hunter sadly doesn't learn focus miss.

Also Black Sludge>Leftovers Jesus freak already explained it once you want to hurt rotom-S (in NU) not give him leftovers and you are quicker than it anyway so.. it also loses a turn to give it back.

Zachmac

Gengar:

-Shadowball
-Focus Blast
-Icy Wind
-Counter
-Foucus Band

Meh, a bit of a gimmick, but I guess Counter is worth mentioning under other options with focus sash. Then it could make a decent lead and hopefully get rid of a Scizor early in the battle.

Focus Band only has a 10% chance to activate, though. I really oppose to use that.

StreetFlare

Master of Flame
Ok, I consulted with my Ghost-expert friend, and here's his set. I've made a few alterations, because he had Flame Orb and Trick as options, mostly because he doesn't run Trick on anything and forgot about the lack of Klutz.

The Brin-Gengar of Peace!
Gengar w/Black Sludge
EVs - 20 hp/ 252 Satk/ 36 spd
OR
220 hp/ 36 S Atk/ 252 spd
-Toxic/Will-o-wisp
-Venoshock/Sludge Bomb
-Shadow Ball/Ominous Wind
-Clear Smog/Focus Blast

Set premise is simple enough, make the most of Gengar's impressive speed to set up your status of choice. After that, it gets a little gimmicky. Venoshock and Toxic are the biggest status-gimmick around, and give reasonable coverage if you poison a wall not named Blissey. Sludge Bomb works better with WoW, and racks up massive damage. Again, the gimmick of the two is Ominous Wind, with the low-chance for an overall boost. Shadow Ball is the more likely move here, and again, gives decent coverage. Finally, your choice of either Focus Miss, for coverage, or Clear Smog to ruin a baton chain. Not that it's the best strategy, most players would likely attack Gengar in the middle of their chain, rather than go for another Shell Smash/Agility/Nasty Plot/Swords Dance/etc.

Be VERY careful of Mold Breaker EQ. Haxorus, Excadrill, any Mold Breaker abuser can potentially feast on Gengar with ground moves.

Rayofquazar

Gengar's family line concludes my top 3 favorite ghost types of all times: Gengar being #3, Gastly #2 and haunter #1 and for me the best ghost type since gen 1. Despite their secondary poison typing, rendering them weak to psychic type attacks, it gives a key resistance to grass types that other ghosts don't have. It's ability levitate, saves these pokemon from another common weakness to the ever present ground type attacks turning it into an immunity! This pokemon stats are very odd! So high in Sp ATT and SPEED but rather average to low in every other aspect, meaning that using gengar in some kind of manner other than a special sweeper will be a loss in it's true potential! Gengar's movepool is full of powerful special attacks, but also is full of fun and frustrating attacks such as disable, will-O-wisp and substitute. Gengar is one of few pokemon that can successfully use destiny bond to bring down a healthy pokemon with it!

A possible set for gengar
Gengar@Leftovers/ Choice scarf/specs
Ability levitate
Evs: 252 Sp ATT/ 252 Spd/ 4 HP
Nature +Sp ATT/ - ATT
Moveset:
-Shadow ball
-Sludge bomb
-Focus blast
-Substitute/ will-O-wisp/ pain split/ Thunderbolt/ Giga drain.

A standard sweeping set for the coiced gengar. Shadow ball and sludge bomb provide some decently strong stab attacks while focus blast rounds out the coverage by hitting dark and steel types hard! Thunderbolt is strong and hits flying types and especially bulky water types but giga drain can recover some needed HP! Substitute, and pain split on the other hand can allow you to last longer on the battlefield while will-O-wisp can cripple a physical attacker coming out to get rid of you!

Last edited:

tomjames1966

Blood Sucker
Giga Drain
Toxic
Substitute
Disable
@Black Sludge
252 HP/100 Sp.Atk/156 Spd

Genger is speedy, so he should be able to get a Sub up, After that just toxic, then disable and Giga Drain to heal up.

Counters: Steels, but the won't like Disable so hopefully you can force a switch. When faced with Scizor, try to Disable Bullet Punch (can't go to see if you will survive as the Damage calculator is down) and just switch out (or just try to stall and heal (slightly) with Giga Drain

Status
Not open for further replies.